Isuzu SUV Forum banner

What kind of things break at uwharrie?

17K views 25 replies 15 participants last post by  dman4486 
#1 ·
I have plans to make the october trip and I want to start preparing extra parts to bring to the trip should they be needed. My question is, on 2nd gen troopers what generally goes out? On one note I'm running pretty much a stock trooper which I think is well built. I've done a bit of maintenance work and feel good about the troopers shape. I'm running pretty much stock sized tires and despite having the front locked I dont think I should break a CV. I feel that bringing an extra CV would be very generous. Maybe Im just being over confident... What do you guys suggest I bring? I keep all my tools in the trooper so tools wont be an issue. Just isuzu parts.

Also does uwharrie have any mountain biking trails? Would anyone be interested in doing some leg powered trail rides?

#2 ·
I'd grab a pair of tierods and thats it,except for normal maintenance,also make sure you have a good spare tire

#3 ·
AS far as tierods go, are we talking about the joints or the bar that connects the two?

#4 ·
The bar between them actually will bend/break,just hit up a JY and take the cotter pins out,nuts loose,and remove assembly... a big hammer wack on the part that the tierods go thru (knuckle and centerlink) will pop them loose

#5 ·
Bansil said:
The bar between them actually will bend/break,just hit up a JY and take the cotter pins out,nuts loose,and remove assembly... a big hammer wack on the part that the tierods go thru (knuckle and centerlink) will pop them loose
Is there anyway to make a heavier dutier ones than the stock ones? Like just get a solid piece of steel 2x thicker and weld 2 bolts on the ends?

#6 ·
Matt(at independant4x) sells Hvy duty ones

JoeD makes tie rod sheilds also

I have made them for race trucks,but after you buy the 4 tierod ends and the tubing and then thread the tubing...you will be better off buying them already made.

J/Y ones will be good to have for spairs,they don't break real easy either

#7 ·
Bansil said:
Matt(at independant4x) sells Hvy duty ones

JoeD makes tie rod sheilds also

I have made them for race trucks,but after you buy the 4 tierod ends and the tubing and then thread the tubing...you will be better off buying them already made.

J/Y ones will be good to have for spairs,they don't break real easy either
matts are a little out of my price range. Time to inquire Joe and hit the JY.

#8 ·
I would really think of bringing a CV with you to URE for safety with that front locker. The last two times I went with friends with front aussies they both broke something. Tie rods aren't a bad idea but if low on funds just get some stockers for trail spares from the junkyard.

#11 ·
Well Medic....................The things I have personally broke at URE include center carrier bearing, power steering pump. Items I have SEEN broken at URE include, CV's, tie rod ends, u-joints, manual hubs. (of course if a manual hub breaks, so could an automatic hub) As for the box of parts I'm carrying for the both first gens ......it'll include front wheel bearings, spare hub (bearing hub that is), spare Aisin manual hubs, Cleaned/regreased/rebooted CV's, center carrier bearing, u-joints. I'm debating putting a new water pump in the box but I have replaced water pumps on all 3 of mine in the past year. I'm also debating a new starter and a new alternator just in case I decide to take on the soup bowl. (First gen electrics don't like muddy water) I'm also planning on a fuel pump since I will have a running spare after I install this other gas tank in Blackie.

Other than checking brakes, belts, hoses and other routine maintenance items and making sure they are good before I leave, I think I'll have most of the other possible broken parts on hand. IF i can get a good used head to rebuild before I go, I'll have it too! (along with gaskets) I'm 4+ hours away from home and when at URE and I hate being dependant on finding odd parts on Sunday.

By the time I get all of my spares together, I'll have to re-floor my trailer to carry everything 8)

#12 ·
Sep,

I have seen many people wheel multiple trips and not break anything. Then... I have seen some people routinly break multiple CVs, hubs, and the like. All this while running the same trails.

A lot of it comes down to driving style (and ability). Also trucks with lockers in the front tend to break more parts due to the added strain.

I would bring a spare set of hubs or drive flanges, a spare set of CVs, and a good fullsize spare tire. There is always a chance nothing will break. But, it could happen. Hit a local junkyard and pull the parts needed. This is also great practice for trail side repair conditions! :lol: Not to mention it is the cheapest way to get the parts you need. Find a box big enough to hold them and wrap them in plastic wrap to protect them from contaminants. It's a good idea to carry extra fluids with you as well.

The most important thing about wheeling is only using as much throttle as necessarily. Full throttle attacks seem to always yield destruction.

#13 ·
2002trooper4me said:
Full throttle attacks seem to always yield destruction.
You mean the guys with the V8 jeeps on youtube dont know what they're doing?

#14 ·
Med!c said:
Also does uwharrie have any mountain biking trails? Would anyone be interested in doing some leg powered trail rides?
You can ride your bike on any of the trails out there. The real question is whether you're in good enough shape to bike up some of those trails and that will have to be seen. :lol:

#15 ·
sep there are some paved trails for just fooling around on in the campground. All the gravel rooads would be good for the mountain bike. Stay off danials and use your head instead of your foot and you should be fine.

#16 ·
I would only go on daniel in someone elses truck as a passanger or camera man. lol

#19 ·
Bring at least one CV axle or you will have an early end to your weekend.
Tie rods, carry some stock ones just in case they get bent.

As for the mt bike, I have only seen one guy on a bike in the years I have been in URE. He said he was doing it for the challenge.
Hell some trails are hell on a dirt bike there.
There are trails on 24/27 for mtbiking. Not the 4wd trails.

Our trucks are pretty strong but it really comes down to skinny pedal and knowing where to line up.
I have driven there for years and have routinely gone out by myself, even at night and not broke ****.
Then again... about two years ago, it was just 'my turn' to be next to break something and i broke both front CV's.
Oh well.
And one more thing, and it does happen. I broke a OME Dakar spring.
So it is not feasible or practical to bring a leaf spring, but a heavy duty ratchet strap will get you home.
I do know plenty of people that bring extra driveshafts but they tend to have V8's and cromolies. So the 'fuse' is the shaft and the u-joints.

#20 ·
on 2nd gen troops how do you get the tie rods off on the inside end? On the outer side you can easily fit a puller and wallah it comes out, but there not enough room for the inside. This is whats actually prevented me from doing my tie rods, and they are pretty worn, so when i turn it all the way it clunks.

#25 ·
lorenzo816 said:
^^
yes he did.
that's a good one.

:albino:
Wish I could have been there for that one!!!! Can we laugh about that one now or is it "too soon"?? :D
I prob would have cried if I'd seen it happen, that is a beautiful truck you have Cronk!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.