4L30E Swap from Junkyard Solved Issues

Discuss anything related to drivetrain mods here (Engine &Transmission Swaps, lift, gearing, exhaust, etc)

Moderator: Staff

4L30E Swap from Junkyard Solved Issues

Postby 4l30esucks » Tue May 02, 2017 9:57 pm

I'm making this post to document the differences between Rodeo 4L30E transmissions between model years.

I have a 2001 Rodeo LS 2wd. With 230k miles the original trans decided to die. After a year and a half I finally got around to swapping in a transmission I found in the junkyard off a (I'm assuming) earlier year <2001 and >1998. The transmission that I pulled from the yard had 64-03 cast into the main casing, driver side. The tranmission in my car had 64-05. I only found this out after pulling my transmission.

After some research I found a website than actually listed differences between these transmissions.

We found that the overdrive and main valve bodies had the same part numbers. We pulled the pans off and noticed the only difference was the style plug for the valve bodies where they connect to the car harness. We pulled the harnesses from inside the transmission and swapped them. Be sure to verify the part numbers on the valve bodies with your old ones. We had to swap over the overdrive body because of a different part number. We were worried about incompatibility with the AT Computer.

To get the passthrough connectors out of the transmission I pushed from the internal side with a flat head screw driver. Be very carefully with the retainers as they are extremely brittle. After finessing the passthroughs out you would have to step up the bore of the passthrough hole on the GM 64-03 transmission from about 7/8" to 1-1/16". I did this very ghetto because no one in town had a drill bit that size. I used a hole saw to step up to 1". Then used a grinding stone on a drill to file the remainder away. We then tipped the trans over and carefully got all the shavings out.
The overdrive passthrough did not require drilling.

Once done with that you can push the connector through. We used a coat of RTV on the passthrough connectors and the bore of the casing. So far no leaks!

Here:
GM 4L30E Catalog

Specifically:

For this post the author 4l30esucks was thanked by:
itsmehb
4l30esucks
Drives on Pavement

Have thanks: 1 time

Sponsor

Re: 4L30E Swap from Junkyard Solved Issues

Postby itsmehb » Wed May 03, 2017 5:58 am

4l30esucks wrote:I'm making this post to document the differences between Rodeo 4L30E transmissions between model years.

I have a 2001 Rodeo LS 2wd. With 230k miles the original trans decided to die. After a year and a half I finally got around to swapping in a transmission I found in the junkyard off a (I'm assuming) earlier year <2001 and >1998. The transmission that I pulled from the yard had 64-03 cast into the main casing, driver side. The tranmission in my car had 64-05. I only found this out after pulling my transmission.

After some research I found a website than actually listed differences between these transmissions.

We found that the overdrive and main valve bodies had the same part numbers. We pulled the pans off and noticed the only difference was the style plug for the valve bodies where they connect to the car harness. We pulled the harnesses from inside the transmission and swapped them. Be sure to verify the part numbers on the valve bodies with your old ones. We had to swap over the overdrive body because of a different part number. We were worried about incompatibility with the AT Computer.

To get the passthrough connectors out of the transmission I pushed from the internal side with a flat head screw driver. Be very carefully with the retainers as they are extremely brittle. After finessing the passthroughs out you would have to step up the bore of the passthrough hole on the GM 64-03 transmission from about 7/8" to 1-1/16". I did this very ghetto because no one in town had a drill bit that size. I used a hole saw to step up to 1". Then used a grinding stone on a drill to file the remainder away. We then tipped the trans over and carefully got all the shavings out.
The overdrive passthrough did not require drilling.

Once done with that you can push the connector through. We used a coat of RTV on the passthrough connectors and the bore of the casing. So far no leaks!

Here:
GM 4L30E Catalog

Specifically:

You deserve an atta boy for figuring this out and posting for others who will run into this should they exchange trannys
1990 Amigo, 2.3 5 speed (sold)
1991 Pick up (long gone)
2000 Amigo, 2.2 5 speed(sold)
1985 Trooper 1.9 4 speed (sent back to KS)
1989 Trooper RS 2.6 5 spd. Red

We get too soon old and too late smart!
itsmehb
I am the Stig

Have thanks: 201 times

Re: 4L30E Swap from Junkyard Solved Issues

Postby firstcherokeekid » Fri May 19, 2017 4:31 pm

Wow..... Thank you.
firstcherokeekid
Drives on Pavement

Have thanks: 2 times

Return to Drivetrain Mods