Isuzu SUV Forum banner

Should we lock in Hallowharrie weekend for the 3rd weekend of the month or poll the dates each year?

• Yes to the 3rd weekend of the month, predictability and stability are good,

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, voting and arguing about it is more fun.

Votes: 6 100.0%

Lock-in weekend for future Hallowharrie?

10K views 22 replies 10 participants last post by  DRaider90 
#1 ·
Personally, I think locking in the dates is a bit draconian, but there are some advantages. It allows LONG term planning for those that need to do so, and prevents future bickering. If we do it the 3rd weekend of the month. Basically, take a look at a calendar, I used Thursday as the starting day for the event, just subtract one day from the current year, and that will be the starting date for the next year (not taking leap year into consideration) for several years. That is late enough to be cooler, but early enough to avoid Halloween holiday conflicts. I will leave the poll open for a month. I am curious to see how it comes out.

#2 ·
I think it depends on where the dates fall. I think the argument is the result of locking in dates. We need to be flexible. Sure looking ahead is good, but we can decide months ahead, no need to decide years ahead. I mean, if global warming causes it to be hot in October, maybe we'd need to reschedule to November. Or if the glaciers start moving south.... Then there's the annual swarm of killer ladybugs!

#3 ·
I think there should be a poll option for different weekends being locked in. I personally can never make that third weekend cause it is several family members birthdays that weekend every year.

#4 ·
Interesting. Maybe nov is doable? May be a bit chill. Any earlier, starts getting hotter.

#5 ·
Y'all are killing me with this debate and all the back and forth! There must be four threads on this topic! :evil:

Can't we just get along?! :lol: :lol:

Here's some alternative options:

1. Every year, have a short lived poll for a choice of either the 3rd or 4th weekend in April and October... since this event always/mostly occurs on the 3rd or 4th weekends.

OR

2. Just alternate between the 3rd and 4th weekends, in April and October, every year.

OR

3. A combination of the two.

Not everyone is going to be happy with how the dates are chosen every year. But I think or hope the options above will allow for some flexibility to avoid any major scheduling conflicts and allow folks a good ideal of when the event will occur and time to plan ahead.

#6 ·
88bronzetrooper said:
I personally can never make that third weekend cause it is several family members birthdays that weekend every year.
Ditto

#7 ·
marlin said:
Interesting. Maybe nov is doable? May be a bit chill. Any earlier, starts getting hotter.
Nov is usually when many folks begin to prepare for the Thanksgiving and Christmas holidays, with family reunions, shopping, decorating, etc...

#8 ·
First weekend in nov?

#9 ·
Im not sure why we are having this poll if people want a locked in weekend then we have already done that in the past and we stay with the locked in weekend we already picked. If people dont want a locked in weekend then they can make there own gathering every year.

#10 ·
Dylan, a MAJORITY of the folks were not happy with the weekend that was locked in. I don't want to lock it in either, I would tather set a poll after the spring event each year, but some people asked me to start a poll about locking it in, hence the vote above.

#11 ·
Marlin I was not trying to argue weekend choice again but I will say it was not
Majority as evidenced by the first poll and polls in the past, but that's neither here nor there. I was saying if you habi a poll to vote on lockin a weekend in and your suggesting other dates such as first weekend in November then put this other options in the poll, not just the options you like

#12 ·
I suggest we have an outing on Valentine's Day and call it Harrie-Kari. Because that is what you are committing when you tell your wife you're going off-roading on Valentine's Day.

#13 ·
I don't know if my opinion is worth its .02 anymore but I will throw it in here. Keep in mind this is just my personal opinion mixed with experience from the past couple years helping organize the events.

The vote should be for neither in all honesty. Locking in a date sounds good in theory, but in reality there are too many variables for this to work consistently. Beyond that for some people that have commitments consistently on a certain date that would always conflict with them. Voting doesn't work consistently either, the only reason it worked a couple times in the past was because of the group of people we had back then. There weren't a lot of people with children coming out so Halloween etc wasn't an issue, and the main criteria we considered for choosing dates was other events happening that would clog up the trails with traffic. If holiday's were considered it was the major ones that effected everyone, such as Thanksgiving, Christmas, etc. And if you look back at some of the old votes they were pretty clear cut, there was usually a overwhelming majority. And some may remember most of the time we didn't even have a vote, things were taken into consideration and a date was just set with no voting.

The main things that need to be considered are:

1.)The date needs to be set as far in advance as possible for people to plan
2.)The date needs to be set to consider other events at Uwharrie that would add traffic/headaches

Beyond that let the chips fall where they may. The only thing that should be a concrete given is that the date will bounce around between weekends in late October/Early November, and in the end its up to whom ever is in charge of organizing the event.

#14 ·
This isn't about what I want. If that were the case, I would not put a vote, and I would just make a command decision as Eli mentioned. I give orders for a living, I see no reason to do that here. I wasn't going to do another poll, but some others asked me to via PM. I have already said multiple times that I think the entire concept of locking in a weekend is dumb.
This is why there are two weekends this year. It sucks, I won't get to see some old friends, but personally, I have kids, can't reschedule halloween, so I will be in URE the weekend of the 17th. The alternate dates are the weekend after that. There is an entirely separate thread for planning/info.

#16 ·
Dont' you mean ValentineHarrie? LOL

#19 ·
For everyones information... I am the one that instigated Marlin to put up this thread. :thefinger: :lol: :lol:

I thought that this date (3rd full weekend) would be more to the liking of the majority. :roll: Why don't we add in some more dates to the poll... i.e., 1st weekend in Nov. Any other suggestions? :lol:

If memory serves me right :roll: , these "events" are "NOT ORGANIZED" (or something of that nature) to avoid us from having to have insurance. :dontknow:

squatch said:
Too much confusion. I'm going fishing instead! 8)
I'm with you. :thumbup: :lol:

#21 ·
I just want to make it once in my life and watching the lottery balls in that plexy box bounce around is making me dizzy. Just pick a date and I will try and make it happen. If it does not happen, then it does not happen. The longer it takes to decide, the closer it gets and more difficult for me to schedule.

You are not going to make everyone happy and that should not be your problem, and if you piss someone off, then the problem is theirs.

cheers
-Ian :blackeye:

#22 ·
I agree, there are twosets fo dates this year, I have a thread going for the 17-20th, 6 or 7 signed up so far. I just got Tom from the VX site, he will be there the 17th. There is a thread for alternate dates the following weekend. No more polls, I am done messing with it. I will set a poll for the spring meet when the time comes unless someone else takes the lead on that.

#23 ·
shaggydoink said:
I've just started to plan on a trip once a month, this way I'm bound to cross paths with at least SOME of y'all at one point or another! ;)

Jonathan
For the past 4 years I was making it out at least once a month (if not more) on the 3rd weekend to volunteer on the trails at Uwharrie, but with a new job working 70-80 hours a week that kind of has been thrown out the window. It may be a good thing because I was getting burned out on driving the trails (some may have noticed I did a lot more riding shotgun with people). You get to learn the trails backwards, forwards, and upside down which is great, but it can get boring. So watch what you wish for speaking of monthly trips. :shock:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.