The lift works and oil change cart

For all things chrome plated and greasy that don't mount to the truck

Moderator: Staff

The lift works and oil change cart

Postby Von » Fri Mar 04, 2016 12:56 am

I used the lift for more than giving the kids rides today. Pulled the GTP in for an oil change and rotate the tires.

I really, really wish I could have made that end of the shop longer. It was an 8 point turn getting the car on the lift, and that's before I park the Fairlane inside too. I don't know if I can do that with the truck... 28 foot turning radius and no power steering...
Looks like maybe I could have moved the lift 2 or 3 feet closer to the end of the building.

I wanted to lift the GTP first because it has GAP insurance.... The lift was going up and down nice and even but I'd read that you don't really know if you have the equalization cables adjusted right until you put some real weight on it.

I took a pic of the car before I did. I've never taken any pics of it and well, I didn't know for sure what condition it would be in if I didn't have the cables right. I didn't want the first pic I took of it to be it laying on it's side in my garage...
IMG_20160303_150113495_HDR.jpg

And.... TADA!!
IMG_20160303_160131352.jpg

All the way up and plenty of room up top. I think if I pull the side boards and top off my truck I'll be able to get it all the way up too.
That was like, the third lift. Was going to take a pic before the oil change with the safety stands under it but I lost my phone for a little bit. Thought I'd left it in the car but I didn't... that was lift two.. Found it after I changed the oil and raised it back up just for you guys.

Holy crap.. that is SO nice not having to lay down on the concrete to pull the plug and have oil dropping in a pan splash you... front spoiler digging into your shoulder..

The oil change station... the bastard child of thrift and redneck engineering.
IMG_20160303_160223106.jpg

The big bit on top was a resin blender receiver body I got on a scrap ticket from work. Vacuum system sucks resin pellets to a receiver and then it's dropped into a blender hopper. That's an old, old, old one... The harness looking thing on bottom thats holding the red funnel in place... the rubber bit used to go up the bottom and was clamped in place. When the vacuum was applied the bottom of the rubber piece would suck closed and then resin was pulled from a daybin on the other side of the plant. There's a couple thousand miles of aluminum tubing on the ceiling of the place... tons of resin getting sucked back and forth all the time. Pretty cool system as long as it's working right and the daybins get filled on time.

Anyway, I cut part of that away so it'll hold the red funnel in place. There's a screen in the funnel in case I from a plug or something else important.
IMG_20160303_222102506.jpg

I couldn't find anything around the house that was suitable to go between the red funnel and the bucket, another $2 for the black funnel. I've got $8 in it.

I chopped up an old bed frame to make the base. Should have used the different one, those castors are pretty wore out.

It's kind of wobbly... I'll brace it up some more once I know it'll fit under the truck. It's a little bit taller than it needs to be, might cut it down a little anyway, then it won't need 2x4s under the bucket to keep the black funnel from falling over.

If I get it calibrated right and decide to keep it I might put hangers on it for filter wrenches, put a shelf inside the metal funnel for draining filters.

Don't have the garage organized yet. Everything just kinda... piled here and there. Move a pile when it's in the way...

I ran outside to take that last pic and saw the stack of car dollies sitting against the wall.... :idea:

Pull the truck in, jack it up and put it on the dollies, spin it 90 degrees and then take it off the dollies... drive it to the lift! maybe... Those are rated at 1000lbs each, truck weighs 5800lbs.. I packed plenty of grease into the dolly swivels when I put them together... we'll see..
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2004 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP
1990 Trooper 2.8 V6 Auto (Wrecked... sent to the crusher)
1993 Shortbed, regular cab Z71 (Donated to step-son #2)(deceased, parted out)(Forums for GM and fullsize 4X4s suck... so I'm still hanging out here)
1965 Ford Fairlane 500 Sports Coupe 289 & 4 speed (some assembly required)
1968 Kaiser M715, Chevy 350/700r4, stock NP200 and 5.87 gears... prepping for Ford 390/T-18/divorced NP205 transplant.. .just because.
Von
Expedition Ready

Have thanks: 33 times

Sponsor

Re: The lift works and oil change cart

Postby itsmehb » Sat Mar 05, 2016 6:45 am

Really nice set up. Will make working on your cars much easier. My son in law has one just like yours installed in an airplane hanger he bought for working on his race cars. When I put the 89 RS on the lift it's some what of a challenge because of the short wheelbase and the long arms of the lift. Also good Tx. engineering building your oil catch can set-up.
1990 Amigo, 2.3 5 speed (sold)
1991 Pick up (long gone)
2000 Amigo, 2.2 5 speed(sold)
1985 Trooper 1.9 4 speed (sent back to KS)
1989 Trooper RS 2.6 5 spd. Red

We get too soon old and too late smart!
itsmehb
Almost Joe Isuzu

Have thanks: 194 times

Return to Tool & Shop