New type of gas can

This forum is for the discussion of outdoor activities, other than trail rides

Moderator: Staff

Sponsor

Re: New type of gas can

Postby TonkaToy » Sat Jan 16, 2016 12:54 pm

I like it. Simple, ergonomic, and seems well thought out. I too would wonder how long that seal would last, but I am willing to buy one, and see how it does.
Mike M.
Richmond, VA
2007 Ford Expedition
2002 Trooper SOLD
1989 Trooper LS
Trooper wheelin video and pics:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QPqIwcA14BQ
http://s621.photobucket.com/albums/tt29 ... rooper4me/
TonkaToy
Almost Joe Isuzu

Have thanks: 23 times

Postby Ru Zu » Sat Jan 16, 2016 1:25 pm

I'd like to know actual design and ratings.

At that rate, go old school nfpa osha UL FM design. Like an Eagle or Justrite metal can, mine even has a metal pour hose.
98 & 99 Troopers
Ru Zu
Has a Trail Truck

Have thanks: 21 times

Postby gruff54 » Sun Jan 17, 2016 9:49 am

Yeah, evidently too new for any reviews. I'm always leery of "moveable" plastic parts as they just don't seem to hold up. But it couldn't be much worse than the types that have the valve built into the spout. :evil:

Mike
'88 Trooper 2.6L 5 spd
'89 Trooper 2.6L 5 spd
gruff54
Trail Master

Have thanks: 54 times

Postby Hack » Sun Jan 17, 2016 10:10 am

I guess I am old-fashioned. Pouring from a can with a top spout has worked forever. Removing the spout allows the can to be sealed very well. This can just doesn't look like it will hold up.
Mario

Daily Driver: 1995 Trooper Limited, Auto, 3.2L DOHC, Rear LSD, HD Torsion Bars, Moog Cc812s, Cooper Discoverer A/T3 245/70-16
Trail Truck: 2001 Amigo, Auto, 3.2L, Rear LSD, Front Aussie Locker, HD Torsion Bars, OME 912s, BFG M/T KA2 33x10.5R15
RIP: 1988 Troop 2.6L 5spd. Burnt valve(s). Damaged frame. Parted out. Sent to crusher.
RIP: 1998 4WD Rodeo, Auto, 3.2L -- Ruined by Daughter #1 with Russian assistance. Parted out. Sent to crusher.
RIP: 1989 Troop 2.6L 5spd --- Stripped of all good parts. Body and rotted frame sent to the crusher.
RIP: 1999 2WD Amigo, Auto, 3.2L -- Engine blown and body damaged by Daughter #2. Parted out. Sent to crusher.
Hack
I am the Stig

Have thanks: 119 times

Postby shaggydoink » Sun Jan 17, 2016 11:09 am

Interesting, although I too am a little leery of it... as Scotty from Star Trek once said, "the more they overthink the plumbing, the easier it is to stop up the drain". ;)
1990 Trooper S - 2.6L, 5-speed (my truck)
1991 Trooper S - 2.8L V6, 4-speed auto (maintained for littleredtrooper)
Ride hard, tread lightly.
shaggydoink
Donor
Donor

Have thanks: 377 times

Postby Dingbat » Sun Jan 17, 2016 11:10 am

Amazon has reviews for the 2.2 gallon model: http://www.amazon.com/SureCan-SUR22G1-2 ... B00XMLLENQ
They also seem to make diesel and kero models: http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/422063 ... reCan.aspx
1997 UCS7VF (Rodeo / Passport / Frontera)
Wry Wench build thread
3-inch Calmini Lift Kit, Indy4x 1.5-inch Leaf Lift
Dingbat
Trail Master

Have thanks: 60 times

Postby slainer » Sun Jan 17, 2016 10:21 pm

Interesting looking fuel can. I still have really nicely made 5 gal plastic can I bought in 1988 that is still serving me well.
slainer
Trail Master

Have thanks: 26 times

Postby N law » Mon Jan 18, 2016 2:54 pm

I saw that one on SG's website and didn't click on it because it looked like an overthought gas can that would just piss me off. I have a large collection of gas cans ranging from the vintage "roof rack swag" for static displays up to the large 5 gallon awesome plastic ones that just plain work. I usually buy my gas cans at estate sales, since they are typically a buck or two and are always better than the ones for sale today. The only new one that I've bought lately is the Eagle safety can with funnel that I got off of woot.com for like $26. This one: http://www.amazon.com/Eagle-UI-50-FS-Ga ... B00GVJAXZQ .

In reading the reviews on that one, it seems that the chief complaint was that it didn't hold 5 gallons (duh!) and by the time you closed the valve, there was still a nozzle full of fuel down the chute, which overflows small tanks and doesn't solve the spill proof design that is mandated. I would suggesting looking old vs buying new.
99 VX
96 Rodeo Build thread
1975 FJ40
69 Beetle
84 Westfalia
70 VW bus turned camper
86 VW Diesel Golf
07 Frontier V6 6 speed
1999 4Runner Limitee- wife's
2004 Genuine Stella Scooter
N law
Almost Joe Isuzu

Postby Von » Fri Jan 29, 2016 3:57 pm

I like that better than any of the other plastic cans on the market. Those idiotic "pull in on this while pushing on the can whilst holding it upside down and aiming the too short pipe into the recessed filler on the side of your car" valves just piss me off.

Don't like $45 for a plastic can....

I would absolutely LOVE to have a couple of Eagle or Justrite or just some old steel jerry cans... but gas cans disappear faster than a Yeti cooler at a lake party around here. idiot boys and their idiot friends....
Whenever I buy a gas can I have to consider it disposable... $10 tops.
2004 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP
1990 Trooper 2.8 V6 Auto (Wrecked... sent to the crusher)
1993 Shortbed, regular cab Z71 (Donated to step-son #2)(deceased, parted out)(Forums for GM and fullsize 4X4s suck... so I'm still hanging out here)
1965 Ford Fairlane 500 Sports Coupe 289 & 4 speed (on jack stands awaiting new floorboards, interior and rebuilt T-10)
1968 Kaiser M715, Chevy 350/700r4, stock NP200 and 5.87 gears... prepping for Ford 390/T-18/divorced NP205 transplant.. .just because.
Von
Expedition Ready

Have thanks: 30 times

Postby Darby » Fri Jan 29, 2016 6:44 pm

More than I'll pay.
Original owner of a 1993 Isuzu pick up, 2.3 engine, 5 speed with power steering and air conditioning. All original except the radio (still have factory radio).
It's cheaper to fix what you have than to buy someone else's problems.
Darby
Super Trooper

Have thanks: 17 times

Postby N law » Mon Feb 29, 2016 2:22 am

I was moving things around in garage and came across a gas can that I picked up about a year ago. I hadn't yet cleaned it up and it still had the $5 price tag from the estate sale that I snagged it from. It is called a Blitz Fuel & Tool. It's a metal 1.5 gal can with latches on each end. The top lifts off and there is a tool box below. My dad had versions like this when I was a kid that were 2-1/2 gal tanks the full size of mine and without the tool storage. Mine is missing the spout but I'll just throw a small funnel down in the bottom half!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
99 VX
96 Rodeo Build thread
1975 FJ40
69 Beetle
84 Westfalia
70 VW bus turned camper
86 VW Diesel Golf
07 Frontier V6 6 speed
N law
Almost Joe Isuzu

Postby Von » Wed Mar 02, 2016 2:31 pm

N law wrote: It is called a Blitz Fuel & Tool.

That's pretty cool!

I need to start scrounging for a couple of decent old gas cans. The older boy is out of the house now and the younger one is working and only home to raid the fridge and sleep.. so maybe my stuff won't disappear so fast.

There's a junk collector downtown that has a perpetual yard sale that covers a city block. I spotted a couple of old cans there once but didn't have cash on me, my wife was looking for something.

A thread in Tool and Shop was talking about removing rust with soda and electrolysis... I wonder if that could be used to derust an old gas can? Put the water and soda in the can and hang the sacrificial steel from a string inside the can?
2004 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP
1990 Trooper 2.8 V6 Auto (Wrecked... sent to the crusher)
1993 Shortbed, regular cab Z71 (Donated to step-son #2)(deceased, parted out)(Forums for GM and fullsize 4X4s suck... so I'm still hanging out here)
1965 Ford Fairlane 500 Sports Coupe 289 & 4 speed (on jack stands awaiting new floorboards, interior and rebuilt T-10)
1968 Kaiser M715, Chevy 350/700r4, stock NP200 and 5.87 gears... prepping for Ford 390/T-18/divorced NP205 transplant.. .just because.
Von
Expedition Ready

Have thanks: 30 times

Postby N law » Sun Mar 27, 2016 12:08 am

I came across another gas can accessory that EVERYONE here can appreciate! We were in Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge at the beginning of the month and I stopped in a little tool store. It's the same that they have in all of the tourist trap cities across the country. Nothing was a great deal, but they had a lot of unique items. One that stuck out and made it into my basket was the EZ Pour Replacement Spout and Vent Kit. It's not a gas can... But it's everything but the can! I have heard about these things and how they have been threatened to shut down. It was $11 for the kit. I haven't used it yet (just found it in a bag I had forgotten about!) but I've heard great things.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
99 VX
96 Rodeo Build thread
1975 FJ40
69 Beetle
84 Westfalia
70 VW bus turned camper
86 VW Diesel Golf
07 Frontier V6 6 speed
N law
Almost Joe Isuzu

Postby SSSRodeo » Sat Jun 11, 2016 9:38 am

I"ll bet not many of you have ever seen these. You Military Guys most likely have!

This 5 gallon can is actually an insulated food transportation can that looks like a NATO Military Fuel Can.

Unlatch the top and you'll find an aluminum food container inside to transfer bulk hot foods to feed the troops in the field.

The green can is insulated inside to keep the food hot. Pretty cool! Makes a great Ice Chest for Sodas. Fits right there like these two fuel cans in my gas can carrier rack.

I have spent a lifetime collecting these different cans. All total I have about 15 Military containers. And about that many plastic civilian ones.

I have US, NATO and French Fuel Cans.
BTY, Blitz makes plastic water grade containers that are just like the military fuel cans. Perfect for showers and washing.

See the little 2.5 gallon half size one?
It's not a fuel can. It's a French Army Wine Can. Yep! It's for wine.
Never been used! Thought about filling it with Puerto Rican Rum a few times, but never have.
And it fits in my fuel can carriers just like the 5 gallon ones.

Here's an odd fact. NATO Fuel cans have a narrow neck while French Army Fuel cans are wide mouth.
Although they look the same externally and dimensionally, they use different size spouts.
The spouts have those flex steel necks on them, but I have learned to slip a plastic hose over the steel one to help avoid leakage.
A partial downside to the spouts is ahe spouts are not designed be on the cans when transported.
But, the lid seals can be locked down to prevent fuel theft or accidential spills.

Personally, I prefer the French Cans because they pour faster.

And did you know each can has a content label that you can change. I sometimes carry kerosene for cooking and heat or Diesel in mine.
I change the labels to prevent having to sniff the contents.

Cut it, hack it, weld it, make it better!
Ridiculous Ideas are my Bread and Butter
SSSRodeo
Drives on Dirt

Have thanks: 2 times

Postby Tad » Sat Jun 11, 2016 9:53 am

I like my Nato can as well. I had one of the small ones, but found it to not be worth the effort. Mercedes has a factory can that fits inside the spare tire. I always wanted one, although never enough to spend the money for it.

Looks like there is one on ebay for $165:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/orig-Mercedes-S ... r9&vxp=mtr
-Tad
Tad
Site Admin

Have thanks: 93 times

Postby SSSRodeo » Sat Jun 11, 2016 10:00 am

Tad wrote:I like my Nato can as well. I had one of the small ones, but found it to not be worth the effort. Mercedes has a factory can that fits inside the spare tire. I always wanted one, although never enough to spend the money for it.

Looks like there is one on ebay for $165:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/orig-Mercedes-S ... r9&vxp=mtr
-Tad

Yea I had one like that in my 63 VW BEETLE. No clue what happened to it. Those are slick.
Cut it, hack it, weld it, make it better!
Ridiculous Ideas are my Bread and Butter
SSSRodeo
Drives on Dirt

Have thanks: 2 times

Return to Outdoor Life