Another Pickup LS1 swap

Discuss anything related to drivetrain mods here (Engine &Transmission Swaps, lift, gearing, exhaust, etc)

Moderator: Staff

Another Pickup LS1 swap

Postby carwhisperer » Thu Feb 16, 2017 5:40 pm

I bought a 1989 extra cab pickup 2WD and a 2000 Camaro SS donor for it's LS1 and 4L60E. Planning to get started on the swap next week. I know it's been done before. I built a Mustang 5.0 powered Mitsubishi Mighty Max 20 years ago. Some things that look good so far are the front steer and the torsion bars, as the Camaro pan is rear sump. Any advice is appreciated. I need a gas tank by the way.

Question, this truck has a disc brake rear end with a drop out 3rd member like a Ford 9inch. How strong is this rear end compared to a Dana 44 from a Rodeo? I used a Rodeo D44 in the Mitsubishi.

I'm in Sacramento.
Brian
Last edited by carwhisperer on Thu Feb 23, 2017 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
carwhisperer
Drives on Gravel

Have thanks: 1 time

Sponsor

Re: Another Pickup LS1 swap

Postby paulevans76 » Thu Feb 16, 2017 7:56 pm

If it's the zu 12bolt, it ought to be plenty strong, although it may not have the gear ratio choices you'd want wth the v8. They are mostly 4.56 and 4.30. Dana 44 would have many more options to get you a better cruising rpm if that's important to ya.
91 SAS Trooper - Neverending tinkering
Semi-hopped-up 3.4 + MUA5 + 3.07:1 low
Waggy D44 Front - 5.38's + RCV's + OX
Rodeo D44 Rear - 5.38's + Detroit
35" General Grabber X3's on Interco Birddogs
paulevans76
Zu Royalty

Have thanks: 86 times

Postby oldestisuzuist » Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:43 pm

If it's a 2wd truck stock gear ratio will be 4.10s, most likely an open differential. A LSD is available for the 12-bolt that can be mated to your ring gear & swapped in but no higher gears (like 3.42 or 3.73) were ever made for this rear.
'78 LUV, 1.9, headers, 4-spd, SAS Dana 30 front, Dana 20, SOA rear w/Aussie Locker, 31's, serious body cancer, bought new 12/4/78.
'87 Trooper, 2.3, headers, 5-spd, 31's, ball joint flip, Aussie Locker rear, Superwinch hubs, brush guard w/5.5K winch, needs motor, work in progress.

For this post the author oldestisuzuist was thanked by:
paulevans76
oldestisuzuist
Almost Joe Isuzu

Have thanks: 247 times

Postby carwhisperer » Thu Feb 16, 2017 11:36 pm

Cool. Thanks for the info. 4.10's will probably be OK for a while with the 4L60's .63 OD. I assume I can tell it's a 12 bolt by 12 bolts holding the 3rd member in the housing?
carwhisperer
Drives on Gravel

Postby kg4miq » Fri Feb 17, 2017 12:54 am

No, 12-bolt refers to the number of bolts holding the ring gear together, internally.
How to rebuild a 2.6L 4ZE1 distributor

'89 S Trooper - "Kal-El" - 4ZE1
'88 LS Trooper - "Delta" - 4ZE1
'92 Pickup - "Blacktail" - 4ZE1
'89 S Trooper - "Red Leader" - 4ZE1
'89 SE Trooper - "Vader" - 4ZE1
'90 Trooper - "Leia" - 4JG2T swap on hold
'89 Pickup - "Wicket" - 4ZD1
'90 S Trooper - "Nan" - 4ZE1 (possible V8 swap - Ford 302 with 5 speed?)
'94 S Amigo - "Artoo" - 4ZE1, SOLD
'92 XS Rodeo - "Jabba", LH0, 3.1L V6
'89 S Trooper - "Chewie" - 4ZE1, TRADED
'89 XS Trooper - "Red" - 4ZE1, SOLD, bought it back
'89 LS Trooper - "Obi-Wan" - LH0, 3.1L V6
'88 S Trooper - "Stormtrooper" - 4ZE1, SOLD
'91 S Trooper - "Ghost" - L32, 3.4L V6, SOLD
'89 S Trooper - "Angry Bird" - 4ZE1, SOLD
'89 S Trooper - "Phantom" - 4ZE1, salvaged
'90 Pickup - "Uno" - 4ZD1, SOLD
kg4miq
Mud King

Have thanks: 61 times

Postby oldestisuzuist » Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:18 am

If it has disc brakes it's a 12-bolt.
'78 LUV, 1.9, headers, 4-spd, SAS Dana 30 front, Dana 20, SOA rear w/Aussie Locker, 31's, serious body cancer, bought new 12/4/78.
'87 Trooper, 2.3, headers, 5-spd, 31's, ball joint flip, Aussie Locker rear, Superwinch hubs, brush guard w/5.5K winch, needs motor, work in progress.
oldestisuzuist
Almost Joe Isuzu

Have thanks: 247 times

Postby carwhisperer » Sun Feb 19, 2017 9:02 pm

Cool. Sounds like I've got a really good axle here. Just to confirm, it is considered stronger than the Rodeo D44's?

Got the motor and trans out of the Camaro and loaded into the back of my Dodge. Planning to take it to where the Isuzu is tomorrow.
carwhisperer
Drives on Gravel

Postby paulevans76 » Sun Feb 19, 2017 10:00 pm

I'd give it a bit of an edge over the run of the mill d44s, although the modified 44s from the later model rodeos and more recent JK wranglers might be a bit stronger.
91 SAS Trooper - Neverending tinkering
Semi-hopped-up 3.4 + MUA5 + 3.07:1 low
Waggy D44 Front - 5.38's + RCV's + OX
Rodeo D44 Rear - 5.38's + Detroit
35" General Grabber X3's on Interco Birddogs
paulevans76
Zu Royalty

Have thanks: 86 times

Postby carwhisperer » Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:46 pm

Here are a couple pictures of the first failed try to drop the motor in. I plan to remove the Camaro motor mount pedastals tomorrow and try again.

carwhisperer
Drives on Gravel

Postby carwhisperer » Sun Mar 12, 2017 4:03 pm

The motor mounts are done. Transmission mount is done (for the 4L60E). Bottom radiator mounts done. I made the cross member that goes under the oil pan removable and narrowed it. The Camaro pan is rear sump, but there still would have been interference. Putting the top of the core support back in now, and making it so it can be unbolted. Tight fit for the fans, but they come out easily to get to the accessories. I moved the alternator up top on the passenger side to make room for the power steering box I got from an Amigo, which bolted right in. Otherwise, this pickup was well optioned when new. AC, power windows and locks, cruise control. I intend to have all that functioning and end up significantly under 10lbs/horsepower at the crank.
carwhisperer
Drives on Gravel

Postby gb89amigo » Mon Mar 13, 2017 1:42 am

Deleted
Last edited by gb89amigo on Tue Mar 14, 2017 10:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
'89 Amigo XS RWD, 4ZE1, MUA5, HC6 (Rear Wheel Drive, 2.6L Fuel Injected, 5 spd trans f/ 2.6L and up, 4.56:1 differential 2WD/4WD)
Future: Install the "Big Brake" upgrade, so I don't break things! . Acquired '95 V6 Passport/Rodeo front rotors (11.04") and assemblies. Need to pull G80/LSD rear from '92-'97 Trooper.
'90 Amigo 4WD, Parts car

More FUN!!! :)
gb89amigo
Zu Royalty

Have thanks: 116 times

Postby Raphouse » Mon Mar 13, 2017 7:02 pm

carwhisperer wrote:The motor mounts are done. Transmission mount is done (for the 4L60E). Bottom radiator mounts done. I made the cross member that goes under the oil pan removable and narrowed it. The Camaro pan is rear sump, but there still would have been interference. Putting the top of the core support back in now, and making it so it can be unbolted. Tight fit for the fans, but they come out easily to get to the accessories. I moved the alternator up top on the passenger side to make room for the power steering box I got from an Amigo, which bolted right in. Otherwise, this pickup was well optioned when new. AC, power windows and locks, cruise control. I intend to have all that functioning and end up significantly under 10lbs/horsepower at the crank.

This is great, I am interested to see how this project comes along! Any plans for power adders after she is running?
Raphouse
Drives on Pavement

Postby totten » Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:16 pm

Thanks for pics. Really nice job.
2004 rodeo 4x4,3.2,auto Calmini 3" lift, Zone 2" Body Lift, 285/75/16 Mastercraft Courser HXT Tires. Cobra 29LTD CB,Transmission cooler,Functional hood scoop,Skyjacker shocks 8000,Swaybars removed.
totten
Zu Royalty

Have thanks: 84 times

Postby carwhisperer » Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:16 am

Thank you. No I don't have any plans for power adders maybe a manual trans at some point. But the best option is a T56 which would probably require cutting up the tunnel, so I don't think I'll do that. Apparently a T5 can't live behind an LS1, and a NV3500 is also marginally strong and the ratios aren't that great. I think an NV4500 is also pretty bulky.
Last edited by carwhisperer on Mon May 01, 2017 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
carwhisperer
Drives on Gravel

Postby Johnny V » Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:01 am

carwhisperer wrote:Thank you. No I don't have any plans for power adders maybe a manual trans at some poisons. But the best option is a T56 which would probably require cutting up the tunnel, so I don't think I'll do that. Apparently a T5 can't live behind an LS1, and a NV3500 is also marginally strong and the ratios aren't that great. I think an NV4500 is also pretty bulky.

A T5 can't live behind a 4.3 Vortec. Stock 5.0 Mustangs(170hp, no traction and light) were popping them at every corner. I have a 5.3 in my Rodeo and used the MUA5. It failed quickly, but that was 100% my fault. I used a bellhousing adapter but didn't use an extended pilot bearing. I was going to just go with a 3500 or 4500 but have ordered a new set of main shaft bearings and am going to give the MUA5 another shot. If I was given the choice to do it all again I'd go with a 4500. It is overkill but I use my Rodeo to tow a lot. A 3500 would probably be perfect. A T56 doesn't tow worth a damn so I never gave it a thought. I needed a low 1st and didn't need two overdrives. One thing about the MUA5 is that it doesn't require any modifications to the tunnel or crossmember. I jacked up the back of my crossmember because I didn't think the LS would clear the steering shaft but I think it will be fine without it.

One option for you that can work is a 200r4. They can be built to handle 800hp and are very small, plus have overdrive. Cheap, too.
Johnny V
Drives on Gravel

Postby carwhisperer » Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:21 pm

Thanks. I'm using the 4L60E for now. The whole thing fits pretty nice. I have my AC compressor in the stock Camaro location, but I moved the alternator between the throttle body and passenger cylinder head. To get the motor to sit a little lower, I am planning to notch the holes in the idler arm bracket. The clearance between that and the AC compressor is my limiting factor currently. I was wondering what would happen if I cut the top off the idler arm? There appears to be a dust cap welded on the top of the bracket. Does the shaft go up into this space or does it need to do so? I guess I could buy a spare and cut it up.

Do you have a build thread for your swap? I did see an LS Rodeo swap. I think it was done in Australia. Was that you?

I do have access to the stock 5 speed that was in my truck. I think the truck had a 2.6 and it is 2WD. Would that be an MUA5? I'm not a big fan of engine adapters, though. Seems too tricky to get everything right, as demonstrated by your pilot bearing issue.
carwhisperer
Drives on Gravel

Postby Johnny V » Thu Mar 30, 2017 10:42 am

I don't have a build thread but I may put one together when I reinstall everything. I don't know what came with the 2.6, I'm not well informed on Isuzus. I can't find a heavy duty clutch for mine. As for the adapter, its pretty straight forward and cheap. Speedway Motors sells it. It bolts up, no problems and isn't tricky. Technically its designed to mate a 60* Chevy V6 engine to a 90* Chevy V8 transmission. I used the stock Rodeo clutch disc with an LS pressure plate. If you do it all yourself you can build it for $1000 or so. Engine, adapter, pressure plate, pilot bearing, mounts and a few odds such as the radiator hoses and fuel lines. I kept the stock radiator but it'll probably get swapped. Just make sure and get the stuff out of trucks without throttle by wire. You can make it work, its just a pain in the ---. And wifi throttles ALWAYS have a dead spot that drive me nuts, especially towing or off road.

If someone came up with an ignition system for a Northstar it would open up a whole new world for us. The engines bolt up to the stock transmissions. The holdups are flywheels(they never made a manual Northstar), ignition and fuel. The fuel can be solved with any aftermarket EFI and a flywheel can probably be used off of a V6 Camaro or something but there is no ignition system that can work. You could probably figure out a way to adapt an old Optispark to it if you spent the time on it.
Johnny V
Drives on Gravel

Postby carwhisperer » Tue Apr 25, 2017 2:09 pm

No real pictures but I thought I'd write an update.

I cut the top off the steering idler arm and found a thrust spring under the cap. I shortened the spring and the cap and welded it back on. Seems to operate the same as before. This gave me another 3/4 inch that I could lower the engine. I bought some LS swap engine mounts from an ebay seller and redid the pedestals. I now clear the trans tunnel everywhere by 1/2 inch or more.

I sound the Camaro shifter down in the hole for the manual trans shifter the truck had. I used a longer shifter cable from a GM FWD car. The stock boot fits over the shifter. In park, the shifter touches the stereo. This was the best I could do without hacking up the center console.

Throttle cable is done. I got one from a V6 rodeo and adapted it to the Camaro throttle body.

I got my reworked LS1 wiring harness and modded ECU back from the ebay seller. I put it on and it fits pretty well.

I wired the starter, using the clutch switch wires from the pickup to go through the Camaro PNP switch. Truck makes noise when you turn the key!

I put in a fuel tank from a Nissan Hardbody and a Walbro 255 lph pump. I couldn't find an Isuzu tank. This tank fits approximately the same way, but obviously some fabrication was required.

Radiator is mounted. AC lines are mocked up.

I am hoping I will start the truck any day now, although there is no exhaust beyond the manifolds at this point. I am planning to take the truck into a shop to have the exhaust made. I have always made my own exhaust for swaps in the past, but this time I'm giving in. Besides the exhaust and wiring harness/ECU, I will have done everything else myself.

I'll post back when/if I get it started!
carwhisperer
Drives on Gravel

Postby firstcherokeekid » Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:52 am

I can't wait to see the outcome. I was contemplating the same swap once my V6 rodeo crapped out.

For this post the author firstcherokeekid was thanked by:
carwhisperer
firstcherokeekid
Drives on Pavement

Have thanks: 2 times

Postby RickP » Wed Apr 26, 2017 1:15 pm

Are you going to have to deal with the California emissions?
RickP
Mud King

Have thanks: 42 times

Postby carwhisperer » Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:13 pm

RickP wrote:Are you going to have to deal with the California emissions?

I have a plan for that :)

Truck started for the first time today. No exhaust so doesn't sound super sweet.

https://youtu.be/zBukaP2sfeE
carwhisperer
Drives on Gravel

Postby carwhisperer » Mon May 01, 2017 12:15 pm

carwhisperer
Drives on Gravel

Postby RickP » Mon May 01, 2017 12:48 pm

Nice!

For this post the author RickP was thanked by:
carwhisperer
RickP
Mud King

Have thanks: 42 times

Postby carwhisperer » Mon May 01, 2017 1:07 pm

Exhaust is done. I flat towed it over to a shop an hour away on Saturday. The guy showed up 90 minutes late, confirming my fear of having other people work for me. He did a good job, though, for a fair price, $400, including the Flow Disaster mufflers. When I got home I drove it up into the garage under it's own power. I am working on the AC lines right now. Then it's gauges and clean up the wiring and that's about all I think.
carwhisperer
Drives on Gravel

Postby hessmess » Mon May 01, 2017 11:05 pm

This thing is gonna fly!
86 Trooper (sold to brother) wrecked and recycled
88 Trooper (recycled)
91 Trooper, 3.1, bored .40, Cam, 4.3 TBI, roller rockers, Fiero valve covers, remote oil filter, LSD, 2.25 Cat back exhaust, BJ flip, 5 speed conversion, Round eye conversion-retired and parts donated to the new 91
91 LS Trooper, 5 speed, 3.4, bored intake, LSD, rebuilt using parts donated from the first 91
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=81567
89 Pup LS Space Cab, 4X4, AMC head, Delta 260 cam, 2.25 cat back exhaust system, LSD
viewtopic.php?t=55081

For this post the author hessmess was thanked by:
carwhisperer
hessmess
Donor
Donor

Have thanks: 144 times

Return to Drivetrain Mods