2.3 to 2.6 in 87 Trooper

Discuss anything related to drivetrain mods here (Engine &Transmission Swaps, lift, gearing, exhaust, etc)

Moderator: Staff

2.3 to 2.6 in 87 Trooper

Postby bstrooper » Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:45 am

I need some help. I have been trying to complete an engine swap from my running 89 with a 2.6 to a non running 87 that had a 2.3. The 89 was is an accident so I decided to do the engine swap and use the 87 that was in good shape other than the engine. I got the engine into the 87, almost 100% completely installed, when I realized that the oil pan was rubbing on the axle. I then removed the engine and swapped oil pans. So now I have a 2.6 with a 2.3 and oil pan (and intake and carb, but that had been done a while ago and was running good before the swap). I have now completely reinstalled the engine and everything seems to be good. The problem is that it will only crank over 2 or 3 times before the battery acts like it is dead and the starter just clicks. I have a battery charger on it and after about 10 minutes it will do the same thing. But all the while the headlights seam to be plenty bright. I have had the battery tested by napa and they say its good, I have tried other used batteries with the same results, I have tried a different starter with the same results. It was working fine before I removed it from the 89. I feel like I might have a bad ground somewhere, but not sure where. I did find 1 braided metal ground strap that is about 6"-8" with the round connectors that bolt in place, but I can't find anywhere to put it and it might have come from a different project. On the engine I currently have the main battery ground bolted in behind the power steering, a ground running from the wiper motor to the valve cover, and one from the inside fender to a bell housing bolt by the oil dipstick. Do I need something one the intake manifold?

I am also having a hard time finding top dead center to install the distributor, I might try to take off the valve cover, I think that there are some marks on the gears that I can line up. Any advise would be great. Thanks

Ben
Ben
89 trooper 2.6 itec daily driver
86 trooper II blown motor
bstrooper
Drives on Gravel

Have thanks: 1 time

Sponsor

Re: 2.3 to 2.6 in 87 Trooper

Postby DSUZU » Sun Apr 23, 2017 1:17 pm

1. 10 minutes on a battery charger will only give a surface charge at best. Really need a slow overnight trickle charge to bring battery all the way up.
2. Need good cables and good connections all the way from battery to engine block and starter terminal. If you have access to a vole meter, check voltage: post to post, then clap to post (each way) then post to engine end of the cables. If you drop more than a half a volt anywhere you have a problem.
3 Yes, timing can make a big problem here. Set engine so the mark on the cam is aligned with the marl on the cover and time to number FOUR cylinder (check inside cap). The OEM ground cables had a place halfway down the cable where it bolted to body and at end where it bolted to block. There were other body - block grounds as well. Dennis
1991 LS Trooper 2.8 V6 5 speed conversion (Sold)
1989 LS Spacecab 2.6 5 speed 4x4 manual hubs, Rodeo torsion bars, extended shackles, 2" lift, K&N airfilter (drop in), dump bed conversion, burgundy interior change, warn brush bar.
Previously owned: 1987 Trooper II LS, 1989 Trooper (parts only), 1994 Trooper 3.2 Auto, 1997 Rodeo 2.6 5 speed, 1993 shortbed pickup 2.3 (project - sold) 1992 Rodeo 4x4 LS (parts car, devoured by Spacecab needs) plus some 70 plus other non Isuzu vehicles over the years.

http://forum.planetisuzoo.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=64060

The American dream is getting farther and farther away from the American.

If your wife has 5.00, and you have 20.00, your wife has...25.00

"Water is one of the greatest essentials of life. Without water, you can't make coffee."
DSUZU
I am the Stig

Have thanks: 619 times

Return to Drivetrain Mods