Isuzu SUV Forum banner

Glaser Blue Safety Slug

4K views 8 replies 9 participants last post by  dj_rob_e 
#1 ·
Anyone ever use Glaser Blue Safety Slugs?

I just came across these rounds and they seem neat!

From web site:
Stopping power is maximized by the complete dispersal of the bullet energy into the intended target with immediate shock and trauma.

This rapid fragmentation delivers the energy to a large area. Reduced recoil allows a fast recovery for follow up shots if necessary. This makes Glaser the best choice for defensive situations.
Glaser Blue penetrates five to seven inches in International Ballistic Wound Association protocol testing, while silver penetrates eight to ten inches in the IWBA testing protocol.

Blue is suggested for warmer climates where apparel is lighter making penetration easier.

I think I would go with the silver to get a little more bang.
I'm sure local law enforcement would rather me carry these Glaser rounds than the 115GR FMJ's I have now.

I usually carry 123GR +P Jacketed Hollow Points but I used them up on the Halloween pumpkins.

I would like to see what these Glaser Safety Slugs do to pumpkins and heads, You know... everyday targets.

See less See more
#3 ·
Dont think it really matters. If someone shoots me with a .45 I'm pretty sure I'm going to stop what I was doing LOL.

I have Federal HydraShocks loaded in my .40 for home defense. No idea what they do when they hit but they look pretty wicked. Read a lot of posts about ppl using them for defense so I picked some up.

#4 ·
Gizmo42 said:
Dont think it really matters. If someone shoots me with a .45 I'm pretty sure I'm going to stop what I was doing LOL.

I have Federal HydraShocks loaded in my .40 for home defense. No idea what they do when they hit but they look pretty wicked. Read a lot of posts about ppl using them for defense so I picked some up.
I ran some Federal HydraShocks through a Glock 23 .40cal. Shooting at a cantelope, it made an entry hold a bit bigger than a dime. The entire back HALF of the melon was gone though....turned to oatmeal. I think they will work fine for you. :wink:

#5 ·
Hydra-Shoks a good bullet. Used to be our issued duty round, so i got LOTS of 'em in .40. Like most hollow-points though, they don't expand worth a crap if they go through drywall or wood first. Fills cavity and acts like a round nose. Dont penetrate cars from the back very well. Blow the hell out of a wounded deer though! Take top of head clean off.
I believe the stats were nearly double the one shot kills with the .40 hydra-shok over the leadnose hollow point .357 used before it.
The Glasers have been out for a long time now. The best selling point was to prevent over-penetration. Bullet supposed to deliver all its shock power on intial impact and break up. Big entry hole, nothing out back. I don't recall what it does to drywall. Never seen one used. Would be a good thing to think about inside your house though.

#7 ·
The top two rounds in my Sig magazine are blue Glasers. I figure if two trunk shots with Glasers don't put them down, it's time to get "serious". So, the rest of the magazine is Ranger +Ps. Not that I should need them all. two to the chest and one to the head will stop most encounters fairly quickly.

I shot a watermelon one time with a blue Glaser just for grins and giggles. I hit it end on from about 30 feet. It blew it apart completely. The biggest piece we could find was just a bit bigger than a silver dollar. Yeah, I know shooting a watermelon is not a good comparison for tissue penetration. It was fun, though.

#8 ·
The Glasers are very good for a home defense. Regarding the Hydra Shock, I've always had excellent expansion with various pistols and revolvers. I've never had a .40 so I don't know about it. The Winchester Black Talon was fine (arguably the best) and its replacement, “Ranger SXTâ€

#9 ·
i think regardless of what i'm chunkin' out the end of my .45 if i make contact with say just two rounds even.... and him/her/it is still coming/hell even moving much i'm thinking it's time for me to start getting thinking about getting the hell out of there.....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.