Deep woods gun rest.

This forum is for the discussion of outdoor activities, other than trail rides

Moderator: Staff

Deep woods gun rest.

Postby squatch » Sun Nov 01, 2015 4:04 pm

We have a backyard shooting range down by the river. Nothing fancy just a cleared path through the woods 50 yds long with a huge hill as a backstop. Getting up and down the hill is a bit of a chore if you have to carry much stuff. We don't have a bench or anything to rest on when shooting. So serious sighting work ect normally requires a trip to the county range.

The other day I had the idea to use an old camera tripod I had as a rest. It's light and paid for. Not super tall but a good height when sitting on a round of firewood. So for a test we took it down the other day and just folded a small towel and set it on top. It worked better than hoped for. Both for rifle and handguns. Not a proper bench rest mind you just a stable platform to set the rifle fore end hand on or your hands when shooting a pistol.

So I decided to go one step better than the towel. I had a couple or circles of 3/4" plywood I had cut out of something years ago laying around. I use one of them for a jack pad in the garage. The other was available. So was a scrap of closed cell foam, a scrap of leftover bassboat carpet, and I had a 1/4-20 Tee nut.

I drilled out the center hole for the tee nut and recessed it a little. Used a little rtv to lock it in place and glue the foam down with.

I then flipped it over and wrapped the carpet edges over and stapled them in place and trimmed up the carpet with scissors.

Mounted it on the tripod with the camera screw. Good to go. Lightweight and total cost was 15 minutes of my time.

Nice cheap alternative to buying a set of shooting sticks.
These links have write-ups and pics of most anything you ever will do on a 2.6 Isuzu. Engine, brakes, suspension, interior, you name it! Enjoy!
Original '88 Trooper frame off build.
viewtopic.php?t=12172
The continuing Trooper project.
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=43909
My '88 Spacecab build. In progress.
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=56442
squatch
I am the Stig

Have thanks: 328 times

Sponsor

Re: Deep woods gun rest.

Postby squatch » Sat Feb 06, 2016 9:28 pm

In action at the backyard range today.

I'm very pleased with this.
These links have write-ups and pics of most anything you ever will do on a 2.6 Isuzu. Engine, brakes, suspension, interior, you name it! Enjoy!
viewtopic.php?t=12172
squatch
I am the Stig

Postby BUSHBUSTER » Fri Mar 25, 2016 5:23 am

Great idea.. light weight. I'll have to make one up!
Don
BUSHBUSTER
Drives on Dirt

Have thanks: 3 times

Postby Hack » Fri Mar 25, 2016 8:33 am

It definitely works. You just have to remember that it is very light so you have to maintain control of the forestock and not just rely on the rest as you might do with a vice or sand bag.
Mario

Daily Driver: 1995 Trooper Limited, Auto, 3.2L DOHC, Rear LSD, HD Torsion Bars, Moog Cc812s, Cooper Discoverer A/T3 245/70-16
Trail Truck: 2001 Amigo, Auto, 3.2L, Rear LSD, Front Aussie Locker, DOR Drop Dif, HD Torsion Bars, OME 912s, BFG M/T KA2 33x10.5R15
RIP: 1988 Troop 2.6L 5spd. Burnt valve(s). Damaged frame. Parted out. Sent to crusher.
RIP: 1998 4WD Rodeo, Auto, 3.2L -- Ruined by Daughter #1 with Russian assistance. Parted out. Sent to crusher.
RIP: 1989 Troop 2.6L 5spd --- Stripped of all good parts. Body and rotted frame sent to the crusher.
RIP: 1999 2WD Amigo, Auto, 3.2L -- Engine blown and body damaged by Daughter #2. Parted out. Sent to crusher.
Hack
I am the Stig

Have thanks: 128 times

Postby BUSHBUSTER » Sun Mar 27, 2016 1:11 am

Hack
This is perfect for my dad, he's 75 and he still gets out to shoot quite a bit, and I've been thinking of making him a shooting bench. But there's the weight along with size etc, this is a genius portable solution. He's always been a crack shot. The tri-pod will give him greater stability, wheres as the walking stick he uses is just a little better than shooting offhand.... with his shakes he's developed.
Don
BUSHBUSTER
Drives on Dirt

Postby squatch » Tue Mar 29, 2016 7:51 pm

I've been happy with it. We used it a lot when Chronographing some loads recently.
viewtopic.php?t=12172
squatch
I am the Stig

Postby BUSHBUSTER » Sat Apr 09, 2016 4:31 pm

It wasn't so funny in the moment but this is truly good. I hope you get a laugh.
Still getting schooled!
Couldn't wait to tell dad about your camera tri pod for a shooting rest idea! Even though I was headed that way in a week or so to take the Isuzu down to show him and do a little shooting.
So I emailed him a that picture of and told him that Quote:"I had been using one for my long metal holder at my forge for a couple of years and that I'm a dumb --- for not thinking of your idea myself"... I don't hear nothing from him back... odd, since if he ain't shooting he's on the pc. He's got a pet peeve with computers...Me! My pet peeve is his pet peeve!

So I show up do a little visiting with mom and rest of the family.We load up his gear and standing in the garage. When I bring up the Email I sent about the camera tri pod and ask him what he thought... He gave me that look ...Oh sh*t here we go. Lol I turn 50 this year.. He didn't hear a word I said other than that "Email I sent"............ and told me he didn't understand the forge part, my pic was to small and He agreed with the dumbass part. Can't write, don't know how to resize a pic. yada yada yada...but not as politely ..I finally get him off of my illiterate ps skills and explain what the pic was about...another look... Oh god... He say's "Rod and I have been using them for fifteen years." (Rod- shooting buddy)
I'm getting a Some kinda pissy at this point, so I said "Bulls*^t why ain't i ever seen you use it?" He says "you always bring table and chairs"!!!
I swear he's got a selective memory!
BUSHBUSTER
Drives on Dirt

Postby squatch » Sat Apr 09, 2016 10:23 pm

That's pretty good! :lol:
viewtopic.php?t=12172
squatch
I am the Stig

Return to Outdoor Life