Isuzu SUV Forum banner

Thinkin' about buying a gun.

4K views 20 replies 8 participants last post by  ZachTheSac 
#1 ·
I want to get a gun before they're outlawed but I'm not overly sure on what to get. I know a little bit about them but I don't know what's good and what to stay away from.

I don't hunt, I'm not against it, I just have a tough time killing things and I don't plan on shooting anything up. I just want one to have and take to a range everyone once in a while.

I want a handgun, but I'm not 21 so that creates a problem, but I would like to get a rifle first. What would be a good type to get just to take to a range every once in a while?

#2 ·
You will get a ton of opinions but if you go and get yourself a nice used Ruger 10/22 and a couple of extra magazines you will have 1 gun that you could do the most with no matter what.

http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/index.php

#3 ·
I'd agree on the 22 being a good choice for your first gun.

Always treat it as it's loaded.

Don't even put your finger inside the trigger guard till you are on your target.

And know what's behind your intended target.

Other than that, have someone show you the proper way to clean it, from breech to muzzle.

My two cents.

Joe

#4 ·
A lot of folks will also tell you to go for a .22 rifle of some sort due to cost right now. The rising cost of ammunition makes the .22 a cost effective shooter as well. You could go for a larger rifle, but spending almost $1 +/- a bullet afterward kind of sucks. But, your local Wally Mart will have a bulk pack of .22lr for around $14 for 550 rounds.

Agreed on the Ruger 10/22 as well. But, if you're looking for a hand gun, there's a lot of options in the .22 field that are not that much money. A lot of it going to be opinion, so go to your local range and rent out a couple to see what gets you all warm and fuzzy when you shoot it.

I personally have a Ruger MKII 22/45. It's a good shooter, hasn't given me any real problems. I also have a "best of both worlds" gun as well from Ruger. I have a Ruger Charger with a few mods. The Ruger Charger is based off the regular 10/22 platform but is labeled as a pistol because of barrel length. Anything that will go on a regular 10/22 rifle will work with a Charger because the only difference between them is a shorter barrel, and shorter stock with a pistol grip.

Search around and see what's out there! DREDnot posted a link to RFC which is a very good resource for any .22 out there.

#5 ·
Have to agree with the 10/22. I love mine which was completly factory stock since 1978 until last year. Done a few mods on it and its even better now. I also have a Remington pump action .22 and a Ruger single six .22 lr/mag revolver. The price of ammo is the big reason a lot of ppl have at least 1 .22, cant complain about $14 for 550 shots.

I love my Ruger KP944 .40 S&W pistol but gets expensive. Cheapest ammo is $14 for 50 rounds at walmart. I will probably get a Ruger KP95 9mm sometime this year, ammo is a bit cheaper then .40 cal.

As you can tell I love Rugers. Hard to beat them for the price and they are tanks, not always pretty but always work. Some need some break in time before working reliably though.

A couple weeks ago Mike (protetype) and I went to the mountains for a shooting day. Had 3 .22 rifles, a charger, 2 .22 pistols, and a .40 pistol for the 2 of us LOL.

#10 ·
Ammo from walmart...

Federal bulk 550 rounds .22 - $14
Blazer brass 50 rounds 9mm ~ $9-10
Blazer brass 50 rounds .40 ~ $13-14

On our fun shooting day Mike went through about 1100-1200 rds of .22 for $28, I went through 200 rds of reloaded .40 I bought which comes to about $54 (bought 500 rds for $135) and probably about 500 rds of .22

Also, as far as I know, you dont have to be 21 to buy .22 long rifle ammo since its considered rifle ammo even though many pistols also use it. Handgun ammo you have to be 21 to buy. At least thats the way it is here, not sure if thats just local laws or federal.

#12 ·
I wouldnt recommend it for a first handgun. Double action (heavy trigger pull) and 3" barrel with .45 or 410 (tons of recoil). Start with something smaller and cheaper to shoot and learn with it then move up. 410 shells are cheap but in a 3" barrel revolver they're only good at very close range and alot of ranges wont let you shoot shotguns because of the spread which The Judge does way more then a standard shotgun.

If I wanted something to play with at the range maybe a 223 lots of cheap surplus ammo.
At one time maybe, not now. Between a war going on using up alot of .223 and everyone stock piling ammo now that Obama bin Lyin has been elected its hard to find ANY .223, let alone cheap surplus. Pretty much all ammo is getting hard to find unless you happen to get there when they are stocking the shelves. I looked at Georgia Arms where I bought some bulk ammo from before. A tin of 500 rds of .40 S&W is $135, a tin of 500 rds of .223 is $240.

#14 ·
the old ruger wheel guns are bullet proof, and a 22 ,again, is probably anyone's best bet for a first gun.

#15 ·
the old ruger wheel guns are bullet proof, and a 22 ,again, is probably anyone's best bet for a first gun.
Thats what I learned with, till dad eventually got the 10/22 and pump action .22. Dad bought the one I have now new in 1963, has had tons of ammo through it and couldnt kill the thing. Until ruger did the "safety upgrade" which worked fine for a while but now something is wrong with it. Just one more gun to tear apart and fix lol.

All this gun talk makes me want to share this video.
Thanks for that, says it all.

The part with the blond woman shooting the rifle is funny. Thats how I felt shooting Mikes 30-06 the first time haha. Were shooting from a bench so couldnt really hold it right and its the first time I'd shot a rifle that powerful.

#17 ·
Good choice. Hard to go wrong with a 10/22 and you can do a huge amount of things to customize it the way you want. They are pretty much the Jeep of the gun world, you can build a complete one anyway you want from aftermarket parts.

If you get it you may have a few problems at first till it gets run in such as jams, stove pipes, fail to feed, etc. Usually they need about 500 rds through them before they start working reliably. If there is still a problem usually a $10 volquartzen extractor fixes it. Mikes new charger still has some jam problems. We havent figured out yet if its the aftermarket magazines or the extractor yet.

Mine is a standard carbine.

Here's what I've done to it in the last year...
Volquartzen extractor
bolt lock mod
installed a Tuffer Buffer
installed a Power Customs hammer
installed extended magazine release
polish trigger return spring plunger
Power Custom weaver style scope rail
Weaver steel scope rings
Centerpoint 3-9x32 scope
glass bed receiver
glass bed barrel
make and install custom brass bedding pillar
refinish stock with Tru-Oil

#20 ·
ZachTheSac said:
Is it pretty hard to work on or easy?
Very easy to work on. One screw to remove the reciever, barrel, and action from the stock. Then 2 pins to remove the action from the reciever. The hardest thing to take down is removing the bolt for cleaning or whatever but its not difficult, just takes patience. I was nervous the first time I took apart everything in the trigger group but after the first time its a snap. Mike (protetype) even did it on his Ruger charger to do the bolt release mod and had never worked on one before in his life. The charger is a short barreled pistol grip 10/22, has the same reciever, bolt, and trigger group.

what about polar bears.....
They do when the can actually find something resembling a tree LOL.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.