Isuzu SUV Forum banner

The start of my A/C equipment buildup

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  SurferJoe 
#1 ·
Ever since I took and passed my EPA test for handling refrigerants, and working as a lab tech for my college working hands on with all our a/c and other equipment, I caught the bug.

First thing was a set of hoses:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0002460994

Next will be a Yellow Jacket Series 41 R-12/22/502 manifold from our local supplier (school account=big discount!). Saved over $50 getting the hoses on Ebay though, absolutely had to have ABB connectors. Store wanted $90 with the discount for a set of hoses, not even Y/J hoses. I can live with $43 hoses as often as I'll be using them anyway. The manifold with 3 1/8" gauges will be about $70+-.

After that I'll get a micron gauge, then a weigh scale, and who knows from there.

I'm REALLY desperate to get the dry nitrogen out of my system and put some CFC12 in and get cooling, esp. with the weather we've been having.

Sorry for the crazy post, long day of work and family drama, really need a drink.

See less See more
#2 ·
I hardly ever use my 3 hose manifold. I have a 4 way and love it. Would like to get another one and retire the old 3 hose set. I also use standard hoses with Yellow Jacket SealRight quick couplers instead of hoses with them built in. More options.

Unless you have some r-12 stashed you wont get any (or pay a fortune from someone thats been hiding it) since making it was banned in 1994. There are supposedly some drop in replacements now but I've never used them. Make sure you know what they are made of though. A lot are blended and contain propane or butane (both great refrigerants, just kind of flammable).

Make sure you do a good leak check. Blended refrigerants tend to seperate when they leak out. Also pull a good vacuum.

Oh yeah, in 25 yrs of hvac work I have never used a micron gauge :mrgreen: the digital scale has been very useful though.

#3 ·
There are still stockpiles, and I can get some on ebay and local stores that still have a supply. No such thing as a drop in though, each needs a completely clean system and each blend needs its own fittings and a dedicated recovery system.

I'm only doing mobile a/c work on the side so I don't need anything fancy, I wanted a Brute II but no way I could afford that.

I got the built in Sealrights to keep things simple and to minimize the possibility of leaks.

Thanks for the input though, I hoped you'd pop in because you've been doing this forever!

#4 ·
I have a set of gauges and hoses for R12, 502 and the other gasses but NOT R134a.

Never used, like I said but I lost the original bubble-plastic formed box years ago and they have lived perfectly sealed in a toolbox. The hoses are flexible and un-greasy and only have my current paw prints on them checking them out.

The gauge faces haven't even seen sunshine...they are virgins.

Want pixs?

I've got a lot of adapters, 90º micros and even have a delay liquid charge cylinder.

Let me know.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.