Ball Joints CV Axle replacement Pictures

Here are all of the best threads. Alert an admin to nominate a thread

Moderator: Staff

Ball Joints CV Axle replacement Pictures

Postby WillyLin » Mon Apr 30, 2012 11:39 am

I would like to share some pictures and tips for replacing the CV axle and also ball joints

My CV boot had been torn for over two years, and it would make clicking sound while in 4WD, I had manual locking hubs. Got the NEW CV Half Axle for about $55.

Tools you will need,
Jack, jack stands, 19mm for wheel, 17mm for caliper slide, 14mm for ball joints , 22mm upper ball joint and tie rod, 27mm for lower ball joint, 2lb+ hammer, pitman arm puller, screw driver. CV boot tool.
My car is 1993 trooper, I believe most will be similar for all Isuzu's only different would probably be the different upper ball joint with four bolts type joint instead of three for this year of trooper.

you can see this is a very bad CV axle joint and torn boot

begins here by putting the vehicle on jackstands and take off the wheel

take off brake caliper by these sliding pins, should be 17mm bolt. there are two on each caliper, take the caliper off and hang it with a wire somewhere so the brake line stay relaxed.

take off the cotter pin of the tie rod, and take off the nut (22mm)

hammer here to set it free

here the spindle off steering tie rod.

it will be easier to take the ring off the axle in the hub. open your hub and take off the snap ring holding axle in place.

now the lower ball joint, take off the cotter pin and loosen the nut (27mm), then using the pitman arm puller like in picture

I used 4lb hammer to hit the spindle here while the puller on. This may take a while for you but the only way (for me) to do this was to hit it hard.

the lower ball joint is now off the spindle, and make the axle out of the way, do the upper joint (22mm) the same way with puller and the hammer. some penetrating oil will help. Then there are four bolts and nuts (17mm) holds lower ball joint and three bolts and nuts (14mm) for upper ball joint, take these off and the ball joints can be removed from control arms.

I cut off the old inner CV boot ( new one come with it) and you can see there's a little ring that locks the joint inside the housing, using a flat screw driver to take it out.

old vs. new CV

clean out the inner CV housing

squeeze in the CV grease, this come with the CV axle I bought

1/2 - 3/4 full,

push the new CV axle in the housing, and put back the ring in the groove in the housing. clamp the inner boot on the housing ( you might need special tool for your cv boot clamp)

Just spray Paint the area While I am in there, cost me $1 ~$2 , could have used enamel paint would probably last longer, but I used the $1 paint from Wal Mart.

with lower ball joint off the control arm.

put everything back in reverse order.
done.
Image Image 1993 Trooper LS, auto, 169k miles, OME 919 + spacer >3" lift, TW 32" tires
Warn Manual Locking Hubs, Rancho 5000 Shocks, 3000k 55W HID Fog Lights, additional B&M ATF cooler, interior LED lights, subwoofer.

WillyLin was thanked by:
95BadBoyEd92Rodeoozfestrepublic
WillyLin
Trail Master

Have thanks: 12 times

Sponsor

Re: Ball Joints CV Axle replacement Pictures

Postby Gizmo42 » Mon Apr 30, 2012 12:00 pm

Nicely done! I really need to do my ball joints again one of these days. Keep tearing boots.
--Dave
onetouch wrote:You're doomed Giz.
Gizmo42
Subscriber

Have thanks: 132 times

Postby WillyLin » Mon Apr 30, 2012 12:04 pm

upper ball joint bought from eBay, about $25 a pair

shot lower joint

new lower joint with grease fitting,($25 a pair eBay)

this is on driver side I did earlier, without a $1 paint job, and I mount both upper ball joints under the control arms ( as flip upper ball joint to gain more down travel and better camber angle after cranking the torsion bars )
well worth that $1 of spray can...

Gizmo42 wrote:Nicely done! I really need to do my ball joints again one of these days. Keep tearing boots.

the upper one or lower one?? my lower joints were bad, it would vibrate while doing 30~40 mph.... I just bought the cheap set from ebay, for like $25 a pair... I'll see how long it lasts...they are grease-able too
Last edited by WillyLin on Tue May 01, 2012 10:52 am, edited 2 times in total.
Image Image 1993 Trooper LS, auto, 169k miles, OME 919 + spacer >3" lift, TW 32" tires
Warn Manual Locking Hubs, Rancho 5000 Shocks, 3000k 55W HID Fog Lights, additional B&M ATF cooler, interior LED lights, subwoofer.
WillyLin
Trail Master

Postby Dae » Mon Apr 30, 2012 12:24 pm

Nice job! Thanks for taking all these pics and documenting.

Hopefully the cheap joints last long. I've seen mixed reviews on them. Maybe theyre better than mine.
I just replaced my "premium" Moog uppers, that only made it 3 years of street driving. :roll:
"My Isuzu has crossed the Pacific Ocean!... twice!!"

2001 Isuzu Rodeo LS :: 3.2L V6 Auto 4L30E >> clicky for pics <<
Kenwood KDC-X493 deck and speakers all around :: 10" Infinity sub, ported 300 watts RMS bridged
OME 913's :: Monroe Sensatracs + 2" Lift :: Firestone Destination All-Terrain LT245/75R16 + 1" extra
Indy4x brake lines :: Poly swaybar bushings :: Flowmaster 50 Series SUV :: Detroit Truetrac helical LSD
Dae
Donor

Have thanks: 27 times

Postby Gizmo42 » Mon Apr 30, 2012 12:56 pm

My lower ones really eat the boots, but the uppers are cracking. I usually do them all at once anyway. Dont think mine are bad yet but should be done at some point with all the off roading I normally do.
--Dave
onetouch wrote:You're doomed Giz.
Gizmo42
Subscriber

Have thanks: 132 times

Postby 95BadBoy » Mon Apr 30, 2012 2:04 pm

Good walk through. Nice clear pic's to boot.
88 5 speed Trooper no rust - w/blown motor - Picked up in Ohio 7-21-12 - this will take some time :)
88 Autobox Trooper (White) fairly clean - Picked up near Bend Oregon 11-4-15 - 3698 miles to get it
05 Jeep TJ RME- 4.0 42RLE with a couple of things
05 Jeep KJ Sport - 2.8 CRD - GDE Tuned - 2.5 OME Lift - JK Moabs - Rolla Basket - Sold 10-20-2015
95BadBoy
Mud King

Have thanks: 23 times

Postby itsmehb » Tue May 01, 2012 8:51 am

Great post, and the pics are great too. I found this is the best way when replacing the shafts, especially if you need ball joints too. I used McQuay Norris ball joints on the 85 I just redid. They really look robust and if they perform like they look, they will be fine. Thanks again for the informative post.
1990 Amigo, 2.3 5 speed (sold)
1991 Pick up (long gone)
2000 Amigo, 2.2 5 speed(sold)
1985 Trooper 1.9 4 speed (sent back to KS)
1989 Trooper RS 2.6 5 spd. Red

We get too soon old and too late smart!
itsmehb
I am the Stig

Have thanks: 200 times

Postby WillyLin » Sat May 05, 2012 11:14 pm

itsmehb wrote:Great post, and the pics are great too. I found this is the best way when replacing the shafts, especially if you need ball joints too. I used McQuay Norris ball joints on the 85 I just redid. They really look robust and if they perform like they look, they will be fine. Thanks again for the informative post.

thank you

how much were the ball joints you bought?? I don't know if I should get a better one, maybe its really you get what you pay for but if its cheaper why not?
WillyLin
Trail Master

Postby WillyLin » Thu May 10, 2012 4:55 pm

so far trooper still drives good on the road , and can't make it to Moab this year :( ... have to test it out some other time...

For this post the author WillyLin was thanked by:
republic
WillyLin
Trail Master

Postby DSUZU » Thu May 10, 2012 8:40 pm

Thanks for posting all of that. I just did all of that to my Spacecab a few weeks ago, I managed to look up a similiar posting somewhere, but you put it all together treally well here. Dennis
1991 LS Trooper 2.8 V6 5 speed conversion (Sold)
1989 LS Spacecab 2.6 5 speed 4x4 manual hubs, Rodeo torsion bars, extended shackles, 2" lift, K&N airfilter (drop in), dump bed conversion, burgundy interior change, warn brush bar.
Previously owned: 1987 Trooper II LS, 1989 Trooper (parts only), 1994 Trooper 3.2 Auto, 1997 Rodeo 2.6 5 speed, 1993 shortbed pickup 2.3 (project - sold) 1992 Rodeo 4x4 LS (parts car, devoured by Spacecab needs) plus some 70 plus other non Isuzu vehicles over the years.

http://forum.planetisuzoo.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=64060

The American dream is getting farther and farther away from the American.

If your wife has 5.00, and you have 20.00, your wife has...25.00

"Water is one of the greatest essentials of life. Without water, you can't make coffee."
DSUZU
I am the Stig

Have thanks: 616 times

Postby chuffer » Fri May 11, 2012 10:05 am

Great pictures and write-up. I rarely have the patience to pull out the camera when wrenching. That takes a lot of effort. Thank you.

One addition: use PB Blaster. I always read on here about people wailing on the knuckle with a big hammer to pop the BJs loose. I tried this on my passenger side a couple weeks back -swinging the BFH as hard as I could with the P-arm puller so tight I thought I was gonna strip it. Nothing. Just sore hands & ringing ears. I took the P-arm puller off and sprayed a little PB blaster up into the BJ-knuckle taper and tried again. The BJ popped right out with only the tension from the puller.

Tried the same technique on the drivers side. Loosen the nut, spray PB, wait ten minutes and then apply P-arm puller. BJ Popped right out. I did not even need to bang on the D-side.
-Chris
Shiba Wichern Cellars - Pinot Noir from Oregon - Order some!
1988 Isuzu Trooper 2.6l 5-spd aka "Stinky"
2007 Toyota Tacoma aka "Taco-kun"
1986 Ford F250 aka "Mr. Green Jeans"
1979 IH Scout II aka "Boroboro-kun"
chuffer
Almost Joe Isuzu

Have thanks: 119 times

Postby johnny5ive » Fri May 11, 2012 5:42 pm

Awesome write up. Everything looks identical to the first gen stuff.
johnny5ive
I am the Stig

Have thanks: 0 time

Postby recon » Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:47 pm

:D wow great pictures and right up 8) recon
1995 isuzu 4x4 pickup|2.6 4cyl|5spd|3 inch body lift|2.5 inch suspension lift|33 inch treadwright wardens|indy4x hd tie rods|custom winch mount|12000 lb winch|extreme high lift jack|off road lights|front and rear aussie lockers|1.5 inch diff/crossmember drop|sway a way hd torsion bars|jeep trail rated badge|moog ball joints|moog center link|precision cv axle boots|optima battery|skyjacker steering stabilizer|tinted windows|bedliner|window rain guards|Indy4x braided brake lines|indy4x sway bar bushings|exedy daikin clutch kit|revolution 3.07 transfer case gears

Build Thread: http://forum.planetisuzoo.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=53703&hilit=evolution+of+my+truck
recon
Almost Joe Isuzu

Have thanks: 47 times

Postby Eer-lumni » Sat Jan 25, 2014 4:16 pm

Would there be any differences at all i could expect on a 2001 Rodeo? Thanks
2001 Rodeo LS 3.2L, OME 3" lift, 15" snowflakes, 32X11.50 BFG AT's, G80, DOR rear bumper
Eer-lumni
Rodeo King

Have thanks: 3 times

Postby CeeKay » Thu Oct 02, 2014 5:30 pm

Sorry for the bump, but.... This helped immensely with my '94 Pickup 4x4 ball joint job... Thanks! :D
'94 Isuzu P'up 4x4 =Build Thread= :D
'90 Isuzu P'up 2x4 =Mini-truck project, forever a project= :)
'92 Isuzu P'up 2x4 =Sold many a year ago=

Isuzus aren't few because they're junk; Isuzus are few because they're so damn good!
- Rutherford B. Hayes
CeeKay
Loyal P'up

Have thanks: 4 times

Postby WillyLin » Thu Oct 09, 2014 12:30 am

All the Isuzu should be very similar, rodeo would probably have different upper ball joint with four bolts. but procedures should be the same.
I'm glad my post can help anyone :)
WillyLin
Trail Master

Postby shibbershabber » Mon Mar 30, 2015 12:23 pm

Hey, so a few years on, how are the cheap ebay ball joints holding up?

Im about to dig into my axles and found a set of joints super cheap on ebay and thought i may as well replace everything while Im in there.

Everyone bashes cheap parts... but even moderate to expensive parts are coming from China or Mexico anymore. I feel like 1/2 of the price is for the part and the other half is to maintain brand image, corporate salaries, advertising campaigns and sponsorships.

So, how are they doing today?
shibbershabber
Drives on Gravel

Re: Ball Joints CV Axle replacement Pictures: SNAP RING

Postby PhilD » Sat Nov 14, 2015 11:32 pm

- If you can’t get a ball joint out of the spindle, unbolt the spindle from the control arms, then remove the spindle from the vehicle: with the extra room and a better angle, it’ll only take one or two strikes with a hammer to free the ball joint.
- Note that there may be spacers behind the snap ring at the end of the axle: when I removed the axle, there were 2 spacers; when I installed a new axle, only 1 of the spacers would fit; small manufacturing deviation, I assume.
Last edited by PhilD on Wed Dec 16, 2015 8:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
PhilD
Drives in Mud

Have thanks: 1 time

Postby gblinker182 » Sun Dec 06, 2015 4:31 am

Just a friendly tip for Rodeo owners, I just did this on my 99 and the whole procedure is exactly the same as here, the upper ball joint also have 3 bolts. the only thing that I had to deal with differently was to take off the rotor and remove the abs sensor which was annoying since I dont even use my abs. Thanks for this great how to!
1999 Rodeo LSE 4x4 White with grey Leather interior
Full Audio system Upgrade, Infinity Reference Interiors and One 12'' Kicker Solo Classic Sub
Pioneer Deck
Work In Progress
Live Love Burn Die.
gblinker182
Drives on Dirt

Postby CalenK » Sat Jul 02, 2016 4:57 pm

Just been replacing my CV's on my 89 trooper and Just wanted to add to this thread as everywhere i read about the steps to replace them involved removing tie rod joints and lower ball joints. I was able to easily replace my CV's while only undoing the upper ball joint. I wasted about 2 hours trying to get the lower ball joint apart when I just tried snaking the cv out with only the upper ball joint released and it totally worked. So anyone doing this, don't bother taking everything apart. just pop the one upper ball joint.
CalenK
Drives on Gravel

Return to Hall of Fame