Isuzu SUV Forum banner

The 'What Projects are You Doing Before Uwharrie' thread...

17K views 41 replies 12 participants last post by  sassee 
#1 ·
Hey gang!

For most of us, part of the tradition of gearing-up for another Uwharrie trip is getting your rig ready, and/or installing some new bits and pieces. Granted, some folks leave their vehicles exactly the same as it was the last trip, but most of us just can't resist the urge to tinker (or we don't have any choice, because something needs repaired or replaced).

I've always enjoyed seeing what everyone is up to, and reading about their pre-Uwharrie preparations.

Here's my list:

>>> Finally replace the rear passenger-side door that got hit 2 Christmases ago. [ DONE ]
I went ahead and got a pair of newer LS doors, with speaker pods in them, and replaced them both.

>>> Replace the UCA Bushings. [ DONE ]

>>> Get an alignment. I have an appointment on Monday with the only shop in the area that does a REAL alignment, including Camber Adjustment.

>>> Install the new dif cover (`cause that old factory aluminum unit is missing some fins, and I've just been really lucky so far!)...

^^^ $65.00 + shipping! (http://www.solidaxle.com/productcart/pc ... category=7)

>>> Install the winch...

>>> Finally install the CB into the dash, rather than have it just sitting loose between the seats.

>>> (most likely) swap back to the 32 x 11.50 x 15s, since they have a whole lot more tread on them than the 'new' 32 x 10 x 18s.
Or maybe borrow Zach's 265/75/16 Kevlar MT/Rs, if my old VX ends up not making the trip.

>>> (possibly -- but a whole lot less likely) remove the Lockright from Rodeo #1's D-44, and install it in Rodeo #2.
I've been looking at shim/spacer kits, anyhow.

Beyond that, who knows? :wink:
How about everyone else?

See less See more
#2 ·
I am sanding and applying more poly to the bedroom area

Also need to mount a black tank and then hook up toilet

Need to finish a table for snacks and beverages outside in the evening, maybe even for coffee in the am

Need to work on some decorations for outside on the veranda (mmmm....still need to make and mount the veranda)

Then last would be to clean, pack fridge, oh and have to finish the wardrobe area....

Maybe even wash the ole girl again

Then we will be ready to head to arrowhead :mrgreen:

#4 ·
Chitzu said:
Bansil do you already have the black tank? I took one out of a motor home but it is to tall for a trailer. Those things are expensive.
no not technically...... :roll: ......I have a round blue poly tank......... A.K.A............plastic barrel :mrgreen:

I plan to bolt toilet down and worry about the details before the summer trips when mama has to ride with me :lol:

whatcha' plan to do with it? pm me if needed

You going to URE?

#5 ·
I'm starting by trying to get engines back in my Zu's. Makes it a lot easier to drive them down. I also hope to get the brake kit installed on the boat trailer and some tune up work and carb rebuilds done on the outboard.

#8 ·
Trooper is getting timing belt, water pump, all new hoses, and belts, thermostat, passenger side front half shaft, and maybe HD steering linkage kit from Indy4x. Then an alignment.

Camper needs interior paint, test propane system for leaks and all appliances tested for proper operation. Plywood decking for bed, and new foam cushions for dinette. Make covers for cushions. Replace the black water tank dump valve. Replace all screens on the windows. Fab up tarp awning system and mounts. Clean and load up the family!

Both of these lists are subject to change, and addition.

#9 ·
Chitzu said:
Hey Bansil I think I sent some pics and PM s but not sure. Still 1 brick shy of a full clip.
Got them, thank you...and I can bring a masonry bit and we can...ugh...ugh...ADD holes...while no-one is looking :mrgreen:

#10 ·
I always wanted a 5 hole brick but all the regulations were too strict. I need to find a motel someplace close to grandfather or wherever we go. NOT a Mariott because I heard they don't allow bricks so I boycott them, besides I always carry my brick when out in the real world.

#11 ·
Chitzu said:
I always wanted a 5 hole brick but all the regulations were too strict. I need to find a motel someplace close to grandfather or wherever we go. NOT a Mariott because I heard they don't allow bricks so I boycott them, besides I always carry my brick when out in the real world.
Pm me, plenty of places close ....you no campy? :mrgreen:

Lisa is like 15 min from work when camped at grandfather and thats what we like about it.she works in boone

So I "glamp" while she is at work, then I pamper her when she "roughs it" after work....plus she drives by the wine store on way to campground :mrgreen:

#12 ·
Love to camp BUT that is a long ways (320 to Uwharrie) short time to be their and I poo out pretty easy (real easy). I seen Spruce Pine near there, in the past century I drove an 18 wheeler load of lumber up there and didn't forget that road, good exercise for Tortuga driver.

#13 ·
It'll be a last minute decision for me... I will probably put a new pair of swampers on the front, install my light forces for the night runs -- drive over to Jiffy lube and let them fill my transmission back up again and hit the road ;)

#14 ·
2002trooper4me, will the troopr pull the camper O K? Most towing depends on the nut behind the wheel, just curious if you had to use a special hitch or anything. Hope we can get a tour at Uwharrie. :bigsmurf: hi nt hint Bansil is serving cheese and crackers and champagne

#15 ·
Chitzu said:
2002trooper4me, will the troopr pull the camper O K? Most towing depends on the nut behind the wheel, just curious if you had to use a special hitch or anything. Hope we can get a tour at Uwharrie. :bigsmurf: hi nt hint Bansil is serving cheese and crackers and champagne
Champagne is for breakfast :mrgreen:

#16 ·
Chitzu said:
The Trooper tows the camper very nicely. As for tours, of course! And yes, I know Doug's style of entertaining very well.

There was a sign in the works some a few years ago for my previous camper. I believe it was Eli who dubbed my campsite "Mad Mike's Grill & Bar". :lol: Needless to say, I love to entertain and cook for friends.

#18 ·
squatch said:
Mad Mike's Chuck Wagon
Bait and Tackle
Liquor in the front
Poker in the rear
Just wait till you see the new camper... Makes the Casa de Doublewide look like a shack...

#19 ·
:mrgreen:

it'll be harder to pick sites with the slides....recon this spring with a tape measure

#20 ·
Well, I got it aligned... but, even after swapping-off the metric 32 x 11 x 18s, it still doesn't feel quite right. --- And since it's doing basically the same thing that it was on the 18s (pulls to the right, and HATES making left-hand turns), I have to assume that it has NOTHING to do with the tires that I swapped-on... a set of nearly new / nonetheless somewhat rock-rashed 34 x 10.50 x 15 LTBs :cheers: :bounce: :cyclopsani: :compress: :pirate:

They do go pretty well in 12+ inches of snow...

...and they are pretty handy for Jeep recovery, too:

Even so... If I don't get some answers on what's up with the Rodeo, pretty soon, I may look into repairing the Trooper (and bringing those LTBs, of course!)

#21 ·
There's always the things that "need done" and the things that are actually going to be completed.

Probably just my yearly oil change on the engine and then service the trans cause it hasn't been done since I put it in.

I WANT to get the front end freshened up with all the bushings and install those HD tie rods I bought a year ago.

Truthfully, with my recent luck, transmission in the wife's 94 and the dishwasher, furnace, hot water heater, and dryer repairs of recent, money is not as plentiful as I hoped. Also, with my work and travel because of work schedule, I see me just riding with Paintchip and crew and hoping there is room to hitch a ride, or sit in the back on the cooler anyway.

Worst case, I just don't take my truck and camp and have a good time visiting and heckling others as normal.

I just hope that Ruination makes it and I will ride with him again in 2wd again. That is always entertaining to say the least!

#22 ·
ga trooper said:

I just hope that Ruination makes it and I will ride with him again in 2wd again. That is always entertaining to say the least!
We'll see brother! I need to order two new front swampers and an alignment. Jiffy lube shounldnt mind refilling all the leaky fluids on the truck to hold her together for a weekend :)

The Magic spot on the dash is still there and in working order!

#24 ·
I didn't notice this thread until just now... cool stuff everyone has brewing! :thumbup: Here's the run down for me:

My 1990 Trooper- CV boots on both shafts and steering knuckle bearing on the driver side which I'm doing today or tomorrow as we're planning on being out on the trails for the work day @ URE this Saturday. Ideally I'd like to install rock sliders by the April outing (Darlington ones), although Zoe's truck is the priority and both Joe and I will have our hands full between our individual projects and working on the race truck been now and then, so we'll see.

Zoe's 1991 Trooper - Matt @ Indy4x got the LSD ready, I just need to get it from Joe and do the swap. Zoe will also very likely never speak to me again if she doesn't get rock sliders for the April outing, so hopefully Joe can sneak in a special order... if not, I'll do a temporary bolt-on set and swap out with some Darlington ones when time allows.

Spencer's 1992 Amigo - until several weeks ago, this truck wasn't even in the picture, and with all of the work it's needed just to get it running I'm not sure how prepared I/we will be able to make it by the April outing. At a bare minimum I'll be giving it a lift as the trails are simply miserable otherwise, and maybe sneak in a CB install... the tires are pretty bare so getting these replaced would be nice, but we're trying to avoid paying retail for tires so this will probably depend on whether a decent used set pops up at a decent price.

Shaggy Shack - basically ready to roll outside of me picking up a few more items like some pink flamingos, a garden gnome and other random yard ornaments... my site is next to Bansil's so I need to make sure he doesn't completely outdo me. ;)

Shaggy

#26 ·
shaggydoink said:
p.s: Mario broached the subject of doing some RC car racing, so add a differential swap in my micro Losi to my list. ;)

Shaggy
Okay, 1/2 a beer....next ::

Still have nothing but a mess....crap 3 weeks.....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.