Warning about Taurus Revolvers!

This forum is for the discussion of outdoor activities, other than trail rides

Moderator: Staff

Warning about Taurus Revolvers!

Postby Hack » Tue Jun 02, 2015 2:45 pm

In Jan 2013 purchased the 380 Mini. It was the worst firearms purchase of my life! The trigger is horrible. But more than that, the cylinder would jam at least 3-4 times out of every 50 rounds. To free the jam the cylinder had to be rotated manually, as the trigger cannot be depressed once the cylinder jammed. This is a terrible situation for a firearm intended for concealed carry! Since that time I tried cleaning, polishing and working in the revolver. After running several hundred rounds through the revolver, the jamming (and trigger) never improved so this year I sent the revolver back to Taurus for a warranty repair.

Taurus customer service is horrendous. First, I had to ship the revolver back to them at my expense. Next, while their on-line tracking system acknowledged receipt of the revolver, the status never progressed past under review. So after 3 months, I called Taurus. I was informed that the revolver was unrepairable because the frame had been improperly drilled with some of the holes (including the one for the firing pin) misaligned. Taurus offered to ship a replacement revolver to an FFL but the catch is that I'd be responsible for the FFL fees. This presented a problem for me as the FFL fees for handguns is expensive in my home state of Maryland as a result of legislative changes that went into effect in Oct 2013. Without going into all of the details, it would cost me about $200 to receive the handgun from an FFL because I do not have the Maryland handgun purchasing license. I tried explaining this to Taurus and asked if they could either send the replacement revolver directly to me, which is permitted under Maryland law (I even gave them a link to the state police website), or provide a refund. Taurus refused and referred me to their policy on their website.

Two points are noteworthy: 1) It is unknown how wide-spread this the problem is. All I know is that my revolver was manufactured incorrectly and Taurus' quality control did not detect the problem. Taurus is returning my revolver with a letter saying that it is "unsafe". I do not know how many other "unsafe" Taurus revolvers are out there but Taurus seems to be in no hurry to warn its customers. 2) Taurus is hiding behind its company policy (posted on the website) to explain the fact that their remedy for the unsafe revolver would result in extensive charges to their customer. The fact that Taurus' sloppy manufacturing and poor quality control resulted in a unsafe firearm being delivered to their customer and the fact that the customer had this unsafe firearm for 2 years does not seem to bother the company.

As a result, I cannot recommend the 380 mini revolver and advise against having any dealings with Taurus.
Mario

Daily Driver: 1995 Trooper Limited, Auto, 3.2L DOHC, Rear LSD, HD Torsion Bars, Moog Cc812s, Cooper Discoverer A/T3 245/70-16
Trail Truck: 2001 Amigo, Auto, 3.2L, Rear LSD, Front Aussie Locker, DOR Drop Dif, HD Torsion Bars, OME 912s, BFG M/T KA2 33x10.5R15
RIP: 1988 Troop 2.6L 5spd. Burnt valve(s). Damaged frame. Parted out. Sent to crusher.
RIP: 1998 4WD Rodeo, Auto, 3.2L -- Ruined by Daughter #1 with Russian assistance. Parted out. Sent to crusher.
RIP: 1989 Troop 2.6L 5spd --- Stripped of all good parts. Body and rotted frame sent to the crusher.
RIP: 1999 2WD Amigo, Auto, 3.2L -- Engine blown and body damaged by Daughter #2. Parted out. Sent to crusher.
Hack
I am the Stig

Have thanks: 130 times

Sponsor

Re: Warning about Taurus Revolvers!

Postby Dingbat » Tue Jun 02, 2015 4:29 pm

So far I have seem to have gotten lucky with my Taurus Judge, I am sorry you got a dud and bad customer service.
Maybe if I have any future issues I should just go to a S&W .460, instead of dealing with Taurus service.
1997 UCS7VF (Rodeo / Passport / Frontera)
Wry Wench build thread
3-inch Calmini Lift Kit, Indy4x 1.5-inch Leaf Lift
Dingbat
Trail Master

Have thanks: 62 times

Postby Hack » Tue Jun 02, 2015 4:43 pm

From what I have read, some people get lucky. The thing is if you have a problem the cost of getting ti rectified more than eats up any cost savings from buying a Taurus. I naively thought that I'd be protected by the lifetime warranty. But even without the Maryland specific costs, just sending the handgun back to Taurus and dealing with the FFL charges adds close to $100 to the cost. And, then the replacement still comes from a company that has no pride in its products.
Mario

Daily Driver: 1995 Trooper Limited, Auto, 3.2L DOHC, Rear LSD, HD Torsion Bars, Moog Cc812s, Cooper Discoverer A/T3 245/70-16
Trail Truck: 2001 Amigo, Auto, 3.2L, Rear LSD, Front Aussie Locker, DOR Drop Dif, HD Torsion Bars, OME 912s, BFG M/T KA2 33x10.5R15
RIP: 1988 Troop 2.6L 5spd. Burnt valve(s). Damaged frame. Parted out. Sent to crusher.
RIP: 1998 4WD Rodeo, Auto, 3.2L -- Ruined by Daughter #1 with Russian assistance. Parted out. Sent to crusher.
RIP: 1989 Troop 2.6L 5spd --- Stripped of all good parts. Body and rotted frame sent to the crusher.
RIP: 1999 2WD Amigo, Auto, 3.2L -- Engine blown and body damaged by Daughter #2. Parted out. Sent to crusher.
Hack
I am the Stig

Postby wmorrisiii » Wed Jun 03, 2015 12:27 am

Not good to hear at all. I have shot some of their older stuff, none of their newer offerings. They used to make decent handguns at a good price point. Never had to deal directly with them but sounds like you got screwed. All the manufacturers are a little paranoid with all the new laws, but no excuse for not taking care of their customers. I wonder if the company was sold in the past few years? An acquisition can lead to the kind of problems you saw....poor QC, lousy customer service... often the result of cost cutting when new owners move in. Anyway, thanks for the heads up. I usually don't find out this stuff until after its happened to me.
Willie's 1990 Trooper LS, 2.8L
The Duck Marsh Debutante

Willie's 1987 Trooper LS, 2.3L
The Coonhound
wmorrisiii
Almost Joe Isuzu

Have thanks: 178 times

Postby squatch » Thu Jun 04, 2015 9:42 am

They have not been sold. They are actually buying other companies such as Heritage. Heritage makes a nice inexpensive single action Colt SAA replica in 22lr and 357 mag.
These links have write-ups and pics of most anything you ever will do on a 2.6 Isuzu. Engine, brakes, suspension, interior, you name it! Enjoy!
Original '88 Trooper frame off build.
viewtopic.php?t=12172
The continuing Trooper project.
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=43909
My '88 Spacecab build. In progress.
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=56442
squatch
I am the Stig

Have thanks: 328 times

Postby IsuzuGeek » Thu Jun 04, 2015 12:35 pm

Bad guns are difficult to swallow. After a few bad guns myself, I made a personal promise to myself to only buy tried and true firearms from major, quality manufactures. That said, I would think Taurus falls into that category, but apparently not. Thanks for the heads up.

Bart
:(
IsuzuGeek
I am the Stig

Have thanks: 198 times

Postby Hack » Thu Jun 04, 2015 12:57 pm

Some people get lucky with Taurus and have no problems. Others take advantage of their lifetime warranty and eventually end up with a useful fire arm. However, from what I have seen, Taurus makes it difficult and expensive to use their warranty service. Their attitude is for them to avoid expenses. I have had issues with other firearms (e.g., from Henry and S&W) and have had to send them back for warranty repairs. But the other manufacturers were interested in making me happy and apologized for my inconvenience. Taurus doesn't seem to care that they shipped me an unsafe (their words) revolver and were unwilling to even consider altering the policy on their website.
Mario

Hack
I am the Stig

Postby N law » Fri Jun 05, 2015 11:07 am

Do you have the "right" to sell the unsafe revolver to another "individual" out of your state and let them receive the replacement in a state with lower FFL Fees?

I know in TN we only pay $10 for the background check and then whatever fees the FFL wants for his trouble.
99 VX
96 Rodeo Build thread
1975 FJ40
69 Beetle
84 Westfalia
70 VW bus turned camper
86 VW Diesel Golf
07 Frontier V6 6 speed
1999 4Runner Limitee- wife's
2004 Genuine Stella Scooter
N law
Almost Joe Isuzu

Have thanks: 63 times

Postby Hack » Fri Jun 05, 2015 12:02 pm

That is a thought, but right now I am busy answering allegations of being a troll as I try to spread the word about the gun.
Mario

Hack
I am the Stig

Postby wmorrisiii » Sat Jun 06, 2015 9:12 am

Hack wrote:That is a thought, but right now I am busy answering allegations of being a troll as I try to spread the word about the gun.

Nice, attack the guy who is posting his documented experience in an objective manner. Screw that, and thank you for again for the heads up.
Willie's 1990 Trooper LS, 2.8L
The Duck Marsh Debutante

Willie's 1987 Trooper LS, 2.3L
The Coonhound
wmorrisiii
Almost Joe Isuzu

Have thanks: 178 times

Postby Hack » Sat Jun 06, 2015 9:45 am

wmorrisiii wrote:
Hack wrote:That is a thought, but right now I am busy answering allegations of being a troll as I try to spread the word about the gun.

Nice, attack the guy who is posting his documented experience in an objective manner. Screw that, and thank you for again for the heads up.

Some did not like the fact that I made the same post on several different forums and that this was my first post on their forum. So the feeding frenzy of derogatory comments began. It didn't help that the default setting on several forums was NOT to provide automatic notification about replies. So by the time that I got back and checked the threads, there were pages of comments. I tried to respond to each comment to show that I was a real person and thought that this might be a serious problem, but it was difficult given the number of people dismissing my concerns especially at a Taurus forum that I stumbled upon.

In any case, the overwhelming opinion is that I have no basis for complaint, that Taurus tried to make good by offering to send a replacement revolver to a FFL and that my real complaint was with the state of Maryland, not Taurus. I hope that these people are correct that my poorly made unsafe revolver is just an isolated problem and not an indication of systemic issues at Taurus.
Mario

Hack
I am the Stig

Postby JLEMOND » Thu Jul 23, 2015 9:36 pm

Hack wrote:
wmorrisiii wrote:

Some did not like the fact that I made the same post on several different forums and that this was my first post on their forum. So the feeding frenzy of derogatory comments began. It didn't help that the default setting on several forums was NOT to provide automatic notification about replies. So by the time that I got back and checked the threads, there were pages of comments. I tried to respond to each comment to show that I was a real person and thought that this might be a serious problem, but it was difficult given the number of people dismissing my concerns especially at a Taurus forum that I stumbled upon.

In any case, the overwhelming opinion is that I have no basis for complaint, that Taurus tried to make good by offering to send a replacement revolver to a FFL and that my real complaint was with the state of Maryland, not Taurus. I hope that these people are correct that my poorly made unsafe revolver is just an isolated problem and not an indication of systemic issues at Taurus.

MARIO, ANYTHING THAT I HAVE EVER SEEN FROM TAURUS THAT HAD OVER TWO MOVING PARTS WAS JUNK. FIRST PISTOL I EVER BOUGHT WAS A 38 REVOLVER IN CAL , MANY YEARS AGO, ,BOUGHT FROM THE GUN STORE THAT MAKES THE HI DOLLAR RIFLES ,CAINT EVEN REMEMBER THE NAME NOW , BUT THAT DAM GUN YOU COULD THROW IT AT A TARGET OR WHAT EVER YOU WERE SHOOTING AT AND HAVE A BETTER CHANCE AT HITTING IT .GOT RID OF THAT PIECE OF CRAP AND BOUGHT A 38 SPECIAL 4 IN CH BARRELL S.W BASICALLY THE MODEL 15 BUT WAS BUILT ON THE 22 FRAME , IT WAS FOR SMALL HANDED PEOPLE LIKE ME ,WAS BUILT FOR STREET COPS ,SO IT IS LIGHTER THAN THE REG MODEL 15, AND HAD BEEN USED VERY LITTLE , IT LOOKED LIKE NEW AND STILL DOES 40 YEARS LATER AND SHOOTS DEAD ON , IT HAS TAKEN A LOT OF RABBITS , DOUBLE ACTION OF COURSE , IT SHOOTS WHERE YOU POINT IT , THE TAURUS WOULD SHOULD EVERYWHERE EXCEPT WHERE YOU POINTED IT AND SHAVED LEAD LIKE CRAZY
JLEMOND
I am the Stig

Have thanks: 255 times

Postby Hack » Thu Jul 23, 2015 10:28 pm

Well mine is now a paperweight.
Mario

Hack
I am the Stig

Postby Med!c » Sun Aug 02, 2015 11:19 pm

I know a guy who does FFL in columbia MD for like 30-50 bucks.
00' Trooper 4x4- V6 3.5L
5-Speed Manual Aisin AR-5
Isuzu 12-Bolt Modified LSD
Isuzu 10-Bolt Aussie Locked
BGF AT T/A KO 285/75/16
Miss my old rodeo.

98-02 Isuzu Workshop Manual: Link
Med!c
I am the Stig

Have thanks: 86 times

Postby Hack » Mon Aug 03, 2015 8:56 am

Thanks, but I do not have an HQL licence. Besides, I had Taurus ship back the revolver, so that option is off the table.

Taurus just announced a major recall of their 9 best selling semi-automatics. No wonder, they weren't concerned about my problem.
Mario

Hack
I am the Stig

Postby Dingbat » Mon Aug 03, 2015 1:59 pm

Yeesh, looks like $200 - $225 for the HQL. Hope you do not need to reapply for a HQL for each purchase ($50).

I really hope the next POTUS is not from some liberal hell like MD or Chiraq, or we might all get these "licenses/taxes".
1997 UCS7VF (Rodeo / Passport / Frontera)
Wry Wench build thread
3-inch Calmini Lift Kit, Indy4x 1.5-inch Leaf Lift
Dingbat
Trail Master

Have thanks: 62 times

Postby Hack » Mon Aug 03, 2015 9:11 pm

No, HQL is $100+ and lasts for 5 years. Problem is that you are then on the MD hit list and only get the right to purchase handguns for your trouble. Then you have to pay the MD FFL who charges above average prices for the transfer because of the paperwork required by MD. In my case, I didn't think the expenses were worth getting a replacement revolver from Taurus because I had no real assurance that the replacement work work any better then the original. Basically, I just decided to cut my loses.
Mario

Hack
I am the Stig

Return to Outdoor Life