Flashlights

This forum is for the discussion of outdoor activities, other than trail rides

Moderator: Staff

Flashlights

Postby AudioRedneck » Sun Nov 16, 2014 11:55 pm

My son is wanting a tactical flashlight for Christmas. If you have a notable favorite, please comment.

My son is currently looking at this one:
http://www.amazon.com/Fenix-PD35-Flashl ... 6195800790

My favorites are my 25 year old Mag-lights (2-AA and 3 D-Cell), a Smith & Wesson Dual 9 LED/Xenon, and a host of little 3-AAA pocket LED flashlights I keep in the vehicles and tool boxes.
RIP Buster 1993-2014: 1993 Rodeo 4x4 ( ALMOST cut down in the prime of life by a little old lady and her insurance company)
3.2 V6 222,000+
Pretty much stock: 235/75-15 tires, Flowmaster "Purple Hornie" glasspack,
Buster's Adventures: viewtopic.php?t=48582

Bruised and dented, Buster soldiers on.....
AudioRedneck
Mud King

Have thanks: 4 times

Sponsor

Re: Flashlights

Postby Sags » Mon Nov 17, 2014 1:31 am

Define "tactical" please.

That word gets thrown around so much these days, and especially in this context I don't know what the heck it means... (I was thinking that you meant palmable smaller lights by it, but then you mentioned D-cell Maglites) sometimes I think it just means "painted in OD green or FDE tan."

It would be more helpful i think if you could tell us approximately what size of light, what he will be primarily using it for, and what the budget is.

For what it's worth my pocket flashlight at work everyday is a Surefire G2X fits nicely in the side pocket of my Carhartts and has taken several high falls onto the hangar floor or asphalt ramp and after nearly 3 years of daily use it's still works just fine.

Also the recent Mag-Lite products I've used really sucked. I mean the little $2.99 3AAA cell Chinese LED lights you find at the checkout of the local gas station are now much better then the $15 Mini-Maglites, no joke. They went from a top brand back in the 80's, (then they kind of missed the whole LED train by a decade) to garbage today.

Honestly anything from a good brand like, Surefire, Fenix, Coast, Streamlight is going to be a good light. I'd stay away from brands like Dorcy and Maglite personally.

If that Fenix light is what your son's wants and it's in the budget, I wouldn't hesitate to get it.
'99 Rodeo 3.2L LS 4wd, 5 speed, 265/75 r16s and 3" lift.
Sags
Zu Royalty

Have thanks: 42 times

Postby Trail_Blazer71 » Mon Nov 17, 2014 2:55 am

I think tactical in this sense means blindingly bright. But I do have a couple of those silly "stabbing" flashlights, lol. I didn't buy them, can't imagine what you would use the "tactical edge" for, other than pissing off a would-be attacker. But the light is pretty good. They are a little fragile, I think, I already had to put the spring back in the sliding part on one of them. https://www.nebotools.com/prod_details.php?id=212
1996 Isuzu Rodeo LS 5-speed 4wd 200K+ miles
a.k.a. "Kobayashi Maru" The No-Win Scenario
Lifted about 3" t-bar front, Calmini shackles and leaf helper spring as add-a-leaf rear,
265/75R/16 AT/M tires, police spotlight, HF off road lights, aux backup light, L.E.D. interior lights,
backup camera, dashcam (more cameras in the works) '97 Passport rear diff, Bluetooth stereo,
alarm and keyless entry, CB/PA, monster subwoofer, homemade cargo drawer, rear aux power

My very boring "build" thread: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=70620
Trail_Blazer71
Has a Trail Truck

Have thanks: 13 times

Postby AudioRedneck » Mon Nov 17, 2014 12:17 pm

Tactical, I mean (or I think my son, the paintball warrior, would mean)
- black matte finish, or close too it.
- very high strength
- designed to work with other other equipment (gun rail mounts, attachment points for connecting to other gear)
- high resistances to the elements (mud, snow, rain, etc)

Not looking for something with a laser built into it (he has one of those already anyway), but something that is truly rugged and functional. The only thing "out there" he mentioned was a strobe feature. As to brightness, the one he was looking at is supposed to be 900 lumins, which strikes me as pretty bright for a battery powered hand held light.

Of all my kids, this is the one that I don't mind buy expensive "life time" gear for because he takes really good care of things (better than I do) and took to heart my motto of leave it better than you found it. So, even if it seems ridiculous now, I'm sure in 30 years his teen will be drooling over the ridiculously cool flashlight Gramps gave Dad back in the day.
RIP Buster 1993-2014: 1993 Rodeo 4x4 ( ALMOST cut down in the prime of life by a little old lady and her insurance company)
3.2 V6 222,000+

AudioRedneck
Mud King

Postby AudioRedneck » Mon Nov 17, 2014 12:21 pm

He is also considering the Marines and is going to PT with the recruiter if that gives you any idea of his mindset.
3.2 V6 222,000+

AudioRedneck
Mud King

Postby mudoilngears » Mon Nov 17, 2014 1:09 pm

My brother has one of these I think. Great light output. Just make sure you get a good quality battery, and buy a spare one too.
http://www.nitecore.com/productDetail.a ... Gorjcl9jIU
1998 Rodeo LS 4x4 4JB1-TC Diesel Swap, more mods to come!

SOLD- :( 1990 Isuzu Amigo 4X4 4ZE1 engine. Front Aussie Locker, HD Sway Away T-bars,Smittybilt XRC8 winch.
Build in progress...
mudoilngears
Expedition Ready

Have thanks: 65 times

Postby TrooperJ2 » Mon Nov 17, 2014 11:16 pm

A few of my favorites:
Olight
http://olightworld.com/product_category/flashlight/
Surefire, of course, and Streamlight, which is what I carry at work. Those are popular because they're good. You generally get what you pay for, with them.

My personal weapon mounted pistol light is an Inforce 200 lumen APL, but they make rifle mounted lights up to I think 500 lumens, as well as really nice flashlights.

That little "skull crusher" tip on a lot of tactical flashlights is useful if you know how to use it 'tactically.' (I hate that word too.) For instance, if carrying a pistol and a light at the same time, I'm usually carrying high indexed, with my light above my head, shining down onto what I want to focus on. If I come into an encounter where my weapon is in jeopardy of being taken from me, say someone grabs it, that flashlight becomes a tool for weapon retention. It makes a great striking tool for the face, throat, pressure points around the neck and collar bone, as well as the brachial nerve.

But 99% of folks buy it cause it looks cool. Who am I to judge. God Bless America.
-J 8)
-1990 Trooper 2.8 5sp. "Dallas"
1.5" susp/1"BL, 10 bolt Aussie, 4.77's, 33x12.5 BFG AT on 15x8 steelies
-1997 Rodeo 3.2- Blown engine and sold for scrap
-1990 Trooper 2.8 5sp. SOLD
TrooperJ2
Mi Amigo

Have thanks: 14 times

Postby imamonstertruck » Tue Nov 18, 2014 10:24 am

I picked up the Streamlight ProTac 1L a few weeks ago and am very pleased with it.

Put me out $35 which is fantastic compared to the SureFire lights which were far more expensive. Puts out the same light, durable and weighted well.

cheers
-Ian :blackeye:
-91 Trooper, 3.4 V6, 5speed, 4.77 gears, 3:1 Revo T-Case Gears, HD tie rods, 3" body lift, 2" suspension lift, 1.5" diff drop, 33x10.5x15 BFG A/T,
Round Eye Swap (JDM marker lamps).

1989 Trooper RS http://forum.planetisuzoo.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=81642&p=722882#p722882

Previous Troopers and Build Thread->http://forum.planetisuzoo.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=63260

1988 ISUZU TROOPER WORKSHOP MANUAL

"There are only two days in the year that nothing can be done. One is called yesterday and the other is called tomorrow, so today is the right day to love, believe, do and mostly live."~ Dalai Lama

“Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not.”Dr.Suess

Aaronmcvay84 wrote:I think with isuzus there is a more mature crowd that realizes the value of their hard work. They keep things.
imamonstertruck
I am the Stig

Have thanks: 166 times

Postby superman27344 » Thu Nov 20, 2014 2:36 pm

These are the ones that I own. I am gonna list them in order of my favorite to least favorite, but I do like them all, after all, I haven't gotten rid of them. Also, I am considering these all to be "tactical" due to the material, brightness, and the fact that they all have a button on the tail cap.

1. Surefire 6p LED. Runs on two CR123A batteries.
2. INOVA X5. Runs on two CR123A batteries.
3. Streamlight Jr. LED. Runs on two AA batteries.
4. Streamlight Microstream LED. Runs on one AAA battery (I keep this one in my Altoids EDC Tin).

I have several other flashlights at the house, but those are the only ones that I consider tactical. The Mag flash lights I have had in the past were ok, but these others I listed seem to out perform them in my opinion.

Lou

2000 Trooper aka "Brawn", 3.5 liter V6, 5spd
1989 Trooper aka "The Armadillo", 2.6 liter, 5spd SOLD

Carolina Isuzu Owners Facebook Group

Brawn Build Thread

The Armadillo Build Thread

"It has been my experience that folks who have no vices have very few virtues."
-Abraham Lincoln

superman27344
Expedition Ready

Have thanks: 76 times

Postby Med!c » Mon Nov 24, 2014 4:05 pm

Not sure if this falls into the tactical category but I have a Zebralight SC600w and it's excellent!
00' Trooper 4x4- V6 3.5L
5-Speed Manual Aisin AR-5
Isuzu 12-Bolt Modified LSD
Isuzu 10-Bolt Aussie Locked
BGF AT T/A KO 285/75/16
Miss my old rodeo.

98-02 Isuzu Workshop Manual: Link
Med!c
I am the Stig

Have thanks: 86 times

Postby archmckinnon » Tue Dec 09, 2014 8:23 pm

I paid $4.00 for this one in 1993. When it gets a little dim I just smack it around a little and it brightens up.

Arch
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Arch McKinnon

Somewhere West of North.

Song singer, Story teller, Slayer of Dragon's, killer of Time, Enemy of any Man who has a good Lookin Woman, Outdoorsman, and I like Chilli.

1989 Isuzu Trooper LS- Original Owner

1989 Isuzu Trooper RS- former Proud Owner- sold to a Great Home!

Voted October 2015 Ride of the Month
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=61211

We shall not cease from exploration, and the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started and know the place for the first time. T. S. Eliot
archmckinnon
Trail Master

Have thanks: 25 times

Postby superman27344 » Tue Dec 09, 2014 8:29 pm

[quote="archmckinnon"] I just smack it around a little and it brightens up.[/quote]

I know a few people like that too, lol.

Lou

2000 Trooper aka "Brawn", 3.5 liter V6, 5spd
1989 Trooper aka "The Armadillo", 2.6 liter, 5spd SOLD

Carolina Isuzu Owners Facebook Group

Brawn Build Thread

The Armadillo Build Thread

"It has been my experience that folks who have no vices have very few virtues."
-Abraham Lincoln

superman27344
Expedition Ready

Have thanks: 76 times

Postby archmckinnon » Fri Dec 19, 2014 12:38 am

Actually I use this little flashlight. It's a streamlight stylus Pro. You recharge it via a USB cable. Either plug it into the wall or computer.

Not real expensive but built to last.

Arch
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Arch McKinnon

Somewhere West of North.

Song singer, Story teller, Slayer of Dragon's, killer of Time, Enemy of any Man who has a good Lookin Woman, Outdoorsman, and I like Chilli.

We shall not cease from exploration, and the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started and know the place for the first time. T. S. Eliot
archmckinnon
Trail Master

Postby TrooperJ2 » Fri Dec 26, 2014 11:37 pm

Went to a camping/outdoors store in Smyrna, GA called Going Gear. They had a big box of nice lights- Olight, Jetbeam, SunWayman, etc... They were loose lights, most didn't have boxes, most were customer returns or debt and scratch, all marked 30-70% off. I found a 1950 lumen JetBeam RRT3 in the original box. I looked and they wanted 279.99 for it new in box. I left out with the light, 3 3.6v 18650 rechargeable batteries ($15 per!!!) and a $25 charger for $148! Best deal I've gotten in a while.

Took it outside and lit up the back yard like I turned on the sun. It's an awesome light. I plan on trying to make up a little holder to mount it in the Trooper.
-J 8)
-1990 Trooper 2.8 5sp. "Dallas"
1.5" susp/1"BL, 10 bolt Aussie, 4.77's, 33x12.5 BFG AT on 15x8 steelies
-1997 Rodeo 3.2- Blown engine and sold for scrap
-1990 Trooper 2.8 5sp. SOLD
TrooperJ2
Mi Amigo

Have thanks: 14 times

Postby archmckinnon » Thu Sep 17, 2015 7:17 am

Bought a 6 d cell Maglite. I walk my dogs every morning at around 5 am and really don't know the neiborhood. Although it's a nice area there are a few pockets of sketchy homes(Houston Heights)

I had a few nice lights but decided to do a few mods on the Maglight to have in need of defense.

If you haven't seen a 6 cell Maglite before its best described as an aluminum baseball bat!

Arch
Arch McKinnon

Somewhere West of North.

archmckinnon
Trail Master

Postby archmckinnon » Thu Sep 17, 2015 7:36 am

The metamorphosis started last weekend when I attended a local gun show. I found a guy who had a lot of old stuff and in one of the boxes were 2 old Maglites he was selling for parts. What caught my eye was both lights had Niteize rubber Grip Shields added. Those things have been discontinued years ago and are as rare as an Isuzu Trooper RS.

I paid the guy 15 bucks for both and started thinking how I could take these old lights and modify them to accessorize them to my 6 cell.

Here is what I've completed so far.

Arch
Arch McKinnon

Somewhere West of North.

archmckinnon
Trail Master

Postby archmckinnon » Thu Sep 17, 2015 7:52 am

I gutted both lights to keep the good parts and just have the hollow tubes and end caps. What I decided to do was take two end caps and a partial piece of one of the aluminum tubes and attach them together.

The caps are interchangable and it would attach to my 6 cell with no problem. And with both being male ends the tube modification would attach to the other.

I had thought of connecting the caps with some type of adhesive but decided I'd rather drill holes in the center of both and use a stainless steel nut and bolt. To keek the 6 cell waterproof I would fill the end cap that attached to the light with silicone.

I cut a 3 inch section off one of the tubes leaving the threaded end to to attach back to one of the caps.

I used my Dremmel tool with a cutting wheel to cut the tube. I then wrapped the cut piece with tape to design the modifications.
Arch McKinnon

Somewhere West of North.

archmckinnon
Trail Master

Postby archmckinnon » Thu Sep 17, 2015 8:01 am

After cutting the end tube I used a file to clean the aluminum cuts and making the sharp edges off. Folding also allowed me to shape the final end.
I drilled the center of both so I could attach them together with a nut and bolt. Between the two ends I placed a large body washer I had from one of my Troopers just to add a little wrinkle to the mod,

After assembling the end pieces together and sealing bolt with silicone I used some rattle can bed liner spray paint I had.

I think this should do the trick!

Arch
Arch McKinnon

Somewhere West of North.

archmckinnon
Trail Master

Postby archmckinnon » Thu Sep 17, 2015 8:05 am

This morning I installed it to my 6 cell to see how it carried.

What do you think?

Arch
Arch McKinnon

Somewhere West of North.

archmckinnon
Trail Master

Postby N law » Fri Sep 18, 2015 10:01 am

That's a helluva mag lite! I had a 6 cell as a kid that was mediocre with the exception of being heavy. I'm sure that with the modern technology with batteries and LEDs, they have improved a lot!

The flashlight that I have been using a lot lately have been the Ultrafire Mini Cree 7w 300lm thing that I found on Amazon for $3-4. Amazon recommends products to you and when it came across my feed, I saw the $3 and some change price and snagged a couple for me and my nephews. They took the slow boat, but when they showed up, they take 1 AA and HOLY HELL ARE THEY BRIGHT! Its the perfect size (like a roll of quarters), not heavy at all, very bright. I made a second order just to leave them around the shop, garage, various vehicles, etc. The second order was closer to $4 each, but this time I included a couple lithium-ion rechargeable batteries (3.7 volts). Again, I chose the least expensive option and they took the slow boat. I charged up those 3.7v AAs and the things were even brighter. I have been very impressed with the little things and have given away a handful to friends and family because they are so awesome and only a couple bucks. I highly recommend them for what they are. They are way better than the Free Flashlight from HF.

http://www.amazon.com/UltraFire®-modes-Flashlight-300LM-Adjustable/dp/B00CU546JO/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1442584007&sr=8-5&keywords=Mini+Cree

with batteries and charger:
http://www.amazon.com/Flashlight-Torch- ... =Mini+Cree

For that matter, the batteries are amazing. Taking a 1.5v battery and doubling (plus some) the output really turbos anything that you put them in. I dropped them in a little toy car with a motor and I almost didn't catch it. You do have to watch what you put them in, because they will start to get a little hot.
99 VX
96 Rodeo Build thread
1975 FJ40
69 Beetle
84 Westfalia
70 VW bus turned camper
86 VW Diesel Golf
07 Frontier V6 6 speed
1999 4Runner Limitee- wife's
2004 Genuine Stella Scooter
N law
Almost Joe Isuzu

Have thanks: 63 times

Postby slainer » Fri Sep 18, 2015 8:00 pm

I got a few of thoughts lights also and they are great.
slainer
Trail Master

Have thanks: 28 times

Postby itsmehb » Sat Sep 19, 2015 8:22 am

archmckinnon wrote:Bought a 6 d cell Maglite. I walk my dogs every morning at around 5 am and really don't know the neiborhood. Although it's a nice area there are a few pockets of sketchy homes(Houston Heights)

I had a few nice lights but decided to do a few mods on the Maglight to have in need of defense.

If you haven't seen a 6 cell Maglite before its best described as an aluminum baseball bat!

Arch,
Did you move to Houston? I know you went there to help a friend open a dealership, but thought it was temporary.Yikes, did we lose a cowboys fan? As to mag lights, nice job, hope you never have to use it on someone's head. I can attest to the durability of mag lights. They've been around for 35 years. I had to carry a flashlight on my hip for my whole career. Before mag lights I would have to replace them pretty regular. The last 15 years of my career I went through just 2 mag lights. The first one had a switch failure I couldn't fix. The last one is still operational and as you can see it has all the black paint worn off it. It survived many drops off engine stands onto concrete floors. I always used halogen bulbs in mine. The tape around the switch was to keep water away from the switch which I think was a factor in the first light failure.....................Harry Even the knurling on the barrel is worn smooth.

Arch
1990 Amigo, 2.3 5 speed (sold)
1991 Pick up (long gone)
2000 Amigo, 2.2 5 speed(sold)
1985 Trooper 1.9 4 speed (sent back to KS)
1989 Trooper RS 2.6 5 spd. Red

We get too soon old and too late smart!
itsmehb
I am the Stig

Have thanks: 210 times

Postby archmckinnon » Sat Sep 19, 2015 9:20 am

Harry

My stay in Houston has been extended longer than I thought it would. Houston isn't that bad.

Here is another pic of my "BATTLEIGHT"
Arch McKinnon

Somewhere West of North.

archmckinnon
Trail Master

Postby Hatfield » Wed Sep 30, 2015 2:02 pm

AudioRedneck wrote:My son is wanting a tactical flashlight for Christmas. If you have a notable favorite, please comment.

My son is currently looking at this one:
http://www.amazon.com/Fenix-PD35-Flashl ... 6195800790

My favorites are my 25 year old Mag-lights (2-AA and 3 D-Cell), a Smith & Wesson Dual 9 LED/Xenon, and a host of little 3-AAA pocket LED flashlights I keep in the vehicles and tool boxes.

I have several Fenix lights (2-3 PD35s). They are great lights, never had a problem with any. Every friend I show the light is amazed by the output of such a small device. On high, they will eat batteries and get hot quickly, but boy is it bright. Highly recommend.
2000 Trooper - AR5 swap, 4.77s w Aussie & ARB, TeraLows, 285/75 Goodyear MTRs,
Indy4x bumper, OME lift with N85 shocks, 1" BL, TG sliders, M8000, 20" LED, dents

1999 Trooper - parts car or future crawler
2007 Acura TL Type S - the daily
1995 Nissan 240sx - the racecar
Hatfield
Zu Royalty

Have thanks: 24 times

Postby N law » Wed Sep 30, 2015 3:16 pm

Holy Cow!!! $72 on amazon for a flashlight!!! That is crazy. I paid $3.55 plus free shipping for the ultra fire mini Cree lights. Similarly, they are hella bright and gobble down batteries while warming up, but its a heck of a lot easier to justify a handful at <$4 each!
99 VX
96 Rodeo Build thread
1975 FJ40
69 Beetle
84 Westfalia
70 VW bus turned camper
86 VW Diesel Golf
07 Frontier V6 6 speed
1999 4Runner Limitee- wife's
2004 Genuine Stella Scooter
N law
Almost Joe Isuzu