Isuzu SUV Forum banner

2012 Hallowharrie official pics and stories!

25K views 83 replies 25 participants last post by  N law 
#1 ·
I got a new dashcam, so I will upload some video when we get back. Hopefully get some great shots for those that couldn't make it this year:(

#2 ·
we'll have a still camera and a digital camcorder.

#3 ·
I do believe this is the first time that one of these posts has been created, for a Uwharrie trip that I am attending, BEFORE I've even arrived there.

So, where are all those pix & videos, hmmm? :p

#4 ·
Well, made it home in one piece last night.
Another great trip!!! My boys had a blast on their first "wheelin" trip and are already talking about the next one. They couldn't stop talking about "Daniel" and how tough that looked. Especially when Mike's jeep went AIRBORN :shock: climbing the first ledge! Tom, the boys also were quoting you on many occasions on the way home and I really appreciate you being friendly with them on our night run. Met some new faces and glad to see people from last year. Took a load of pictures and as soon as time allows will get those posted up.
I'm back at work today WISHIN' I was still out there!!!!
Hope you got Van's truck squared away. :shock:
I'll get into some more details later and post up some pics. Great trip!!!

#5 ·
Made it home alive. Crappy weather here in Hampton Roads. The VX towed the camper like a dream. I have a bunch of videos from my dashcam I am uploading. Its gonna be awhile. I had a blast, even though we only did a few trails. The 4 hour daniel run was a killer. It was GREAT seeing everyone again. Can't believe it had been a year and a half.

#7 ·
FIrst video uploaded form phone, sorry, no editing, working on that too.

#8 ·
Please tell me SOMEONE got a shot of my Rodeo "Three-wheelin" it at the top of the first ledge on Daniel. My photographer son missed it (kept him waiting too long whilst getting a Jeep tire changed :shock: ) Kidding Mike, just kidding. We missed the shot of your rig airborn too. Hope somebody got that one. :mrgreen:

#9 ·
Here are some more videos: I am still trying to figure out the dash cam, had to sort through 100 videos that were auto recorded. It records whenever the vehicle is moving. When recording, it shows an inclinometer as well as roll, but it doesn't show it in the video:(

I towed a popup camper behind the VX from Newport News, VA to Uwharrie,NC. The trailer was around 2000lbs loaded. Towed like a champ, actually rode better with the trailer then when its empty. Got some great videos from my new dash cam. The wife followed me in the Trooper RS. Both trucks did awesome.
Unfortunately I came home to Hurricane BS. Schools are closed, I don't have to go to work until Wed:) Yippee!!!
Here are some videos, the first is my VX on Daniel as shot from my wife's POV, the second is the same obstacle from the dash cam. You can get a good idea of what its like in the driver's seat vs what it looks like from the outside:

#10 ·
A video of Ron on first ledge Daniel:

#12 ·
Had a blast as usual. Thanks to Chris for posting up vid of me pipmin on daniel ... hehe :)

thanks to Van to since I know he took a bunch of video and always takes the time to post it to. Hope the truck is ok Van, that look like a bloody mess.

And of course thanks to my boy Mike for entertaining us on Daniel with his mid air Tire spinning show ... followed by promptly blowing one of said tires on top of first ledge. Guess we can now officially say that you cannot bounce the entire weight of a TJ onto one tire that is aired down to 12 psi without bead locks LMAO !!!! But all is well that ends well .. turns out the tire only broke the bead and when you got back to camp we re-inflated it and re-installed it.

Was good to meet some new faces and see a few return from their left coast adventures. Time to plan the spring run ... now lets see ... where did I put that V-8??

#13 ·
I had a great time as usual but it went by too fast. :x

Lots of vids to upload which will take most of this week but are well worth the time. :D

THANKS soooooo much to everyone that helped get my truck out and back running again. :thumbup: :thumbup: It was LOUD on the way home but I made it back OK... even got better gas mileage. :D

A BIG THANKS to all you folks who prepared meals and helped out on the trail cleanup. :cheers:

I'll have some stories to tell, but that will happen with the vids. :lol:

Just when I thought I had all the excitement I needed for the weekend, here's what happened on the way home with Jerry and Leland. :shock:

We pulled into the rest area when we got into South Carolina and were going back to our trucks when we were approached by a guy all exited about someone hitting the lottery there at the rest stop.

Immediately 2 other guys showed up all yelling about the same thing and they started to part us out 1 on 1. Jerry had 1 guy talking to him, Leland had another and I, yet another.

Jerry started walking with one guy towards a group of about 4-6 guys, Leland had 1 guy asking him ?'s and the other guy was asking me ?'s about my truck and what had happened.
Something fishy was going on and Leland and I both realized it.

These guys were all in their 20's with tattoos and were possibly gang members.

Leland and I managed to get back together away from the guys that were trolling us and I asked him to get his gun because we knew something wasn't right. We started walking towards were the gang was with Jerry and yelling to Jerry that we had to leave, but they keep grabbing him by the arm and surrounding him while 2 of the guys came back towards us and separated us once again.

I went back to the truck while being followed to find a crowbar (that didn't happen... locked in the toolbox) got the phone and called 911.

While I was on the phone, I managed to get back with Leland and Jerry and the guy's sort of disappeared except for 1 who was saying out loud that everything was fine (so dispatch could hear).

Somehow we managed to escape a possibly bad situation, stopped for breakfast and had a good laugh over it.

Now on to the vids.

Attachments

#15 ·
Turns out, that Trooper I wanted to look at was sold by 4pm, Saturday... I could have had it, if I hadn't decided to go on the Daniel Run (No regrets, though -- the wheeling was well worth it!)

Made it home, with a rather uneventful trip.

It concerns me, GREATLY, that you guys experienced such a thing on your way home! --- Whenever I travel, I am ALWAYS suspicious of strangers -- especially Teens and 20-somethings -- particularly when in numbers. --- I am IMMENSELY relieved that you were able to extricate yourselves from what could have become a very ugly situation!

Working on Rubo's and my videos, right now... Should have them posted-up, soon(-ish).

Weather-wise:
We have 4"-8" of snow predicted, today/tonight, locally -- with a Blizzard Warning posted through late Tuesday night, with the possibility of up to 2 feet of total accumulation, before it's all over.

#17 ·
Van said:
I had a great time as usual but it went by too fast. :x

Lots of vids to upload which will take most of this week but are well worth the time. :D

THANKS soooooo much to everyone that helped get my truck out and back running again. :thumbup: :thumbup: It was LOUD on the way home but I made it back OK... even got better gas mileage. :D

A BIG THANKS to all you folks who prepared meals and helped out on the trail cleanup. :cheers:

I'll have some stories to tell, but that will happen with the vids. :lol:

Just when I thought I had all the excitement I needed for the weekend, here's what happened on the way home with Jerry and Leland. :shock:

We pulled into the rest area when we got into South Carolina and were going back to our trucks when we were approached by a guy all exited about someone hitting the lottery there at the rest stop.

Immediately 2 other guys showed up all yelling about the same thing and they started to part us out 1 on 1. Jerry had 1 guy talking to him, Leland had another and I, yet another.

Jerry started walking with one guy towards a group of about 4-6 guys, Leland had 1 guy asking him ?'s and the other guy was asking me ?'s about my truck and what had happened.
Something fishy was going on and Leland and I both realized it.

These guys were all in their 20's with tattoos and were possibly gang members.

Leland and I managed to get back together away from the guys that were trolling us and I asked him to get his gun because we knew something wasn't right. We started walking towards were the gang was with Jerry and yelling to Jerry that we had to leave, but they keep grabbing him by the arm and surrounding him while 2 of the guys came back towards us and separated us once again.

I went back to the truck while being followed to find a crowbar (that didn't happen... locked in the toolbox) got the phone and called 911.

While I was on the phone, I managed to get back with Leland and Jerry and the guy's sort of disappeared except for 1 who was saying out loud that everything was fine (so dispatch could hear).

Somehow we managed to escape a possibly bad situation, stopped for breakfast and had a good laugh over it.

Now on to the vids.

Glad to hear you guys got out of there alright!!! And my wife doesn't understand why I ALWAYS want to carry when traveling. :shock:

#18 ·
Holly Crap Van glad you all made it out of that sticky situation OK. Sure sounds like they were planning on robbing and or scamming you guys. Makes me think its time to consider packing some heat. If something like that ever happens to me I will hit 911 first even if its a mistake, I would rather explain the call, than take my chances with some dirt bags out to take whats mine.

I had a great time as always, and am looking forward to the next time we can all get together.
Wayne

#19 ·
Yeah Eckholm.....my wife USED to be like that. I had my 9mm with me all weekend. And mines legal!

#22 ·
sassee said:
Yeah Eckholm.....my wife USED to be like that. I had my 9mm with me all weekend. And mines legal!
I'm no authority on the issue, but my understanding is that carrying in a National Forrest defers to the state and how they handle State Forrests. NC doesn't seem to allow it in State Forrests, which I understand as doesn't allow one to carry in National Forrest's in NC. Don't know for sure and I definitely am not telling you what to do, but might be worth thinking about what you say...

Glad you guys used your heads to get out of a crumm situation. Love the pics and videos!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.