Isuzu SUV Forum banner

Cot Advice and Opinions Needed

6K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  Andrewp 
#1 ·
I've checked on cots at a couple different places and wanted some opinions. What do you use and recommend and what do you think is crap? I'm tired of messing with air beds. Thanks for any insight you can give.

#2 ·
You can usually get a pretty good one at a surplus store if you dont mind military issue. I'm not up on camping stuff but I have spent a few nights on an Army cot, really good if you like a firm bed

#3 ·
yea, them old green ones are kinda hard. But if you can find an old White one they used in the hospitals then there 10x more comfy.

#4 ·
I stick to air matresses just because I like it so soft I'm almost on the ground. My dad has an old white cot from his Boy Scout days that is really comfy. I wouldn't trust it to hold me now but back when i was like 50 pounds I didn't care

#5 ·
get yourself a thermarest, the self inflating matress. i hate big airmatresses. you can get the luxery one, super comfy. you just open the valve and let it sit for 20 minutes. then you blow up the remaining bit to top it up and screw the cap. and best of all, it rolls up to be way smaller than the diameter of a loaf of bread

http://www.thermarest.com/

#6 ·
I like the idea of a straight military type cot with an air mattress on it. The wife and I currently have two bag-cots that are collapsible like the popular camp chairs. They are easy to transport and don't take up much space. they really don't sleep too bad either. I usually lay a sleeping bag on the cot for more padding, then crawl into a separate military mummy bag; works pretty well for me.

We also have a double-sized air mattress. I'm thinking about getting two straight cots and put the air mattress on those for a bed-height setup.

I'm way too old now for the on-the-ground thing but I still don't mind doing tents. :lol:

We picked up a brand new Eddie Bauer cabin tent with porch on clearance from Target we'll be trying out in June.

Cheers,

#7 ·
I use an aluminum frame cot with an exercise mat on top. Its very light & takes up minimal space.

#8 ·
Andrewp: Jusr saw your location. We need to hook up on a traio ride sometime. Maybe ,ake a run to summertwon or wooly's.

#9 ·
Wal-Mart sells a double sized airbed with a platform that actually looks like a regular bed - the whole mess folds down to a carry-on sized luggage piece and is luxury camping.
As for thermarests, you've gotta go thick and fancy - the more you spend, the less likely your back is going to hurt. I got the super slim (and decently expensive) one for camping in Mexico and I couldn't sleep on my back - if I did, I would be sorry for the whole day. It really sucked and I took it back for full credit plus a 20% discount on my next shopping order (thank you Eastern Mt. Sports).
They also have pretty good cots at Wal-Mart as well -- the aluminum type are nice cause they're light and easy to assemble. I've slept on those and they're decent, esp if it comes with a little pad.
-G

#10 ·
wareagle said:
Andrewp: Jusr saw your location. We need to hook up on a traio ride sometime. Maybe ,ake a run to summertwon or wooly's.
Definitely, but I still have some things to do to the Trooper before she is trail ready, but should have them by the end of the summer. Have you been down there before?
And sorry it took me so long to get back to you but I've been messing with a Ford Fukus a/c in all of my free time. In the cot area I've been checking out the Slumberjack Big XL cot at Bass Pro Shops. I'm just tired of waking up in the middle of the night to a half flat air mattress. I'd rather deal with a stiffer bed that the ground.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.