New MUA5 Problem

Discuss anything related to drivetrain mods here (Engine &Transmission Swaps, lift, gearing, exhaust, etc)

Moderator: Staff

New MUA5 Problem

Postby Johnny V » Mon May 01, 2017 8:13 am

I bought a 4x4 MUA5 off Ebay a few weeks back. My 01 Rodeo was a V6, 2wd with an MUA5. The 4x4 was said to have been off of an 01 V6. I don't plan on a 4wd conversion but I bought that trans so I can have low range without needing to worry about the speedo or wiring. The problem I'm having is that this transmission does not have the same bellhousing pattern as my 2wd transmission. It won't bolt to the adapter that the 2wd transmission bolted to. Not really even close. I can drill new bolt holes if I have to but I'm curious as to the reason its different. Was there another version of the MUA5? Did the 2wd and 4wd differ in patterns? If it was off of the vehicle they claimed(there were pictures of an 01 that was supposed to be the donor) then it had the same 3.2 that my truck had and I can't imagine that Isuzu would use multiple patterns on engines in the same family from the same era. Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Johnny V
Drives on Gravel

Have thanks: 1 time

Sponsor

Re: New MUA5 Problem

Postby egagnon086 » Mon May 01, 2017 8:21 am

What year is your 3.2, is it SOHC or DOHC? I've been told the pre 98 3.2 is completely different from the post98 3.2. I don't know any other vehicle that even used the Mua5, so it would presumably out of some Zu.
egagnon086
Zu Royalty

Have thanks: 92 times

Postby gwana66 » Mon May 01, 2017 9:28 am

The 3.2 has two bolt patterns on the block - one is the GM 60 degree pattern, the other is unique to Isuzu. I'm not sure why your 2WD trans has an adapter unless it's a Borg Warner adapted to the GM pattern, but any MUA5 should bolt directly to the engine block without an adapter. Isuzu used a GM-sourced automatic, so the 4L30e bolts up to the 60 degree pattern. The MUA5 bolts to the other.

Edit: Reading your history, you have an LS1 hooked up to an Isuzu trans using a GM 60 degree to GM 90 degree adapter plate? Then you have a manual trans from a GM-sourced 2.8 or 3.1 engine. Those had the GM 60 degree bellhousing. The manuals on the Isuzu 3.2 had the Isuzu pattern. It's possible to swap the front halves of the transmissions to have the right bell.
98 Amigo, 2.2 5sp 4x4, 4.77 gears and factory LSD.
Power nothing - No power windows, no power locks, no power engine. ;)
Even the hubs are manual now.
2003 Grille and headlight swap
gwana66
Zu Royalty

Have thanks: 198 times

Postby Johnny V » Mon May 01, 2017 11:20 pm

gwana66 wrote:Edit: Reading your history, you have an LS1 hooked up to an Isuzu trans using a GM 60 degree to GM 90 degree adapter plate? Then you have a manual trans from a GM-sourced 2.8 or 3.1 engine. Those had the GM 60 degree bellhousing. The manuals on the Isuzu 3.2 had the Isuzu pattern. It's possible to swap the front halves of the transmissions to have the right bell.

It's a 5.3 truck motor but yes. I've had the truck for 5+ years and have never touched the drivetrain until the LS swap. I didn't buy it new but I wouldn't have thought anyone would have changed anything. I don't have the 3.2 I took out of it on hand, its in storage. I was going to use the top end on a 3.2 SOHC Trooper but the members here let me know the parts won't interchange. The bellhousing is gigantic on the MUA but if they will interchange then I should be able to take the one off my 2wd trans and install it on the 4wd trans. I'm starting to wish I would have just thrown a supercharger on the damn thing and not touched the LS.
Johnny V
Drives on Gravel

Have thanks: 1 time

Postby mudoilngears » Tue May 02, 2017 10:02 am

The bell-housing on the transmission side is same on all MUA5s Just swap the housing over. You have to take to front bearing retainer off, then remove two circlips. After that remove the bolts that hold the housing to the transmission and tap it off. Shouldn't take more than 20 minutes, I did it with the transmission in the vehicle.
1998 Rodeo LS 4x4 4JB1-TC Diesel Swap, more mods to come!

SOLD- :( 1990 Isuzu Amigo 4X4 4ZE1 engine. Front Aussie Locker, HD Sway Away T-bars,Smittybilt XRC8 winch.
Build in progress...
mudoilngears
Expedition Ready

Have thanks: 64 times

Return to Drivetrain Mods