Spacecab gets a backpack.

This forum is for the discussion of outdoor activities, other than trail rides

Moderator: Staff

Spacecab gets a backpack.

Postby squatch » Fri Mar 13, 2015 10:51 pm

Some may remember my almost selling my Zu's last year to get a truck with camper package. The original plan which I'm back to was to get a camper for the Spacecab. That's what I originally bought it for. A 4wheel camper: http://www.fourwh.com/
On the home page slideshow if you see the dark colored Taco with big tires and grill guard you get the idea(Except Isuzu not 'Yota).

I found a 4wheel Camper 2012 Eagle shell model with the right options on CL in Jacksonville, Florida a few weeks ago. It was a dealer trade in on a motor home. I bought it over the phone.

So anyway Hack and myself just got back from a mad dash to Florida to get the new/slightly used camper. I left my house northwest of Baltimore at 5:30am Wed. Picked up Hack and headed south. We hit Jacksonville that evening and found our hotel. Thursday morning up early and to the dealer. Loaded the camper and on the road back home at noon. I was feeling good so just kept driving. Back at the house at 3:30am Friday morning. 1,550 miles in 46 hours. My Spacer is still waiting for an engine so I pulled my boat trailer down and loaded the camper on it. Flat bottom boat so it's pretty much a flatbed. Red Beans as usual towed the load like a champ. My appreciation for the new cam just gets better all the time. We cruised at 70-75 all the way down pulling my trailer. 60-65 home with the camper on it.

We chained the camper to the trailer frame with the factory turnbuckles.

We added 4) 1,000lb ratchet straps as insurance. The camper rode like a dream and never budged. We didn't even have to adjust a strap.

The idea is these are Off Road Campers. They have welded aluminum frames that flex. Very light weight. When you get to camp the top pops in about 2 minutes and you are set up. Mine is an Eagle which is the size for mini/mid sized trucks. You can get them loaded or a bare shell model. Mine is a shell model with a few options. It has:

12 volt deep cycle battery and an Isolator so that the truck can charge the battery on the road. Interior and exterior lighting. 2) 12 volt outlets. I'm pretty sure that it's already wired for roof solar panels as well. Alarms for smoke, c02, Propane leaks.

It has a propane furnace with a propane stove on top.2) 10lb tanks.

Pass thru front window with boot. Pullout queen bed over the cab. Gas lifting struts.

Roll over couch that makes a single bed and has storage underneath.

It also has 2 roof vents made by Fantastic fan that don't have the fans but they can be added. I think the camper is prewired.

Closed up.

Open. 6'4" standup room inside.

I'll probably add full length Yakima roof rack tracks on top. (Factory option I'll add). This will carry 2 canoes and I can still open the lid with them up there. Maybe solar panels to charge batteries eventually. But mostly it's pretty much what I want as is. Now I have to get the Truck on the road!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :shock: :shock: :lol: :lol:
These links have write-ups and pics of most anything you ever will do on a 2.6 Isuzu. Engine, brakes, suspension, interior, you name it! Enjoy!
Original '88 Trooper frame off build.
viewtopic.php?t=12172
The continuing Trooper project.
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=43909
My '88 Spacecab build. In progress.
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=56442
squatch
I am the Stig

Have thanks: 328 times

Sponsor

Re: Spacecab gets a backpack.

Postby wmorrisiii » Sat Mar 14, 2015 12:11 am

The East Coast turnaround. That is a lot of blacktop in a short amount of time! The camper is nice looking and looks roomy with the top popped. I'm impressed too that Red Beans enjoyed the trip. I was laughing when I saw the picture of the camper chained and strapped to your boat trailer. Two thoughts. One was you must have really wanted that camper, and two, if Jed Clampett moved a camper from FL to MD, that is exactly how he would do it :lol:
Willie's 1990 Trooper LS, 2.8L
The Duck Marsh Debutante

Willie's 1987 Trooper LS, 2.3L
The Coonhound
wmorrisiii
Almost Joe Isuzu

Have thanks: 178 times

Postby squatch » Sat Mar 14, 2015 12:21 am

Red Beans likes road trips. She's been to Kentucky and Indiana twice and Florida once just since November. We added 3 new states for her this trip!

Yes I really wanted that Camper! Until late fall there has been no east coast dealers. These things are rare east of the Mississippi. We now have a dealer in PA. But this was much cheaper than new and almost new.

Jed is my hero! :D
These links have write-ups and pics of most anything you ever will do on a 2.6 Isuzu. Engine, brakes, suspension, interior, you name it! Enjoy!
viewtopic.php?t=12172
squatch
I am the Stig

Postby -88- » Sat Mar 14, 2015 3:58 am

I don't think anyone here has forgot about the 'almost incident'....new members might be clueless, but for the rest of us it's like a brand in the back of our minds. A horrific nightmare we can't, neh couldn't escape until now. Now you have the special cam, & your special camper.....we know ur almost completely stuck with us for good again.

The camper looks great man, congratulations...during the incident we talked this stuff over pretty good...i know what the camper meant to you so deeply & sincerely congratulations.

Your pix do it alot more justice then the main sites... In the pic facing forward with the top up, I assume the pistons arn't as invasive as they appear...but what's up with the bungee cord?
Ada-99 Trooper;3.5 TOD, Luxury, 2inch crank front,+2in calmini springs&spacers rear, 265/70/r17's (axioms)-Wife's whip
Tin Cup-90 Amigo; 2.6 4x4, 5spd, ala mexican special for the time being
Dr.Molly- 94 Amigo; 2.6 2wd, 5spd, 5% smaller goodyear wranglers on 15in snowflakes, predominantly stock, cruiser (& staying minimally modded)
José Rosé-92 Pu't Spacecab; 2.6 2wd, auto, future 16inch steelies, old skool street rubber,
Frank-95 Pu't Reg. Cab; 2.3 2wd, 5spd, T-bar crank and cheap shackle lift... Mild down a bit & sold, but still near & dear.
My garage- viewtopic.php?f=15&t=76464#p674958
-88-
Almost Joe Isuzu

Have thanks: 103 times

Postby shaggydoink » Sat Mar 14, 2015 8:45 am

Wow, this is extremely cool!! Are these campers intended to be able to withstand trail riding, or not quite to that extreme?

Jonathan
1990 Trooper S - 2.6L, 5-speed (my truck)
1991 Trooper S - 2.8L V6, 4-speed auto (maintained for littleredtrooper)
Ride hard, tread lightly.
shaggydoink
Donor
Donor

Have thanks: 386 times

Postby wmorrisiii » Sat Mar 14, 2015 10:42 am

Two Troopers and an Amigo, Jonathan. I see a Spacecab and a camper in your future :D. How nice would that be at Uwharrie! This camper can apparently carry a few canoes on top as well. And you hardly qualify as a Rookie anymore. I re-read your threads now for motivation and inspiration :lol: The way my lovely wife is working out our schedule for Easter and college graduations for nephews and nieces, I might have a chance of making it down for Spring Uwharrie :D I'm cautiously optimistic at this point and trying not to get too excited yet...even if I decide late and can't get into arrowhead, I can always book into the my favorite no-tell motel in Troy for a night or two.
The Duck Marsh Debutante

The Coonhound
wmorrisiii
Almost Joe Isuzu

Postby shaggydoink » Sat Mar 14, 2015 12:52 pm

wmorrisiii wrote:Two Troopers and an Amigo, Jonathan. I see a Spacecab and a camper in your future :D. How nice would that be at Uwharrie!

Yeah, I must admit that this post got me thinking about how nice this setup would be for me... I'm really looking forward to seeing the truck and camper together!

Jonathan
shaggydoink
Donor
Donor

Postby squatch » Sat Mar 14, 2015 1:23 pm

88 The lift struts are an option to help raise the roof. Especially with a load on the roof. They can be in the way sometimes depending on how you sleep in the overhead bed. Once the roof is up they can be popped loose with a screwdriver to open the spring clips easily. Now they put them on the outside fore and aft. Basically owners were doing this and they used the idea from them. The bungie's go across from window to window. When you drop the top they pull in and fold the fabric as it lowers. Pretty slick and simple. They've been making these for 25+ years now. They've got them pretty worked out.

I'll probably eventually mount 2 sets of lift struts outside. I'll use the existing one as one of the sets with different mounts.

Shaggy yes it's meant to off road. Would I drive a rock crawling championship with it in the bed? NO. But forest service roads ect go for it. These have welded aluminum frames so they won't shake apart like a conventional wood framed RV.

There is actually a forum dedicated to this type of camper and off road travel in them. Remember these are about travel. Not seeing the biggest rock i can climb in my camper. Off road touring! :D
http://www.wanderthewest.com/forum/

There are actually a couple of companies that make this style of off road camper. Here is another. https://allterraincampers.com/ The problem is they are all in CA! expensive to get them sent east.

For those that are members on Expo Portal check out some of the pics here. http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/t ... uck-Photos

This thread is epic and really explains what these are about. This guy uses his 60+ nights a year. http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/t ... r-A-Review
An image from that thread.
viewtopic.php?t=12172

For this post the author squatch was thanked by:
shaggydoink
squatch
I am the Stig

Postby Hack » Sat Mar 14, 2015 5:57 pm

squatch wrote:So anyway Hack and myself just got back from a mad dash to Florida to get the new/slightly used camper. I left my house northwest of Baltimore at 5:30am Wed. Picked up Hack and headed south. We hit Jacksonville that evening and found our hotel. Thursday morning up early and to the dealer. Loaded the camper and on the road back home at noon. I was feeling good so just kept driving. Back at the house at 3:30am Friday morning. 1,550 miles in 46 hours. My Spacer is still waiting for an engine so I pulled my boat trailer down and loaded the camper on it. Flat bottom boat so it's pretty much a flatbed. Red Beans as usual towed the load like a champ. My appreciation for the new cam just gets better all the time. We cruised at 70-75 all the way down pulling my trailer. 60-65 home with the camper on it.

You forgot to mention the headwinds that we ran into on the return trip. We were in 80+ degree temps in FL, which wore us out as we loaded the camper. Then we hit a cold front in GA that generated lots of wind.

The lip and front of the camper acted like a sail and really caught the wind. That was the only time during the trip that it was evident that Redbeans only has a 2.6. We couldn't maintain speed unless we stayed in the wind shadow of a big rig. Once the front passed and the wind died down, Redbeans easily pulled the camper at 70. That new cam is amazing when combined with the 4.77 gears and custom exhaust. :D
Mario

Daily Driver: 1995 Trooper Limited, Auto, 3.2L DOHC, Rear LSD, HD Torsion Bars, Moog Cc812s, Cooper Discoverer A/T3 245/70-16
Trail Truck: 2001 Amigo, Auto, 3.2L, Rear LSD, Front Aussie Locker, DOR Drop Dif, HD Torsion Bars, OME 912s, BFG M/T KA2 33x10.5R15
RIP: 1988 Troop 2.6L 5spd. Burnt valve(s). Damaged frame. Parted out. Sent to crusher.
RIP: 1998 4WD Rodeo, Auto, 3.2L -- Ruined by Daughter #1 with Russian assistance. Parted out. Sent to crusher.
RIP: 1989 Troop 2.6L 5spd --- Stripped of all good parts. Body and rotted frame sent to the crusher.
RIP: 1999 2WD Amigo, Auto, 3.2L -- Engine blown and body damaged by Daughter #2. Parted out. Sent to crusher.
Hack
I am the Stig

Have thanks: 130 times

Postby shaggydoink » Sat Mar 14, 2015 7:13 pm

squatch wrote:This thread is epic and really explains what these are about. This guy uses his 60+ nights a year. http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/t ... r-A-Review
An image from that thread.

^^ That ^^ pretty much answers my question! :D Thanks for sharing the link to this thread, I hope to see one with YOUR adventures sometime soon! :thumbup:

Jonathan
shaggydoink
Donor
Donor

Postby wmorrisiii » Sat Mar 14, 2015 11:01 pm

That thread is fantastic! The guy writes really well. The storm he weathered during his first night with the camper was good reading. You felt like you were there, and since this guy was all over Moab with the camper on, his opinion that it didn't affect his wheeling ability at all is worth knowing. I think that was after he added the air bags in back though. Bottom line, I like his life. 60 days escaping the real world and getting lost in the wilderness...hard to believe that anyone can get the time to do that anymore. Pure envy here.
The Duck Marsh Debutante

The Coonhound
wmorrisiii
Almost Joe Isuzu

Postby IsuzuGeek » Sun Mar 15, 2015 12:12 am

That camper looks nice, Mark.

Reminds of something I just pulled the trigger on last week. :twisted:

Bart
:(
IsuzuGeek
I am the Stig

Have thanks: 198 times

Postby wmorrisiii » Sun Mar 15, 2015 10:10 am

Expedition trailer, Bart?
The Duck Marsh Debutante

The Coonhound
wmorrisiii
Almost Joe Isuzu

Postby IsuzuGeek » Sun Mar 15, 2015 10:49 am

wmorrisiii wrote:Expedition trailer, Bart?

I'll post about it soon in my thread...but it's not a trailer.

Bart
:(
IsuzuGeek
I am the Stig

Have thanks: 198 times

Postby shaggydoink » Sun Mar 15, 2015 12:19 pm

IsuzuGeek wrote:I'll post about it soon in my thread...but it's not a trailer.

Boy, talk about a....

shaggydoink
Donor
Donor

Postby squatch » Sun Mar 15, 2015 1:40 pm

I slept in the camper last night. Temps in the 30s here. Used the furnace to warm it up then turned it off. Slept in 20* winter bags zipped together to make a double. Fit's the big bed perfect and I was snug as a bug in a rug. Real windy this am. I could hear it in the trees but camper and canvas were quiet and still.
viewtopic.php?t=12172
squatch
I am the Stig

Postby wmorrisiii » Sun Mar 15, 2015 2:17 pm

Damnit!!! That is good news that I do not need to hear. I have a 2.3 engine to rebuild and I do not need to be dreaming about how I am going to get a camping trailer or something comfortable to sleep in...with a stove and heat and a refrigerator and maybe a memory foam mattress. I have a leaky tent, a saggy, heavy cot, a good sleeping bag, a Coleman lantern, two flashlights, and a cracked Igloo cooler. For thirty years this has been enough. Why does snug as a bug in a rug sound so good now. No wind noise, no movement. Really. And you can put an awning on them too. Crap!
The Duck Marsh Debutante

The Coonhound
wmorrisiii
Almost Joe Isuzu

Postby squatch » Sun Mar 15, 2015 6:37 pm

Don't sweat it. It took me 20+ years to get this after I 1st found out about them. I'll still be doing a good bit of sleeping in the Tent-Cot.

This is for trips with Mama Squatch to the Beach ect. Maybe the occasional trip to GWNF. Due to health reasons she can't take the jostling that goes with wheeling trips. But now that we are retired the camper should allow her to get out more often. If only for quick overnighters.

I'm really liking the extra room I have because of not having the cabinets with fridge and sink. Coming from a tent background I'm overjoyed to have a stove and heat. Don't miss the running water I've never had.

My wife has a Honda CRV. In the back of these they have a small card table over the area where a spare tire would be in a hatchback. I picked up 2 of these from junkyards a couple of years back for a total of $20 to use for camping.

Pretty compact, light, strong.

Since we carry these anyway for outside use I thought I'd see if one would work inside the camper.

For the test fit I just folded down 1 leg and set the back side on a cushion and a waterbotle that was in hand. I think I already have a simple mount idea for the back side. I think this will work fine. I like things that serve multiple purposes. The pics look grungy. That table came from a car that someone spilled paint in. So not really filthy just painted.

I've obviously got a lot of ideas running through my head right now for both the camper and the truck. So i'll probably just continue this thread as a sorta discovery, build, question thread for now. I don't have big plans for a lot of heavy mods just little things like this table and such.
viewtopic.php?t=12172
squatch
I am the Stig

Postby wmorrisiii » Sun Mar 15, 2015 8:31 pm

I think it's great! It should be a lot of fun to build to your needs. I'm just envious of the fact that you can be out in the cold and wet and also really close to heat and coffee. 30 years ago no problem sleeping out in the weather and waiting on a fire to get going in the morning. Camping now with a few creature comforts is really appealing. I'd been looking at the Scamp trailer, pretty spartan but I thought would work well for what I do, as it would provide a fixed base to operate from and the Trooper can tow it. These are also hard to find on the used market and pricey. That camper you bought is well designed and offers way more versatility. It's always with you, so if you want to stop and pop the top, you're home. And it obviously does fine off road, or better than fine off road according to the review in the link you provided. I love simple, well built functional products and this pushes all those buttons. I'll be following along with great interest to see how you set it up and how it performs on your adventures.
The Duck Marsh Debutante

The Coonhound
wmorrisiii
Almost Joe Isuzu

Postby squatch » Sun Mar 15, 2015 9:10 pm

You pretty much said it. "A few creature comforts is appealing!" especially at my age.

As far as the Scamps talk to our man Jlemond. He tows a Casita. I think it's a HD Scamp. Same family different factories.

Bart I gather you just got a nice Roof Top Tent!
viewtopic.php?t=12172
squatch
I am the Stig

Postby oldestisuzuist » Mon Mar 16, 2015 12:29 am

Think seriously about adding to the rear suspension to make up for the added weight of the new camper & possibly even adding a rear sway bar to counteract the new higher center of gravity. An add-a-leaf plus a ADDCO #462 should be a cheap & easy install.
'78 LUV, 1.9, headers, 4-spd, SAS Dana 30 front, Dana 20, SOA rear w/Aussie Locker, 31's, serious body cancer, bought new 12/4/78.
'87 Trooper, 2.3, headers, 5-spd, 31's, ball joint flip, Aussie Locker rear, Superwinch hubs, brush guard w/5.5K winch, needs motor, work in progress.
oldestisuzuist
Almost Joe Isuzu

Have thanks: 250 times

Postby -88- » Mon Mar 16, 2015 2:26 am

I'm a little appalled you've kept those tables a secret from me for this long.
Ada-99 Trooper;3.5 TOD, Luxury, 2inch crank front,+2in calmini springs&spacers rear, 265/70/r17's (axioms)-Wife's whip
Tin Cup-90 Amigo; 2.6 4x4, 5spd, ala mexican special for the time being
Dr.Molly- 94 Amigo; 2.6 2wd, 5spd, 5% smaller goodyear wranglers on 15in snowflakes, predominantly stock, cruiser (& staying minimally modded)
José Rosé-92 Pu't Spacecab; 2.6 2wd, auto, future 16inch steelies, old skool street rubber,
Frank-95 Pu't Reg. Cab; 2.3 2wd, 5spd, T-bar crank and cheap shackle lift... Mild down a bit & sold, but still near & dear.
My garage- viewtopic.php?f=15&t=76464#p674958
-88-
Almost Joe Isuzu

Have thanks: 103 times

Postby squatch » Mon Mar 16, 2015 12:16 pm

-88- wrote:I'm a little appalled you've kept those tables a secret from me for this long.

You just haven't been paying attention. viewtopic.php?f=21&t=51841
viewtopic.php?t=12172
squatch
I am the Stig

Postby squatch » Mon Mar 16, 2015 12:40 pm

oldestisuzuist wrote:Think seriously about adding to the rear suspension to make up for the added weight of the new camper & possibly even adding a rear sway bar to counteract the new higher center of gravity. An add-a-leaf plus a ADDCO #462 should be a cheap & easy install.

You know me better than that. Already covered. Ultimately the Spacer would be built very similar to Red Beans suspension wise. But that's down the road. Since I've retired budget is more of a factor. I'm going to start with a stock truck and work from there. That way I have a baseline.

So for now I'm going to work through the pile of parts I have on hand mostly. Just checked the shed and I have a slightly used set of 30x9.50x15 radial rover APT's on snowflakes. They are C rated LT's so they get the nod for now. Both sets of 235's are P rated so no camper on them.

The pickup has 4.30 gears so before the engine goes in I'm going to install the 4.56 third members that came out of Red Beans. These only have 86k miles on them. I have another set of 4:77s but they need to be built on diffs. Long term plans for those with LSD rear and locker front.

Over the winter I bought one of the few remaining sets of Calmini HD sway bars for the pickup. http://www.calmini.com/detail.php?b=3&m=12&t=2&p=807&n= They are sitting in a box in the garage. The rear won't fit OME springs so the Addco may come into it if I change rear springs. For now the plan is either a set of Tmbrens (combo bumpstop rubber overload spring). These replace the bumps stops in the rear. http://www.summitracing.com/search/year ... 2%2B402100

Either that or air lift bags. http://www.summitracing.com/parts/air-59529 I like the simplicity of the Timbrens but like the adjustablilty of the air lifts. At this point I'm not looking to add lift to the truck so not going for springs yet. I'll also probably upgrade to HD torsion bars. The truck already has brand new Skyjacker shocks and I have a spare set of brand new KYB's. The brakes are stock size but have been upgraded to drilled rotors and HP pads. I'll go to big brakes eventually. So for now shooting for minimal upgrades. This camper base weight is only 560lbs as it sits about 650 lbs. So not really that heavy. We had no problem muscling it around on the trailer by hand.

Also Jerry is holding a new sliding rear window for me. The camper came with a removable front window and the boot for between the cab and truck. It's the black square in the pics.

The camper already has a battery separator built in so it can hooked up to the truck to charge the camper battery while driving. Long term I want to go with 2 batteries and solar panels on the roof to charge them. I want enough juice to run the furnace, lights, and an Engle 12v compressor fridge. https://www.engel-usa.com/why-choose-en ... r-features enough panel wattage and I should be able to go indefinitely without shore power.

I'd love to have the camper and tow the bass boat. But that is unrealistic. One or the other but not both. This is a 4cyl mini truck. However once I have roof racks installed I can carry a canoe on the roof. Or I can tow this little trailer with a canoe on it. It weighs almost nothing with a boat on it. I might even replace my tandem canoe with a square back so I can use my 4hp outboard on it.

I also have this spiffy little 2 bike rack that fits in a receiver. With this I can have the camper, canoe on roof, bikes on the back. I think that is all doable. Let the fun hogging begin! :D
viewtopic.php?t=12172
squatch
I am the Stig

Postby squatch » Tue Mar 17, 2015 12:28 am

The table is now a done deal. I found simple solution to hanging the back side. Something that wouldn't be a problem for sitting on the bench when the table is gone.

This is a boat cover strap. I tucked the tail behind the bed support and put the screw through it. Hanging down is just a web strap and a Fastex type buckle. 30 second set up. The table has rubber on the feet that stick well to the floor. So once pushed into the corner it's quite solid.

There is room for one beside the table on the bench and one in front on the couch. Both in reasonable comfort with some leg room.

When not using the table this is all that's left. A lash point for traveling.

This is where a Porta=Pot fits.

Folded down for travel. You can still use the lower couch/bed for stealth camping without popping the top.
viewtopic.php?t=12172
squatch
I am the Stig

Next

Return to Outdoor Life