Isuzu SUV Forum banner

S&W sigma .40 cal

11K views 37 replies 14 participants last post by  modestmike19 
#1 ·
anyone on here own one of these?ive read some good reviews and some bad, I would like to hear anyones opinions on this handgun... thanks.

#2 ·
Have known a couple guys that had them. Carried them as duty guns on sheriff's department. Went bang everytime, no problems that I've heard of. Little better grip than Glock, more ergonomic. Very similair inside, though. Don't know bout magazine costs. Guns can be found used for pretty good price. See mostly in 9mm, though.

#3 ·
My opinion. Everyone has a glock copy. There is a reason they are all trying to copy Glock. I have a Glock 27 and love it.

My buddy just bought one of the .40 Springfield copies and likes it, but said my glock shoots better.

I like Glocks simple, tested and tried, been there and done that. Mine has never failed to fire, and has never jammed.

Joe

#4 ·
bigpoppax2 said:
My opinion. Everyone has a glock copy. There is a reason they are all trying to copy Glock. I have a Glock 27 and love it.

My buddy just bought one of the .40 Springfield copies and likes it, but said my glock shoots better.

I like Glocks simple, tested and tried, been there and done that. Mine has never failed to fire, and has never jammed.

Joe
Used to have a Beretta 9MM, HATED IT. It looks Intimidating. Then I sold it and bought a Glock 9mm, Good. But wanted more, so I went to a .40 Cal Glock. Like this one much better than all the other Pistols Ive shot. Never seen a Sig.

#5 ·
I agree on the .40 Glock. A buddy of mine bought one and I loved shooting that gun! Very good feel to it and smooth action. Never felt uncomfortable to me at all.

I plan on getting one for myself soon. Right now I carry an el-cheapo 9mm when I travel because it was given to me and, well, I haven't bought anything to replace it yet!

Not much need for handguns where I am, as I spend my money on rifles and shotguns.

#6 ·
Well, I do know that you can get a Sigma for about 100-200 cheaper than a Glock depending on where you go. I have 22 and I love it. Like meathead said, thay are pretty much the same inside though. The grips of Glocks are notoriously "bulky", even more so on the 21 (.45 ACP). However the 22 (.40 S&W) is not that bad if your hands are on the larger side. If you want a polymer frame pistol that is similar to both the Glock and the S&W Sigma, check out the Springfienld XD. Again,this one is similar one the inside but the grip may be a little bit more comfotable for you. In doing research about my Glock purchase some time ago I came across the article. It just gives you an idea of the Glock reputation of reliability and tolerences. I was impressed...

http://www.theprepared.com/index.php?op ... id=90&Item

I don't see anyone doing this with a Sigma or XD...

#7 ·
after several days of revieing and speaking with people in the businnes, I've decided to go with the sigma...I dont have a big budget and from what I hear, the sigmas are pretty good, the only drawback is the trigger pull is at about 8-10 lbs....I've also decided to go with the 9mm instead of the .40.... 9mm is just waay more affordable then .40....I was actually gonna get a rossi .357 mag, but when I saw the prices of 357 and 38 spl ammo, I decided not to get it...thanks for your input and info.

#8 ·
I stubbornly adhere to 1911s over anything LOL!, but when my buddy got a G23 I was actually really impressed with it. Its actually a really tough and rugged carry gun and 9mm is still reliativley cheap, so ammo is no prob yet. When I firs held it I was like WTF is this plastic POS, but after shooting it for a while and getting used to it, it won me over hands down. Youd never think a pistol that small could hold so much 9mm too! Accuracy department suffers a little from the shorter barrel, but at ranges up to 50yrds its right on. Not to bad for somthing I used to avoud like the plague LOL! 8)

#9 ·
We've owned a few glocks, but me and my brother don't like the feel of the glock. I don't like how the angle of my wrist is when holding them for some reason.
I like the feel of the XD's better. My brothers carry gun is a compact .40xd (great gun).

#10 ·
Had a G27. Didn't care for it. Was like packin' a brick in your waistband. My G22 goes bang every time and hits what you aim at. BUT, short stuby hands don't like Glocks. Shot XD's and loved them. For the money, you can't go wrong with the Sigma. My Glocks had lightened triggers, just a matter of changing a spring and disconnector. Bet you can find same thing for the Sigma.

Like 1911's too. But the two best shootin irons for me are my Browning Hi-Power, which slips right into your waistband, and a 4 5/8" barrel Ruger Blackhawk in .45 Colt with my handloads. Those two are like pointing your finger at the target, they fit so well. And that .45 Colt can push a 300 grn slug at 1300 fps in a Ruger! Call it BIG MEDICINE!

#11 ·
I have a 1911 and i love that gun fires everytime and destroys what ever it hits. you cant go wrong with a hundred year old design that is still one of the best out there.

#12 ·
thers a used "firestorm" 1911 at my local gun shop for $325...the guy behind the counter said theyre made in spain...haven heard anything about firestorms though..BTW I bought the sigma, imk picking it up nexst wednesday.

#13 ·
Think you'll like the sigma. I'd stay away from the Firestorms. Thats about the price they were going for new at wholesale. They don't have a good reputation. Reliablity is of the utmost importance with a jam-o-matic.

#15 ·
Yeah, and if you want a real 1911 expect to pay up to 1-2k LOL! Im not talking 1991s, commanderss, and 1911a1s Im talking about THE 1911. Like the producton ceasing in 1919 model!

On another note, have any of you guys also noticed some of the old colt designs coming back? Like coned barrels (1900-1902 colt) straight mainspring housings, (1911) and longer triggers? Seems like Ive been seeing more and more of this on newer 1911s coming out. :?

#17 ·
At the gun club i go to the have hand built 1911s for 5-7g i think thats just way to much for a hand gun nnow i would have no problem paying twice that for a mp5 though

#18 ·
dsrtrat said:
At the gun club i go to the have hand built 1911s for 5-7g i think thats just way to much for a hand gun nnow i would have no problem paying twice that for a mp5 though
thats just insane! wow. i dont know If I would shell out 10 g for an mp5 either... not that I legally could here in cali.

#19 ·
Thats one thing i love about this state is the liberal gun laws. i can buy a mp5, put a silencer on my .45 carry them under my coat (with my ccw) and walk into any place i want as long as they dont have a sign that says no weapons.

#21 ·
Wow, didn't realize pistolas would be such a topic on the Isuzu site. There is a new production "cheapo" 1911 out there. Good friend has small gun shop, sold several Rock Island 1911's (not A1s) They're $400 new, out the door. Even comes with Mecgar mags. Neighbor bought one, and loves it. Like all good 1911s, it spits out hardball like nothing. He hasn't tried hollowpoints, but i've made my prediction. (No feed ramp work). GI parts are straight swap. I'd buy one in a heart beat, if the XD .45 hadn't come out.
Old 1911s are silly high! I just can't justify that kind of money for a gun. Not even for a truck! Well, if it were belt-fed, mounted on a tripod, thats different. MP5s just loose the thrill after you leave a layer of skin on the front handguards.

#22 ·
I have heard some really good things about RI. I guess I am just waiting for a friend to buy one first. As far as entry level 1911; I have heard great things about the new Taurus 1911. $700.00 and it comes pretty much loaded, lifetime warranty, and NRA membership too. The best thing about Taurus is, if something breaks (from what I hear is not common), send it back and they will fix and/or replace your accessory or piece for nothing...

#23 ·
I've found that the Springfield 1911A1s are very good guns. It's a classic 1911 pistol. Parts interchange and everything. They offer from the milspec up to fully customized competition pistols, all built to the 1911 design. I can't say enough good things about them.

-Tad

#24 ·
My Thompson 1911 is a great weapon, it only has a few minor issues with it and thats great for a 18 yo gun that gets about 1000 rounds a year threw it. I bought it used about 15 years ago and i have loved .45s ever since. anything smaller feels like i am spitting.

#25 ·
Hee hee, Neighbor was lobbing those pumkins at an s-10 door one day, and got upset when they wouldn't penetrate! Turns out any inner structure would stop them. I wlaked down with a "weird army surplus pistol" they called it. Started putting .30 bullets through door, seat, floor and shattered the trans. Sometimes if you spit really fast, you can get more damage.

#26 ·
I would rather not go though a person but let the bullet bounce inside them and do more damage, better chance the cops will only get my story not his!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.