Isuzu SUV Forum banner

my toys - updated!

4K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  protetype 
#1 ·
Here's what I currently own...

From top to bottom is

J. C. Higgins [Sears&Roebuck] 583.14 16 Gauge Shotgun
There was a recall on this, but I think I may have it checked out officially making sure all it does is hold the wall up.

Springfield Armory Model 1903 MKI 30_06
This gun has been sporterized, and has a glass bedded stock.

Hawthorne Warrior M820B .22LR
Found out it was sold through Wards, and has Mossberg parts.

See less See more
#2 ·
The recall of the JC Higgins/mossberg bolt action shotguns was because of the tube mag design. If the sear interupter was worn enough to let you drop the hammer before the bolt was fully closed (none of these shotguns have positive locking bolts) and the shell blew the bolt back the it was actually possible for the lifter to graze the primer of the next shell in the tube on the way up with enough force to set it off and cause a chain fire in the mag tube. This is why you see all of the later mossberg/higgins bolt action shotguns went to the box/vertical mag type.

I put several hundred rounds throug mine with no ill effect but I never liked the thing lol. Was always too akward to me to hold and try to manipulate that bulky bolt when you step on a covey and they explode out all around hehe. Eventually I pulled the barrel off and rethreaded it to fit my stevens model 67 (believe its that model) so I could have both a long and short barrel.

I dig the 03 though. 8) Those actions are pretty slick. I mostly am partial to original setups on 03s but they do make nices actions to build of of. What type of eyepiece are you using?

#5 ·
The '03 is a fun rifle, especially being glass bedded it doesn't kick for crap. But at $1+ a round... no thanks. I finally got to shoot the .22 on Sunday... it was a blast until Dave (gizmo) shot the rod for the tube feed halfway down the firing lane while trying to load it. lol. I got him back though.. as his scope fell off his rifle while I was shooting it. We didn't officially break anything, but stupid things happened while we were using each others rifles. lol.

#6 ·
Surplus 30-06 still isnt too bad but if you are going to get some you may want to get it fast before it all drys up. Last lot I bought from sportsmans warehouse (they dont have those deals anymore) was 280 rnds for about $150 bucks. That was aready garand clips and bandoleers too so I didnt need to load them just grab a bandolier and the m1 and hit the drit roads.

About the best deal you can find on 06 is about .60 cents a round now. I just bought a case of this stuff because my bandoliered stuff has alomst run out. http://gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.a ... =116705102

I actually buy all of my military calibers in bulk/surplus. It saves on indiviual rounds and most of the time it comes sealed in military spam cans so you can stash it safe in case you want to save it for if you "really" need it. Lol Ive got one mauser and probably about 2500 rnds of 8mm. Bought it back when it was cheap, and now the same stuff is three times the price.

#7 ·
Only problem with ordering ammo is the shippings so high. Got a bunch of old surplus '06 and 7.62x54R, but its gota be a full on shoot fest to get it out. Gota shoot enough to justify tearing it all down. Old corrosive ammo. Ah, the smell of old GI bore cleaner seeping up from the basement.

The high cost of 30-06 and .45 Colt is what got me into reloading. Used to think $8 a box of '06 was way to much! The bolt action '03 would be a great candidate to start rollin' your own. Load 'em however you want to without have to worry about cycling the action.

#8 ·
meathead said:
The high cost of 30-06 and .45 Colt is what got me into reloading. Used to think $8 a box of '06 was way to much!
ditto on that, man!

for me it was mainly .223 that was killing my bank account. it sucks being around thousands of rounds of it every day and never getting to keep any of it...

between 9mm, 12 gauge, and .223 i prolly shoot at least 1000 rounds a month for free though

#9 ·
meathead said:
Only problem with ordering ammo is the shippings so high. Got a bunch of old surplus '06 and 7.62x54R, but its gota be a full on shoot fest to get it out. Gota shoot enough to justify tearing it all down. Old corrosive ammo. Ah, the smell of old GI bore cleaner seeping up from the basement.

The high cost of 30-06 and .45 Colt is what got me into reloading. Used to think $8 a box of '06 was way to much! The bolt action '03 would be a great candidate to start rollin' your own. Load 'em however you want to without have to worry about cycling the action.
That ww2 bore cleaner is some good stuff no joke. Just dont spill it lol. My work dest USED to be white in that corner. Can still smell it though too nothing in the world smells like that stuff but I kind of got used to it over the years. Oh and dont get in in your eyes either. Made that mistake trying to shove a 12ga brush down the neck of those little cans. Flicked it everywhere on the way back out lol.
Just got a case of 12 of those dated 1943 on ebay for like 25 bucks. Good deal. I can never find the LSA like in the little oval vietnam cans anymore though. That is some good stuff too and those little oval cans were handy. All I can find now are the newer quart cans.

For me probably more than half of what I shoot are my own loads. Halfly because of the price of the factory stuff and halfly because a good number of my guns are in obsolete/out of production calibers. Such as the .38 ACP for my 1902 colt auto and 10ga 2 7/8in for my 1887 winchester.

.45 is getting bad now too, almost to justify a progressive loading setup if you do that much shooting. 9mm isnt that bad yet which is why im going to stock up on some more for the mp40. Bought a bunch way back when the wolf was marginally cheaper than anything else but now its caugh up to about the same and continuing to rise. Best I found recently was on gunbroker 1000 rnds for $280 bucks. Shipping is always going to be bad but usually it adds up to what you would pay for it at a gun show. (for some reason everone jacks up the prices at gun shows :roll:)

Lol devitor wish I could shoot .223 for free! 8) Two bad knees kinda kept me out on that one though. :(

#10 ·
The cost is what's leading more towards anything .22 I'm waiting for a call from the local shop to let me know when my Ruger MarkIII 22/45 will be in. I can justify $17 for 500 rounds of lower end ammo. I can't justify $1 a round from local places for my 30_06. Eventually, when money is more readily available for my wallet I'll go bigger and start getting in to the more expensive stuff. ;D But for now, .22 it is. That, and my wife and mom can shoot it with ease.

#11 ·
Best I found recently was on gunbroker 1000 rnds for $280 bucks
Is that for the 9mm or .45?

Best price I've seen online so far for .40 s&w is from http://georgia-arms.com/ right now its $240 for 1k rds of their own load they call "canned heat". I'm thinking of getting a 500 rd case and try them out. If they are decent I'll probably get another 1k rds. Before shipping it comes out to $0.24 per shot. The cheapest locally from walmart (cci blazer brass) is $0.28 per shot.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.