Isuzu SUV Forum banner

Remington 7600

3K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  goatman 
#1 ·
ok I got bet up pretty bad by you guys for hunting whitetail&hogs with my 338.So I picked up a marlin xl-7 in 270. Great gun light weight ,well made on the money.But!!! after several trips on my stomach in the thickets tracking hogs I'm going to a 30-06 in a Remington 7600 will this be wise. I know the auto 7400 is junk but I want that 2nd shot.

#2 ·
When you see the cost of 30-06 rounds you'll stick with one shot LOL.

Remington makes good rifles. I have an issue with them after trying to get my model 572 pump .22 fixed though. Needed some parts replaced on the bolt and sent it in, they sent it back saying its an old model and parts arent available, but I can send the whole rifle and they will replace it with a new model for $413 (full price). I realize its 47 yrs old, but I can get every part from Ruger for my old model single six .22 which is only 2 yrs newer. And if they dont have the part they will make it.

#3 ·
Well the 338s about 54.00 for a box of 20. It also puts a hole the size of a coffee can threw a deer at close range but theres not alot of tracking :lol:The 270 just don't do it on the hogs.

#4 ·
270 win equals 27-06.

A whitetail or hog will never notice between .270 & .308, if you pick the right type of bullet for the job.

I'm kinda confused, you know the Marlin holds 5 shots, same as the Remington, right? You not gaining a second shot. Dumping the 338wm is a smart move, more an elk or bigger gun.

#5 ·
maxwell417 said:
270 win equals 27-06.

A whitetail or hog will never notice between .270 & .308, if you pick the right type of bullet for the job.

I'm kinda confused, you know the Marlin holds 5 shots, same as the Remington, right? You not gaining a second shot. Dumping the 338wm is a smart move, more an elk or bigger gun.
he was referring to follow up shots from a semi auto.

#7 ·
The 270 just don't do it on the hogs.
Were do you shoot the hogs at? Lately Ive been hunting hogs with a 22-250, and they drop like a rock with a shot to the head. Never had any problems shooting hogs with our 270, or 243 either.

#8 ·
I'm hunting real thick cover older clear cuts but some long shots on the roads.It makes for some hard recovery if they travel far. The 270 has the range but it doesn't have the knock down power.The 270 really is just a neck down 30.06 anyway.The bigger bullet should give me better stopping power. Also the area that I hunt was stocked with true russian hogs years ago.If you hunt hogs you know it takes alot more to stop one of these than a feral or barnyard hog.My luck with semi-autos hasn't been good so I was thinking the slide action would give me that quick two or three shots.If you are in a thicket you want to put that hog on the ground as fast as possible.As for the trigger that don't sound good and from what i've read your stuck with it.

#9 ·
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=582091&id=501447969
My first Hog...

Taken with a 12" Blade, Jessup GA. Bay dogs find him, Catch Dog holds him, brother in law gets his rear legs and catch dog is released. Blade stuck in behind shoulder blade and then puled up and down. Pig is down quicker than any other method. I carry a .45 with 265gr chunks in case one gets awnry. Hand loads of course.

We have seen that with rifles that sometimes when shot through the breast plate that the holes close up, effectively sealing the wounds, prolonging the kill. Most people are clueless as to how hard and thick the breast plate is.

Discovery has a great show called "PIG BOMB". Youtube it, its great and really informative.

By the way the sausage is great!

#10 ·
Have you concidered the 7mm Remington mag. Ammo's not too bad $$ Good shock factor as most rounds are around 3000 ft/sec muzzel. Its got the weight to carry energy for those long shots. IMHO I like it! :)

#11 ·
I picked up a nice 300 Weatherby Mag for a song ammo isn't to cheap but got a good deal.Also looking at buying a slug barrel for my 535 mossberg so there is my two quick shots if my shoulder don't break :lol:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.