Isuzu SUV Forum banner

What chain saw do you have?

37K views 62 replies 30 participants last post by  totten 
#1 ·
Well after 12 year of no maintenance and much abuse my Poulan 2150 is just now giving me problems. The fuel line have deteriorated so I replaced two of them but must of got some dirt in the carb and now its not starting and running right even after cleaning it out could have a air leak from not using new gaskets.

I'm considering getting another cheap saw like Poulan or Ryobi or maybe spend a little more on a better name brand. Let me know what how you all like the saw you use.

#2 ·
Husqvarna is my preferred brand.

I picked up a slightly used 60cc 2-stroke after katrina for about $250. yes, i know, that's expensive for a used chainsaw.
but this thing is massive, 24" bar, plenty of power. when i lived in alabama, my father and I cleared 16 acres, the chainsaw just kept taking a beating.
I still have it, and i'm about to use it to clean up isaac's mess tomorrow :D

#4 ·
I have a 30 year old Homelite EZ...since you asked.

#5 ·
Old Husky's here also. 266 and 277, I think. Finally wore the 266 out last winter. While trying to find parts(some are NLA :( ) I picked up the 277. Believe I gave $300, which I felt was a fair price, given the cost of a new one!

#6 ·
If you're looking for a similar 16-18" homeowner type saw I can vouch for the Stihl 025.
I've had mine for well more than a decade and it cuts plenty of firewood, deadfall and even some construction timbers.
Get a decent rip chain and run it dry of fuel when you're not using it.

#7 ·
I have a 7-8 year old Husqvarna 141 with a 16" bar. One of the smaller models Husky used to make. The only problem I ever have with it is if I use gas with the ethanol additive. Then it gets finicky and makes it hard to start. Otherwise, it's a great little saw. And I always run it dry before it's put away.

#9 ·
I do think the ethanol is having an effect on the saw, even the gas cap is tight must of been swollen from the new gas we have now. Well After taking the carb apart today found it clogged and missing a screen, so I'm going to get a carb rebuild kit and new in tank fuel filter, that should get it going.
Still like to get a bigger saw, if I can find a good used saw and refurbish it that maybe the way to go. Some how I feel unprepared not having a working saw on hand.

#10 ·
ArdWrknTrk said:
If you're looking for a similar 16-18" homeowner type saw I can vouch for the Stihl 025.
I've had mine for well more than a decade and it cuts plenty of firewood, deadfall and even some construction timbers.
Get a decent rip chain and run it dry of fuel when you're not using it.
This man knows what he is talking about! I have 4 chain saws 2 older Poulans that are worn out and a 20" Stihl 029 farm boss as my big saw. 2 years ago I bought a Stihl MS250. New emissions version of the above. 2 stroke saw. It has an 18' bar and uses the bigger 325" chain. `Same as my big saw. 16" and smaller use the smaller "pico" chain. Stihl considers it to be a "homeowners saw" but it's more than good enough for most folks. What a little cutting machine! :D It's lighter than any of my Poulans and with the bigger chain cuts dang near anything my big saw will but at seemingly 1/2 the weight. I'm going to buy another I've been so impressed with it. Get a case, a couple of spare chains and a sharpening kit. Learn how to sharpen with a file. Always use the Stihl parts and oil and it will last a long time and do plenty of work for you. Don't go with a smaller saw in the same line. They are all the same engine with different displacement so you might as well buy the most powerful one. Otherwise exactly he same per my local dealer.

I always pour the fuel back in the can when I'm done with it and then start it till it dies. No probs with fuel at all. If your saw fuel sits around very long run it in the lawn mower. The little bit of 50:1 won't hurt a thing. Stihl want premium fuel but will run on regular. Just like all small equipment these days use fresh fuel. I have gone to Stihl for all of my power equipt. now all my saws, boats, weedwacker run on the same 50:1 mix! My Stihl weedwacker is 10 years old and I just put the 1st new cutting line head on it. It replaced a POS Ryobi that didn't even last a season. Husky and Echo also make good saws and OPE. Stay away from the chain store junk. Poulan used to make good saws. Now they make trash that won't run out of the box.

#12 ·
I have a husky 455 rancher 18". Great saw, has plenty of power to cut through anything I have tried. Always starts right up on the second pull and I don't take care of it at all. If I had to do it over again I would definitely buy a husky in a heartbeat. But I still would want the stihl. LOL. Stihls make more power and weigh less for comparable models. Weight is a BIG thing to consider when looking for a saw that will be used frequently or for extended periods of time. Only problem is they cost a lot. But I'd imagine the extra cost is worth it.

#14 ·
I have an old McCullough wild cat. 18" bar I believe. Picked it up not running for $15 a few summers ago. Was my first experience with tearing down and rebuilding something with an engine. Took it down to the block and cleaned every piece meticulously. This was a HUGE mistake because after the first use, all my detail work was hardly even noticeable. Even though its a cheap saw, it gets the job done and is one of our most reliable starters.

#18 ·
I have the 20" ryobi and it has worked well for home use. The reason i bought it was that every a-hole in bham post April 27 tornados returned their "broken" saws convienetly after their yard was cleaned up. I was able to buy a gently "broken" one for $100. Is it a Husky? No but for light duty use, its great.

#19 ·
slainer said:
Went to look at the MS250 today, I like it. The guys at the shop told me that they run promos for a free case in mid Oct, I think I can wait till they.
That's the way I bought mine. Sounds like you found a good dealer. No sweat off their brow if you wait for the promo. You'll have to do a mail in deal for the case and then they mail it to you. It's a nice case. My local dealer does a 2 for 1 saw chain sale every November. I buy 2 for each saw every time they are on sale. $70 worth of chains for $35! Can't beat that.I recommend the sharpening kit with the files and guides for your specific chain. It fits in the case. It only takes about 3 strokes a tooth to keep them sharp in the field. Always use Stihl bar oil. Some of the generic stuff is too thick and won't feed well. I have a little 1 gallon gas can for my saws. You can cut for days on 1 gallon with that saw.

Compared to the pro gear that is a cheap saw. But for us weekend warriors I've been real impressed with mine. A real Stihl for box store price. Start off with the "green" anti kick chains till you learn the saw. They are the safest and cut fine. They make more agrressive chains for it as well.

I'm all for buying used equipment but with a chainsaw I want new. You get the latest safety stuff that way. This saw will most likely still be running like a champ 10 years from now. That's worth the cost. Most of the used stuff out there is for sale for a reason. Plain worn out.

#20 ·
Yea Mark, i agree with you on used saw are usually worn out. Most of the used saw I see on Craigs List look well worn for $200 or lightly used $250 but a brand new saw for $299 plus tax. Maybe a lager saw would be a better deal used as they go for more money to begin with.
Mark, what has me confused is the brochure they list two pitches, 3/8 for the 9 tooth bar and .325 for the 11 tooth bar, I amuse you have the latter bar on your saw? I really would like to start off fresh with a good saw, chain/bar and keep them all maintained and sharpened properly.

#21 ·
I'll cast another vote for Husqvarna.

My father, brother and I ran a firewood business for a few years (buying truckloads of lodgepole pine, bucking and splitting it and selling it by the cord local)
'
We use a couple Husqvarna saws (don't remember model but one of the bigger ones) with Oregon 28" professional series bars and chains. With proper maintenance we never had any issues with them.

#22 ·
slainer said:
Yea Mark, i agree with you on used saw are usually worn out. Most of the used saw I see on Craigs List look well worn for $200 or lightly used $250 but a brand new saw for $299 plus tax. Maybe a lager saw would be a better deal used as they go for more money to begin with.
Mark, what has me confused is the brochure they list two pitches, 3/8 for the 9 tooth bar and .325 for the 11 tooth bar, I amuse you have the latter bar on your saw? I really would like to start off fresh with a good saw, chain/bar and keep them all maintained and sharpened properly.
I think they may have changed specs since I got mine but pretty sure I have what is recomended on this page. When I got mine the norm was a 16" bar. The 18" was an upgrade. Pretty sure both of my saws use the .325 chain. I would go with Stihl recomended. They know what works best with their saws.
http://www.stihlusa.com/products/chain- ... aws/ms250/ click specs.

Just a quick word about Stihls. They are high compression saws and can kick you with the pull cord. There is a reason some models come with a stretchy non kick pull start. You ride bikes you know what I mean. Occasionally when cold my big saw will kick and pull the cord out of your hand. The payback is a powerful saw for it's size. Neither of mine is a 1 pull starter when cold and each has it's own personality. 2 pulls full choke, then starts 1 pull on 1/2 choke kind of thing. once warm no issue at all. But neither is a hard to start saw either. Always start with the chain brake locked.

#23 ·
Well as luck would have it I found a used Husqavarna 55 very close to my house, with 12 good chains, case, brand new top end 20" and 18" bars for $50. Of course it need to be taken apart and correct some mistakes to make it run, but I got it running good. Funny thing is the guy I bought the saw from got a new stilh MS250c as a replacement for the Husqavarna.

#26 ·
Our dealership is a Husqvarna dealer. We used to be a Homelite dealership before Homelite sold out to John Deere, then good 'ol John Deere FIRED EVERY SINGLE PERSON IN THE HOMELITE COMPANY, packed up ALL AMERICAN factories, shipped EVERYTHING to Mexico, then sold off the ashes of the old Homelite company to RIOBI. Now the new "Homelite" produtcs are made in CHINA. BUYER BEWARE!!!!

As to my own personal chainsaws, I have a very old Homelite Super2 w. 14" 3/8 low profile chain, a Husqvarna 131 w. 14" .325 chain, a Husqvarna 55 Rancher w. 16" 3/8 standard chain + an extra 18" bar/chain combo, and a Sthil MS280 w. 20" bar.
Of all the saws I have sold over the past 12 years, the most "Bang for the buck" and most reliable of all of them has been the 55 Rancer. ( Now called the 455 Rancher) And the 460 Rancher is one bad *** mother of a saw with a 20" bar! BUT, it is also $450 though. You get what you pay for.
Nothing against Sthil, I LOVE the OLD 029's, but this new model MS280 has been an absolute POS!
The old wore out Husq. 55 Rancher makes 3 cuts on the same log to every 2 cuts with the Sthil MS280. There is just that much speed/power difference.
By the hp/chain speed ratings, the Sthil SHOULD BE FASTER. But it is not. It simply just cant / wont keep up with the old wore out Husqvarna! :?
And buy the way, if you are wondering WHY I have a Sthil MS280, even though I am a Husq, dealer, the Sthil was 6 months old and came with the house we bought. :p

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.