Expo and camping tools and toys.

This forum is for the discussion of outdoor activities, other than trail rides

Moderator: Staff

Re: Expo and camping tools and toys.

Postby squatch » Thu Aug 11, 2016 3:09 pm

My Emberlit stove.

I've been carrying this thing around for a while now and had not used it yet. I remedied that on my recent river trip.

I kinda cheated as I cut some skinny pieces of dry oak to take with me instead of using twigs. Built a fire in it and let it burn down a little. Very easy.

Once the stuff added through the top burnt down on went the frozen beans we put up last summer.

We cooked the burgers over the fire.

The beans were cooked and hot in no time. Once the pot was off and the thing left unattended the fire went out quickly. It's a small space in there so the wood has to be fed in fairly often. Once lit it burns well as long as kept stoked. Stop stoking and it goes out. Overall I think it's a great option or back up on the river or any trip. It works anywhere you have twigs or small dry wood.
These links have write-ups and pics of most anything you ever will do on a 2.6 Isuzu. Engine, brakes, suspension, interior, you name it! Enjoy!
Original '88 Trooper frame off build.
viewtopic.php?t=12172
The continuing Trooper project.
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=43909
My '88 Spacecab build. In progress.
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=56442
squatch
I am the Stig

Have thanks: 326 times

Sponsor

Postby squatch » Thu Aug 11, 2016 3:30 pm

And a follow up on my Tent Cot's.
I realized I've had these over 4 years now. I figured I'd do a follow up.

I've have 2 of these. The original and the newer XL(oversized) size. I normally use the XL for the room. The original has more screen area and packs slightly smaller. So it gets the nod in really hot weather or when space is tight like the solo canoe.

The couple of times I had moisture issues It was related to leaving the thing open when the dew settled. Once I learned how to deal with this it has been a non issue as has any real condensation problems.

I have 3 friends that I camp with who have bought one. All are pleased and like myself it has become their go to when not using a camper.

The only issues I've seen among all of them have been the above mentioned cracked pole and 1 friend has a rivet pull out of one of the plastic leg supports. it was and easy fix with a bolt.

I have now used mine from VT to NC and out in the midwest. I had it in the mountains at freezing temps with strong winds and I've slept through a couple of storms in mine. Same on the other end at near 100* temps. I've used in several times for week long trips in campgrounds surrounded by RV's. It's been to URE twice at least now.

The big tent has only been used once for a family trip since I got this. It is my "go to" and gets used fairly often. If something happened to it at this point I'd buy another tomorrow.

Some pics from recent trip.
The original it was hot.

They've been used in this spot a lot since bought.
These links have write-ups and pics of most anything you ever will do on a 2.6 Isuzu. Engine, brakes, suspension, interior, you name it! Enjoy!
viewtopic.php?t=12172
squatch
I am the Stig

Postby squatch » Sat Oct 22, 2016 4:57 pm

This should be a nice contrast to my above stove post. Wood fueled backpacker stove and now my new propane campfire! I might be a little backwards. :lol:

Anyway I picked up a Camco Little Red Campfire. Our truck camper has 2 10lb propane bottles as opposed to the normal 20lb'er. The camper can run the stove and the furnace for weeks on one of them. So that leaves the other for this. The idea is for quickly setup or campgrounds that don't allow wood fires or during burn bans. I like a wood campfire! But I can see times when this might be fun and handy.

It came in today so I thought I'd try it for a few. It's very windy today. Like 35-45 mph gusts and chilly.

The Campfire and one of my tanks.

Set up.

I also bought the optional cooking grid. It's for pots not meat on the grate.

Couple of fire pics. I didn't burn it long. just set it up, checked for leaks, lit it and took some pics. Pics were hard to get between daylight and the wind. I did feel some heat off the fire as well.

viewtopic.php?t=12172
squatch
I am the Stig

Previous

Return to Outdoor Life