Notes from Intake Manifold Gasket Replacment on 2001 Rodeo

Here are all of the best threads. Alert an admin to nominate a thread

Moderator: Staff

Postby radare » Thu Dec 30, 2010 7:16 pm

I just redid my intake manifold gasket, again, after getting the P0171 error code with CEL. I have put about 40k miles on the truck since I did the first IMG. The inside of the manifold was cleaner though still grimy. The EGR tube was almost completely blocked; I cleaned it out with an old motorcycle clutch cable.

I replaced all of the items mentioned below in 3 and 4 and it took me a full day's worth of work plus cleaning time and cost right around $225 for parts, using aftermarket parts. The truck seems to be running quite well after this batch of work.

Fel-pro has revised their gaskets and the new design seems MUCH better. They are made out of some sort of polymer/fiber mix which has the consistency of saddle leather. I torqued mine to the original 18 ft-lb torque as it looks like this design will serve well with a bit more compression.

Some additional things to consider when replacing your gasket:

1. The original TB mounting bolts only grab about a 1/4" worth of the intake. Consider replacing them with 55mm long versions to help avoid stripping. You'll need four M6x1.0 - 55mm bolts.

2. The factory service manual says to torque the TB bolts to 18 ft-lbs. This is too much torque for an M6 bolt in aluminum threads. "Tight is tight-enough" applies to these bolts.

3. If you're simply replacing the IMG, you'll need:
a. Intake manifold gasket set
b. EGR gasket
c. Throttlebody gasket
d. Fuel injector o-rings

4. While the manifold is off, also consider replacing:
a. Heater-hose o-rings (two, one at thermostat housing and one at coolant manifold)
b. Upper and lower radiator hoses
c. Thermostat
d. Thermostat bypass hose
e. Throttlebody coolant hoses (both)
f. Spark plugs
g. Serpentine belt and idler pulley
h. PCV valve and grommet
i. Vacuum hoses for FPR and vacuum manifold
Last edited by radare on Fri Jan 01, 2016 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'94 Isuzu Rodeo 4WD, 3.2L V6. 156k miles (Sold); '01 Isuzu Rodeo LS 4WD, 3.2L V6, 108k miles (Sold).
Currently restoring an '01 Rodeo Sport V6
My other passion: My Yamaha XJ600 and XJ600 Scrambler
radare
Mud King

Have thanks: 40 times

Sponsor

Postby ncatania » Sat Jan 15, 2011 6:38 am

I must revive this to say those are some mighty clean engines. how do you keep it so clean? mine is like permanently dirt colored. everything is all crappy and old on it haha.
Black 2002 Isuzu Rodeo Sport hardtop 4wd 125,000.
ncatania
Drives on Gravel

Have thanks: 0 time

Postby BLACKDEMON » Sat Jul 23, 2011 1:39 pm

jimmyc wrote:If this is what you mean, then this is the EGR.

Was anyone able to answer this question? What does EGR stands for? and where is located?
~1992 Isuzu Amigo 4x4~
*3.2L DOHC V6 swap!
*01 Rodeo Dash-board swap
*32's
*custom roof rack
*custom exhaust
BLACKDEMON
Loyal P'up

Re: Notes from Intake Manifold Gasket Replacment on 2001 Rod

Postby eyekode » Mon Feb 20, 2012 6:00 pm

I have just started this job myself. But I am stuck on getting everything off. Some of those vacuum hoses are really tough to remove. Any tricks?

Also it is near impossible to see what is going on near the firewall. Any hints as to what needs to be removed back there? It looks like the hose at the bottom of the EGR and the throttle cable at the other side? I played around back there for a while. Haven't yet been able to figure out what to remove.

I was also wondering if anyone has done this job and removed the upper and lower manifold as a single unit. Then you wouldn't have to take of the fuel rail or replace the injector o-rings right?
Thanks!
Salem
eyekode
Drives on Pavement

Re:

Postby eyekode » Mon Feb 20, 2012 7:25 pm

BLACKDEMON wrote:
jimmyc wrote:If this is what you mean, then this is the EGR.

Was anyone able to answer this question? What does EGR stands for? and where is located?

EGR stands for Exhaust Gas Recirulation.
Salem
eyekode
Drives on Pavement

Postby Med!c » Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:01 am

does the intake gunk up because the PCV lets oil in and the EGR throws crap into the intake that sticks to the oil that the PCV let in, or is all that magic that the EGR works up?
Med!c
I am the Stig

Have thanks: 86 times

Postby royz » Sat Jun 16, 2012 2:13 am

Hi I just stripped off the plenum & there was about an egg cup of oil in the lower part, does this seem right ?
Thanks Roy.
royz
Drives on Pavement

Postby ravi261 » Sat Jun 16, 2012 4:29 pm

The intake manifold/plenum should have no liquid in it. The only things you should find in there are grease and gunk from the exhaust feedback and the PCV. Something tells me your PCV valve is feeding oil into the intake, which isn't good.
ravi261
Donor
Donor

Have thanks: 67 times

Postby royz » Sat Jun 16, 2012 10:06 pm

What is the torque for the main 8mm nuts & bolts & do you oil the threads ? Thanks, Roy.
royz
Drives on Pavement

Postby royz » Sun Jun 17, 2012 6:23 pm

There is what looks like a tyre valve on the nearside fuel rail, what's with that ?
royz
Drives on Pavement

Postby royz » Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:38 pm

I've tightened the bolts down, diagonal pattern 15 lbs the 22 lbs, but the 4 nuts on the corners feel like the will strip after 18lbs, any reasurance, please. Roy.
royz
Drives on Pavement

Postby Laddy » Mon Jun 25, 2012 4:14 pm

I know I'm bringing an old thread back, but I would really appreciate some help removing the lower intake manifold.

In this picture:
[img]http://www.900saab.com/rodeo/rodeoimg6.jpg[/img]

How did you remove the left side bolt? I can't get any tools or fingers in there to even try.
Laddy
Drives on Gravel

Postby nj2481 » Sun Nov 04, 2012 8:01 pm

This is impossible.

There are bolts in the back that are impossible to reach with normal tools.
How in the world did you loosen that fuel line y bracket?
I have taken off everything but the left bolt on that bracket and the metal nut on that brass tube that gets to the EGR. (I guess you'd call it the EGR tube?)

I have almost gone into the garage 3 times already in search of a sledge hammer.

Not cool.

There is no way to get to this stuff from the back side, and I am pretty sure you guys haven't unbolted the motor mounts to shift the engine forward, right?

I am dumbfounded as to how you guys have done this. I am not un-handy with a wrench and I am pretty good at figuring stuff out, but I am on the verge of having it towed to a junkyard just to teach it a lesson. I am that fed up.
nj2481
Drives on Gravel

Postby timrkopi » Wed Nov 07, 2012 2:16 am

If I remember correctly I removed the fuel lines from the Y connector. I left the Y fuel connector on.

Also I think the next time I do this I will remove the fuel lines by the transmission and just lift out the
intake. I do not know if something else is holding them in between the trans and intake

Make sure you put all new collent hoses under there. They like to leak around 100K
timrkopi
Zu Royalty

Have thanks: 3 times

Postby pjohnson2682 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:43 am

I just this this on my 98 passport... I am pretty good around a car but far from a pro... ive done more than just oil changes and brake jobs but have never torn any major part off of an engine... It did however take me much longer than anyone else on here but i wanted to be sure to take my time and do it right without messing anything up... the reason for me doing it was because i had to replace my thermostat... when i finally got the entire intake off... i found there was a tiny hole in the thermostat housing that was not otherwide noticable....when i seperated the top from the bottom of the manifold... i fount it was caked with oil and gunk like the one pictured above... i actually used CRC brake parts cleaner.... i wish i would have seen this post before hand as it would have like;y made the whole job much easier... as for the the part with the two allen key bolts that is a pita to get off... i simply went and bought an extra allen key and cut a little more than half of the short end off and that worked really well... after cleaning the intake manifold.. it looked like the one pictured above... after all is said and done... i noticed the truck running alot smoother.. the job took me a day to tear down and about a day to put back together.. its a job almost anyone can do!! just take your time and if you follow this guys post, it will make your job much easier! that is if you are the type that can do more than the normal oil change or brake job.. i was very proud of myself for doing it, and doing it so well... ill put it to you like this... if i can do it... and you think you might be able to but arent sure... i recommend going for it... good luck to all!
pjohnson2682
Drives on Pavement

Postby skyav8r » Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:32 am

Hi fellows
New here on the forum. Sorry do resuscitating an old thread. I've got a 2002 rodeo. 3.2l . I had a radiator leak. Replaced that. New upper and lower hose. Filled it back up. Started the engine and noticed water dripping under the engine. Best I can tell it is coming from the rest of the block. I'll thinking the o ring on the at end of the heater hose has given to pressure and age. I'm going to tear the to apart and replace and clean everything mentioned in this and the other intake and thermostat threads. Who could I contact to order all the gaskets, o rings, and hoses. I was hoping to find a one stop shop kind place. Local auto zone doesn't have some of the stuff. Injector o rings and the heater o rings in particular.

Thanks for any info. Great forum. I decided to take this on after reading several threads here. Hopefully it will go smooth.
The rodeo has about 158000 miles on it. Pretty much trouble free thus far. Thanks

Brian
skyav8r
Drives on Pavement

Postby isuzutrooper01 » Tue Aug 20, 2013 1:57 am

Brian,

Have you had a chance to do it? I'm on the fence whether I should do it myself or have a mechanic do the replacement.
isuzutrooper01
Drives on Pavement

Postby isuzutrooper01 » Wed Aug 21, 2013 5:09 pm

I'm trying to figure out how many of the injector o-rings I would need? I found the Beck Arnley 158-0902 Fuel Injection O-Ring Kit on amazon for $6.65 but there are only 3 rings. Can someone help me out? Thanks.
isuzutrooper01
Drives on Pavement

Postby Pidguy » Mon Dec 30, 2013 8:37 pm

Thanks for good write-up and photos. Currently tackling this job myself due to a coolant leak somewhere down in there. Couple of items that I learned during the removal-
- Label all electrical and vacuum locations. There's a bunch of 'em...
- The EGR pipe beneath the EGR manifold must be disconnected prior to lifting the upper chamber (23 mm bolt).
- Two 12 mm bolts securing the fuel rail bracket supply lines to the backside of the chamber need to be removed prior to lifting the lower chamber.
- Once the chambers are out of the way, the thermostat housing cannot be removed without first removing the coolant bypass pipes. I'd like to strangle the genius that came up with this thermostat pipe design...
- Two O-rings for the coolant supply and return pipes are amazingly expensive (4.00 for one; 30.00 for the other, geez).
- Yep, mine was cruddy too. Three cans of carb cleaner got all parts clean enough.
Pidguy
Drives on Pavement

Postby Frank_1175 » Tue May 20, 2014 5:55 pm

Here I go on my second IMG and THANK YOU for taking the time to put this together! I helps tremendously.
Frank

2000 Isuzu Amigo " The Enemigo"
RIP: September 2014 - T-Boned, Driver's Side
86,000 Miles - 3.2 V6 Automatic Transmission - Hard Top
Chicago, IL
http://www.isuzufaq.com/
http://www.troublecodes.net/isuzu/iszuobd2.shtml
ABS Codes:
http://lasanguine.com/RodeoTechnical/ABSDTC.pdf

.______
|_|_ \__ \__
|____ [O]|||[O]
-()_)--()_)----)_)
Frank_1175
Has a Trail Truck

Have thanks: 1 time

Postby rcamacho » Sat Oct 11, 2014 10:31 pm

I just completed the ERG pipe cleaning procedure and found the plenum area behind the TB is really dirty at 110K miles. Looks like this procedure is in order.
rcamacho
Drives on Pavement

Have thanks: 1 time

Postby egagnon086 » Thu Nov 20, 2014 8:53 am

Pics. don't show up. Any idea if they are stored anywhere else.
egagnon086
Zu Royalty

Have thanks: 98 times

Postby csonni » Thu Mar 19, 2015 7:10 am

I know his is an old post, but can the OP get those images to show up in this thread?
csonni
Loyal P'up

Postby killersloth » Wed Apr 01, 2015 6:19 pm

csonni wrote:I know his is an old post, but can the OP get those images to show up in this thread?

I second this request.
Looking to do this and also valve covers. Worded description is great and all, but a picture is, well, you know.
2001 Rodeo LS 3.2L V6
killersloth
Drives on Pavement

Postby truelion07 » Mon Aug 24, 2015 10:03 am

I am interested in seeing the pictures for this post/tutorial, I'll be attempting this soon.
truelion07
Drives on Dirt

PreviousNext

Return to Hall of Fame