Isuzu SUV Forum banner

Kodak Rock

8K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  Chitzu 
#1 ·
Does everyone here know about the kodak rock section of rocky mountain loop being closed due to the discovery of indian artifacts? Just makin sure ya'll know that part of the trail will be closed during the event. This spot is also known as the rock garden area.

#4 ·
Whole of rml is closed. That is a good trail. Tough enough to be fun, but passable by all.

#5 ·
The whole trails isnt closed, just from slab pile to sawmill...but thats the good part of it. Alot of you guys might not "play" on kodak rock but it is an important part of the trail system nontheless. Whenever possible make sure you guys attend uwharrie work days to help keep these trails open. Lets not lose uwharrie like we lost Tellico and so many other private and public areas across the country. It may be closed due to someone finding some artifacts but i dont think most of you realize how little it takes to make a domino effect and before you know it another park is gone. If you see trash, pick it up! If you see someone taking a "shortcut" or making their own trail, explain to them the effect this has on how others view our sport as a whole. Lets all do our part so we have places like this to go for many years to come!

#6 ·
I sport my gold sticker for trail days the wife and I have participated in. We make sure to do at least one day of trash clean up each trip. As Ron (Ften) points out, my little tin can isn't big enough to hold many bags, so we use his tank as our garbage truck:)

We all agree that 99% of trail damage/bypass is bikes and quads, seems like a no brainer to me...

I am curious about the magic artifacts found. Why are there none on the trail itself? How many artifacts do we really need to find? I do not believe there is any mystery or shortage of Indian stuff from that area of the country. In a few hundred years, are they going to block off all of our trash sites? I doubt that,and if its a bunch of stuff together, it is most likely their version of a dump site...sigh...oh well, pretty soon, we will only be able to play inside or on the internet for fear of destroying some critter or important earthworm breeding ground. Anyone want to make a rock crawler video game?

#7 ·
I really dont know what they found. Seems they are being kinda quiet about it for whatever reason. I think theres enough arrowheads and broken pottery to fill a warehouse by now. I just hope this isnt some sort of cover up for excessive erosion in that area or some other hydrology issue. Thats basically what shut tellico down. Water issues stemming from runoff and endangerment of some trout species. If any of you have seen pictures of tellico now, its 100x worse than it ever was when offroaders were using it. Its a huge logged area now that is a sad reminder of what it used to be...

#8 ·
Strangely enough, all those valleys and whatnot were formed by water erosion.

#9 ·
We've been thru the quad thing here and it is not pretty. The sheriff allowed us to ride on the county roads to work or hunt or get a group together and take a weekend ride. This was great for many years but now there is a new group out there that destroys anything they can and in spite of a years worth of warnings they kept tearing up so they stopped us all from riding. The best advice is to make it street legal or stay home. They will not change because stupid is not curable.
Sad but true.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.