Isuzu SUV Forum banner

SKS

9K views 23 replies 9 participants last post by  stealthcrf 
#1 ·
I have recently acquired a Chinese SKS. It came along with a 30 round clip that I'd like to put on. Does anyone know how to go about this?

#2 ·
If it is the detachable 30 round magazine, then you have to take the SKS apart enough to remove the 5 round box magazine. You should be able to just remove the trigger group (using a tool to depress the button at the end). Then reassemble without any magazine. The detachable ones can now lever into the bottom of the gun. Sometimes you need to clearance the stock around the magazine well for them to pivot in freely.

Oh, and be sure to unload the gun first!

-Tad

#3 ·
Yep!

Stocks gotta come off first.

If youve never taken an sks apart before heres how to do it:

First, rack the bolt rearwards, and let it forward by depressing the magazine follower and carefully letting the bolt forward making sure not to smash your thumb. Now flip the saftedy lever forward (on the rear portion of the trigger guard). There sould be a small latch on the rear side of the trigger guard directly behind the trigger with a small indentation in the center of it. Take the nose of a cartrige, and push forward on the latch. The whole trigger guard assembly should now pop out and now you can remove it from the stock. Then you should remove the cleaning rod and flip the bayonet out (if equipt with one). Now all you have to to is to pull up on the receiver assembly (sometimes it takes a little negotiating) and pull the whole receiver and barrel assembly up and out from the stock. The magazine is held in by a detent in the rear and a notch in the front on the underside of te barrel. Grab the rear portion of it and hinge it away from the barrel and it should come right out.

So now, just take your 30rounder and click it in this same notch and hinge it back down onto the receiver. Now, you can put the barrel/receiver back into the stock. Reinstall the trigger guard and you should be home free! 8)

Its actually not too complicated of a gun once you have it apart. Its just learning how to get there the first time! :wink:

#6 ·
If you can break the wood stock, I'll be impressed. I like the little carbine cause it's got a short, handy stock. Quick to shoulder, easy to throw in truck. Aftermarkets are longer, heavier. You may be able to find a chinese fiberglass stock, though they are rare now. Let us know how the 30 rounder works. I had an aftermarket 20 that jambed halfway through, everytime. Seems to be common with the aftermarket steel mags.

#8 ·
Technically it is a "magazine", not a clip. Not quite the same thing. A Garand uses a clip, for example.

Sorry for the nitpick, but some guys get bent out of shape over that common mistake...

#9 ·
BigSwede said:
Technically it is a "magazine", not a clip. Not quite the same thing. A Garand uses a clip, for example.

Sorry for the nitpick, but some guys get bent out of shape over that common mistake...
Yeah, I see that alot. Whenever im at a gun show I always see some guy asking the guy at the mag booth if he has any "clips" for a beretta or glock or whatever "tactical" pistol he happens to have LOL! :roll: I feel like correcting them sometimes, but eventually realize its not really worth it.

There is one pistol that DOES take a clip though! My c96 broomhandle mauser takes 10rnd stripper clips of 9mm. 8) They're really expesive for some reason though. :?

#13 ·
The magazine im talking about are the long oval shaped ones with the crank on the bottom. Never had a mag that would jame more than mine. Not sure if it was just a bad one though, but it was pretty finickey to say the least.

The long curved ones are great though. Never had problem with one of them! 8) Not yet anyway.

#14 ·
I've always wanted an sks...I recently got into firearms. (bought my first rifle in febuary) so far I have a marlin 795 22cal, a mossberg 500 pump shotgun and a mosin-nagant m44 carbine....I havnet been able to find a good sks in my area though, theyre mostly in really bad shape and they want over 300 for 'em :roll: . I found a russian one in good condition but it was going for 600....thats way outta my budget. my buddy was tellin me, last christmas a local gun shop was selling yugo sks's for 100 a pop. wish I would have been there...

#15 ·
I got mine for $180. Well, I did tinker with the magazine, bending until it seemed as if it would hold rounds back better. I managed to bend it right so it send up one round at a time with no jamming. It's a bit harder to load but nothing overly difficult.

#16 ·
SKSs are great rifles. Be sure to get all the cosmoline out, strip it down completely. I am amazed at the number of 20 year old SKSs that still have grease in them.

I have found that most SKS aftermarket mags suck or soon will. The best is the stock 10rd, loading it with stripper clips is fast. If you really want to use 30rd mags look for a Norinco Sporter made to use ak mags. Or just buy an AK variant 8)

#18 ·
Opelfrontera said:
I hate those 30 round detachable mags for an SKS!!!!!!

I would leave it stock, and use stripper clips.
+1 I can get off 30 rounds faster w/ stripper clips than I can w/ a crap mag.

No offense, but if you want 30rd detachable mags then get an AK. The factory sks is good for what it is designed for. Also make sure you do a search on 922r compliance. Just slapping that 30rnder into the rifle causes it to lose its 'sporting purpose' compliance and you'll technically be committing a federal felony unless you replace enough other parts for the rifle to be legally considered a non-import.

Not trying to rain on your parade, just don't want to see someone busted for a stupid draconian import restriction that they don't know about.

#19 ·
stealthcrf said:
Also make sure you do a search on 922r compliance. Just slapping that 30rnder into the rifle causes it to lose its 'sporting purpose' compliance and you'll technically be committing a federal felony unless you replace enough other parts for the rifle to be legally considered a non-import.
Yes techincally this is true, and comes up more than you would think with the AK/L1a1 builders. There are alot gray areas though and it could be argued that the SKS is imoprted without several of the components listed in section (c) such as pistol grips, floor plates ect... and that the law in place would already have applied to weapons imported with such. Also if the the weapon applies under the C&R category or if it was imported before the ban I believe it would be considered as granfathered in and the law would not apply.

This law was never meant to have the feds out combing the neighborhoods for guys who want to put those mags on AKs but as a law to be used as leverage in a sense. If you are ever convicted of a crime and they search your house looking for somthing to get you on that is when they will use it against you in court. That is usually how those type of laws work. Almost no regular police officer has an idea of the little "fine line" legalities of firearms and even most of the ATF (unless requested upon) are aware.

Technically the steps needed to be taken (if you want to be absolutely sure youre playing by the books) would be to visit youre local SOT (class 3 dealer) and ask for an ATF form 1 to register the rifle as an AOW (any other weapon). You will have to get youre picture taken and fingerprinted and pay a $5 tax to the ATF and have the cheif LEO to sign the form and about 2-3 months later you will get your form 1 and you can do whatever the heck you want with the rifle minus making it an SBR (short barrel rifle). These steps are the pretty much the only way to be sure and are used by many to purchase, transfer and build various types of NFA weapons excluding post-may title ones. (post-83' full autos) In fact im in the middle of this right now wating to get the form 1 from my SOT dealer for my 13" remington 870 barrel. After I get my picture, fingerprint, nd LEO cheif sign off Ill get my from and I can finally put the barrel on the shotgun. Pistol grip and 13" barrel is alot of fun with a 12ga. 8) That was a $200 tax though and and not the $5 tax for an AOW. :evil:

#20 ·
m79 please remember that to form1 an AOW is still 200 for a non title 2 manufacturer. subsequent transfers are on form 4 for $5

C&R status for this rifle only applies toward C&R FFLs these rifles are 99.9% imported post import ban and ARE subject to 922(r). The fact that everyone and his brother has a 6-pos tapco stock and bubba mags on them does not mean they are legal. I can guarantee from experience that if a BATFE notices it on the range, they will start poking their noses. Luckily for me mine had more than enough compliance parts :D I'm sure he thought he was going to have a bust for sure :x

eta: are you SBSing the 870 or the barrel? never thought about the barrel, that would be sweet to be able to swap around :)

#21 ·
Doh! Forgot the registraion for civ form 1 is $200 and the transfer is the $5. Thanks for reminding me. Though you may be able to (cant remember) get your SOT to register it and then transfer to you for the $5 but still not sure if the first civ owner has to pay the $200 for the stamp.

Stealth, im SBSing the receiver but Ive never thought of making the barrel itself the SBS. Im not sure if you could do this becuse im thinking that the receiver has to be the part considered the weapon itself and the barrel as the modification? Or maybe you can actually register the barrel as the SBS and it would work somthing like registering an auto sear (before the ban) and the sear itself would be the NFA item interchangeable with whatever receiver you choose. Interesting, I may have to look into it.

What im doing is making up an 870 as a witness protection style but with a shorter barrel. I could have actually bought one of these factory new from my SOT but I wanted it to be little shorter and I didnt want to pay the $1200 bucks for a factory remington witness protection model. :roll:

Im going for pretty much the same angle here except the barrel will be flush with the mag cap. 8) This is how they come from the factory:

#22 ·
first rule of gun thread:

You DO NOT POST gun topics w/out posting PICS! :D

here's one of my simonovs with a couple friends that wanted to come out and get oiled up. I apologize for the mess, the g/f's cat got into my "armory" and tore stuff up.

#23 ·
An AK project poking out under the AR? See barrel, stock, upper handguard, bolt carrier. Wish I'da picked up a few of those parts kits when they were cheap.

As far as SKS's, my Norinco works great, with the stock ten round mag. The 20 round duckbills are ok, but I've never got a 30 to feed a full stick. Wish I'da gotten more when the chinese were cheap! They used to sell for $80 brand new in the box with everything.
Tried the folding stock, tossed it. wobbled all over. Prefer the shorter stock, makes for a fast handling carbine. As others have said, sks is best when left alone. Short, light, and goes bang every time.

#24 ·
meathead said:
An AK project poking out under the AR? See barrel, stock, upper handguard, bolt carrier. Wish I'da picked up a few of those parts kits when they were cheap.
good eye ;)

meathead said:
Wish I'da gotten more when the chinese were cheap! They used to sell for $80 brand new in the box with everything.
Tried the folding stock, tossed it. wobbled all over. Prefer the shorter stock, makes for a fast handling carbine. As others have said, sks is best when left alone. Short, light, and goes bang every time.
+1 to all of that :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.