My small machine shop

For all things chrome plated and greasy that don't mount to the truck

Moderator: Staff

My small machine shop

Postby sky scraper » Sat Jan 24, 2015 9:17 pm

Hello all, I thought i'd show some pics of my super small machine shop, Its all bench top stuff but they work really well. I have access to a Bridgeport and a large Clausing lathe at work for the big stuff. Hope you enjoy thanx for looking.
Sky Scraper.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
sky scraper
Drives in Mud

Have thanks: 6 times

Sponsor

Re: My small machine shop

Postby Smiff 24 » Sun Jan 25, 2015 8:32 pm

Nice machinery there, I especially like the lathe n mill.
Is the lathe an atlas ?
Smiff 24
Drives on Pavement

Have thanks: 0 time

Postby Cronk » Mon Jan 26, 2015 12:02 am

Very nice!
Cronk
Subscriber

Have thanks: 89 times

Postby sky scraper » Mon Jan 26, 2015 7:38 pm

Thanx Gentlemen, yes its an Atlas lathe
sky scraper
Drives in Mud

Postby wmorrisiii » Wed Jan 28, 2015 10:58 pm

Sweet setup! Everything looks clean and neat too, which always appeals to me.
Willie's 1990 Trooper LS, 2.8L
The Duck Marsh Debutante

Willie's 1987 Trooper LS, 2.3L
The Coonhound
wmorrisiii
Almost Joe Isuzu

Have thanks: 177 times

Postby JFoster » Tue Feb 10, 2015 11:45 pm

Nice set up. I need some small aluminum spacers machined. If this is something you would interested in shoot me a PM. Thanks
JFoster
Drives in Mud

Have thanks: 5 times

Postby sky scraper » Thu Feb 12, 2015 7:51 pm

Hey JFoster , I sent you a pm not sure if I did it right. Check and see , let me know.
sky scraper
Drives in Mud

Postby wesharris » Thu Apr 23, 2015 9:30 pm

Awesome shop man , I'm digging that place I wish I could spend a whole winter in a shop like that with someone that knows and can teach I always loved that kinda stuff
1990 trooper 2.6 msd6al ignition system msd turned "out to junk" blaster ll coil accel wires iridium NGK plugs 5 speed new head brake rotors and brakes 16" wheels new tires. new axles new clutch,flywheel,clutch master and slave cylinder all new ball joints 95 trooper front seats and turbo coming soon
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=65233
wesharris
Zu Royalty

Have thanks: 28 times

Postby sky scraper » Thu Apr 23, 2015 10:14 pm

Thanx , I have been a machinist for almost 30 years now, it's a sickness ..... A real sickness. I couldn't be happy with just using the really nice machinery at work any time I wanted or needed, I had to buy these machines for home! Let me tell you that although the machines can be rather spendy , they are cheap compared to buying the tooling and accessory's that a person such as you or I would like to have. However , that being said It's worth every cent that I spend on the stuff especially when people like the way cool stuff you can make. Example the cool twin stick transfer case shifter I made for my cj5, and countless other cool parts. I encourage any one that is interested do what you have to do to learn it.You won't be disappointed . Besides machinists are a dying breed, we need more!
sky scraper
Drives in Mud

Postby wesharris » Sat Apr 25, 2015 2:28 am

Hey sky could a man turn a turkey pot call on a lathe like that
1990 trooper 2.6 msd6al ignition system msd turned "out to junk" blaster ll coil accel wires iridium NGK plugs 5 speed new head brake rotors and brakes 16" wheels new tires. new axles new clutch,flywheel,clutch master and slave cylinder all new ball joints 95 trooper front seats and turbo coming soon
wesharris
Zu Royalty

Postby sky scraper » Sat Apr 25, 2015 12:06 pm

That's the point, you can make any thing you want with a mill and lathe. However if you are making them out of wood it is better in my opinion to use a wood lathe, it can be done on a metal lathe but you have to clean the change gears and feed mechanism after every use. You can buy a wood lathe on Craigs really cheap but you are limited to just making your calls and such, you wouldn't be able to turn metal on it. Except for my welder I bought all of my stuff off of Craigs list, I have a lathe, mill, drill press ,band saw, scroll saw , bench grinder , tool grinder, arbor press, disk sander, welder and ,tool chest. And only spent approximately 3 grand, in my opinion that's pretty good considering there isn't much I cant do here at the house.Tubing bender would be my next tool. Save your money buy tools and practice. You cant go wrong.
Sky Scraper.
sky scraper
Drives in Mud

Postby wesharris » Sat Apr 25, 2015 6:52 pm

Great advice for anyone who likes this type of stuff I'm not a call maker but I do use several custom made pot&box calls. I think they sound much better than most commercially available calls at Walmart
Once again I'm green with envy although hopefully not much longer
wesharris
Zu Royalty

Postby HoldFastTx » Tue May 19, 2015 7:05 am

Bad*'#. I can only hope to get my garage back. Apt now. I have ever tool my wife will allow here, the rest w/ friends & storage. (She did give me the walk-in. I bet you just made slot of new pals. Get an alarm/ big dog system. Recently saw a member here with a decent setup get robbed of everything. Crooks watch patterns and they see us come and go w/ tools and material. Anyway, I hate you ( jk) and put that stuff to use. I like the clean organization. Take care.
95 Trooper LS 3.2sohc auto/4wd 130k (stock, daily driver/slow project)
92 Chevy G20 Mark III swb, 4.3 v6, 4L60e, wheelchair lift, 70k orig.(running project)
HoldFastTx
Drives on Gravel

Postby sky scraper » Tue May 19, 2015 9:19 pm

Thanx Hold , Unfortunately I don't have a garage that I work in it's just a car port all of my machinery is in a secure tool shed . However I came to the conclusion that I need more room , my machine shop is full. The new plan is to put a 10 x 20 building in the back yard with a 16 x 25 concrete pad in front of it with a large (and tall) awning over the top. My wife says that we have a lot of toys and need to do something about the parking . (At least she din't say to get rid of them) I think with a pad that big I should be able to park my Chevelle, Scout, Cj5, and Rodeo and still have room to work, I hope. Get a full size mill and lathe and load up the building with the rest of the stuff, could be a pretty nice set up I think. It won't happen over night but at least I can work towards it. Have a good evening, I'll post pics with progress thanx.
Sky Scraper.
sky scraper
Drives in Mud

Postby HoldFastTx » Tue May 19, 2015 11:22 pm

I also like the fact that you have some quality tools and didn't fill in your space with a pile of freshly painted scrap from Harbor Fright (I know) or Northern. I too know what it's like to work with real tools. I do commercial/industrial plumbing/pipefitting and mechanical contracting.(UA and Local 68 member). Everything from Nukes to schools. The cheaper tools have their place but when you work with the the good stuff its frustrating to work with inferior Chinese rubbish. My father owns a small structural steel supply company and its nice to use his fab shop, steel, ss, and aluminum at cost , not to mention scrap yard, when I need it. I helped build it so he kinda has to let me. I still have a small Lincoln wire feeder, 35 year old cracker box and a Miller plasma. We have better stuff at work but I steer clear of our offices. I've always had respect for real machinists and millwrights, something I've never had much experience with but its always fascinated me. I can't tell you the time we have been down or lead time spent waiting on a part that could have been fabed in a half day. I broke a large specialized heat treated bit for a broach in the country one day. 1 week lead time. Had a local machinist, 65 year old man turn out one in a few hours. Everyone now seems to only run a cnc. What is a good lathe to start out on. I work cars, firearms, and some decorative things ,too. What year is your chevelle? Recently sold an all orig '65 impala 2dr, 327, 2sp glide, icebox white, orig. Blue int. Not a day goes by that I regret that one. Had a few Novas too. Keep it up and take care
92 Chevy G20 Mark III swb, 4.3 v6, 4L60e, wheelchair lift, 70k orig.(running project)
HoldFastTx
Drives on Gravel

Postby sky scraper » Wed May 20, 2015 7:51 pm

Yes I know what you mean about good tools, However they are expensive. As far as a good lathe, hmmm let's see , I prefer a Clausing they are nice , hold tolerances etc. but are rather large and expensive. If you have the room you cant go wrong. If you are going to shop Craigs list look for an Atlas , or Logan, those are good starter lathes . Try to find something in the 12x36 or 12x42 size range. That size you can make almost anything you would need for your automotive projects and it's long enough to put a gun barrel if needed. Also in that size range they are more than likely 110 volts for power maybe 220 but nothing in 3 phase. Here in AZ. you can find them for anywhere around 600.00 bucks and up. Remember to look for one that has a stand included or have a good heavy bench that is straight and flat to bolt it to, if you are in a high humidity area you might want a steel bench. Also try to find one with a quick change gear box, it will make life easier if you are going to make threads like on the end of a barrel or something like that. And that's about it except try to find one with as much tooling included as possible , that stuff is expensive as well. Now for the Chevelle It's a 1970 has a 468 with 1050 Dominator with ported heads and intake manifold , TH400 trans with a brake and 8 inch converter, rear end 12 bolt with 4.56's and a spool. The thing is a hand full to drive and easy to get in trouble with. Thanx for the interest, if you have any questions about machinery fire away any time. Good talking to ya.

Sky Scraper.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
sky scraper
Drives in Mud

Postby HoldFastTx » Thu May 21, 2015 5:48 am

Gorgeous Chevelle. Thanks for the info. I think I could definitely justify $600 to the wife then slowly add what I needed as I went. She is a pretty little thing but has an uncanny way if humbling me and get head friends when we are tearing into something. Several times she has brought up suggestions when we were stumped and we used to dismiss het with rolled eyes saying , " yeah, yeah" until we started realizing shes usually right. She knows nothing, but us naturally mechanically inclined and will crawl under a car faster than me. Imma keep her. My last Nova had the same paint scheme except B&W. 383, m22 rock crusher, 9in e/4.10s, dart heads, holley 750 double, edle,ladder bars, crager ss. It was thrown together with friends old parts. Started as a'76 coupe with a 305 bought from an elderly lady. It ran high 12s. Not a show queen but alot of fun.Thanks again.
HoldFastTx
Drives on Gravel

Postby itsmehb » Tue May 26, 2015 6:20 am

Just happened on this post. Hadn't seen it before. Very nice set up. I took machine shop in high school many years ago. Although I was an aircraft mechanic the skills I learned in school helped me during my chosen profession and now into retirement. I sure could have used a metal cutting power band saw when I made these blocking plates for my carb conversion. 1/4 inch flat stock with lots of hack sawing. Do you have a power band saw to cut metal?
1990 Amigo, 2.3 5 speed (sold)
1991 Pick up (long gone)
2000 Amigo, 2.2 5 speed(sold)
1985 Trooper 1.9 4 speed (sent back to KS)
1989 Trooper RS 2.6 5 spd. Red

We get too soon old and too late smart!
itsmehb
I am the Stig

Have thanks: 201 times

Postby sky scraper » Tue May 26, 2015 11:26 pm

Yes sir, I have a band saw and a metal cutting scroll saw. I couldn't imagine doing that with a hack saw, I have to say nice work though. Also if you need any thing like that done let me know , I would be glad to help you ( or any one for that matter) out. Thanx for the interest. Have a good evening.
sky scraper
Drives in Mud

Postby Smiff 24 » Sat Dec 19, 2015 10:03 am

Love the mill, I do a lot of small projects that I could use a mill that size.
Smiff 24
Drives on Pavement

Return to Tool & Shop