88 Trooper 2.2L Diesel Swap Questions

Discuss anything related to drivetrain mods here (Engine &Transmission Swaps, lift, gearing, exhaust, etc)

Moderator: Staff

88 Trooper 2.2L Diesel Swap Questions

Postby Richey » Sun Feb 26, 2017 1:32 pm

Hey Guys,

My dad has been driving his 83 Pup 2.2L Diesel for a long time, but the frame just rusted out to the point that theres a single section of steel holding the cab to the frame. You can even hear/feel the back of the cab bouncing up and down on the frame when you drive over pot-holes :lol:. Point is its not safe anymore.

His friend has an 88 Trooper with the 2.6L. How compatible would a swap the 2.2L be into the trooper? I know some 1st gen Trooper RS's had the same 2.2L in them, so im hoping that the motor and tranny mounts line up for an easy swap. The electrical is straight forward enough, but It would be super nice to get ahold of a Diesel Trooper wiring harness and cluster.

Im also concerned about dif ratios and drive-line compatibility. Both Vehicles are 4x4. If y'all could share your inputs on the process, that would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
-2000 Rodeo 4x4 3.2 Build
-1990 Spacecab 4x4 4 speed 2.2L Diesel Complete Veggie oil conversion Build
-1989 2.6L Amigo 4x4
-1984 2.2L Diesel P'up
Richey
Donor
Donor

Have thanks: 7 times

Sponsor

Re: 88 Trooper 2.2L Diesel Swap Questions

Postby JoeIsuzu » Sun Feb 26, 2017 4:04 pm

I'm responding from my phone, so I'll be brief. Sorry.

First, the '88 Trooper will be really underpowered with a naturally aspirated 2.2 L diesel.

Second, if the engine is from a 2wd, it will need a 4wd oil pump, pickup, and pan.

Third, you would need to find a 4wd MSG-5 transmission, because the MUA transmisson won't bolt up to the diesel.

Fourth, it would still be really underpowered. ;)

Jack
Original owner, 1983 Isuzu P'up LS Diesel. Engine overhauled by JLEMOND. Ready for new paint now!
1994 Isuzu Amigo 2wd
IsuzuPup.com
"There are no dumb questions"?! Maybe not...
but there are smart ways to ask. Old, but classic:
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
JoeIsuzu
Zu Royalty

Have thanks: 80 times

Postby Richey » Sun Feb 26, 2017 4:16 pm

JoeIsuzu wrote:I'm responding from my phone, so I'll be brief. Sorry.

First, the '88 Trooper will be really underpowered with a naturally aspirated 2.2 L diesel.

Second, if the engine is from a 2wd, it will need a 4wd oil pump, pickup, and pan.

Third, you would need to find a 4wd MSG-5 transmission, because the MUA transmisson won't bolt up to the diesel.

Jack

Thanks for the response, So did the Troopers with the 2.2L have a Higher geared Rear end? Both Trucks are 4x4, so im not worried about the oil pump/pickup. I already have the Tranny for the Diesel, I would swap it over.
-2000 Rodeo 4x4 3.2 Build
-1990 Spacecab 4x4 4 speed 2.2L Diesel Complete Veggie oil conversion Build
-1989 2.6L Amigo 4x4
-1984 2.2L Diesel P'up
Richey
Donor
Donor

Have thanks: 7 times

Postby JLEMOND » Sun Feb 26, 2017 4:36 pm

Richey wrote:
JoeIsuzu wrote:I'm responding from my phone, so I'll be brief. Sorry.

Jack

Thanks for the response, So did the Troopers with the 2.2L have a Higher geared Rear end? Both Trucks are 4x4, so im not worried about the oil pump/pickup. I already have the Tranny for the Diesel, I would swap it over.

JACK IS ABSOLUTELY RIGTH , THE LATER TROOPERS WITH A NON TURBO ENG ESP , IS REALLY UNDER POWERED .
ALL TROOPERS NO MATTER WHICH ENG THEY CAME WITH , CAME WITH 4.56 GEARING EXCEPT ONE YEAR THE 87 TURBO DIESEL TROOPER ALL THE REST THRU 97 CAME WITH THE 4.55/4.56 GEARS EXCEPT THE VERY RARE ONES WITH THE BIG TIRE PACKAGES AND THEY WOULD BE ONLY THE 89-91 TROOPER AND THEY CAME WITH 4.77 GEARING , AND YES THERE WERE LOTS OF THE 4 DOOR 89-91 TROOPERS THAT DID COME WITH THE LARGER TIRES WITH THE SNO FLAKES WHEEL,S BUT NO DSL,S EVER CAME WITH THEM, AT LEAST NOT IN THE U.S ,, THE 87 WAS CHANGED TO THE 4.10 GEARING TO SLOW THE ENG DOWN,
JLEMOND
I am the Stig

Have thanks: 255 times

Postby Dieseldon » Sun Mar 05, 2017 4:40 pm

Thanks for the info guys, I'm considering doing the same swap but into a 85 Trooper 2.
Dieseldon
Drives on Pavement

Have thanks: 0 time

Postby bellavesus » Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:21 pm

I swapped a c223T into an 89 trooper and it was driveable, but I also live in the mountains. I would say it depends on where the truck will live and how it will driven- how the operator expects it to perform- that will be the real decision about the swap. If it is what you have, and want to stick with the diesel- go for it. If it does not perform as desired, the resale market is decent for a diesel trooper as long as its clean.
Reason is poor propaganda when opposed by the yammering, unceasing lies of shrewd and evil and self-serving men. ~Heinlein

86' isuzu trooper, now with 4JB1TC! OME/INDY 3"
Custom WVO system, Dual tanks.
89' trooper c223t swap-SOLD
bellavesus
Mud King

Have thanks: 8 times

Return to Drivetrain Mods