Isuzu SUV Forum banner

I want to know if a swap is possible

2K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  trooper777 
#1 ·
Wikipedia lists several vehicles this transmission comes in. The most popular one (meaning plentiful) is the 1999 BMW 528i. Why couldn't one of those low-mile 4l30e's be used for a replacement? What are the issues? Anybody tried it? I searched for 4l30 and BMW in this forum...

Thanks in advance, and thanks Buster for answering on my other question. Same truck, but the pan turned out to have large chunks in it...so back to the drawing board.

#2 ·
Question is, what do you want to swap it into? The majority are 4x4s. We learned from Jerry that the output shafts are different between the 4x4 and the 2wd automatics (there is a removable extension case on the 2wd and it has the same pattern as the transfer case). Beyond that, the output shaft on the BMW tranny may be altogether different. More than likely (but I'm not positive) the bell housing pattern will be different. Dennis

#3 ·
The bellhousing pattern is completely different on pretty much all the applications. As far as I know Isuzu is the only company that used the optional lower ratio gearset. All the cars used the standard taller gearset and I can tell you first hand it sucks. I have a 95 525i with a 4l30 and it's unblieveby slow off the line. My 91 Trooper v6 is actually faster until my 525 can hit 2nd and 4000rpms. The only plus side to the BMW version is the deeper oil pan.

#4 ·
DSUZU said:
Question is, what do you want to swap it into? The majority are 4x4s. We learned from Jerry that the output shafts are different between the 4x4 and the 2wd automatics (there is a removable extension case on the 2wd and it has the same pattern as the transfer case). Beyond that, the output shaft on the BMW tranny may be altogether different. More than likely (but I'm not positive) the bell housing pattern will be different. Dennis
No Dennis you misunderstand me. I want to use one of those transmissions in my truck. I have 2 bad transmissions that i could scavenge parts from, like the bellhousing, to make it work. I looked at pictures of the BMW transmission and can tell the electrical connectors are completely different, looks like the bimmer uses a single connection. Taller gear ratio might not be all that bad, not wanting to race it anyway...and I can get one of these from car-part from $60! The cheapest one that is from a rodeo is $450 from the same source!

#5 ·
It's not about racing. The fact is the taller ratios make getting the vehicle moving a real pain and requires a lot of throttle. My 525 weights about the same as my 91 Trooper but has another 70 hp. Around town the car is a complete dog and won't accelerate with traffic unless I really get in the throttle. My Trooper on the other hand is quite manageable and I rarely need more then 1/2 throttle to keep up. If I had the taller gears in the Trooper I'd be at full throttle just trying to leave a stop light with traffic. Unless you plan on adding a lot of power I'd suggest staying with an isuzu spec'd 4l30.

#6 ·
nasty610 said:
It's not about racing. The fact is the taller ratios make getting the vehicle moving a real pain and requires a lot of throttle. My 525 weights about the same as my 91 Trooper but has another 70 hp. Around town the car is a complete dog and won't accelerate with traffic unless I really get in the throttle. My Trooper on the other hand is quite manageable and I rarely need more then 1/2 throttle to keep up. If I had the taller gears in the Trooper I'd be at full throttle just trying to leave a stop light with traffic. Unless you plan on adding a lot of power I'd suggest staying with an isuzu spec'd 4l30.
Ah ok, I'm listening...damn.

#7 ·
I'm running a 4l30 from a BMW in my 91 tooper. Needed the original T converter but otherwise just bolted on the transfer case and away I went. Biggest pain so far has been I have a trans fluid leak and since the BMW trans I used doesn't have a top fluid fill. Have to pump fluid in from the bottom.
As for gearing, feels like top gear might be a little higher, but other than that, gets out of the hole as well as with the orginal trans. 1st gear and 2nd are fairly short.

#8 ·
BMW used a taller 1st and 2nd gearset then Isuzu. 3rd and 4th are identical. I'm honestly not sure how your Trooper feels the same with either transmission installed. I have one of each in their respective cars and my BMW is definitely slower off the line.

How did you add the transfer case to the BMW trans? Or did you convert to 2wd?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.