Isuzu SUV Forum banner

Any PWC owners on here?

5K views 16 replies 10 participants last post by  bigpoppax2 
#1 ·
I have nothing to add as I've never owned a PWC.

But she turned just a bit too quick. I guess she didn't wanna be in the pic.

It does seem odd that the newer more powerful PWC is slower?? What's the weight difference between the two?

Joe

See less See more
#2 ·
Power is power, be it 2 stroke or 4. If the 4 stroke has more power everything else being equal the 4 stroke should go faster.

Now I will say I've ridden a few 2 stroke ATV's and they will run like a scalded dog. The 400 Polaris will outrun it's bigger brother the 500 sportsman. But, I'd also say there is a weight difference and the HP ratings are about the same.

I'd see if you can look up the dry weights of each one.

Joe

#3 ·
valdaviper1 said:
...or it could be that the speedo was off.
That would be my bet. Boat and PWC speedos are rarely accurate. GPS is the easiest way to see how fast you're going on water. A friend of mine has an RXP with the 155 and it moves out. I'd be willing to bet you will notice a pretty big difference from your old Waverunner. If you're really disappointed with the performance you can always sell it and buy an RXT-X. 8).

Regarding reliability, I have not heard that Sea-Doos have more problems than Yamaha. From my experience with snowmobiles, Bombardier makes bulletproof machines that are much better than the competition for reliability.

#4 ·
sweet, looks really nice. I had an old kawasaki. I got a great deal on it, I got it from the origanal owner with less than 100 hours on it for 1K. I could only get upto 45mph (GPS) with my fat *** on it lol. But I was surprised how fast 45 feels on the water. I ended up trading it for my 93 trooper. I've been wanting another for awhile now.

#5 ·
I don't own one (yet) but I do get to mess around with a fleet of '08 Kawasaki SX1500's...flat out on calm water they'll do 65ish with me on them. Pretty fun stuff, but I like the lighter 2-strokes better, with the exception of the Honda R-12X...those things just plain haul 8)

#6 ·
I've been boating alot, but never on a PWC, though they interest me. My question to everyone.... think my '94 2wd Amigo would be able to pull it out of the water well? I really enjoy the water, I've thought about getting a small motorboat or possibly even getting into sailing on my own, don't want anything too big, but at the same time I really don't have a proper tow vehicle.

#7 ·
I would love to have a PWC. it would be soo much fun to cruise around in the bay and around islands down here on the gulf coast.

would be able to pull it out of the water well?
thats the one thing that i worry about with my trooper with the 2.3. I know that i could tow our boat on flat ground, but i dont think that i would be able to pull it outta the boat launch afterwards. All of the boat launches are really steep to deal with the tides. Maybe if i put it in 4low?

#8 ·
Night Wolf said:
.... think my '94 2wd Amigo would be able to pull it out of the water well?
You may have some issues on very steep launches, especially when they're wet but I would think you'd be okay. I pull a lot of things with my Rodeo, including my fishing boat. It's a 16.5 foot aluminum, which I know weighs a lot more than a PWC, and I have never had a problem yanking it out of the water in 2wd, except in freezing temps. I think the LSD helps a lot. You just need to ease it out to avoid wheelspin and you'll be okay.

#9 ·
You should be fine, I never even felt mine when I pulled it out and the 2.8 doesn't have that much power :oops: . In 4 low I've pulled a F250 and his 25' boat up a ramp, so you should be good to go.

#10 ·
Night Wolf said:
I've been boating alot, but never on a PWC, though they interest me. My question to everyone.... think my '94 2wd Amigo would be able to pull it out of the water well? I really enjoy the water, I've thought about getting a small motorboat or possibly even getting into sailing on my own, don't want anything too big, but at the same time I really don't have a proper tow vehicle.
I've seen a Honda Del Sol pull one with no problems...shouldn't be much of and issue for the 'Migo

#11 ·
I have an old Glastron Carlson that I hope to restore one day. I put a new floor in it a few years back, winterized it and haven't beeen able to anything to it since then. I have always loved the looks of these old Carlsons!

This is it in the water the summer I bought it.

#12 ·
think my '94 2wd Amigo would be able to pull it out of the water well?
The biggest problem will be the 2wd. If the ramp is mossy it will be really slick. Cars can pull them out cuz they are fwd so not in the slick stuff. Your rwd could have problems sometimes. That said, if you have lsd it should be able to do ok.

#13 ·
that looks pretty modern! what year is it?
It's a 72' model, right before the big tri hull designs became popular. This one is a CVx 16 SS, meaning it's a 16 footer with a 4 cylinder Volvo and twin carbs. It'll only go about 50 in a good day, I've heard they'll do 60 but that must be with a single person running near empty. There were a few that came with a Ford 302s, they were cool!. I've never seen one in person but I did see a ratty one sell on E-bay. The outboards on the other hand, they were the runners and are more popular. Some guys put modern big CC bass boat motors on them and they can hit 70 plus easy!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.