How To: Retro-fit Projectors into Rodeo Headlights!

Here are all of the best threads. Alert an admin to nominate a thread

Moderator: Staff

Re: How To: Retro-fit Projectors into Rodeo Headlights!

Postby Jay » Mon Jan 02, 2012 12:04 am

Cool Thanks. Yes, the red lettering does show up better. At least for my eyes.

[quote="clipper 03 rodeo"]Thanks Jay. I redid the lettering on my diagram to hopefully make it easier to read, but sadly I can't edit the pics here for whatever reason. If I try to add new pics or edit the ones that are up they won't work. I had to have Tad fix the ones that I added a while ago.

Here is a link to my build thread, I posted the pic of the wire harness there with the new lettering. If it's still to hard for you to read I can make it slightly bigger.

I also got new pics of what the lights look like from the driver seat Sam. Go to link below.

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=54490&p=500876#p500876[/quote]
Jay
Donor
Donor

Have thanks: 15 times

Sponsor

Postby clipper 03 rodeo » Mon Jan 02, 2012 2:41 pm

Cool, i'm glad it's easier to see.

Just added some new pics to my build thread.
clipper 03 rodeo
Zu Royalty

Have thanks: 71 times

Postby JONBOY345 » Mon Jan 02, 2012 9:42 pm

Absolutely awesome job man. I'm really impressed with the end result.
So glad I found that website, a welcome find for the planet as I can tell already.
Can't wait to do this on my Rodeo.
JONBOY345
Trail Rider

Have thanks: 3 times

Postby clipper 03 rodeo » Tue Jan 03, 2012 12:27 pm

Thanks man, the only small issue I still have is that my high beam indicator on my dash is still stuck on rather or not the high or low beams are on. I sent a message to TRS to see if they know what's going on with that, but it doesnt really bother me. Where I sit and the way my steering wheel is adjusted it blocks the high beam light anyways, so I usually can't tell it's even on. I guess if there isn't really a fix for it i'll just remove the bulb, i'll also pull out that pesky ABS bulb while i'm at it haha.

If I get a reply on how to fix this problem i'll definetly post up and let you guys know.
clipper 03 rodeo
Zu Royalty

Postby twilson » Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:19 am

[quote="clipper 03 rodeo"]Thanks man, the only small issue I still have is that my high beam indicator on my dash is still stuck on rather or not the high or low beams are on. I sent a message to TRS to see if they know what's going on with that, but it doesnt really bother me. Where I sit and the way my steering wheel is adjusted it blocks the high beam light anyways, so I usually can't tell it's even on. I guess if there isn't really a fix for it i'll just remove the bulb, i'll also pull out that pesky ABS bulb while i'm at it haha.

If I get a reply on how to fix this problem i'll definetly post up and let you guys know.[/quote]

Im not sure what housing you have but i have 9004 with the ground being in the middle. I had this same issue with HIDS.. Try moving your low beam positive and high beam (swap the two red wires in the housing ) that will resolve your issue.. You have your low beam hot wire in your high beam most likely.
twilson
Trail Master

Have thanks: 9 times

Postby clipper 03 rodeo » Wed Jan 04, 2012 12:05 pm

Hmm i'll look into it more. If I have to cut the wiring harness to be able to fix it i'm not going to do it, mainly because everything functions perfectly right now, and I don't want to screw something up. Since the light doesnt bother me too much i'm going to leave it as is for now, but if I find out it's an easy fix i'll do it as long as I don't have to cut any of the wiring.
clipper 03 rodeo
Zu Royalty

Postby clipper 03 rodeo » Fri Jan 06, 2012 11:08 am

I talked to TRS and they gave me a few good suggestions on how to fix the light, but sadly none of them worked. I'm replacing all of my gauge cluster lights with LED's soon so i'm just going to remove the high beam bulb while i'm in there. I never pay attention to that light anyways and I can clearly see if my high beams are on with these lights, so it's no biggie.
clipper 03 rodeo
Zu Royalty

Postby clipper 03 rodeo » Fri Jan 06, 2012 11:11 am

Also the lights are still doing great. No condensation build up in the housings, both lights fire up every time I turn them on (unlike the cheap Ebay HID kits), ect.. Couldnt be happier with the outcome.
clipper 03 rodeo
Zu Royalty

Postby Selahdoor » Fri Jan 06, 2012 12:44 pm

In your headlights, the little angled reflective serfaces are intended to direct the light from the filaments in certain ways. It's different for the 'high' filament, than it is for the low.

When the high filament is on, that means that the wrong part of one of the headlights is being used when you are on lows.

And that means glare for oncoming traffic. At the very least.

Take the time and figure out which two wires are switched, and fix it.

It's not that difficult.
-Jeff
1988 Trooper LS. 4ZE1. mua5.

How can I help you or make you laugh today?
Selahdoor
Forum Admin

Have thanks: 165 times

Postby clipper 03 rodeo » Fri Jan 06, 2012 1:56 pm

These HID's aren't dual filament like the stock halogen bulbs, the high beam switch is now just connected to a solenoid in each projector, and when you switch the high beams on it doesnt change anything with the low beam anymore, it just activates that solenoid to drop the cutoff line shield. So the HID's are getting a full 50w at all times rather the lows or highs are on, and it's all within the projector. The stock headlight reflectors have nothing to do with the light ouput anymore, and since my projectors are properly aimed i'm not going to blind or cause glare to oncoming traffic with my low beams.

I'm going to try a couple more things to see if it fixes it, we'll see though.
clipper 03 rodeo
Zu Royalty

Postby clipper 03 rodeo » Fri Jan 06, 2012 2:17 pm

That main thing I just don't get is that everything functions perfectly as they should. The low beams are both on when I turn my lights on, and the high beams click on/off as they should. So it seems that all the wires are in the right places (and they should be since the harness is specifically made) or I would be experiencing different issues, and i've tried swapping the high beam wires around already and it didn't change anything. Another thing I noticed is that if the lights are all completely off the high beam indicator of course isn't on, but if I pull back the high beam lever (like you would to flash your highs at someone) the high beam indicator comes on like it should, and turns off when I let go as it should. Then as soon as I turn on the actual headlights that indicator light is on no matter what.

The guys at TRS are even stumped on this one. Since i've tried several things and everything works i'm probably just going to pull the bulb when I do my LED's. Like I said it's not a big deal to me at all, so it seems like the easiest/best solution to me. I feel like if I start cutting or doing other things with my harness i'll just run into bigger issues than just the indicator light being on so i'm not going to mess with it.
clipper 03 rodeo
Zu Royalty

Postby Selahdoor » Fri Jan 06, 2012 2:17 pm

clipper 03 rodeo wrote:These HID's aren't dual filament like the stock halogen bulbs, the high beam switch is now just connected to a solenoid in each projector, and when you switch the high beams on it doesnt change anything with the low beam anymore, it just activates that solenoid to drop the cutoff line shield. So the HID's are getting a full 50w at all times rather the lows or highs are on, and it's all within the projector. The stock headlight reflectors have nothing to do with the light ouput anymore, and since my projectors are properly aimed i'm not going to blind or cause glare to oncoming traffic with my low beams.

I'm going to try a couple more things to see if it fixes it, we'll see though.

Ah.

Thank you. I'm glad to learn that.

:D :D

Old dog. New tricks. Still barkin' 'bout the old ones, though ! :lol: :lol:
-Jeff

Selahdoor
Forum Admin

Postby Selahdoor » Fri Jan 06, 2012 2:21 pm

clipper 03 rodeo wrote:That main thing I just don't get is that everything functions perfectly as they should. The low beams are both on when I turn my lights on, and the high beams click on/off as they should. So it seems that all the wires are in the right places (and they should be since the harness is specifically made) or I would be experiencing different issues, and i've tried swapping the high beam wires around already and it didn't change anything. Another thing I noticed is that if the lights are all completely off the high beam indicator of course isn't on, but if I pull back the high beam lever (like you would to flash your highs at someone) the high beam indicator comes on like it should, and turns off when I let go as it should. Then as soon as I turn on the actual headlights that indicator light is on no matter what.

The guys at TRS are even stumped on this one. Since i've tried several things and everything works i'm probably just going to pull the bulb when I do my LED's. Like I said it's not a big deal to me at all, so it seems like the easiest/best solution to me. I feel like if I start cutting or doing other things with my harness i'll just run into bigger issues than just the indicator light being on so i'm not going to mess with it.

Sounds like you are being responsible.

Thank you, for that, from a grumpy old fart who has difficulty with oncoming light glare at night. LOL

I'll try to remember this later, and come back to it when I have a bit more time, to see if I can in any way help you to suss out the real problem.
-Jeff

Selahdoor
Forum Admin

Postby clipper 03 rodeo » Fri Jan 06, 2012 2:32 pm

Haha, no problem. I also get pissy when people are blinding me or there is a crazy amount of glare. That's the whole reason I did it right and added projectors instead of plugging some HID's into my stock headlight housings.

Thanks, I won't be tearing my dash apart until next week so if you have any suggestions on a fix i'm willing to try it as long as it doesnt involve cutting.
clipper 03 rodeo
Zu Royalty

Postby streetersam » Fri Jan 06, 2012 4:49 pm

If I were you, Clipper, I'd just pull the bulb and be done with it. As you said, you'll know when your highs are on, and so will everyone else on the road!

My 4WD light has been blinking for about 2 years now; it stays steady when 4WD is engaged but flashes at all times now; I just ignore it cuz it's easy to tell when 4WD is engaged so it's no biggie.

Indicator lights are helpful, but some of them you can easily live without.

If it really bothers you, you could always buy an indicator at an auto parts store and wire it up
streetersam
Expedition Ready

Have thanks: 17 times

Postby clipper 03 rodeo » Fri Jan 06, 2012 5:40 pm

Yeah I agree with you, that's why there is a 99% chance i'll be pulling the bulb next week. I say 99% because there is a possibility someone will come out of nowhere with a suggestion that fixes it, but highly doubtful since i've messed with it some, TRS doesnt know what's going on, ect.. so i'll probably be pulling the bulb.
clipper 03 rodeo
Zu Royalty

Postby 98HPasSport » Fri Jan 06, 2012 8:44 pm

Maybe your issue with the highbeam indicator in the cluster has something to do with the fact you are only using one headlight plug for that kit instead of both? Maybe it's thinking you have one headlight not working and that's its way of telling you by keeping the highbeam indicator on. Try to plug one of the old halogen bulbs in that unused plug just for shits and giggles....
98HPasSport
Has a Trail Truck

Have thanks: 0 time

Postby clipper 03 rodeo » Fri Jan 06, 2012 11:48 pm

That's actually what TRS told me to try, I went and tried it already and it didn't change anything at all unfortunatly.
clipper 03 rodeo
Zu Royalty

Postby 98HPasSport » Sat Jan 07, 2012 1:35 pm

OK two other ideas:

1) How about trying to make a Y-harness to connect both headlight plugs to that one single plug for the HID kit?

2) Maybe it's the flap solenoids as compared to the high beam bulb filaments. They hold the flap open for high beam which I think has a different power draw than lighting the highbeam filaments.

Check out how bright these are!

http://youtu.be/jPKy1KAz8OM
98HPasSport
Has a Trail Truck

Have thanks: 0 time

Postby RandyAM » Fri Jan 13, 2012 1:59 pm

Any chance of this being available for a first gen rodeo??
RandyAM
Expedition Ready

Have thanks: 2 times

Postby JONBOY345 » Fri Jan 13, 2012 3:56 pm

It will work for most headlights, this write up is just for the 2nd gen.
JONBOY345
Trail Rider

Have thanks: 3 times

Postby clipper 03 rodeo » Fri Jan 13, 2012 4:02 pm

You can do it on your 1st gen Rodeo, but sadly it would be worthless. The reason I say that is because the 1st gen Rodeo headlights have the refraction lines in the lenses of the lights. For projectors to do their job right, the lense on the headlights must be perfectly clear like on 2000+ Rodeos. If you put projectors in yours it would still scatter the light just like it would if you put HID's in your headlights without them.
clipper 03 rodeo
Zu Royalty

Postby RandyAM » Fri Jan 13, 2012 7:23 pm

But if i found an aftermarket clear lens.....which probably doesnt exist.....alrighty then.
RandyAM
Expedition Ready

Have thanks: 2 times

Postby clipper 03 rodeo » Fri Jan 13, 2012 7:49 pm

Yes sir, i've actually thought about getting together with a manufacture to get some clear replacement lenses for the 1st gen Rodeos and all of the Troopers, but I don't think there is enough demand. You could always just find a plastic injection mold manufacture and have them make molds of your stock lenses but make them clear, but they might cost a pretty penny.
clipper 03 rodeo
Zu Royalty

Postby clipper 03 rodeo » Tue Jan 17, 2012 1:29 pm

Also to anyone wondering, I went ahead and removed the high beam indicator light this past weekend.
clipper 03 rodeo
Zu Royalty

PreviousNext

Return to Hall of Fame