Isuzu SUV Forum banner

IR thermometer opinions, please

6K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  lowzone 
#1 ·
i just discovered this (new?) Tool&Shop posting category...
please see thread in General category above

which infrared thermometer? how cheap is too cheap?
http://forum.planetisuzoo.com/viewtopic.php?t=13751

do you have one? what's a good one and how 'good' does it have to be for auto air conditioning tshooting and other old trooper diagnostic fun and games.

how have you used yours?
tad... in your Tool winners and losers post, you mention you have one that you like, what brand model etc. any wishes if you were to buy another one?

thanks
i want to get one soon!

//bc

#2 ·
I went with the cheapest one from Harbor Freight.
Worked great but the kids kept playing with it. Now one of their POS little dirtbag friends stole it.

#3 ·
I bought a Snap-On RTEMP2PB w/o laser. It was on the truck and I had more money than brains.

I also own MAC Tools immersion style 'Heat Probe'.

I bought my son a Raytek with laser for a lot less.

#5 ·
trooperbc said:
bendorfold -- which raytek model did you get, and where?

and how has he (or you) used it?
like it?
any druthers?

thanks

//bc
I don't remember the model. I doubt they make it anymore, it was 4 or 5 years ago.

We both still use both the Snap-on and Raytek. If I were going to buy another, it would be Raytek.

I think I bought the Raytek for an online liquidator. I think it was http://www.geeks.com/products.asp?cat=GDT They don't have one right now. If you find anything there you like (and it doesn't have a colored 'Special' flag under the price) use gotapex in the discount code area during checkout for an additional 10% off.

We both use them for troubleshooting desktop/tower computer components, exhaust manifold temps (hot or cold cylinders) and finding hot/cold air leaks in houses.

The laser beam drives cats crazy.

#6 ·
bendorfold thanks for the replies and tip on geeks.com

have you heard of this place, metersuperstore or SRS Market Solutions Inc. ? it seems like it might be in your neck of the woods, though i'm not getting any google results for a brick and mortar.

metersuperstore.com . An SRS Markets company.
SRS Market Solutions Inc. PO Box 77 Eagleville, Pa 19408

metersuperstore seems to have the lowest prices on fluke, and maybe others, but i'm a bit antsy dealing with an unknown. . .

for playing, i assume; but i'm thinking military laser for the squirrels ;)
thanks
//bc

#7 ·
trooperbc said:
have you heard of this place, metersuperstore or SRS Market Solutions Inc. ? it seems like it might be in your neck of the woods, though i'm not getting any google results for a brick and mortar.

metersuperstore.com . An SRS Markets company.
SRS Market Solutions Inc. PO Box 77 Eagleville, Pa 19408

metersuperstore seems to have the lowest prices on fluke, and maybe others, but i'm a bit antsy dealing with an unknown. . .
It looks like it's a 'drop ship' type business. The address shows up on Yahoo Maps, but not on Google Maps. It's near Trooper, PA. about a 2 hr. round trip and $5 in tolls from me.

for playing, i assume; but i'm thinking military laser for the squirrels ;)
Yes, for teasing/tormenting or playing with cats. They seem to see things we don't.

For squirrels, there is always the Rail Gun.

#8 ·
thanks for the replies.
bendorfold said:
.... It's near Trooper, PA. about a 2 hr. round trip and $5 in tolls from me.
so it sounds like it's just a couple of miles down the road... :)

in case you missed it, JLEMOND gave a pretty good rundown list of ways he uses his IR thermometer to help diagnose problems
http://forum.planetisuzoo.com/viewtopic ... b5ba02b003

//bc

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.