1986 Isuzu Trooper - Diesel 4 door - Sale Pending

This is the place to post if you have something to sell or are in need of a part (No commercial posts)

Moderator: Staff

1986 Isuzu Trooper - Diesel 4 door - Sale Pending

Postby NCDiesel » Thu Dec 15, 2016 4:46 pm

Sale pending

I know of you are saying: "If he drops it once, he'll drop it again.". Nope (-: If I can't get this kind of money for the rarest diesel trooper out there (4-door) then I'll just keep it. My wife even agrees! So this will be the one and only price drop - so get your offers ready.

Summary:
Awesome truck that is rock solid, mechanically sound, virtually rust free and worry free. I drive it anywhere and everywhere as far as I want without concern. It starts right up and I let my daughter, wife or whoever drive - that is how solid and dependable it is. Starts immediately on first glow plug cycle above 32 degrees, only need a second glow plug cycle below 32 degrees. Oversize, mild off-road pattern Michelin tires have lots of tread but are several years old. 300K miles on running gear, 150K mostly highway miles on rebuilt engine.

Engine rebuild info:
  • Re-manufactured with 100% isuzu parts and 3rd gen rods
  • Golden Shamrock did the machining and did a beautiful job balancing the engine.
  • Jerry Lemond provided all the 100% authentic Isuzu parts and great advice for the rebuild(By the way - if you are reading Jerry - thanks for all the great contributions to the Isuzu community and my stable of troopers!). Jerry has seen the truck on numerous occasions and has driven the truck. Says it is the smoothest 2.2L diesel he has ever heard or driven. Email him for confirmation.
  • Fuel pump and injectors rebuilt by a commercial Isuzu shop in Greensboro NC at that time.
  • Turbo replaced at 200K Old one was fine but the turbo gods dropped one in my lap for nearly free so I replaced it.

Bonus points:
  • 4-door. Not that many 4-door diesels
  • Aluminum wheels (called snowflake I think??)
  • No rust to speak of
  • Tranny rebuild just 10-20K ago. Used all Isuzu parts from Jerry Lemond as usual.
  • Reams of Documentation for all this work.
  • Meticulously maintained
  • Have Isuzu roof/ski racks for the truck (not installed)
  • Have lots of extra parts.
  • Doesn't burn oil.

Not-so-bonus points:
  • It was involved in a minor accident with the previous owner(probably 20+ years ago), and it was repainted at that time. While this is actually probably the reason it is still virtually rust free; recently a small section of filler is now lifting a bit from the left rear door. See pictures. Its time for a cosmetic restoration in the next few years
  • Freon leaks
  • Horn doesn't work
  • Very slight oil leak

Things that need attention:
Auto hubs need re-greased. They occasionally fail to lock when its real cold.

In short? If you were ever really serious about buying an Isuzu diesel trooper - this is the one you want. Rock solid engine built better than factory (has lasted longer anyways) attached to a virtually problem free truck. Don;t let the miles fool you. This one will be better than any one of them you have dealt with so far.

Also, there is no pressure to buy. $200 deposit will hold it for a week or two. If you come and if you are not absolutely ecstatic, you can just walk away with the deposit returned

Thanks a lot for looking and reading and please feel free to ask questions,

Spencer Yost
I am (as is my truck) located near Winston-Salem NC
Last edited by NCDiesel on Fri Jan 20, 2017 1:27 pm, edited 5 times in total.
NCDiesel
NCDiesel
Drives on Pavement

Have thanks: 0 time

Sponsor

Re: 1986 Isuzu Trooper - Diesel 4 door - $5500

Postby Ed Mc. » Thu Dec 15, 2016 5:44 pm

Hi, Spencer, sounds like a nice rig! Please post some pics and I bet you'll get a good response.........ed
'90 3.4 Troop LS;
'89 Troop RS (Exhaust Valve Challenged), now gone to a Good Home!
Yes, I am a Trooper-Holic!!!
Keep On Troopin' !
Ed Mc.
Almost Joe Isuzu

Have thanks: 211 times

Postby JLEMOND » Fri Dec 16, 2016 11:16 am

Ed Mc. wrote:Hi, Spencer, sounds like a nice rig! Please post some pics and I bet you'll get a good response.........ed

THAT REALLY IS A VERY NICE TROOPER , I HAVE DRIVEN IT AND SEEN IT MANY TIMES , AND IT IS NOT A CONVENTIONAL TROOPER , IT IS NICE AND RUNS LIKE TOP. EXTREMLY SMOOTH, DIESEL, JERRY.
JLEMOND
I am the Stig

Have thanks: 256 times

Postby NCDiesel » Sat Dec 17, 2016 2:43 pm

Thanks Jerry!

Sorry for the delay in pictures, but its been a busy holiday season. But here they are. I didn't detail the truck - it there in all its outdoor glory - just seems more honest to show you how it looks working the hay field, the sawmill or carrying me to work in the snow. It cleans us nicely. I can get more but I imagine pictures on request would be more meaningful. So tell me what you want to see and I'll take a pic and post it.

As another nod to honesty, I tried to get pics of the worst of it. The drivers seat and roof mainly. Th rest is above average as you can see. No falling headliner, etc, I hope you enjoy them!

PS: There is an image of the VIN a few posts down for running a CarFax if you like'

IMG_1017.JPG

IMG_1018.JPG

SideShot.jpg

IMG_1020.JPG

IMG_1021.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by NCDiesel on Sun Dec 18, 2016 5:48 pm, edited 3 times in total.
NCDiesel
NCDiesel
Drives on Pavement

Postby JoeIsuzu » Sat Dec 17, 2016 9:12 pm

Nice Trooper. It sure would be good to have the pics here in this topic. That way, they're with the topic no matter what happens to your personal site. And these postings are valuable, even after the vehicles sell. They're sometimes used set a price when others list their vehicles--or for buyers to use for comparison. They're also used sometimes for insurance valuations. We've seen some insurance companies that had to up their settlement offers because the owners who found comparable vehicles here, and on other Isuzu sites (like IsuzuPup.com).

Jack
Original owner, 1983 Isuzu P'up LS Diesel. Engine overhauled by JLEMOND. Ready for new paint now!
1994 Isuzu Amigo 2wd
IsuzuPup.com
"There are no dumb questions"?! Maybe not...
but there are smart ways to ask. Old, but classic:
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
JoeIsuzu
Zu Royalty

Have thanks: 80 times

Postby NCDiesel » Sun Dec 18, 2016 11:47 am

Hey Jack,

Thanks! I actually tried to insert them first; but no matter where I hosted them, this site's software would complain about being unable to get the dimensions of the photo and would not insert them. I don't know if its the meta information in these particular photographs, or a glitch in the forum software. The best I seem to be able to do is provide links. Your point is well taken, as I can't promise my personal account will be around forever. So I created a throw-away account at image shack specifically for myself, for this forum and updated my original post. So the image will exist as long as Imageshack exists. I hope that works for everyone.

Take care and enjoy the photos,
NCDiesel
NCDiesel
Drives on Pavement

Postby Ed Mc. » Sun Dec 18, 2016 4:34 pm

I saved them to my 'puter and renamed the files, how 'bout that.

Maybe some software on your computer isn't playing nice with the ZuZu forum's program.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
'90 3.4 Troop LS;
Keep On Troopin' !
Ed Mc.
Almost Joe Isuzu

Postby JoeIsuzu » Sun Dec 18, 2016 4:55 pm

NCDiesel wrote:Hey Jack,

Thanks! I actually tried to insert them first; but no matter where I hosted them...

When you attach them, PlanetIsuzoo.com hosts them.
Ed Mc. wrote:I saved them to my 'puter and renamed the files, how 'bout that.

Maybe some software on your computer isn't playing nice with the ZuZu forum's program.

No, it's not a problem with my computer. And the fix wasn't renaming them, it was attaching them. You actually attached four of them this time. That's what I was asking for.

Jack
Original owner, 1983 Isuzu P'up LS Diesel. Engine overhauled by JLEMOND. Ready for new paint now!
1994 Isuzu Amigo 2wd
IsuzuPup.com
"There are no dumb questions"?! Maybe not...
but there are smart ways to ask. Old, but classic:
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
JoeIsuzu
Zu Royalty

Have thanks: 80 times

Postby NCDiesel » Sun Dec 18, 2016 5:24 pm

What I meant to say, is when I actually attempt to attach them using the "Insert Image" icon, I first enter the URL of the site they originally sit at. All is well when I say "Insert"; the problem comes when I click Submit for the post. This error message pops up:

"It was not possible to determine the dimensions of the image. Please verify that the URL you entered is correct."

Of course the URL is correct, as you folks can click and view. Thinking it might be an issue with how image properties are reported by the hosting site, I switched hosting sites. But this doesn't seem to help. So I am sort of at an impasse - nothing I try allows me to insert images.
NCDiesel
NCDiesel
Drives on Pavement

Postby Ed Mc. » Sun Dec 18, 2016 5:38 pm

Maybe the "old-fashioned" way is the simplest and best.

When in the "Full Editor" mode, just go to the "Upload Attachment" button at the bottom, navigate to the file on your machine that you want to attach, and it should work.

Whatever issue there is with uploading from a URL should not matter when uploading from the machine itself.
'90 3.4 Troop LS;
Keep On Troopin' !

For this post the author Ed Mc. was thanked by:
JoeIsuzu
Ed Mc.
Almost Joe Isuzu

Postby NCDiesel » Sun Dec 18, 2016 5:46 pm

Next set of pics.....

IMG_1025.JPG
IMG_1026.JPG
IMG_1022.JPG
NCDiesel
NCDiesel
Drives on Pavement

Postby NCDiesel » Sun Dec 18, 2016 5:48 pm

Ed Mc. wrote:Maybe the "old-fashioned" way is the simplest and best.

When in the "Full Editor" mode, just go to the "Upload Attachment" button at the bottom, navigate to the file on your machine that you want to attach, and it should work.

Whatever issue there is with uploading from a URL should not matter when uploading from the machine itself.

Woo hoo - success! That method works just fine. I appreciate the tip and got the pictures up.
NCDiesel
NCDiesel
Drives on Pavement

Postby NCDiesel » Thu Jan 05, 2017 2:42 pm

UPDATE: AVM 432 manual lockers delivered today. New buyers gets these as a freebie!

Bump to the top plus update! - Anyone interested? Or do I get to keep it and just tell my wife it wouldn't sell (-:
NCDiesel
NCDiesel
Drives on Pavement

Re: 1986 Isuzu Trooper - Diesel 4 door - New Price!!!!!

Postby NCDiesel » Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:43 pm

Price Drop!!! - $4950

I know what you are saying: "If he drops it once, he'll drop it again.". Nope (-: If I can't get this kind of money for the rarest diesel trooper out there (4-door) then I'll just keep it. My wife even agrees! So this will be the one and only price drop - so get your offers ready.
Last edited by NCDiesel on Tue Jan 17, 2017 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NCDiesel
NCDiesel
Drives on Pavement

Postby superman27344 » Tue Jan 17, 2017 4:14 pm

You dont happen to work for the city of Winston do you? I see one this color on MLK Jr Drive occasionally but I never noticed if it was a diesel or not.

Lou

2000 Trooper aka "Brawn", 3.5 liter V6, 5spd
1989 Trooper aka "The Armadillo", 2.6 liter, 5spd SOLD

Carolina Isuzu Owners Facebook Group

Brawn Build Thread

The Armadillo Build Thread

"It has been my experience that folks who have no vices have very few virtues."
-Abraham Lincoln

superman27344
Expedition Ready

Have thanks: 76 times

Postby NCDiesel » Tue Jan 17, 2017 4:25 pm

superman27344 wrote:You dont happen to work for the city of Winston do you? I see one this color on MLK Jr Drive occasionally but I never noticed if it was a diesel or not.

Nope, though I do use this Trooper to drop paint, oil, etc at the Hazardous waste recycling MLK Dr. Maybe you saw me then?
NCDiesel
NCDiesel
Drives on Pavement

Postby superman27344 » Tue Jan 17, 2017 4:35 pm

It must not have been you then. This person always turned into the city maintenance place.

Lou

2000 Trooper aka "Brawn", 3.5 liter V6, 5spd
1989 Trooper aka "The Armadillo", 2.6 liter, 5spd SOLD

Carolina Isuzu Owners Facebook Group

Brawn Build Thread

The Armadillo Build Thread

"It has been my experience that folks who have no vices have very few virtues."
-Abraham Lincoln

superman27344
Expedition Ready

Have thanks: 76 times

Re: 1986 Isuzu Trooper - Diesel 4 door - **SOLD**

Postby NCDiesel » Sat Feb 04, 2017 12:05 pm

SOLD
NCDiesel
NCDiesel
Drives on Pavement

Re: 1986 Isuzu Trooper - Diesel 4 door - Sale Pending

Postby joeshmoe_44883 » Sat Feb 04, 2017 5:48 pm

Just curious how rare are the 4 door diesels? I have one with just a hair over 100,000 miles.
86 Trooper II 4 door 4x4 5 spd with 2.2 Turbo D. Gen 3 rods, getting rebuilt and adding variable vane turbo, intercooler, and some other goodies. cant wait for it to run.
" I think a man only needs one thing in life. He just needs someone to love. If you can't give him that, then give him something to hope for. And if you can't give him that, just give him something to do"- Flight of the Phoenix (2004)
joeshmoe_44883
Loyal P'up

Have thanks: 1 time

Postby Ed Mc. » Sat Feb 04, 2017 7:12 pm

Rare! Don't get rid of it!

Do a post with pics, when it's all up and running again. Cheers.......ed
'90 3.4 Troop LS;
Keep On Troopin' !
Ed Mc.
Almost Joe Isuzu

Postby t-rock » Wed May 17, 2017 7:36 pm

Thanks Spencer!
t-rock
Drives on Pavement

Return to Classifieds