OOPS! Left fuel in the tank.

For all things chrome plated and greasy that don't mount to the truck

Moderator: Staff

OOPS! Left fuel in the tank.

Postby squatch » Mon Oct 26, 2015 9:43 pm

I have this old 4hp outboard I used to use on a 12' jon boat. It's had very little use and I haven't used it in a while. Last time it was used fishing line got wrapped in the prop and cut the lower seal. So it's in need one of them. Recently I had to move the motor and a week later a canoe I've been wanting for this motor came up for sale. So I pulled out the motor to check it out.

To my horror I found that I had left fuel in the tank. Fortunately the petcock had been closed and the motor run dry. The damage was just the tank. I was not happy when I opened the tank.

When I got it the motor had been an unused kicker on a sailboat. It had a little salt corrosion on the leg so it was painted with what I had on hand. I added the Mac's River Runner.

Not to bad for an '85!

Last edited by squatch on Mon Oct 26, 2015 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
These links have write-ups and pics of most anything you ever will do on a 2.6 Isuzu. Engine, brakes, suspension, interior, you name it! Enjoy!
Original '88 Trooper frame off build.
viewtopic.php?t=12172
The continuing Trooper project.
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=43909
My '88 Spacecab build. In progress.
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=56442

For this post the author squatch was thanked by:
Ed Mc.
squatch
I am the Stig

Have thanks: 328 times

Sponsor

Re: OOPS! Left fuel in the tank.

Postby squatch » Mon Oct 26, 2015 10:05 pm

Not sure if this will show up. But the entire tank was rusted up inside.

I tried something I had read about but never tried. I washed the tank out with soap and water. Then filled it with vinegar and dropped in a handful of 1/4" nuts. Every evening for 2 weeks I shook it in every possible direction and then poured the stuff into a big bucket. Out came gunk. I poured the good vinegar back in and put the nuts back in and I topped off the tank with more vinegar and closed the cap. The waste I just poured on some invasive weeds I didn't want. I did this for 2 weeks and about every 3rd day replaced the vinegar with new. After 2 weeks the tank was clean of rust.

I thought the cap was toast when I 1st took it off. The vinegar cleaned that too!

I did some web research and read nothing but good stuff about Red-Kote fuel tank liner. So following the directions I lined the cleaned tank with 1 coat.
http://damonq.com/red-kote.html

I haven't put fuel in the tank yet but so far I'm impressed with the liner. And the vinegar!!!!!!!!! After the vinegar I neutralized the tank by filling it with baking soda and water overnight. Then I washed out the tank again. Then a last clean out with acetone before the liner.

I have a carb kit, new fuel fittings and petcock for the tank, a water pump and lower seal kit. So soon this should be like a new motor again.

This was a timely experiment. I have the gas tank out of black beans right now and will probably do the same to it!
These links have write-ups and pics of most anything you ever will do on a 2.6 Isuzu. Engine, brakes, suspension, interior, you name it! Enjoy!
viewtopic.php?t=12172
squatch
I am the Stig

Postby Ed Mc. » Tue Oct 27, 2015 2:26 am

Phosphoric acid does a great job of derusting as well, but vinegar certainly is cheap and a lot gentler I imagine. Just takes a bit longer. I have an old Merc racing outboard with top-mounted tank and it's nasty inside, I bet the vinegar would clean it up really nice and without eating away paint.

Have seen favorable comments on Red-Kote from various outboard forums I frequent.

Some pretty good deals on eBay: http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R4 ... te&_sop=15

Thanks for the informative writeup..........ed
'90 3.4 Troop LS;
'89 Troop RS (Exhaust Valve Challenged), now gone to a Good Home!
Yes, I am a Trooper-Holic!!!
Keep On Troopin' !
Ed Mc.
Almost Joe Isuzu

Have thanks: 205 times

Postby squatch » Tue Oct 27, 2015 11:50 am

I read about the Phosphoric acid as well. I had a couple of gallons of vinegar on hand so that's what I used. I also discovered that acetone cuts varnish in the tank like nothing I've ever seen.
viewtopic.php?t=12172
squatch
I am the Stig

Postby T89 » Wed Oct 28, 2015 3:06 pm

That turned out great. I need to do this to the gas tank out of my Ford Falcon. Hasn't run since 1997 and my goal is to get it road worthy by next summer. So I would be interested in how your larger gas tank turns out.
1989 Isuzu Trooper 2.6 5-Speed
T89
Mud King

Have thanks: 27 times

Postby N law » Wed Oct 28, 2015 5:22 pm

I've cleaned a few tanks on projects that I've resurrected. When I first started doing it, I used acetone to remove the varnish and phosphoric acid (from the pool aisle at Lowes) to clean the rust. I've tried the POR15 liner, which had mixed reviews, but recently I've used the Red Kote. I like that it stays a little pliable. The last one I did was on the TNHP Litter Bug PR vehicle. All the photos I took of the sealer in the tank looked like colonoscopy photos. I'll have to try to the vinegar trick. Oddly enough, a coworker just recommended vinegar for removing rust, even saying that he could restore bike chains in vinegar after some links rusted together.

The important thing is: What did you learn? :wink:
99 VX
96 Rodeo Build thread
1975 FJ40
69 Beetle
84 Westfalia
70 VW bus turned camper
86 VW Diesel Golf
07 Frontier V6 6 speed
1999 4Runner Limitee- wife's
2004 Genuine Stella Scooter
N law
Almost Joe Isuzu

Have thanks: 62 times

Postby Hack » Wed Oct 28, 2015 6:06 pm

That stuff looks like blood. Hope it did the trick!
Mario

Daily Driver: 1995 Trooper Limited, Auto, 3.2L DOHC, Rear LSD, HD Torsion Bars, Moog Cc812s, Cooper Discoverer A/T3 245/70-16
Trail Truck: 2001 Amigo, Auto, 3.2L, Rear LSD, Front Aussie Locker, DOR Drop Dif, HD Torsion Bars, OME 912s, BFG M/T KA2 33x10.5R15
RIP: 1988 Troop 2.6L 5spd. Burnt valve(s). Damaged frame. Parted out. Sent to crusher.
RIP: 1998 4WD Rodeo, Auto, 3.2L -- Ruined by Daughter #1 with Russian assistance. Parted out. Sent to crusher.
RIP: 1989 Troop 2.6L 5spd --- Stripped of all good parts. Body and rotted frame sent to the crusher.
RIP: 1999 2WD Amigo, Auto, 3.2L -- Engine blown and body damaged by Daughter #2. Parted out. Sent to crusher.
Hack
I am the Stig

Have thanks: 128 times

Postby squatch » Wed Oct 28, 2015 11:30 pm

N law no real lesson here. I know better than to leave gas in a tank. It just somehow got forgotten. About 5 or 6 years ago!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11

Blood Red Candy Apple. :lol:
viewtopic.php?t=12172
squatch
I am the Stig

Postby N law » Mon Nov 02, 2015 2:17 pm

I thought about this thread the end of last week. I stopped by our local ReStore (habitat for humanity's building materials thrift store, which is awesome and you should find your local one) and they had two boat gas tanks sitting outside with some gas in them. One was metal and one was a funky shaped plastic on, but both were about 6 gallon sized. They were priceless because I'm sure they wanted to toss them, but they were stuck with the liability of the gas still in them, so I inquired and got them for $5 each. When I cracked the top on the metal one, it was nasty, so I'll pick up some vinegar and acetone to clear it out. Thanks for the tip!
99 VX
96 Rodeo Build thread
1975 FJ40
69 Beetle
84 Westfalia
70 VW bus turned camper
86 VW Diesel Golf
07 Frontier V6 6 speed
1999 4Runner Limitee- wife's
2004 Genuine Stella Scooter
N law
Almost Joe Isuzu