Isuzu SUV Forum banner

Planet Fishermen.

8K views 22 replies 19 participants last post by  whteglve 
#1 ·
Ok well since i had to be the first one to post here. I saw this on another forum and well thought i would do it here.

Who Fishes here? And what do you go for, explain your gear, where do you go, when do you go, favorite lure....... you get the point.

Me I like to do off shore fishing going for Red Fish, or grouper. Normally they will be 50-70lb's. We just use squid and a 3oz wight and let them troll as we just let the current take us. But we are not picky as to what bites. except if me and my 2 buddy's are in a turrny. Then we care. ANd we do a lot of trolling with squid and live shrimp.

#2 ·
I like to fish for rainbow trout (usally 10-15"), from small streams & and lakes. I don't really like bait fishing, I usally only use spinners, or spoons. My favorite lure is a #2 sliver/blue BlueFox spinner. I use a ultralite rod & reel, with 6lbs. line. And I love getting there before the sun completely rises in the morning.

#4 ·
Zippo, Great idea for a topic. This is now officially my favorite website!

Being that I was born and raised in MN, it just wouldn't be right if I didn't fish. I fish just about every weekend. I pretty much only fish for muskie and usually only on a little pond in MN called Mille Lacs. The fish aren't quite the size of fish you would normally see in the ocean, but it's as good as it gets in the Midwest. I've yet to break the 50" mark, but I'm feeling optimistic about this year. Here's a pic of my biggest from last year, 48 inches.

#5 ·
Another Coloradan fisherman here. I love bass fishing, but whatever biting is whatever I like catching. Never really got the hang of fly fishing, but I try every now and again.

As far as favorite lures... crankbaits in general for anything in Colorado. Bass will hit a crank, trout will hit a crank, perch will hit a crank. I'm now gonna start heading out to Ft Collins, so I can mooch off ephebus since he has now shared that he has a boat. lol.

Any of you ice fish? I like me some hard water.

#6 ·
Well, I love to fish, but I don't have a favorite lure, fish or anything. Like the man said, if it bites, I like hooking it!

In my neck of the woods, we are blessed with the best of all worlds. We have some of the best trout fishing up in the mountains (although they are much less plentiful than out west), great lakes and ponds for bass, crappie and other good freshwater fishing and some of the best surf and off shore fishing you can get.

Personally, I like the smaller ponds in my little two man boat with my boys and some small jigs. Nothing like hooking a few good ones on a summer afternoon.

However, some fellow church buddies and I are planning on a trip out to Cape Lookout sometime soon. They ferry you out to the island and have cabins out there you stay in. You have to have a 4 wheel drive vehicle, as there are no roads out there. Anyway, some of the best fishing around AND you get to take it off road.

When I was a child, my dad and I stayed on the coast fishing almost year round. I remember when Hatteras, Cape Lookout and Topsail were virtually unspoiled. You rarely saw a house anywhere. Unfortunately, now you have developments everywhere and the fishing spots are fewer than they used to be, but still great. Morehead City has one of the bigger Blue Marlin tourneys each year and surf and pier fishing still rule the day down there.

Here are some links with pictures for you guys to see what I am talking about:

http://www.capelookoutconcessions.com/

http://www.portsmouthislandfishing.com/

http://www.capelookoutlures.com/Home%20Page.htm

http://www.capelookout.com/

http://www.outerbanksfishing.com/

http://www.oregon-inlet.com/

http://www.fishingouterbanks.com/index.html

#7 ·
I'm now gonna start heading out to Ft Collins, so I can mooch off ephebus since he has now shared that he has a boat. lol.
Well, come on up! I like to head up near Green Mountain and surrounding area, good camping, fishing, and some nice back woods trails. Although the Rodeo doesn't much care for towing a boat up I-70 to the tunnel in anything more than second gear LOL. Protetype, if you would be interested this summer we should go fish red feather lakes about an hour out of the Fort.
Evan

#8 ·
Just got back from fishing yesterday.

My company has a lodge that's privately owned, that's stocked with Rainbow trout and naturally has some panfish and largemouth bass. But the fact that it's privately owned means no limit.

Me and my dad completely filled two of the steel baskets (trout) I didn't count but I'm guessing in the 50ish range.

Most were caught on power bait, but I did throw a spinner and caught 10 or so on it. It was a brown Joes Fly.

I caught one that was about 26" and I'm guessing around 5 pounds.

It was a great day of fishing. I get to go again, in June. I make sure to take may camera so I can post some pictures.

joe

#10 ·
I hate fishing! Thats why I have 1 perception swifty kayak, 1 oldtown discovery 174 canoe, 1 12' jon boat 4 hp force, 1 aluma-weld 1750 sticksteer with 60hp johnson thats waiting on me to finish fixing up this trooper to tow it. LOL. I usually fish freshwater rivers(potomac) for smallmouth bass and panfish. I use maimly inline spinners and tubes or lizzards. Remember CPR= catch,photo,release!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It takes years to grow a 5 pound smallmouth!!!!!! the big ones are the breeding females. If your not going to eat it today put it back and catch it again.

#11 ·
squatch said:
Remember CPR= catch,photo,release!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It takes years to grow a 5 pound smallmouth!!!!!! the big ones are the breeding females. If your not going to eat it today put it back and catch it again.
That can't be said enough. CPR is one of the main reasons muskie fishing is so good in MN. A 50" muskie in MN is usually over 20 years old.

#12 ·
I usally alway catch and release. I don't really like the taste of fish and it's a pain to drag the fish around all day then clean them. I'd rather just catch them next time.

#13 ·
Depends on what I am fishing for. Most of the time I release, but when I hit the coast and land some of those babies, well, they will end up in my frying pan!

You are right, though. Most of the time it is best to release and I usually do that, as I don't like the taste of some freshwater fish. Never really liked bass, but I can't catch them worth a crap anyway, so it isn't an issue!

Flounder is another story altogether! :D

#14 ·
here in NJ the waters arent the best, but there is a small pond and we catch carp, bass, a few perch. there are a few LARGE carp in here, pushing 15-20 lbs and 40"+ long. ocassionally they swim right past you and yet i can never land them. hook a few times but the line never holds up, even with the drag out.....heres a picture of my son's FIRST fish, yes a 4lb carp and he landed it himself (3 1/2 years old). i set the pole and the hook but he reeled it in. Thats me holding it, since my son wouldnt touch it.....lol

plan on moving into my house in NC in a year or so and plan on going fishing on Lake Hickory ....one day

#15 ·
I'm not a hardcore every spare minute fishing kinda guy--I might be if I had more spare minutes--, but I certainly love getting out and fishing. There are a few lakes in my area, and a river, but mostly I like fishing the creeks.

I bought an old boat (affectionately dubbed that seventies boat, or the *** master) about a year ago, and I try to get out on the lakes when I can, but always have better luck bank-fishing the creeks.

I use a 6' Medium action one-piece Berkley Lightning Rod, for the price, I haven't found anything that comes close in performance.

I like fishing tubes, power worms, various spinners, whatever they're biting on!

#16 ·
bassin` is my thing and if I had to chose one lure it would have to be a 10" power worm... chartreuse and pumkin seed. I`ve caught more bucket mouths on this one (in different conditions) than anything else.

#17 ·
Live two miles from a boat ramp on a BIG state park lake, and don't even own a RUNNING boat. The '72 Mark Twain tri-hull and I had a falling-out. Do take the boy out when can. Crappie and catfish are the prefered fare. But it's just as much fun to catch bluegill all afternoon for my boy.

#18 ·
concur with Meathead...taking the kids fishing is what it's all about. I have three little ones...now 8, 6, and 4. I subscribed to Field & Stream for the 8 year old--he reads them from cover to cover, and gets the best ideas for catching fish! We go weekly to one or two of the little lakes around here...usually good for the several bluegill and occasional bass, crappie, or catfish.

#19 ·
I enjoy fishing I don't care what I'm fishing for as long as I'm out on the water. It's steelhead season up here in Idaho and My brother and I go every chance we can wich is usually not nearly enogh for my taste.
Last weekend he pulled in a fifteen pounder on this laser lighted lure needless to say we both went out and bought every one of those things we could find. if you're ever in the idaho area look me up I'd be happy to take anyone fishing that would like to go.

#20 ·
mostly bass but sometimes i go for bream or what ever bites
i bought two kayaks from Dicks they're called Blast and boy are they
they cost about 300 out the door (with paddle) each and have been a great investment.
me and my nephew have been hitting the creeks the water is so thin some placves that you have to get out and pull the boat to deeper water but i have pulled a 7lb er out of the creek on ultra light tackle ( 4 pound diam. 15lb test spider wire)
now as soon as i get the suzu running i am going to biuld a custom roof rack to carry them

#22 ·
Tons of good fishing here in WV. I spin and fly but mainly fly. I am going to Cheat Mountain lodge to fish shavers fork first wknd in jan.

I frequent second creek, cherry, anthonys creek, camp creek, greenbrier.
We got a condo in Pawleys Island sc. I try to get some surf and pier there. More beer drinkn there than fishin tho. I want to go deep sea. never been. looks badass

#23 ·
I love bass fishing but I'll fish for anything. I've stopped using store bought rods and make my own custom rods. I prefer to use artificial baits or flies when trout fishing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.