Power Steering rebuild

Discuss anything related to drivetrain mods here (Engine &Transmission Swaps, lift, gearing, exhaust, etc)

Moderator: Staff

Power Steering rebuild

Postby jakparady » Mon May 01, 2017 6:46 pm

Hi all, I apologize if there is a longer existing thread answering these questions but I looked briefly and didn't find what I needed.

First: anyone running an aftermarket power steering fluid cooler? I want to add the inline tube and fin style (just a single loop, nothing extreme) when I replace my gearbox and pressure lines.

Which leads me to the second question: since the cooler goes on the return side of the gearbox, and the OEM return hose has a rigid section across the bottom of the radiator: can I use 3/8" power steering return line the whole way back to the reservoir? Would work on a diagram to explain my thoughts but doesn't seem worth the time...
(Other automotive forums seem to say as long as the return line can handle light pressure and resist the fluid, it'll work.)

Also I plan to rebuild pump instead of buy new, since I'm already spending the money on the new gearbox. Am I safe on that? Or should I be ensuring long life by replacing all with new...?

Thanks all.
MINNESOTA
Anyone else here????
94 Trooper, Manual
LT265/70/R16 Hankook Dynapro ATM (295/75/16 Dynapro MT soon)
OME 3" Expedition Duty Springs/Coils (+ 2" Daystar Spacers)
3" indy4x BL
2 100w KC Hilites (front grill guard) I hit a chevy! oops...still kinda proud though.
6 55w Blazers (up top)
2 55w Hella Fogs (grill guard)
ARB safari Snorkel
Homemade Rear tube-style Bumper Guard
Homemade Roof Rack 6' x 4'
jakparady
Drives on Gravel

Have thanks: 1 time

Sponsor

Re: Power Steering rebuild

Postby BigSwede » Mon May 01, 2017 10:07 pm

First: Not that I have heard of.

Second: I would think it would work.

I replaced my gearbox with a rebuild from rockauto. Turns out they are made in Cambridge, MN, just up the road.
95 Trooper LS - 4" lift, 35" tires, 5.38 gears, ARB lockers
Indy4x Revolution 3.07:1 low range gears, Indy4x HD tie rods, homemade sway bar disconnects, Calmini HD sway bars, Darlington diff drop, OME 929 coil springs + 1" poly spacers and 1" body lift, Indy4x HD torsion bars, Indy4x HD rear axle links, Indy4x Kevlar brake lines, ARB bullbar, custom rear bumper with swing-out dual jerry can carrier, rock sliders, Sears Platinum Group 31 battery, ARB mini-compressor, Indy4x kevlar air lines, Warn M8000 winch, Blue Sea 6006 winch cutoff switch, Yaesu FT-1900R 2-meter ham radio, Larsen MHW-150C 1/2 wave antenna, Cobra 18WXST CB radio, Firestik II CB antenna, IPF driving lights, generic fog lights, two (2) Blue Sea auxiliary fuse panels, sleeping platform, and outofrshell Dave's custom 1" shifter extension. (I actually typed this list as a joke but people seem to like it.)
BigSwede
I am the Stig

Have thanks: 252 times

Re: Power Steering rebuild

Postby geoffinbc » Wed May 03, 2017 10:43 am

Yes you can use standard power steering return line with simple hose clamps. I tossed the stock metal loop cooler. You can use almost any style cooler. It only needs to be a little one. I like to grab ones off full size trucks.
1990 Trooper, 3.2L (3.1L .040 over) Pushrod V6, 5 speed manual. 33X10.50X15 BFG M/T KM2's. 3" OME Lift. Cowl Induction Intake. ARB Lockers front and rear. HD Tierods.
Off the road for an overhaul right now.

Big Bore Intake Kits & Greasable Shackles Here
geoffinbc
I am the Stig

Have thanks: 323 times

Return to Drivetrain Mods