I want to know if a swap is possible

Discuss anything related to drivetrain mods here (Engine &Transmission Swaps, lift, gearing, exhaust, etc)

Moderator: Staff

I want to know if a swap is possible

Postby kimble01 » Thu May 04, 2017 8:20 pm

Wikipedia lists several vehicles this transmission comes in. The most popular one (meaning plentiful) is the 1999 BMW 528i. Why couldn't one of those low-mile 4l30e's be used for a replacement? What are the issues? Anybody tried it? I searched for 4l30 and BMW in this forum...

Thanks in advance, and thanks Buster for answering on my other question. Same truck, but the pan turned out to have large chunks in it...so back to the drawing board.
kimble01
Drives on Pavement

Have thanks: 0 time

Sponsor

Re: I want to know if a swap is possible

Postby DSUZU » Thu May 04, 2017 10:02 pm

Question is, what do you want to swap it into? The majority are 4x4s. We learned from Jerry that the output shafts are different between the 4x4 and the 2wd automatics (there is a removable extension case on the 2wd and it has the same pattern as the transfer case). Beyond that, the output shaft on the BMW tranny may be altogether different. More than likely (but I'm not positive) the bell housing pattern will be different. Dennis
1991 LS Trooper 2.8 V6 5 speed conversion (Sold)
1989 LS Spacecab 2.6 5 speed 4x4 manual hubs, Rodeo torsion bars, extended shackles, 2" lift, K&N airfilter (drop in), dump bed conversion, burgundy interior change, warn brush bar.
Previously owned: 1987 Trooper II LS, 1989 Trooper (parts only), 1994 Trooper 3.2 Auto, 1997 Rodeo 2.6 5 speed, 1993 shortbed pickup 2.3 (project - sold) 1992 Rodeo 4x4 LS (parts car, devoured by Spacecab needs) plus some 70 plus other non Isuzu vehicles over the years.

http://forum.planetisuzoo.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=64060

The American dream is getting farther and farther away from the American.

If your wife has 5.00, and you have 20.00, your wife has...25.00

"Water is one of the greatest essentials of life. Without water, you can't make coffee."
DSUZU
I am the Stig

Have thanks: 619 times

Postby nasty610 » Fri May 05, 2017 7:16 am

The bellhousing pattern is completely different on pretty much all the applications. As far as I know Isuzu is the only company that used the optional lower ratio gearset. All the cars used the standard taller gearset and I can tell you first hand it sucks. I have a 95 525i with a 4l30 and it's unblieveby slow off the line. My 91 Trooper v6 is actually faster until my 525 can hit 2nd and 4000rpms. The only plus side to the BMW version is the deeper oil pan.
1996 Isuzu Trooper Base model
Front t-bar crank, Rear lifted with 1st gen Grand Cherokee Coils, Cooper Discovery AT3 265/75R16
1991 Trooper Base Model
HD Sway-a-Way torsion bars, Sweet Camo Paint(adds 50 hp), Snowflakes w/ Firestone Destination LE2 265/75r16
Lift Coil Spring Options
Add-a-Leaf kits and Part Numbers
Longer Shocks for your Lifted Isuzu
nasty610
Zu Royalty

Have thanks: 208 times

Postby kimble01 » Fri May 05, 2017 7:44 am

DSUZU wrote:Question is, what do you want to swap it into? The majority are 4x4s. We learned from Jerry that the output shafts are different between the 4x4 and the 2wd automatics (there is a removable extension case on the 2wd and it has the same pattern as the transfer case). Beyond that, the output shaft on the BMW tranny may be altogether different. More than likely (but I'm not positive) the bell housing pattern will be different. Dennis

No Dennis you misunderstand me. I want to use one of those transmissions in my truck. I have 2 bad transmissions that i could scavenge parts from, like the bellhousing, to make it work. I looked at pictures of the BMW transmission and can tell the electrical connectors are completely different, looks like the bimmer uses a single connection. Taller gear ratio might not be all that bad, not wanting to race it anyway...and I can get one of these from car-part from $60! The cheapest one that is from a rodeo is $450 from the same source!
kimble01
Drives on Pavement

Postby nasty610 » Fri May 05, 2017 10:50 am

It's not about racing. The fact is the taller ratios make getting the vehicle moving a real pain and requires a lot of throttle. My 525 weights about the same as my 91 Trooper but has another 70 hp. Around town the car is a complete dog and won't accelerate with traffic unless I really get in the throttle. My Trooper on the other hand is quite manageable and I rarely need more then 1/2 throttle to keep up. If I had the taller gears in the Trooper I'd be at full throttle just trying to leave a stop light with traffic. Unless you plan on adding a lot of power I'd suggest staying with an isuzu spec'd 4l30.
1996 Isuzu Trooper Base model
Front t-bar crank, Rear lifted with 1st gen Grand Cherokee Coils, Cooper Discovery AT3 265/75R16
1991 Trooper Base Model
HD Sway-a-Way torsion bars, Sweet Camo Paint(adds 50 hp), Snowflakes w/ Firestone Destination LE2 265/75r16
Lift Coil Spring Options
Add-a-Leaf kits and Part Numbers
Longer Shocks for your Lifted Isuzu
nasty610
Zu Royalty

Have thanks: 208 times

Postby kimble01 » Fri May 05, 2017 12:38 pm

nasty610 wrote:It's not about racing. The fact is the taller ratios make getting the vehicle moving a real pain and requires a lot of throttle. My 525 weights about the same as my 91 Trooper but has another 70 hp. Around town the car is a complete dog and won't accelerate with traffic unless I really get in the throttle. My Trooper on the other hand is quite manageable and I rarely need more then 1/2 throttle to keep up. If I had the taller gears in the Trooper I'd be at full throttle just trying to leave a stop light with traffic. Unless you plan on adding a lot of power I'd suggest staying with an isuzu spec'd 4l30.

Ah ok, I'm listening...damn.
kimble01
Drives on Pavement

Return to Drivetrain Mods