Trooper '98 drive train into '02

Discuss anything related to drivetrain mods here (Engine &Transmission Swaps, lift, gearing, exhaust, etc)

Moderator: Staff

Trooper '98 drive train into '02

Postby Damifino » Sun Mar 26, 2017 11:39 pm

Hey all glad to be a member of the forum. I have been a proud owner of a 2002 Trooper for about a year now. Recently I ran into some major problems. First I had an electrical problem that was causing transmission lights to come on and all kinds of issue. Turned out to be a bad wire in harness. But the big problem is the rod knock my engine has developed.

To get to the point of my post. I found a 1998 Trooper that has been rolled. It only had a 117k miles and had just had a timing belt and water pump installed before roll. Runs strong and I was able to drive it home. The part I am excited about is that it has a manual transmission. I originally planned on just an engine swap but I really want the manual transmission. I wonder if anyone has done a similar swap and has pointers. I know I will have to change ECM, instrument cluster, center console and of course clutch pedal and countless other things. Just looking for some pointers before I dive in. Any help is appreciated.
Damifino
Drives on Pavement

Have thanks: 0 time

Sponsor

Re: Trooper '98 drive train into '02

Postby Buster28 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 5:43 am

The 98 engine has a mechanical throttle control system. The 02 has an electronic throttle control system and Ion Sensing Ignition system. To simplify the engine swap it would better to use the 02 electronic body/intake manifold and Ion Sense Ignition with the 98 engine imho.

This thread shows how to install an Aisin AR-5 manual transmission in a Trooper like yours.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=87739
Last edited by Buster28 on Mon Mar 27, 2017 6:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
02 Rodeo Sport 4X4 3.2L V6
01 Rodeo Sport 4X4 3.2L V6
Buster28
4L30E Guru

Have thanks: 876 times

Postby Damifino » Mon Mar 27, 2017 5:49 am

Thanks for the reply. Did you mean to link a thread for the manual transmission install? Will using the electronic throttle control system work with the ECM on the 98? Im new to all this electronic garbage, alway owned old vehicles before this.
Damifino
Drives on Pavement

Postby Buster28 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 5:59 am

Damifino wrote:Thanks for the reply. Did you mean to link a thread for the manual transmission install? Will using the electronic throttle control system work with the ECM on the 98? Im new to all this electronic garbage, alway owned old vehicles before this.
]

It is a lot of work to replace the PM and PCM wiring, Ignition system wiring etc etc. I think it is easier just deal with the mechanical bits. Forgot to post the link in the earlier post, it is there now
Buster28
4L30E Guru

Postby Damifino » Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:07 am

Thanks for the link and info. Im gonna have to find a ECM for a manual or get mine reprogrammed. Any idea if I ditched the TOD transfer case and used the one out of the 98 if I would have problems? I would like to be able to take the instrument cluster from the 98 and put in the 02 if I do that. I know a lot of this will be trial and error but I am sure someone has done this at some point. Just want to take as much advantage of this donor rig as I can and simplify the process where I can.
Damifino
Drives on Pavement

Postby Damifino » Fri Mar 31, 2017 1:40 am

Anybody got lead on anew ecm for a manual or a place to get mine reprogrammed? Been watching eBay but everything it for auto.
Damifino
Drives on Pavement

Postby Damifino » Fri Mar 31, 2017 7:30 pm

Well I ordered another AT ECM off of ebay and I found a group that say they can reflash it to manual for 125.00 if it fails I only pay shipping. I guess it that doesnt work I will just stick with the automatic TOD system for now. So far I have just been swapping a bum fender and door off my my rig that were actually still intact on donor rig. Dad pulled the radiator on donor rig today and started getting things ready to pull that motor. He is hoping I just stay with automatic and save some work but I would rather do it now than later. I am sure I am going to have wiring harness questions later so hopefully some of you guys will chip in soon. I am going to comb over the article that was linked to me and a few more and try to get myself prepared.
Damifino
Drives on Pavement

Postby Damifino » Tue Apr 04, 2017 3:50 pm

Finally found a manual transmission ECM and have it on the way. Decided to just do a body swap after I realized whoever had this trooper had recently replaced almost all components under the front end. Should have one body off by friday and hopefully the other next week.
Damifino
Drives on Pavement

Postby Damifino » Fri May 05, 2017 1:30 pm

Ok I may have just slipped into a minor panic mode. Wound up just swapping my body on to the donor rig. Ordered a manual transmission ECM for my 02. I changed the gauge cluster from the 98 into the 02. Everything plugged up with a few minor differences with some plugs not being used and what not. I expected this going from an automatic to a manual. I did find a couple of plugs when swapping the intake manifold I did not expect. Looked like a speed sensor and maybe an oil pressure sensor, not sure, under the intake that I did not have on my 02.
Long story shortened up. I still have to add fluids and bleed everything but I couldnt help but stick the key in and turn it to the on position once I hooked the battery up. Nothing happens on the dash at all. The high beam indicator flickers when you put on high beams but only flickers. NOTHING else works........help
Damifino
Drives on Pavement

Postby Damifino » Fri May 05, 2017 7:27 pm

Swapping back old gauge cluster all lights seem to work but car is still not attempting to turn over......so confused
Damifino
Drives on Pavement

Postby Buster28 » Sat May 06, 2017 11:52 am

Damifino wrote:Swapping back old gauge cluster all lights seem to work but car is still not attempting to turn over......so confused

When you removed the Auto transmission you removed the starting motor Neutral Safety switch. You have to replicate that function with a clutch operated switch. Discussed in this thread:
Buster28
4L30E Guru

Postby Damifino » Sat May 06, 2017 12:02 pm

Buster28 wrote:
Damifino wrote:Swapping back old gauge cluster all lights seem to work but car is still not attempting to turn over......so confused

When you removed the Auto transmission you removed the starting motor Neutral Safety switch. You have to replicate that function with a clutch operated switch. Discussed in this thread:

Looking into that today. My main mistake is assuming the wiring harness under dash would work with auto or manual. It has the wires to plug into the clutch pedal assembly but apparently they dont do anything.
Damifino
Drives on Pavement

Postby Tg16 » Tue May 09, 2017 1:39 am

if you are still having issues the following is what is different on the 98 vs 02

I have one of each of these.

1. TOD system is slightly Different The ECU for the 98 and 02 are not compatible
2. Transmission the 98 is a non pwm 4l30e the 02 is a PWM trans (Meaning 02 had Decent control feature)
3. ECM is vastly different between the 2
4. Ion Ignition system
5. Fly By Wire Throttle
6. 98 does not have Condenser fan for AC
7. ABS ECU maybe different as one of mine is Bosch and other is Kelsey hayes
8. Auto AC was standard on O2 and 98 May have had it depending on model
9. Engine Compartment Temp Sensor for Ac not present in 98 model
1998 SLX
2000 Trooper
2002 Rodeo
Tg16
Drives on Gravel

Have thanks: 1 time

Postby flydex28 » Tue May 09, 2017 4:27 am

Damifino wrote:
Buster28 wrote:

Looking into that today. My main mistake is assuming the wiring harness under dash would work with auto or manual. It has the wires to plug into the clutch pedal assembly but apparently they dont do anything.

The connector under the dash that plugs into the clutch neutral safety switch wont work until you either bypass the safety switch completely, or wire it in yourself by extending the large red and yellow wires that went to the old RMS connector all the way up to the clutch pedal. With out doing one or the other the truck wont start.
-Chris-

2001 Isuzu Trooper LS, 4X4, 3.5L, AR-5 w/TOD swap, OME 919
Transmission swap thread: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=87739
flydex28
Has a Trail Truck

Have thanks: 14 times

Postby Damifino » Tue May 09, 2017 8:21 am

I got tired of fooling with it and not really having a clue so I stripped both cars and am completely changing all harnesses, ignition, dash, everything. A lot of work but I know the guages so be correct and everything will work. In the process of putting it back together today.
Damifino
Drives on Pavement

Postby Damifino » Wed May 10, 2017 9:25 pm

So I finally got it put back together today. I still have to bleed the clutch and brakes but she fired right up and dash lights up like she should. Two things didnt work, the interior lights (I think I know why) and oil pressure gauge (no idea why). Which wire is reading oil pressure? I know the gauge worked when I drove the donor rig home so somewhere in the swap it got messed up. I did cut the 4 wires that ran down behind the a/c compressor and splice them to save having to unhook everything and also one sensor under the intake dad cut and I spliced but not sure which one is giving me the issue.
Damifino
Drives on Pavement

Return to Drivetrain Mods