Lifting/improving a 92 troop

Discuss anything related to drivetrain mods here (Engine &Transmission Swaps, lift, gearing, exhaust, etc)

Moderator: Staff

Lifting/improving a 92 troop

Postby kipkasper » Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:38 pm

Hey guys,

I'm a pretty solid gumby when it comes to this kind of thing, but I've got a buddy who's lifted his taco recently and it got me thinking. My trooper is great, I've made it in to plenty of rough places and don't really have any issues with clearance of performance off roading with it stock, however, it is a 25 year old vehicle and the suspension is fairly mushy. If I hit a divot in the road I feel it, any kind of successive impacts are bad news, you get the picture. Is there a way to "spruce" up the suspension for around $500 or less? It's got 230k on it, so I'm not psyched on putting loads of cash into it, but a smoother ride would indeed be nice, and I think it would look good if it rode an inch or two higher as a side effect. Ride is much more important though.
kipkasper
Drives on Gravel

Have thanks: 0 time

Sponsor

Re: Lifting/improving a 92 troop

Postby BigSwede » Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:03 pm

You won't need to spend that much! Yes, the stock springs are very soft, so some OME coils for around $170 (you have 3 choices of lift/load rating), adjust the front torsion bars to match, and you will love the ride. Also wouldn't hurt to replace the sway bar bushings with polyurethane, really tightens up the handling and only costs about $50. Now get an alignment to fix the camber after the lift and you are still under budget.
95 Trooper LS - 4" lift, 35" tires, 5.38 gears, ARB lockers
Indy4x Revolution 3.07:1 low range gears, Indy4x HD tie rods, homemade sway bar disconnects, Calmini HD sway bars, Darlington diff drop, OME 929 coil springs + 1" poly spacers and 1" body lift, Indy4x HD torsion bars, Indy4x HD rear axle links, Indy4x Kevlar brake lines, ARB bullbar, custom rear bumper with swing-out dual jerry can carrier, rock sliders, Sears Platinum Group 31 battery, ARB mini-compressor, Indy4x kevlar air lines, Warn M8000 winch, Blue Sea 6006 winch cutoff switch, Yaesu FT-1900R 2-meter ham radio, Larsen MHW-150C 1/2 wave antenna, Cobra 18WXST CB radio, Firestik II CB antenna, IPF driving lights, generic fog lights, two (2) Blue Sea auxiliary fuse panels, sleeping platform, and outofrshell Dave's custom 1" shifter extension. (I actually typed this list as a joke but people seem to like it.)
BigSwede
I am the Stig

Have thanks: 253 times

Postby kipkasper » Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:50 pm

So you're saying to lift the front just tighten the torsion bars? No new shocks needed? It's the front end that seems especially mushy.
kipkasper
Drives on Gravel

Have thanks: 0 time

Postby Hack » Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:34 pm

First, look for worn components especially the ball joints and tie rod ends,

Next, check the shocks.

If you have money left over, maybe this post will help. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=87959
Mario

Daily Driver: 1995 Trooper Limited, Auto, 3.2L DOHC, Rear LSD, HD Torsion Bars, Moog Cc812s, Cooper Discoverer A/T3 245/70-16
Trail Truck: 2001 Amigo, Auto, 3.2L, Rear LSD, Front Aussie Locker, DOR Drop Dif, HD Torsion Bars, OME 912s, BFG M/T KA2 33x10.5R15
RIP: 1988 Troop 2.6L 5spd. Burnt valve(s). Damaged frame. Parted out. Sent to crusher.
RIP: 1998 4WD Rodeo, Auto, 3.2L -- Ruined by Daughter #1 with Russian assistance. Parted out. Sent to crusher.
RIP: 1989 Troop 2.6L 5spd --- Stripped of all good parts. Body and rotted frame sent to the crusher.
RIP: 1999 2WD Amigo, Auto, 3.2L -- Engine blown and body damaged by Daughter #2. Parted out. Sent to crusher.
Hack
I am the Stig

Have thanks: 130 times

Postby BigSwede » Sat Apr 22, 2017 10:40 pm

kipkasper wrote:So you're saying to lift the front just tighten the torsion bars? No new shocks needed? It's the front end that seems especially mushy.

Mario's comment above is good advice if your front end is "mushy".

But to answer your question, the ride height for the front IFS is adjustable. There is an large (27mm) adjustment bolt at the back end of the torsion bar. You can adjust several inches up or down from stock without much issue. While new shocks wouldn't hurt as a general thing, they aren't required for this sort of lift because you aren't changing the amount of suspension travel, you are changing where you are riding within that travel. In other words, the lift is exchanging down travel for up travel. Taken to the extreme, the ride will suck and even be unsafe without enough down travel available for the suspension. But you can lift a couple of inches this way no problem.
95 Trooper LS - 4" lift, 35" tires, 5.38 gears, ARB lockers
Indy4x Revolution 3.07:1 low range gears, Indy4x HD tie rods, homemade sway bar disconnects, Calmini HD sway bars, Darlington diff drop, OME 929 coil springs + 1" poly spacers and 1" body lift, Indy4x HD torsion bars, Indy4x HD rear axle links, Indy4x Kevlar brake lines, ARB bullbar, custom rear bumper with swing-out dual jerry can carrier, rock sliders, Sears Platinum Group 31 battery, ARB mini-compressor, Indy4x kevlar air lines, Warn M8000 winch, Blue Sea 6006 winch cutoff switch, Yaesu FT-1900R 2-meter ham radio, Larsen MHW-150C 1/2 wave antenna, Cobra 18WXST CB radio, Firestik II CB antenna, IPF driving lights, generic fog lights, two (2) Blue Sea auxiliary fuse panels, sleeping platform, and outofrshell Dave's custom 1" shifter extension. (I actually typed this list as a joke but people seem to like it.)
BigSwede
I am the Stig

Have thanks: 253 times

Postby Hack » Sun Apr 23, 2017 10:57 am

If you look at the thread I gave you, you will see a link to a post by Nasty that provides lots of options for rear coil springs. Raising the front is just a matter of tightening the torsion bars. The issue is that you are trading off lift for suspension travel. IMHO raising the front more than 2.5-3" is not advisable because as Swede said "the ride will suck and even be unsafe without enough down travel available for the suspension."
Mario

Daily Driver: 1995 Trooper Limited, Auto, 3.2L DOHC, Rear LSD, HD Torsion Bars, Moog Cc812s, Cooper Discoverer A/T3 245/70-16
Trail Truck: 2001 Amigo, Auto, 3.2L, Rear LSD, Front Aussie Locker, DOR Drop Dif, HD Torsion Bars, OME 912s, BFG M/T KA2 33x10.5R15
RIP: 1988 Troop 2.6L 5spd. Burnt valve(s). Damaged frame. Parted out. Sent to crusher.
RIP: 1998 4WD Rodeo, Auto, 3.2L -- Ruined by Daughter #1 with Russian assistance. Parted out. Sent to crusher.
RIP: 1989 Troop 2.6L 5spd --- Stripped of all good parts. Body and rotted frame sent to the crusher.
RIP: 1999 2WD Amigo, Auto, 3.2L -- Engine blown and body damaged by Daughter #2. Parted out. Sent to crusher.
Hack
I am the Stig

Have thanks: 130 times

Return to Drivetrain Mods