DOHC to SOHC Intake

Discuss anything related to drivetrain mods here (Engine &Transmission Swaps, lift, gearing, exhaust, etc)

Moderator: Staff

DOHC to SOHC Intake

Postby Johnny V » Mon Feb 27, 2017 7:57 am

To start, I'd like to mention that I have been a well employed tech for the last 13 years(mostly performance shops, one stint for FoMoCo and one for Harley). I also don't typically join forums however this one seems a step or two better than most out there.

My question is regarding compatibility between the 6vd1 engines. I currently own an 02 Rodeo and a 96 Trooper. I've had the Rodeo for 4 years, good little truck, but I needed it to tow more than what the DOHC 6vd1 was happy with. The single most common engine swap I perform at my shop is the GM LS so I naturally went that way with it(4.8 with 5.3 crank is what I used). Its an easy, straight forward and extremely effective swap by the way. It takes almost no time and is dirt cheap. I even re-used the mua5 with a Chevy V8 to 60* bellhousing adapter and stock clutch.

What that left me with is a perfectly operational DOHC 3.2 and nothing to do with it until I found a cheap Trooper. It had blown head gaskets but I figured it was still worth the 400 bucks I paid. What I would like to know is can I use a stock SOHC intake on the DOHC heads. I'm not a big fan of that goofy butterfly set-up in the DOHC and it really does look funny. Ideally I'd like to use the SOHC lower and make a sheet metal upper along the lines of the Ford 5.0 GT40 setup. Are there any hiccups I may come across in doing this? I'm not extremely concerned about electronics, I have a Mega Squirt that's been collecting dust for the last few years I can use if I have to. Thanks.
Johnny V
Drives on Gravel

Have thanks: 1 time

Sponsor

Re: DOHC to SOHC Intake

Postby egagnon086 » Mon Feb 27, 2017 3:41 pm

Hey Johnny V, Please enlighten us on the simple LS swap that bolts to the Mua5. I wouldn't mind going that route when my 3.2 dies.

Were is your shop and what would you quote to do the swap job. I'm sure there is a good market on this forum alone for such a swap.

thanks
Eric in N. GA
egagnon086
Zu Royalty

Have thanks: 92 times

Postby Johnny V » Mon Feb 27, 2017 6:02 pm

The swap that would bolt to the mua5 with no adapter is the LS4 however I chose not to go that route due to the fact that the starter bolts to the bellhousing. There have been a few people with Fiero's make adapters but I didn't want to deal with that.

Any LS will bolt to the mua5 with a 60* adapter. Technically the adapter is designed to work with a 60* engine and Chevy V8 transmission because nobody in their right mind would put an SBC, BBC or LSx in front of a 60* transmission. With the LS4 you would need a flywheel spacer. These are factory GM parts you can buy for little money. With any other LS you won't need them, the adapter takes care of the depth. A stock LS pressure plate and stock mua5 disc worked for me.

My shop is in Chattanooga, I usually charge around $1,500 plus parts for LS swaps that don't require steering or firewall modifications.

For this post the author Johnny V was thanked by:
celeborne
Johnny V
Drives on Gravel

Postby Hack » Mon Feb 27, 2017 6:46 pm

Are you the oldtimer john? If so, it has been a while. Welcome back. If not, welcome to the Planet.

Isuzu had 2 generations of 3.2s. The early ones 1992-1997 came in ether SOHC or DOHC. These engines had 3 coil packs mounted on a plate on top of the engine. Each coil operated 2 cylinders. The bottom ends of both were basically the same. I believe you could swap a DOHC directly into a truck set up for a SOHC and vice versa.

However, Isuzu redesigned the 3.2 in 1998. These later 3.2s have a coil pack on each cylinder, use a serpentine belt rather than 3 separate drive belts, and put out more power. Almost nothing on the 1998+ 3.2s is compatible with the earlier engines. (Even the fan rotates in the opposite direction.) Moreover, Isuzu went to a drive by wire system in 2001. So your engine will require the plenum and other parts (such as a cable operated throttle body) to work in 1998-2000 vehicles.

Sorry.
Mario

Daily Driver: 1995 Trooper Limited, Auto, 3.2L DOHC, Rear LSD, HD Torsion Bars, Moog Cc812s, Cooper Discoverer A/T3 245/70-16
Trail Truck: 2001 Amigo, Auto, 3.2L, Rear LSD, Front Aussie Locker, DOR Drop Dif, HD Torsion Bars, OME 912s, BFG M/T KA2 33x10.5R15
RIP: 1988 Troop 2.6L 5spd. Burnt valve(s). Damaged frame. Parted out. Sent to crusher.
RIP: 1998 4WD Rodeo, Auto, 3.2L -- Ruined by Daughter #1 with Russian assistance. Parted out. Sent to crusher.
RIP: 1989 Troop 2.6L 5spd --- Stripped of all good parts. Body and rotted frame sent to the crusher.
RIP: 1999 2WD Amigo, Auto, 3.2L -- Engine blown and body damaged by Daughter #2. Parted out. Sent to crusher.
Hack
I am the Stig

Have thanks: 128 times

Postby JLEMOND » Mon Feb 27, 2017 8:20 pm

Johnny V wrote:To start, I'd like to mention that I have been a well employed tech for the last 13 years(mostly performance shops, one stint for FoMoCo and one for Harley). I also don't typically join forums however this one seems a step or two better than most out there.

My question is regarding compatibility between the 6vd1 engines. I currently own an 02 Rodeo and a 96 Trooper. I've had the Rodeo for 4 years, good little truck, but I needed it to tow more than what the DOHC 6vd1 was happy with. The single most common engine swap I perform at my shop is the GM LS so I naturally went that way with it(4.8 with 5.3 crank is what I used). Its an easy, straight forward and extremely effective swap by the way. It takes almost no time and is dirt cheap. I even re-used the mua5 with a Chevy V8 to 60* bellhousing adapter and stock clutch.

What that left me with is a perfectly operational DOHC 3.2 and nothing to do with it until I found a cheap Trooper. It had blown head gaskets but I figured it was still worth the 400 bucks I paid. What I would like to know is can I use a stock SOHC intake on the DOHC heads. I'm not a big fan of that goofy butterfly set-up in the DOHC and it really does look funny. Ideally I'd like to use the SOHC lower and make a sheet metal upper along the lines of the Ford 5.0 GT40 setup. Are there any hiccups I may come across in doing this? I'm not extremely concerned about electronics, I have a Mega Squirt that's been collecting dust for the last few years I can use if I have to. Thanks.

WOULD NOT BE AN EASY SWAP TO DO, THE LOWER INTAKE MANIFOLD ON THE THE LATER DOHC IS COMPLETELY DIFF IN DESIGN THAN THE SOHC ENG ENGS , ON THE 96-97 AND ALL THE EARLY VV6 ENGS ALL THE INTAKE AND UPPER MANIFOLDS ARE SWAPPABLE ON THE ENGS BUT THEY ARE A LOT DIFF ON THE 98 AND LATER 3.2 AND THE 3.5 , WHAT YOU CNA DO IS JUST REMOVE THE BUTTER FLY VLV,S AND PLUG THE END HOLES IN THE MANIFOLD WHERE THE SHAFTS RIDE , BUT YOU WILL LOOSE A LOT OF LOW AND MID RANGE TORQUE. THOSE VLV,S/BUTTER FLY ARE DESIGNED TO STAY CLOSED UNTILL ABOTU 3600 RPM AND THEN THEY OPEN UP CREATING LONGER INTAKE RUNNERS FOR TOP END POWER
JLEMOND
I am the Stig

Have thanks: 247 times

Postby egagnon086 » Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:12 pm

I have a similar year rodeo sport as yours so just was wondering what it would cost to do the exact same swap with mine. I'd be fun having a v8 rumbling under the hood.
egagnon086
Zu Royalty

Have thanks: 92 times

Postby Johnny V » Tue Feb 28, 2017 6:33 am

egagnon086 wrote:I have a similar year rodeo sport as yours so just was wondering what it would cost to do the exact same swap with mine. I'd be fun having a v8 rumbling under the hood.

You aren't far from my shop up here in Chattanooga. But if you do it yourself, which can be done by anyone who has a little know-how and some decent tools, you can complete it for less than $1500. I paid 250 for the 4.8 that was ran with no oil pressure. It only scorched the mains and nothing else was hurt. Luckily the 5.3 crank was free(had it in the shop) and when used with 4.8 pistons you get a higher C/R and more power. The 4.8 and 5.3 are identical, the only differences are the stroke and pistons. 4.8 has flat tops, 5.3 is relieved. I have about $700 in mine but I have a lot of parts to rummage through that are free. If I were to do one for a customer I'd probably go with the LS4 and a starter plate. The LS4 is all aluminum, makes more power and won't require the adapter plate. A set of LSx universal mounts, a welder, some truck manifolds and a standard 0411 computer is all you need to finish the swap. I don't have the AC set-up but it shouldn't be hard. The LS engine is much smaller than the 3.2, especially at the top end. There are no clearance issues. Mine is mounted a little higher than I'd like because I wasn't sure about the steering shaft but I think I could have left it where is sat with the trans in the stock location and been fine.

If you pay a shop, expect about $3k or so all in. I wouldn't put $3k in a Rodeo personally but these are pretty solid little trucks. My 44 will certainly get an upgraded locker but the only thing I'm concerned about is the clutch disc. Obviously you can't use an LS disc and I don't know of an upgrade for the mua5.

But it sounds like I'm out of luck using the DOHC heads on the Trooper. The butterflies are just an odd design. They are basically what Yamaha used on the V-Max, and something that failed on the V-Max fairly often. Also a real PITA to clean. No, I've not been on this forum in the past. I have had quite a few Isuzu's though and am actively looking for a Vehicross to get my hands on. I've always liked those goofy looking little things.
Johnny V
Drives on Gravel

Postby 90turbo1 » Thu Mar 02, 2017 8:36 pm

Hack wrote:Are you the oldtimer john? If so, it has been a while. Welcome back. If not, welcome to the Planet.

Isuzu had 2 generations of 3.2s. The early ones 1992-1997 came in ether SOHC or DOHC. These engines had 3 coil packs mounted on a plate on top of the engine. Each coil operated 2 cylinders. The bottom ends of both were basically the same. I believe you could swap a DOHC directly into a truck set up for a SOHC and vice versa.

However, Isuzu redesigned the 3.2 in 1998. These later 3.2s have a coil pack on each cylinder, use a serpentine belt rather than 3 separate drive belts, and put out more power. Almost nothing on the 1998+ 3.2s is compatible with the earlier engines. (Even the fan rotates in the opposite direction.) Moreover, Isuzu went to a drive by wire system in 2001. So your engine will require the plenum and other parts (such as a cable operated throttle body) to work in 1998-2000 vehicles.

Sorry.

I have a 1997 rodeo 3.2. has coil on plug, 6 individual coils... and SOHC
1988 trooper II, 2.6L 5 sp
1991 Trooper II, 2.8L 5 sp swaped to a 3.4 at liest I can drive it now!!! but far from finished
1997 Rodeo, 3.2L 5 sp. Waiting on title :roll:

BMW master Tech.
90turbo1
Expedition Ready

Have thanks: 0 time

Postby Hack » Thu Mar 02, 2017 8:46 pm

Wasn't aware of that configuration. All the SOHCs I have seen have the plate with the 3 coils.
Mario

Daily Driver: 1995 Trooper Limited, Auto, 3.2L DOHC, Rear LSD, HD Torsion Bars, Moog Cc812s, Cooper Discoverer A/T3 245/70-16
Trail Truck: 2001 Amigo, Auto, 3.2L, Rear LSD, Front Aussie Locker, DOR Drop Dif, HD Torsion Bars, OME 912s, BFG M/T KA2 33x10.5R15
RIP: 1988 Troop 2.6L 5spd. Burnt valve(s). Damaged frame. Parted out. Sent to crusher.
RIP: 1998 4WD Rodeo, Auto, 3.2L -- Ruined by Daughter #1 with Russian assistance. Parted out. Sent to crusher.
RIP: 1989 Troop 2.6L 5spd --- Stripped of all good parts. Body and rotted frame sent to the crusher.
RIP: 1999 2WD Amigo, Auto, 3.2L -- Engine blown and body damaged by Daughter #2. Parted out. Sent to crusher.
Hack
I am the Stig

Postby BigSwede » Thu Mar 02, 2017 10:18 pm

Interesting. Isuzu had plans to introduce a V8 into the Trooper, it was going to be a V8 version of the 3.5L, so 4.7L or so. But it never happened. These heavy trucks could use a little more grunt.
95 Trooper LS - 4" lift, 35" tires, 5.38 gears, ARB lockers
Indy4x Revolution 3.07:1 low range gears, Indy4x HD tie rods, homemade sway bar disconnects, Calmini HD sway bars, Darlington diff drop, OME 929 coil springs + 1" poly spacers and 1" body lift, Indy4x HD torsion bars, Indy4x HD rear axle links, Indy4x Kevlar brake lines, ARB bullbar, custom rear bumper with swing-out dual jerry can carrier, rock sliders, Sears Platinum Group 31 battery, ARB mini-compressor, Indy4x kevlar air lines, Warn M8000 winch, Blue Sea 6006 winch cutoff switch, Yaesu FT-1900R 2-meter ham radio, Larsen MHW-150C 1/2 wave antenna, Cobra 18WXST CB radio, Firestik II CB antenna, IPF driving lights, generic fog lights, two (2) Blue Sea auxiliary fuse panels, sleeping platform, and outofrshell Dave's custom 1" shifter extension. (I actually typed this list as a joke but people seem to like it.)
BigSwede
I am the Stig

Have thanks: 252 times

Postby 90turbo1 » Thu Mar 02, 2017 10:41 pm

Hack wrote:Wasn't aware of that configuration. All the SOHCs I have seen have the plate with the 3 coils.

So do i have some rare last of the 1997 change over rodeo?

Ill get a pic of rodeo and motor tomorrow during the day. See if i csn post them up.

Vin says its a 1997. Its the old 1st gen body style. Manual, 4x4, sohc 3.2. Bit with coil on plug ignition..
1991 Trooper II, 2.8L 5 sp swaped to a 3.4 at liest I can drive it now!!! but far from finished

BMW master Tech.
90turbo1
Expedition Ready

Postby Hack » Thu Mar 02, 2017 11:39 pm

I know there is a 1997.5 that people talk about but I don't know anything about it.
Mario

Hack
I am the Stig

Postby JLEMOND » Fri Mar 03, 2017 8:39 pm

90turbo1 wrote:
Hack wrote:Wasn't aware of that configuration. All the SOHCs I have seen have the plate with the 3 coils.

So do i have some rare last of the 1997 change over rodeo?

Ill get a pic of rodeo and motor tomorrow during the day. See if i csn post them up.

Vin says its a 1997. Its the old 1st gen body style. Manual, 4x4, sohc 3.2. Bit with coil on plug ignition..

ALL 96-97 RODEO,S AND 96-97 TROOPERS CAME WITH THE SOHC ENG ONLY , 195 HP AND WAS AN OBD II ENG . AND ALL HAD THE INDIVIDUAL COIL ON PLUG. , DEFINITELY USE THE THE LATER MANIFOLD UPPER AND LOWER , AND YOUR 97 INJ,S AND WIRING SETUP. YOU WILL HAVE TO MAKE SOME SORT OF HOLDER FOR THE COIL ON EACH PLUG , USE ALL THE FRT TIMING COMPONENTS FROM THE 92-95 DOHC INCLUDING THE FRT COVERS , YOU WILL HAVE TO USE THE OLDER DOHC OR SOHC EX MANIFOLDS , THE 96 -97 WILL NOT BOLT UP, CUT THE TOP OF THE OLDER EXHAUST PIPES OFF AND USE THOSE FLANGES WELDED TO THE 97 EX PIPES AND BOLT IT BACK ON.
JLEMOND
I am the Stig

Have thanks: 247 times

Postby 90turbo1 » Fri Mar 03, 2017 8:46 pm

I was assuming the 3.2 sohc was 175 h.p. and dohc was 200. If i already have the 195 h.p. sohc would.it make much sence to bother with a dohc swap? I mean 5 h.p. maybe a small bump.in torque?

BMW master Tech.
90turbo1
Expedition Ready

Postby Johnny V » Sat Mar 04, 2017 8:56 am

90turbo1 wrote:I was assuming the 3.2 sohc was 175 h.p. and dohc was 200. If i already have the 195 h.p. sohc would.it make much sence to bother with a dohc swap? I mean 5 h.p. maybe a small bump.in torque?

Less wear and tear. A DOHC will always outlive an SOHC, all things equal. A DOHC will also always rev higher and still be reliable. The cams are spinning half the speed, have half the work load on them and have twice the bearing area. One of the marvels of the GM LSx engines are that they can rev despite an old school OHV set-up. Not as high as an OHC, but it doesn't have to. The single biggest upgrade from the SBC to the LSx is the size of the cam journals. They are huge, which allows us to be able to install cam profiles that would be impossible on an SBC. This is where an OHC comes in to play. The cams have bearing caps meaning we can simply drop the cam straight down. If the engine permitted we could drop in cams with profiles that would take up more real estate than the cam journal could even hold.
Johnny V
Drives on Gravel

Postby geoffinbc » Sat Mar 04, 2017 11:36 am

Not trying to be a a smart --- but all cams spin at half the engine speed on a 4 stroke engine. A 2 stroke that has cams like a Detroit Diesel would spin at engine speed.

You might argue that each cam on a DOHC engine has less work to do but the work is marginal for any cam because the force it takes to open a valve is mostly returned to the cam when the spring closes the valve. Minus friction/heat losses. It could be argued that 4 cams with the extra bearings and sprockets coupled with a longer chain causes more work for the engine. Plus no engine really has cam related issues. Usually chain and tensioner issues.

You are correct that the LS has a much better cam design because of the big journals which allows much more freedom in lobe design. Most people do equate the ability of OHC being able to rev higher means it is automatically better. But as GM has proved 2 valve engines hold their own. Only a supercar needs an engine capable of more than 6000RPM. A 2 valve OHV engine can easily handle this chore. However at low engine speeds a 2 valve inline head has a lot of superior qualities like improved mixture motion, very little cross talk between the intake and exhaust during overlap, more efficient port flow and the ability to shut down lifters to reduce active cylinders. Because of these facts GM is able to use a 6.2L V8 with gobs of low end torque that is several percent more efficient than Fords little ecoboost under load. Every time a turbo engine has to use boost to make power for towing and hauling or quick acceleration its efficiency drops like crazy. Yes under normal driving the there is no boost and the V6 runs quite efficiently but in these cases the new LT engines from GM shut down cylinders. In all reports from real drivers the advantage goes to the 6.2L, the 5.3L is even better. I hope Chrysler puts DI on the HEMI because that engine has tons of potential.
1990 Trooper, 3.2L (3.1L .040 over) Pushrod V6, 5 speed manual. 33X10.50X15 BFG M/T KM2's. 3" OME Lift. Cowl Induction Intake. ARB Lockers front and rear. HD Tierods.
Off the road for an overhaul right now.

Big Bore Intake Kits & Greasable Shackles Here
geoffinbc
I am the Stig

Have thanks: 323 times

Postby Johnny V » Sat Mar 04, 2017 7:24 pm

geoffinbc wrote: Plus no engine really has cam related issues. Usually chain and tensioner issues.

Aw, you haven't forgotten about Mazda's 1.8 have you? The old AMC 4.0's had some problems. I have 4 Honda Magna's(2 V65's, a V45 and a V35). Those things devour cams. A real PITA because they haven't made replacement parts for them in 25 years.
Johnny V
Drives on Gravel

Postby geoffinbc » Sun Mar 05, 2017 3:19 pm

Yea there are always exceptions. But in the vast world of engines its not common.
1990 Trooper, 3.2L (3.1L .040 over) Pushrod V6, 5 speed manual. 33X10.50X15 BFG M/T KM2's. 3" OME Lift. Cowl Induction Intake. ARB Lockers front and rear. HD Tierods.
Off the road for an overhaul right now.

Big Bore Intake Kits & Greasable Shackles Here
geoffinbc
I am the Stig

Have thanks: 323 times

Postby Johnny V » Tue Mar 07, 2017 7:14 am

That didn't last long. My mua5 died on me today pulling a load of shingles to the dump. Best I can tell, bearings gave up. It still pulls, just sounds like a box of rocks. I'll pull it tomorrow and see what failed. If the tranny is toast then I won't be going back to a mua5. No point when I can just bolt up an nv3500 and be done with it. I might be selling a bellhousing adapter and modified tranny crossmember soon. I was sure that it would be the clutch that would go before anything else. Live and learn I guess. On a related note, my 2015 Golf TDI Sportwagen towed my Rodeo with a trailer attached to it for 7 miles without dying on me. Thank the Germans for twin wet clutch DSG transmissions.
Johnny V
Drives on Gravel

Postby Johnny V » Tue Mar 07, 2017 7:25 am

geoffinbc wrote:I hope Chrysler puts DI on the HEMI because that engine has tons of potential.

With the insanity of the flow potential on new Hemi heads I see no reason, bottom end permitting, why they couldn't make a reliable 1,000+ hp engine. Biggest problem with them is the price. You'll have 20 grand in a Hemi that makes the same amount of power you could get out of a 6.0 LS for 5 grand. I still think Chrysler should have done more with the old 488ci Viper engine. That would have made one hell of a towing rig in a Ram. The 8.0 V10 Chrysler used in the 2500 trucks was mostly junk. The Viper engine can be cammed for torque numbers that would rival diesels and the bellhousing pattern was the same most other Chrysler small blocks. The SRT10 Ram wasn't built to work or tow and is mostly useless apart from being cool. I love them. A 4wd Ram 2500 with a 488 tuned for low end and an Allison manual would have been a perfect truck.
Johnny V
Drives on Gravel

Postby BigSwede » Tue Mar 07, 2017 11:02 am

Johnny V wrote:That didn't last long. My mua5 died on me today pulling a load of shingles to the dump. Best I can tell, bearings gave up. It still pulls, just sounds like a box of rocks. I'll pull it tomorrow and see what failed. If the tranny is toast then I won't be going back to a mua5. No point when I can just bolt up an nv3500 and be done with it. I might be selling a bellhousing adapter and modified tranny crossmember soon. I was sure that it would be the clutch that would go before anything else. Live and learn I guess. On a related note, my 2015 Golf TDI Sportwagen towed my Rodeo with a trailer attached to it for 7 miles without dying on me. Thank the Germans for twin wet clutch DSG transmissions.

Bummer. Generally speaking the MUA5 is pretty stout, but there are always exceptions. I wonder if the needle bearings in the t-case gave out? I saw have seen that happen a couple of times.
Indy4x Revolution 3.07:1 low range gears, Indy4x HD tie rods, homemade sway bar disconnects, Calmini HD sway bars, Darlington diff drop, OME 929 coil springs + 1" poly spacers and 1" body lift, Indy4x HD torsion bars, Indy4x HD rear axle links, Indy4x Kevlar brake lines, ARB bullbar, custom rear bumper with swing-out dual jerry can carrier, rock sliders, Sears Platinum Group 31 battery, ARB mini-compressor, Indy4x kevlar air lines, Warn M8000 winch, Blue Sea 6006 winch cutoff switch, Yaesu FT-1900R 2-meter ham radio, Larsen MHW-150C 1/2 wave antenna, Cobra 18WXST CB radio, Firestik II CB antenna, IPF driving lights, generic fog lights, two (2) Blue Sea auxiliary fuse panels, sleeping platform, and outofrshell Dave's custom 1" shifter extension. (I actually typed this list as a joke but people seem to like it.)
BigSwede
I am the Stig

Postby Johnny V » Tue Mar 07, 2017 11:54 am

BigSwede wrote:Bummer. Generally speaking the MUA5 is pretty stout, but there are always exceptions. I wonder if the needle bearings in the t-case gave out? I saw have seen that happen a couple of times.

My Rodeo is 2wd. That's one reason the LS swap was easy.

I just dropped the tranny in the driveway. I knew exactly what happened as soon as it broke loose. I'm an idiot. This wasn't the tranny, engine or clutch's fault, its 100% me being a retard. The pilot bearing didn't catch the shaft and I didn't give it two thoughts when I bolted it to the adapter. There is also a possibility that the main shaft wasn't even centered to the crank but it didn't cause a rear main leak so it may just be off because the bearings are shot. I probably won't work on it for a few weeks because I really need to get my Jeep Liberty going(transfer case cracked, bad CV shafts and new tires). When I get around to it I'll snap some pictures of the 5.3 and adapter plate.

A couple engines that should bolt to the mua5 are the Cadillac Northstar, LS4(but as I mentioned before, you'll have to get creative with a starter arrangement) and all variations of the Buick based 3.8. Those 3.8's are a pretty decent mills. A good late model L67 with a smaller pulley and some minor tweaks can make 350+hp on the stock supercharger. Something that makes that interesting is the fact that you can run one with no electronics or wiring. Early 3.8's were carbed and had regular distributors. They were also damned near bullet proof.
Johnny V
Drives on Gravel

Postby jb3179 » Tue Mar 07, 2017 1:33 pm

90turbo1 wrote:
Hack wrote:Are you the oldtimer john? If so, it has been a while. Welcome back. If not, welcome to the Planet.

Sorry.

My 96 is coil on plug with 3.2l soch
jb3179
Loyal P'up

Have thanks: 11 times

Postby BigSwede » Tue Mar 07, 2017 3:05 pm

jb3179 wrote:
90turbo1 wrote:

My 96 is coil on plug with 3.2l soch

I think in 96 they went to coil on plug, along with OBD II. 96 and 97 were 190 hp SOHC motors (at least for Troopers). 98 is when the redesigned DOHC 3.2/3.5 came in. The 3.5L was 215 hp and the 3.2L was 205 hp.
BigSwede
I am the Stig

Postby Hack » Tue Mar 07, 2017 4:10 pm

BigSwede wrote:I think in 96 they went to coil on plug, along with OBD II. 96 and 97 were 190 hp SOHC motors (at least for Troopers). 98 is when the redesigned DOHC 3.2/3.5 came in. The 3.5L was 215 hp and the 3.2L was 205 hp.

That is what Jerry said above.
Mario

Hack
I am the Stig

Next

Return to Drivetrain Mods