Isuzu SUV Forum banner

New hat for my Trooper!

3K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  squatch 
#1 ·
If you don't understand the title see rodeoreds avatar. I recently added a new slightly used 12' solo canoe to my collection of small boats. This is an Old Town Discover 119. The idea is to replaced my aging Perception Swifty sit in kayak for fishing. I'm getting to the point where getting in and out of the kayak can be a real pain after a long time sitting in it and I wanted room to carry more eqpt. I've had it out and done a couple of minor mods to it. Fiirst was to lower the seat a little bit to improve the center of gravity. I changed out a thwart so I could install a backrest I use in my tandem canoe and padded the seat with closed cell foam and neoprene from an old Wet Okle seat cover. I added a bungee rig to keep my rods in the boat in case I capsize. And the best mod I bought a double bladed kayak style paddle for it. It is a "bending branches Impression solo canoe paddle". It is wooden very light and has a beautiful finnish and most importantly it is 40cm longer(280cm) than my(and most other) kayak paddle(240). This makes all the difference in the world and really makes the canoe a joy to paddle. here is some pics:

and the one you all will love"A Sasquatch in his natural enviornment"

Just so you know I'm wearing a PFD under my carhart shirt so I'm not THAT FAT as it looks. HA HA!

See less See more
#3 ·
cool! i have an old town discovery canoe - those boats are built to last. they weigh a ton though.

a canoe with a kayak paddle eh? that must drum up some speed...

nice boat.

my dream canoe is a Swift Kipawa or Mattawa
http://swiftcanoe.com/canoe/modern/kipawa.htm
those guys make beautiful boats. they paddle soooo nice nice. like butter. 8)

#4 ·
That is awsome!

Man I wish I had my own boat to fish out of. :( It so nice to just waste the day away fishing. Oh man, cast your line out and just sit back and relax as the boat gently rocks about amid the peaceful lake. I actually fell asleep a couple times like that but thankfully I had a buddy with me to wake me up.

That lake is beautiful. Is that a douglas fur I see back there? Perfect elevation and beautiful scenery. That the only thing we dont have in AZ is beautiful large lakes like that.

#5 ·
RR my tandem is a Discovery 174, it heavy but paddles nice. This solo only weighs 45 lbs. This boat is so short it doesn't track well at all with a single blade but works real nice with the long double. not real fast though too short again for real speed. If you want light check these folks out
http://www.hornbeckboats.com/index.htm
I'd love to paddle one of these.
M79 that is just a small county manmade lake a few hundred acres. Usually I'm on the Potomac river fishing for smallies but it is raging right now because of all the rain we've had. If you want to see big lakes head to Kentucky. That's the area I grew up in. There is a planet member who posts from LBL KY. I can't rmember his name. That's The land between the lakes. It's a state park between Kentucky and Barkley lake. 2 HUGE Manmade TVA lakes. Put together thay were the largest manmade impoundment on earth until the 3 gorges dam they are building in China. I think KY lake is something like 160,000 acres and barkley is like 70,000 if I remember correctly. Now that's a BIG LAKE! Or better yet for fishing head up to visit Rodeored. My favorite fishing lake in the whole world is just a few miles from his house. The area he lives in is about 1/2 land 1/2 water. drive 45 minutes in any direction and you can fish 2 major rivers and dozens of lakes. Fishing paradise. just don't go when the mosquitoes are hungry. They can strip the flesh off of your bones up there faster than you can scream from the 1st bite.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.