Does your air tool not spin up?

For all things chrome plated and greasy that don't mount to the truck

Moderator: Staff

Does your air tool not spin up?

Postby Selahdoor » Mon Feb 16, 2015 5:52 pm

I have a cheapo harbor freight lugnut tool. Air impact wrench.

It's getting a bit long in the tooth, from age, not wear and tear. I don't use it all that much.

A while back, it was getting slow, but I needed to use it. Decided to add a bunch more oil to it. Couldn't find my air tool oil. So I used 3-in-1 oil.

Big mistake.

It stopped working immediately.

Pull the trigger, and it spits air. That's all.

I finished that job without an air impact.

Fast forward to yesterday. I decided that I really needed the air impact, to be sure that the balancer is on there snug as it can be. Got out the tool, and of course it still didn't work.

So I proceeded to do a bunch of stuff that hopefully I can save you from doing.

I completely dismantled it and cleaned up the vanes and all the rest of the moving parts. Oiled everything, (with the correct oil.). Put it back together, and it still doesn't work.

Sprayed brake cleaner into the air fitting, filling it up. Then connected it, and blew that through it. Did that several times, to try to clean up any parts that I was not able to get to.

FILLED the fitting with the correct oil several times, and ran through that, several times. (Don't run the brake cleaner through, and then NOT run the oil through immediately after giving it a chance to halfway dry inside.)(Brake cleaner will not leave a residue. Other cleaners will.)

Ok, still no workee. Filled the fitting completely full of oil again, and just let it sit with the fitting facing up, all night, to let the oil slowly work it's way through.

~~~

Today, if it still didn't work, my plan was to try two different things.

1. Take the back off of it once again, and this time, oil the heck out of EVERY internal part, with the correct oil. Then put it back together and try again.

2. Or simply fill the fitting with oil again, hook up the air, pull the trigger and hold it... and get the tool spinning up, using another tool. In this case, my cordless impact. (The cordless is worthless on things like lugnuts or the harmonic balancer. But it spun the air tool up to speed, nicely.)

~~~

It still didn't work, so I tried the easy option number 2, first.

Bingo! Once I had the air tool up to speed for about 30 seconds, with all that good oil flowing through, and the air flowing... it started working again! Now I have a working air impact wrench again.

If it ever stops working again, I'll just add oil, and spin it up with the other tool again.

~~~

All that to say, if it ever happens to you, that your air impact spits air and doesn't spin...

Add the correct air tool oil to the air hose fitting. Or marvel mystery oil. Or even ATF. Do that a couple times. Filling it completely, each time. That will blow plenty of oil into the tool.

Then do it one last time, hold the trigger, and spin the tool up to speed with a different tool. It just may be the most simple fix ever!

One thing... When you spin it up with the other tool... make sure you have them both set so that you are spinning the correct direction. If the air tool is in forward, set the other tool in reverse. And vise-versa.

This will probably get a bit messy, so have some rags handy. And hopefully this will keep you from having to completely disassemble your air impact, to get it going again.
-Jeff
1988 Trooper LS. 4ZE1. mua5.

How can I help you or make you laugh today?

For this post the author Selahdoor was thanked by:
DSUZU
Selahdoor
Forum Admin

Have thanks: 165 times

Sponsor

Re: Does your air tool not spin up?

Postby gb89amigo » Mon Feb 16, 2015 6:41 pm

Jeff,

Not trying to be insulting, but are you sure your compressor is supplying adequate pressure for the tool? No blockage in hose, compressor to tool? Just a thought!
Had a similar problem once, turned out to be compacted debris in compressor hose! Ruined hose to find that out, but new hose and everything worked!

Cheers,

GB
'89 Amigo XS RWD, 4ZE1, MUA5, HC6 (Rear Wheel Drive, 2.6L Fuel Injected, 5 spd trans f/ 2.6L and up, 4.56:1 differential 2WD/4WD)
Future: Install the "Big Brake" upgrade, so I don't break things! . Acquired '95 V6 Passport/Rodeo front rotors (11.04") and assemblies. Need to pull G80/LSD rear from '92-'97 Trooper.
'90 Amigo 4WD, Parts car

More FUN!!! :)
gb89amigo
Zu Royalty

Have thanks: 117 times

Postby Selahdoor » Mon Feb 16, 2015 8:49 pm

No problem with either the compressor or the hose.
-Jeff

Selahdoor
Forum Admin

Postby DSUZU » Sat Mar 07, 2015 10:29 am

Good suggestion Jeff. I never thought about using another tool to spin one to circulate the oil. Air tools do not like to sit unused for long periods of time.
On a separate note, we had an old piece of crap 3/4'' drive impact at work. It was shot and didn't even have the power of a decent 1/2" impact. They kept sending it out for repair, and it kept coming back "fixed", but still lacking power (I think we were getting "screwed" on the repairs). I figured I'd try to kill it. Sprayed brake cleaner in it and ran it - still lived. Put battery acid in it and left it on my bench for a week - still lived. Go figure, if I'd done any of that to a good one, it'd be dead. Zombie air impact. It never did have any power, and the powers that be finally did get a replacement. Dennis
1991 LS Trooper 2.8 V6 5 speed conversion (Sold)
1989 LS Spacecab 2.6 5 speed 4x4 manual hubs, Rodeo torsion bars, extended shackles, 2" lift, K&N airfilter (drop in), dump bed conversion, burgundy interior change, warn brush bar.
Previously owned: 1987 Trooper II LS, 1989 Trooper (parts only), 1994 Trooper 3.2 Auto, 1997 Rodeo 2.6 5 speed, 1993 shortbed pickup 2.3 (project - sold) 1992 Rodeo 4x4 LS (parts car, devoured by Spacecab needs) plus some 70 plus other non Isuzu vehicles over the years.

http://forum.planetisuzoo.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=64060

The American dream is getting farther and farther away from the American.

If your wife has 5.00, and you have 20.00, your wife has...25.00

"Water is one of the greatest essentials of life. Without water, you can't make coffee."
DSUZU
I am the Stig

Have thanks: 624 times

Postby Selahdoor » Sat Mar 07, 2015 1:37 pm

I'd be curious to find out the results if you had another tool like that, and tried this.

Dump in a bunch of oil. (Like I said, the right stuff or MMO or ATF.)

Connect to the air, pull the trigger... And even if it is spinning on it's own, spin it with another tool that is supposed to spin just as fast, and just keep spinning it for a bit. (Both tools being powered at the same time.)

I do think the biggest problem with these sorts of tools is buildup of old oil. It gets sligthly thicker in areas, when the tool sits. The tool may even run, but it never runs at optimum, because the vanes are not sliding as easily as they should, nor making the kind of seal they should.

Then the tool needs to be run at it's highest speed for a bit, with lots of new oil in it, to get the vanes to work correctly. And MAKING it spin it's fastest for a while, by using another tool, while powering this one... Is the best way to get those vanes working right again. Just running the tool by itself and seeing that it spins, isn't good enough.

It would take pages of type, here, for me to explain on the page, what I so easily see and understand in the 3d image of the insides of the tools, in my head. And in my head, I just see the problem, and deal with it, without using all those words. LOL
-Jeff

Selahdoor
Forum Admin

Return to Tool & Shop