A 2-Stroke Victory

For all things chrome plated and greasy that don't mount to the truck

Moderator: Staff

A 2-Stroke Victory

Postby Tad » Mon Nov 02, 2015 10:20 pm

I have a small set of 2-stroke equipment: Weed Wacker, Chainsaw, Tiller and a pair of leaf blowers. None of these get much use over the course of the year. The most any of them get used is the primary blower during leaf season. (the other one is a crummy back pack blower that I only use if someone else is using the hand-held). I used to have little problem with them all as long as I was sure to run them out of gas at the end of the year. That changed a few years ago now that we can't get non-ethanol gas around here. I've tried all of the stabilizers that I can find, and can keep the fuel somewhat fresh but it's been a loosing battle. I used to buy a one gallon gas tank, which I would Stabalize as soon as I got home from the station, and then I would add synthetic 2-stroke mix to it. Come October I would mix what was left with 3 gallons of non 2-stroke gas and run it through the tractor. Gummed up carbs, nasty tanks and just generally poor running had been a way of life and I had basically given up on small equipment. I even bought a 12-volt electric chainsaw that I can run from the diesel tractor or the car.

Anyway, I found something that worked for me this year: I bought my 2-stroke gasoline on Amazon. I've been using the TruFuel pre-mixed gasoline, and with Amazon prime it ships to me for free. While it is expensive (for gasoline) it easily saves me that much in carb cleaner in a year and it's hard to price the frustration of picking up something and having it not run properly.

To talk about the cost for a minute, it's about $23/gallon. Way higher than pump gas. Considering I usually use less than a gallon per year the overall cost for use isn't that high. After I started using it, Joe suggested that I start with normal gas and use it for as long as I can and then just empty the tank and restart it with TruFuel to ensure that's what is in it when it is stored. I tried that just recently. I had gas that I bought this summer and treated. I was running the TruFuel and ran low. I topped off the tank and kept running the leaf blower. It appeared to run ok. Then I shut it off and it cooled down while I did something else. When I went to restart it it was a real bear to get started. It also didn't want to run without partial choke. This was fairly fresh gas! I dumped it out of the tank and filled it back up with TruFuel in frustration. I figured I had a carb cleaning ahead of me. Aside from taking a few extra pulls to start it was back up and purring along as it had that morning. It was a relief and I had the sad realization that despite the cost, TruFuel was likely to be my future. I have used that blower several times since and it starts up and purrs as much as any 2-stroke could be expected to.

Hopefully this saves someone else some frustration as well.

-Tad
Tad
Site Admin

Have thanks: 95 times

Sponsor

Re: A 2-Stroke Victory

Postby Hack » Tue Nov 03, 2015 12:09 am

Tad, that is an interesting solution but I have another for you. Join us on a GWNF run, bring a 5 gal can and fill it up at one of the stations that is still selling real gas. typically it only goes for about 20 cents more per gal than E-10.

BTW: Your toboggan is still sitting in my garage.
Mario

Daily Driver: 1995 Trooper Limited, Auto, 3.2L DOHC, Rear LSD, HD Torsion Bars, Moog Cc812s, Cooper Discoverer A/T3 245/70-16
Trail Truck: 2001 Amigo, Auto, 3.2L, Rear LSD, Front Aussie Locker, DOR Drop Dif, HD Torsion Bars, OME 912s, BFG M/T KA2 33x10.5R15
RIP: 1988 Troop 2.6L 5spd. Burnt valve(s). Damaged frame. Parted out. Sent to crusher.
RIP: 1998 4WD Rodeo, Auto, 3.2L -- Ruined by Daughter #1 with Russian assistance. Parted out. Sent to crusher.
RIP: 1989 Troop 2.6L 5spd --- Stripped of all good parts. Body and rotted frame sent to the crusher.
RIP: 1999 2WD Amigo, Auto, 3.2L -- Engine blown and body damaged by Daughter #2. Parted out. Sent to crusher.
Hack
I am the Stig

Have thanks: 130 times

Postby Darby » Tue Nov 03, 2015 6:23 am

Sounds like a better solution for you would be lithium battery powered tools. They make some really powerful ones today. If the run time isn’t long enough, you can always buy an extra battery. They’re a little pricey, but they sure are a lot less trouble than gas power.
Original owner of a 1993 Isuzu pick up, 2.3 engine, 5 speed with power steering and air conditioning. All original except the radio (still have factory radio).
It's cheaper to fix what you have than to buy someone else's problems.
Darby
Super Trooper

Have thanks: 19 times

Postby Von » Wed Nov 04, 2015 9:14 am

Wow, you REALLY CAN buy anything on Amazon. Except a locker for a 23 spline Dana 70.

I've given up on 2 strokes. Went 110v on weedeater, blower and chainsaw and invested in extension cords...
2004 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP
1990 Trooper 2.8 V6 Auto (Wrecked... sent to the crusher)
1993 Shortbed, regular cab Z71 (Donated to step-son #2)(deceased, parted out)(Forums for GM and fullsize 4X4s suck... so I'm still hanging out here)
1965 Ford Fairlane 500 Sports Coupe 289 & 4 speed (some assembly required)
1968 Kaiser M715, Chevy 350/700r4, stock NP200 and 5.87 gears... prepping for Ford 390/T-18/divorced NP205 transplant.. .just because.
Von
Expedition Ready

Have thanks: 34 times

Postby N law » Mon Nov 09, 2015 1:19 pm

I had trouble with a 2 stroke weed eater a few years back. It would only run mediocrely at half throttle. I ordered a carb kit and cleaned and replaced everything, but still had issues. As I read further into everything, I found out that the EPA has buckled down on 2 strokes and forced the manufacturers to LEAN out the settings to tightest settings that could run and then restrict the ability for the end user to richen them back out. I looked at my weed eater and the carb adjustment screws were there, but they were in deep recesses and with funny shaped heads (like a pac-man or a D shape). After I replaced it, I chipped the pot metal away and turned the adjustment screw 1/8 turn and it ran again like a champ!

I have since found a screw driver set that will let me adjust them more easily and I've been able to richen everything a little bit. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DQA ... ge_o07_s00

I still try to run only 100% gas through them and run them dry!
99 VX
96 Rodeo Build thread
1975 FJ40
69 Beetle
84 Westfalia
70 VW bus turned camper
86 VW Diesel Golf
07 Frontier V6 6 speed
1999 4Runner Limitee- wife's
2004 Genuine Stella Scooter
N law
Almost Joe Isuzu