Isuzu SUV Forum banner

Uwharrie GPS Maps/GPX Tracks

23K views 72 replies 11 participants last post by  shaggydoink 
#1 ·
Van and I had a brief chat about having the OHV trails mapped out and accessible on GPS last weekend, I was going to take it on as a project but thought I'd double check to see if someone may have already put together such a thing? i.e: detailed map files and/or GPX tracks?

Thanks in advance!

Jonathan

#6 ·
There are several mentions in the forums about GPS maps/tracks, although most of the posts were old and I didn't see a really baked set of files. I guess I'll move ahead with putting something together and post it up somewhere in case anyone else is interested.

Jonathan

#8 ·
It's a little hard to see, but I got all of the tracks loaded into OpenStreetMap (the thin aqua lines) where I'll ultimately convert them to recorded roads on the map. No more fumbling with a paper map next time I'm out there! Woohoo! :thumbup:

Jonathan

#9 ·
I've still got a ways to go between cleaning up and adding additional points/details, but the basic tracks are now entered as actual trails on OpenStreetMap. I *think* that the changes got propagated publically, maybe someone other than me can peek and verify?

http://www.openstreetmap.org

Here's a sample visual:

Jonathan

#11 ·
Van said:
Great job on this project Jonathan. :thumbup:

I can see the trails on the link you provided. :D

My question is... can I download the map to my TomTom or to other GPS's?

If so... how. :dontknow:
Thanks Van, glad to hear someone can see them other than me!!! Ultimately the answer is yes, you (or anyone for that matter) will be able to download the map as well as the tracks/traces - once I'm done making a few more edits I'll post up some instructions on how to do either or both for various devices.

I was also planning on adding some "notable points" to the map/tracks (things such tricky spots or places to pull over and rest on a trail, the mud pool, etc.) although I may wait and do this as a second round after I've verified the base information is accurate... which will of course require some "on location research" (nudge, nudge, wink, wink)... and of course, with my "survey vehicle" still not quite capable of handling every trail comfortably I may just need to get some volunteers to assist in said research (nudge, nudge, wink, wink)... ;)

Jonathan

#13 ·
Ruination said:
SO, when is the trail scout day/weekend trip?
I was thinking about going down on one of the first few Saturdays in June, although it partially depends on whether or not there other scout volunteers available. ;)

Jonathan

#14 ·
shaggydoink said:
Ruination said:
SO, when is the trail scout day/weekend trip?
I was thinking about going down on one of the first few Saturdays in June, although it partially depends on whether or not there other scout volunteers available. ;)

Jonathan
If I sell my Black Dodge and pull my Isuzu out of 'storage' I'll be happy to make a run. June 14th (friday) is my birthday so I might put some money into that to get it ready for summer.

#16 ·
zudorf said:
I'd help but I'm pretty sure camp site #19 and the bathroom are easy to find. Someday I'll be cool like you and have a rig I can take off the beaten path. For now, I have to protect my daily driver...with running boards......and no brush guard. :lol:
LOL! Yeah, ours are both daily drivers as well which admittedly can add a little bit of apprehension into the mix! :tongue:

#17 ·
Changes look like they got propagated globally, downloaded and updated my $3 GPS and am now rocking with URE trails:

I've been reading conflicting stories on how open/restricted TomTom is when it comes to applying map updates that are not theirs, but still doing some research on this along with putting together some instructions for other devices.

#19 ·
shaggydoink said:
Changes look like they got propagated globally, downloaded and updated my $3 GPS and am now rocking with URE trails:

I've been reading conflicting stories on how open/restricted TomTom is when it comes to applying map updates that are not theirs, but still doing some research on this along with putting together some instructions for other devices.
This is great. :D

I am not sure if this is possible, but, on my phone (using Google maps) it can track where I'm at (if I want it to :wink: ).

There's probably some way to be able to track your location on the trail map while actually on the trail (depending on satellite signal), I just don't know how to do it. :dontknow:

This would be a fantastic "tool" in case of an emergency. :idea:

Maybe overlay the trail map onto a GPS "coordinates" topo map? :?

#20 ·
I've been learning quite a bit while working on this little project, and while it makes perfect sense I don't think I realized that most GPS maps are in essence what you said - GPS plot points that are overlayed on top of an image. The editor in OpenStreetMap (and others) is neat because you can select different background images, so for example here's Daniel on a classic GPS map:

A topographical map:

And even a satellite imagery map:

In addition to just being nerdy cool, the different view options are actually really helpful in terms of viewing/editing - for example, someone prior to me had blocked out a couple of the trailheads/parking areas, although in looking at the map with a satellite image background it looks as though what I've highlighted in red is what the area *should* be vs. what is currently defined:

You're also right, most actual GPS devices have the means to display as well as record GPS plot points - for phones (or GPS devices that have been hacked!!) even if the mapping software does not have function there are standalone GPS loggers. This I've learned saves data that is separate from the GPS plot points of the map, although can be overlayed... and apparently different devices/platforms seem to handle and even call this data slightly different things... tracks, traces, POIs... GPX, GPI, KML, KMZ, LMX, OV2... oh my!

The rabbit hole goes pretty deep, but no worries, I'll do my best to get things into a shape and form that doesn't require this degree of geekiness. :thumbup:

Jonathan

#21 ·
As it was sounding like the conversion of data to TomTom might take a bit of trial and error, I decided to pop on a TomTom One someone had at the flea market for five bucks:

Seems to work fine, although the installed map set must be pretty old as it doesn't show my townhome complex as existing at all!

#22 ·
I will only be impressed if you can rename or create a part of the Uwharrie trails to include a trail or obstacle called "Shaggydoink" on the GPS and have it catch on. :lol: :lol: :lol:

#23 ·
N law said:
I will only be impressed if you can rename or create a part of the Uwharrie trails to include a trail or obstacle called "Shaggydoink" on the GPS and have it catch on. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hmmmm... one of the log bridges on Dutch John that give me the heebie-jeebies... commit to the map you say?

#24 ·
shaggydoink said:
N law said:
Hmmmm... one of the log bridges on Dutch John that give me the heebie-jeebies... commit to the map you say?

do you like the idea of being known as a bridge?

there isn't THE hill climb or "rock pile" that has such an ambiguous name that could use more personality? Does Uwharrie have a "peanut butter hole"

It don't matter to me, but this is your one chance to put your legacy on the Uwharrie GPS map!!!

#25 ·
N law said:
do you like the idea of being known as a bridge?

there isn't THE hill climb or "rock pile" that has such an ambiguous name that could use more personality? Does Uwharrie have a "peanut butter hole"

It don't matter to me, but this is your one chance to put your legacy on the Uwharrie GPS map!!!
Well, I'd hate to associate myself with anything too glorified considering I haven't conquered much there under my own power yet... but I do agree that there must be some spot that's a little more glamorous to claim... perhaps a rocky incline called "Shaggy's Shocking Shackle Schlepp"? :roll:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.