Isuzu SUV Forum banner

Trap Shooting!

5K views 14 replies 11 participants last post by  Blue 
#1 ·
I just recently got into trap shooting a few months ago, and I absolutely love it! 8) I havent really been to a real trap/skeet range yet, but usually I just take my thrower out with a couple of buddys and throw some clays. Its really a blast. It has also inspired me to start collecting new shotguns too. I think I have like 8 of them now. :roll: Some are still in parts waiting to be put together :D

I usually do pretty good with my browing Auto-5.
I also have a vintage 1887 winchester lever action in 10ga.

Ive always wanted to try an over-under though. Ive heard that they balance really well, but never had the $ to shell out for one. :roll:

Anyone else on the planet do any trap shooting too?

#2 ·
Yep! Not very good, though. I cut my teeth as a kid with my dad and an old spring loaded slinger to practice up for bird hunting.

We have a great range nearby and the guy who owns it went to college with me. We ran in a lot of the same circles, so I get to chew the fat with him when I go. Dude is a dead on shot. He is sponsored by Remington Arms (HQ is located near us) and a lot of their big-wigs use his range a lot. It is one of the best ranges in the southeast and he is one of the best competition shooters around. I am nowhere near his level, but I guess when you have a range in your back yard (literally - he runs it out of his basement), you get plenty of parctice!

10 guage?? I bet that thing kicks like a mule! Don't worry, I can't afford the high-dollar over and under trap guns either. To tell you how "old school" I am, I use my dad's old Ithaca side-by-side double barrel 12 guage. One of my favorite guns. I have a buddy who has tried to buy it off oc me for years. Can't see me letting her go! She does let you know you've been on the range all day, though! I have sported some pretty sore shoulders in my day from that old girl!

#3 ·
I shot quite a bit of Trap when I lived in Illinois. Enough that we ended up buying a 12 gauge reloader setup. I loaded probably 100 boxes of shells or so. I think I enjoyed the loading about as much as the shooting.

I loved shooting Trap, skeet was a bit out of my league. I was pretty young then. I was about 12-13 and skeet looked fun but the multiple shots going in different directions was tough.

Joe

#4 ·
I don't shoot. too poor and to young to do it. But i did find this the other day. And i want it.

#5 ·
I do a lot of skeet shooting to prepare for dove season. I love it. Me and my buddies went in together and bought a thrower. I use a Mossberg 500 12 gauge. It was cheap, but I've never had any problems with it. Good gun for the money.

Brad

#6 ·
I have the cheap little yellow spring loaded thrower that im sure almost everyone has had at one time or another. It throws great, and you can stack up to two at a time. 8)

10ga does kick like mule, Especially with 85 grains of blackpowder! I dont load much blackpowder shells for it anymore though, mostly because I couldnt see if I hit the bird or clay I was shooting at. But, one must remember that this is a 110 year old shotgun, so naturally I do have to be REALLY careful with my loads. These shotguns were chambered for the now long obsolete 1 7/8 shells too, which for every one I am forced to trim down and load from normal length shells. Oh well. Its the nostalgia that counts!

Ithaca doubles have always been a favorite of mine. Excellent build quality. :D Ive actually been looking for one made pre-1900 with damascus barrels and rabbit ears. Classy, but pricey!

Mossbergs are good shotguns. I was going to buy a security model I saw for a good deal in the local gunshop, but I eventaually talked myself out of it. Im saving up for some new mud tires. :)

#7 ·
I "inherited" a Mossberg 12 guage "turkey" gun. Shots 3-1/2" magnums. Now THAT will let you know it has been fired as well!

My Ithaca is a model 100 with the single trigger. Chambered for 2-3/4" shells. Good shooting gun and tough as nails. Dad dropped it in chest deep swamp water while duck hunting once. I love that gun.

Mom gave me a .410 double barrel for Christmas the year after I got married. I had always wanted one to rabbit hunt with and she managed to find one. That is a good whooting gun as well.

I also "inherited" a Remington model 700 .270 with a stainless barrel and synthetic stock. My wife's step-father was a big hunter and he passed a few years ago. Since the MIL had all these guns left over, she gave a lot of them to me. I already had a Remington 700 30-06 with a blued barrel and regular stock, but I have to admit I like the .270. Doesn't kick nearly as bad as the 30-06 and it has a primo Leupold scope as well. The man didn't skimp on ANYTHING when it came to hunting and fishing.

#8 ·
I just recently got into this as well, I purcahsed my first shotgun about 2 months ago, a mossberg 500...great shotgun for a great price, anyway, the day I picked up my shotgun I bought a box of clays and a thrower, as soon as we got shooting I was hooked! ive been up to the range almost every weekend since! I think I've gotten pretty good too...was gonna go this weekend but my starter just died and im gonna have to get that repaired instead.

#9 ·
I go out from time to time (see my avatar for me firing both barrels of the "alley cleaner" 12-gauge side by side). I really like the Mossberg 500, but was given a Remington 870 as a graduation gift so it is what I shoot normally. I do get to borrow my sister's 500 sometimes though, which is nice.

-Tad

#10 ·
Tad said:
I go out from time to time (see my avatar for me firing both barrels of the "alley cleaner" 12-gauge side by side). I really like the Mossberg 500, but was given a Remington 870 as a graduation gift so it is what I shoot normally. I do get to borrow my sister's 500 sometimes though, which is nice.

-Tad
wow, that alley cleaner really packs a punch :shock: ! I like the remington 870 as well, my buddy has one and we switch off, shooting the different shotguns, the 870 seems very solid, but I tend to shoot better with my mossberg...BTW, I just fired slugs for the first time last saturday...wow, what a punch...ive never seen bowling pins flip so many times before in my life!

#12 ·
Nice "alley cleaner" Tad!

I made up an 18 1/4" barrel that I can switch out on my auto-5. 5 rounds as fas as you can pull the trigger out of an 18 inch barrel!

Ah! Thank you for the correction Maxwell! It is 2 7/8! 8)

The 1887 has to be my favorite shotgun in all of my collection. I even bought a new norinco copy to go with it, and slicked the action up. Its a real gem to go out and play with. Capable of modern loads too! I wish I had a good supply of 10ga though. Im getting tired of spending $25 bucks a box for steel loads just to unload and cut down the hulls. :roll:

Ive also been wanting to get a model 1901, but at the collector prices of those nowadays, wo can afford one? :(

Where did you find your winchester at? And where exactly can I find those blackpowder blanks? :mrgreen:

I found mine on gunbroker. It was in terrible shape when I got it. Missing hammer and spring, so covered in rust that no metal was visable, and all of the wood was cracked up and missing pieces here and there. Its pretty much completely restored now. Minus a blue job. I do all of my own gunsmithing, but I dont have the capabilites to handle bluing yet. Parkerizing I do all the time, but bluing is a different story. :roll: Restoring old guns has always been a hobby of mine. It kind of gives gives me a feeling of bringing the gun back to when it first left the factory sometimes more than a century ago. If can only they could talk. :wink:
Ill take a couple of pics of It and post em up when I get a chance.

Also, I recently just found a vintage Ithaca Flues side-by-side grade 2 at my favorite little shop. Its got beautiful damascus barrels and the bores are like mirrors. Its in great shape for its age, and for $300 bucks its a steal! Im running over there after work tomorrow to pick it up. :wink:

Oh! also Maxwell, is your 1887 an early or late model? Single (early) or double (later) extractors? This changeover was incorporated around seriel # 28,000 and all 1887s and 1901s after that had the double extractors. Its great to hear that there are others out there that appreciate antique guns! 8)

#13 ·
My friends and I do some casual clay pigeon shooting at a sandpit by our cabin. I have a Beretta AL391 Urika that is very nice. I can shoot it all day without getting too sore...one of the nice things about a gas-operated semi-auto.

#14 ·
Used to have a great place to shoot, my back yard. But someone had to go and buy property behind me and put a doublewide in. Me and buddy lowbucked it: hand thrower attached to old broomhandle. Now that will whip'em out there! Fav is the Auto-5. Claybirds was always an informal BBQ event.
The 19" barrelled 870 is refered to as "yardgun". Stand at back door, left fly a load of old lead #2, and hit anything in the yard. Taken 2 coyotes with that one.
18" barrel on an Auto-5 is sweet! Handled an old Rem M-11 riotgun and wanted one ever since. In fact I know where theres a 18 1/2" Auto-5 barrel sitting. With screw in chokes!! Customer hasnt picked it up for nearly a year. I'm keep the pressure on.

#15 ·
I shoot a Winchester OU, love the way it feels and points. I don't shoot it too often. I have one of those stake in the ground launchers, which you can set up to throw by yourself. Problem is it throws to the same area each time. It's way more fun to have a friend use a hand held and throw for you. Most of my shooting (90%) now is 45acp. at a range.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.