Our Simple Isuzu Trooper Camper Conversion- 1st trip

This forum is for the discussion of outdoor activities, other than trail rides

Moderator: Staff

Our Simple Isuzu Trooper Camper Conversion- 1st trip

Postby tiff » Mon Dec 28, 2015 1:36 pm

Hello! My name is Tiffany, I'm new to the forum. My husband and I just purchased a used 98 trooper to make into our adventure vehicle and I wanted to share the photos from our build and first trip. We have little to no woodworking/construction know-how and no power tools. We used this forum to find some great ideas for a simple camper conversion so thank you to everyone who posted pics of their set-up!! We had lowe's cut the wood for us and just did a simple platform and plastic storage. I wanted to make drawers but the plastic storage has been nice because it is easily removable and cleanable (we already spilled pancake batter in the mess kit drawer! haha.

A full-size futon mattress fits perfectly back there and we just fold it over while driving. The dogs have plenty of room to get comfy back there.
We used silver bubble wrap insulation in the windows for especially cold nights. It got down to 9 degrees one night in Moab, UT and we were just fine! The pups really help warm it up! I made curtains to the best of my ability. I had never sewn much before. I used bungie cords and screwed little hooks into the plastic to hang the curtains.

We're still figuring out how to best organize all of our stuff and deciding what things we really need on our trips. I would say our first multi-day trip in it was a success though.

For this post the author tiff was thanked by:
Tad
tiff
Drives on Pavement

Have thanks: 1 time

Sponsor

Re: Our Simple Isuzu Trooper Camper Conversion- 1st trip

Postby slainer » Mon Dec 28, 2015 4:33 pm

Great job, simple but effective is the way to roll. Visited my brother in law in Colorado this year, wished I could of did more exploring the outdoors.
slainer
Trail Master

Have thanks: 27 times

Postby BigSwede » Mon Dec 28, 2015 5:05 pm

Hi Tiffany. Looks great, I have a similar setup in my Trooper, love sleeping in there, especially when it is windy or raining. I haven't done the curtains though - as long as the sun isn't hitting me in the face I don't care.

Did you remove the back seats or fold them down and go over the top of them?
95 Trooper LS - 4" lift, 35" tires, 5.38 gears, ARB lockers
Indy4x Revolution 3.07:1 low range gears, Indy4x HD tie rods, homemade sway bar disconnects, Calmini HD sway bars, Darlington diff drop, OME 929 coil springs + 1" poly spacers and 1" body lift, Indy4x HD torsion bars, Indy4x HD rear axle links, Indy4x Kevlar brake lines, ARB bullbar, custom rear bumper with swing-out dual jerry can carrier, rock sliders, Sears Platinum Group 31 battery, ARB mini-compressor, Indy4x kevlar air lines, Warn M8000 winch, Blue Sea 6006 winch cutoff switch, Yaesu FT-1900R 2-meter ham radio, Larsen MHW-150C 1/2 wave antenna, Cobra 18WXST CB radio, Firestik II CB antenna, IPF driving lights, generic fog lights, two (2) Blue Sea auxiliary fuse panels, sleeping platform, and outofrshell Dave's custom 1" shifter extension. (I actually typed this list as a joke but people seem to like it.)
BigSwede
I am the Stig

Have thanks: 252 times

Postby tiff » Mon Dec 28, 2015 6:10 pm

Thanks!! I found a great video of a guy that built the bed over the folded seats. You may have seen the video, he does it in a Jackaroo which is similar to the trooper.
However, when I put the board in over the seats, I found that it was a little too high with the 6" mattress on top. So i decided to sacrifice the convenience of keeping the seats in to have more storage and more head room. We still can't quite sit up in it, but we can recline comfortably and read a book or watch something on the ipad.
How did you do it? Did you leave your backseat in place?
tiff
Drives on Pavement

Postby squatch » Mon Dec 28, 2015 6:37 pm

Nice job! Welcome to the planet.
These links have write-ups and pics of most anything you ever will do on a 2.6 Isuzu. Engine, brakes, suspension, interior, you name it! Enjoy!
Original '88 Trooper frame off build.
viewtopic.php?t=12172
The continuing Trooper project.
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=43909
My '88 Spacecab build. In progress.
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=56442
squatch
I am the Stig

Have thanks: 328 times

Postby BigSwede » Mon Dec 28, 2015 11:48 pm

tiff wrote:How did you do it? Did you leave your backseat in place?

Yes. the platform is level with the seats with the seatbacks folded down. I sleep with my head toward the back, and my feet hang over the footwell (I am 6'3").

Here it is with the seatbacks up. My dog rides in the back seat when we are on the road.
95 Trooper LS - 4" lift, 35" tires, 5.38 gears, ARB lockers
Indy4x Revolution 3.07:1 low range gears, Indy4x HD tie rods, homemade sway bar disconnects, Calmini HD sway bars, Darlington diff drop, OME 929 coil springs + 1" poly spacers and 1" body lift, Indy4x HD torsion bars, Indy4x HD rear axle links, Indy4x Kevlar brake lines, ARB bullbar, custom rear bumper with swing-out dual jerry can carrier, rock sliders, Sears Platinum Group 31 battery, ARB mini-compressor, Indy4x kevlar air lines, Warn M8000 winch, Blue Sea 6006 winch cutoff switch, Yaesu FT-1900R 2-meter ham radio, Larsen MHW-150C 1/2 wave antenna, Cobra 18WXST CB radio, Firestik II CB antenna, IPF driving lights, generic fog lights, two (2) Blue Sea auxiliary fuse panels, sleeping platform, and outofrshell Dave's custom 1" shifter extension. (I actually typed this list as a joke but people seem to like it.)

For this post the author BigSwede was thanked by:
tiff
BigSwede
I am the Stig

Have thanks: 252 times

Postby imamonstertruck » Tue Dec 29, 2015 11:44 am

Awesome Tiff! Welcome btw.

I love this photo

start a build thread in the "members ride" section and keep us updated

cheers
-Ian :blackeye:
-91 Trooper, 3.4 V6, 5speed, 4.77 gears, 3:1 Revo T-Case Gears, HD tie rods, 3" body lift, 2" suspension lift, 1.5" diff drop, 33x10.5x15 BFG A/T,
Round Eye Swap (JDM marker lamps).

1989 Trooper RS http://forum.planetisuzoo.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=81642&p=722882#p722882

Previous Troopers and Build Thread->http://forum.planetisuzoo.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=63260

1988 ISUZU TROOPER WORKSHOP MANUAL

"There are only two days in the year that nothing can be done. One is called yesterday and the other is called tomorrow, so today is the right day to love, believe, do and mostly live."~ Dalai Lama

“Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not.”Dr.Suess

Aaronmcvay84 wrote:I think with isuzus there is a more mature crowd that realizes the value of their hard work. They keep things.
imamonstertruck
I am the Stig

Have thanks: 165 times

Postby tiff » Tue Dec 29, 2015 12:41 pm

BigSwede wrote:
tiff wrote:How did you do it? Did you leave your backseat in place?

Yes. the platform is level with the seats with the seatbacks folded down. I sleep with my head toward the back, and my feet hang over the footwell (I am 6'3").

We are both short which, in this case, is fortunate. haha. I do wish we had decided to do the board in 2 pieces so accessing the storage underneath the front end would be easier. And we totally closed off that little pocket under the seats so that is storage space we now can't use.

I imagine we will rebuild one day as our needs change.
tiff
Drives on Pavement

Postby Meechum » Tue Jan 05, 2016 10:36 am

Nice! I wish it snowed in my area but then again my AMPT hates cold weather. Love the setup I am plaining somthig similar for my trooper aswell. Did you have any issues accessing materials? I was thinking to do pull out drawers so I could store and seperate items.

-Atom
89 Trooper | 4ZE1 | 5spd | 31x10's | SW M/H
Meechum
Drives on Pavement

Have thanks: 2 times

Postby tiff » Tue Jan 05, 2016 12:50 pm

Meechum wrote: Did you have any issues accessing materials? I was thinking to do pull out drawers so I could store and seperate items.

-Atom

Thanks Atom!
We haven't had any trouble. We ordered the mattress from walmart online w/ free delivery. It was only $60
You could also order foam and do a modular mattress that is easier to move/stack.

Almost everything else, we just got at our local lowes or home depot.

I'll make a post showing how we have all our stuff organized soon. We got plastic drawers from the Container Store and found some drawer separators at Bed Bath and beyond. Alternatively, you could make separators out of cardboard. The drawers are very long but leave a little room at the end for us to stuff in our hiking packs, snowshoes, folding chairs, etc . . .

We might go all out one day and build wooden drawers but our carpentry skills are lacking.
tiff
Drives on Pavement

Postby Meechum » Tue Jan 05, 2016 1:25 pm

Sounds like you guys have the same thirft style as myself and my wife. Thanks for the info and yes upload some photos of the setup when you get a chance! Once I get everything together I will have to do the same.
89 Trooper | 4ZE1 | 5spd | 31x10's | SW M/H

For this post the author Meechum was thanked by:
tiff
Meechum
Drives on Pavement

Have thanks: 2 times

Return to Outdoor Life