Can anyone guess what this rifle is?

Or how about this one...

See less See more
#2 ·
Mossberg .22/.410 O/U
Marlin mag fed .22

Guessing off the top of my head

#4 ·
1st one drednot had it right but these particular models were made by savage/stevens or sears roebuck (marketing name). I believe mossberg also made a model similar to these as well but the receiver was a bit different. Ive worked on alot of these guns (savage .22/410s) and most of them develop a problem with the ejector going out of time. Yours probably dosent have this problem though opelfrontera because they slightly changed the design in relatively recent models. If you look closely at the pics you can tell its probably a recent model because the barrel release lever is on the side of the receiver unilke the earlier models (pre circa 1975) that have the lever on the top like a regular double barrel shotgun. These guns were also made in 20ga/.22, 16ga/.22, and 12ga/.22. Recently If I remember .22mag has also been offered recently. Some of the REALLY early models came in calibers like 12ga/.25-20 and 12ga/32-20.

The second one is an easy one. Gizmo you were on the right track with the 10-22 but the rifle is actually a ruger model .44 mag carbine. Designed off of the sme action as the 10/22 but made for .44 mag. 8) These were pretty popular in the late 70s and 80s just after the .44 S&W craze but faded out of popularity during the 90s and later on. They are very well built guns and are a blast to shoot. But with the price of .44 factory loads today you almost have to be into reloading to make it econimcal to plink with. Was a very popular caliber rifle for white tales and mulies too. Usually you see them in pretty used condition tucked away in the corners of the gun shops just waiting for someone who recognizes them to come along. Yours opelfrontera looks mint. Nice stock on it too. 8)

#5 ·
Couple of nice pieces there. I especialy like the Ruger. Please get some muffs though. Trust me on that one. As 40 creeps up, everyone starts to sound like Charlie Brown's teacher if they aren't speaking directly AT you.

#6 ·
m-79_grenadier said:
1st one drednot had it right but these particular models were made by savage/stevens or sears roebuck (marketing name). I believe mossberg also made a model similar to these as well but the receiver was a bit different. Ive worked on alot of these guns (savage .22/410s) and most of them develop a problem with the ejector going out of time. Yours probably dosent have this problem though opelfrontera because they slightly changed the design in relatively recent models. If you look closely at the pics you can tell its probably a recent model because the barrel release lever is on the side of the receiver unilke the earlier models (pre circa 1975) that have the lever on the top like a regular double barrel shotgun. These guns were also made in 20ga/.22, 16ga/.22, and 12ga/.22. Recently If I remember .22mag has also been offered recently. Some of the REALLY early models came in calibers like 12ga/.25-20 and 12ga/32-20.

The second one is an easy one. Gizmo you were on the right track with the 10-22 but the rifle is actually a ruger model .44 mag carbine. Designed off of the sme action as the 10/22 but made for .44 mag. 8) These were pretty popular in the late 70s and 80s just after the .44 S&W craze but faded out of popularity during the 90s and later on. They are very well built guns and are a blast to shoot. But with the price of .44 factory loads today you almost have to be into reloading to make it econimcal to plink with. Was a very popular caliber rifle for white tales and mulies too. Usually you see them in pretty used condition tucked away in the corners of the gun shops just waiting for someone who recognizes them to come along. Yours opelfrontera looks mint. Nice stock on it too. 8)
Dang M-79 Grenadier! You are an online gun digest!
I didn't even know Ruger made a .44 carbine! I googled it and sure enough, looks Just like a 10/22.
I can see how my photo would have been misleading...

At this angle it hard to determine the girth of the barrel. It looks rather large, like a bull barrel or a .44 mag barrel!

This is a Ruger .44 mag image borrowed from google.

I just have the 10/22. Wish it were the .44 though!

... The first is a Savage 22/410 model 24S-A .
My dad bought that for me at a pawn shop in South Carolina in 1993 for $150. It was neglected, the bluing was pitted and worn off.
I re- did the furniture and tried to fix the ejection mechanism. It Never would eject the shells, I have to manually remove them..
The Savage is a very impressive firing gun. I have been able to consistently nail a 20oz coke bottle at 100 yards with the .22. I was even able to land a 410 slug in the kill zone of a paper target at 100 yards. Not to mention all of the squirrels and blue jays I've slayed with it!

The Ruger 10/22 on the other hand needs some sighting in.
I'm going to come up with some rings and mount my Bushnell 3x-9x 38mm scope on it along with other things, the aftermarket support for the 10//22 is huge!

:D :D :D

#7 ·
I never knew Ruger made a .44 mag carbine either. Your 10/22 looks identical. Even the same stock design. I have the basic 10/22 carbine with barrel band so my stock is way different.

10/22s are the Jeeps of the gun world. You can build a complete on any way you want from just after market parts.

#8 ·
Opelfrontera said:

At this angle it hard to determine the girth of the barrel. It looks rather large, like a bull barrel or a .44 mag barrel!
Lol thats really what fooled me hehe. I as leaningon the 10-22 at first until I noticed the monte carlo stock and the large drop in the stock underneath the ejection port. Couldnt really judge the size of the ejection port though so I put my money on the .44. 8) Also,some of the earlier .44 carbines came with a stock identical to the run of the mill 10-22s with the barrel band and stamped steel but plate. Also unlike the 10-22s the .44s came with a tubular mag.

Opelfrontera, the ejector on those guns relies on a friction lever underneath the barrel that stays spring loaded until the barrel is fully pivoted downwards and it is released triggernig the ejectors. This little lever has the end bent to the side (on purpose) and the end of the bent piece needs enough spring tension behind it to keep enough fricton on it to hold it there until the barrel trips it off. You should see it on the underside of the barrel, and sometimes the end of it can get worn out over time and I will usually re-bend it and most of the time that works. But dont bend it too much or it will jam up when you close the barrel.

Speaking of 10-22s this is making me want to start building mine. Im probably going to go with a full synthetic stock but the main thing will be the AWC systems inc. fully integral suppressor. I had a buddy with one of those on his stock 10-22 and man that thing was quiet. When he let me shoot it I took my muffs off and pulled the trigger. Click. WTF? Missfire? Pulled the bolt back a bit and looked. Nope. :shock: Man that thing was fun! 8)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.