How To: Retro-fit Projectors into Rodeo Headlights!

Here are all of the best threads. Alert an admin to nominate a thread

Moderator: Staff

Re: How To: Retro-fit Projectors into Rodeo Headlights!

Postby clipper 03 rodeo » Mon Apr 09, 2012 5:15 pm

Update:

I really wish I would have read this info before I bought my stuff, but if your are going to do this conversion with the same projectors I got, do NOT get the 50w HID kit with them. You should use the 35w HID kit.

I found out the hard way that if you use the 50w kit with these mini projectors, you will eventually burn the reflector bowl inside of the projectors due to the extra heat. My driver side cutoff line beam is now blurry and has a brownish color to it, the passenger side still looks fine (still has a sharp cutoff line and the color is consistant with no brown). The light output is still good, but you only notice the brownish color spot when the lights are shining on a wall or something at a close distance. I know it's not a big deal since it hasnt affected the light output when out on the road (from what I can tell) but I will be replacing my projectors with new ones and will also be getting a 35w HID kit to go in them so I don't burn the new ones up too.
clipper 03 rodeo
Zu Royalty

Have thanks: 71 times

Sponsor

Postby Ian1006 » Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:26 pm

That sucks, I am sorry about. Do they tell you on the website? Will they refund?
Ian1006
Zu Royalty

Have thanks: 11 times

Postby clipper 03 rodeo » Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:49 pm

Yeah it sucks, I sent the owner an e-mail this afternoon asking if they would replace the projectors under warrany (since it says the kit has a 5 year warranty), so we'll see the response I get. I'm really hoping they will replace them for me.

Also it doesn't say anything on the site about not using the 50w kit with these projectors. I did see on HIDPlanet that they say not to use the 50w kit with all mini projectors since it could possibly melt the shrouds, but my shrounds are perfect still.
clipper 03 rodeo
Zu Royalty

Postby clipper 03 rodeo » Tue Apr 10, 2012 2:58 pm

Got an e-mail back, they are going to be sending me brand new projector bowls to replace mine to fix the issue. Very nice bunch of guys, and there are no questions asked.
clipper 03 rodeo
Zu Royalty

Postby streetersam » Tue Apr 10, 2012 5:26 pm

That's great! Thanks for the warning about the 55w, when (if) I get around to doing this I was gonna use those

I've heard nothing but good things about both the quality of the product and the customer service from TRS; it's nice to hear there are still companies left that have values
streetersam
Expedition Ready

Have thanks: 17 times

Postby 98HPasSport » Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:34 pm

From the looks of it, those projector housings look plastic....no wonder they burned. They aren't metal like the ones luxury car manufacturers use. I believe they sell the Acura and Infiniti projectors right? ....but that involves cutting up your headlight housing to make them fit.
98HPasSport
Has a Trail Truck

Have thanks: 0 time

Postby clipper 03 rodeo » Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:47 pm

Yeah your right.

I thought about getting some Acura OEM bi-xenon projectors but I didn't feel like cutting the housings up and permanently molding them to the headlights. I've been really happy with these D2S projectors but the plastic bowls are a downside to them. If you use the 35w HID kits with them you shouldnt have any issues.
clipper 03 rodeo
Zu Royalty

Postby clipper 03 rodeo » Fri Apr 13, 2012 12:14 pm

Update:

It turns out it's not a burnt bowl, it's a defective cutoff sheld in the projector. I didn't think of it before but the brownish color is only there with the low beam, when I turn the highs on it dissapears so it couldnt have been the bowls, and TRS confirmed they think it's the cutoff shield. Anyways, I came across a brand new set of the D2S projectors (same as mine) along with some 35w ballast and 6000k bulbs for a great price so I bought them, they are the same brands I have now, but the ballast/bulbs are 35w instead of the 50w I have now.

After doing a lot of thinking, I found out what I want to do.

1. Install new projectors in my headlights, along with the new 35w ballast/bulbs.
2. Take old projectors and remove cutoff shields from them (this will get rid of the defective cutoff shield and will be permanent high beams).
3. Buy foglights to fit in bumper cutouts on my Rodeo.
4. Cut foglights and permanently mold the modified projectors into the foglight housings.
5. Install foglights on Rodeo and wire up my current 50w HID kit to them.
6. Make some kind of splash shield to protect projector from water

The reason i'm going to use the 35w HID kit in my headlights is because they will be used more than anything, and this will cut down on heat and help protect the projectors from damage. Then i'll have super bright/wide foglights with the 50w HID hooked up to them, since they won't be 100% sealed they should do okay with heat even with a custom splash shield in place. I will update when I have this done, if anyone is interested I can do a "how to" on this too.
clipper 03 rodeo
Zu Royalty

Postby clipper 03 rodeo » Mon Apr 16, 2012 3:23 pm

Got the issue fixed. The solenoid was sticking and wasn't allowing the cutoff sheild to fully go back into it's original position, so that's why it made the cutoff blurry and also made the yellowish brown color at the "step" of the cutoff. After slightly bending the shield a little bit, and lubing up the solenoid plunger and shield hinges it looks just like the passenger side now. Nice sharp cutoff with a nice blueish color instead of the yellow at the cutoff line.

So this was NOT caused by the higher 50w HID kit, so far the projectors have done great with them installed.
clipper 03 rodeo
Zu Royalty

Postby 98HPasSport » Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:48 pm

post pics with the 35w kit on...i wanna see the difference in brightness.
98HPasSport
Has a Trail Truck

Postby 98HPasSport » Thu Apr 19, 2012 10:45 pm

This kid is cool to watch on how he makes his custom projectors: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=imIiglkq ... el&list=UL

Although some of the work he does I would do more skillfully....like use that dremel like a pro, instead of breaking off pieces LOL
98HPasSport
Has a Trail Truck

Postby clipper 03 rodeo » Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:03 pm

Haha nice.

If anyone is interested, I decided to sell the projectors, 35w ballast, and the 6000k bulbs. The projectors and bulbs are new in the box, the ballast are slightly used but in good condition, and come with new D2S adaptor harnesses with them. If interested shoot me a PM.
clipper 03 rodeo
Zu Royalty

Postby 98HPasSport » Thu Apr 26, 2012 7:00 pm

You selling the Headlights or an extra kit you have laying around? Got pics?
98HPasSport
Has a Trail Truck

Postby clipper 03 rodeo » Thu Apr 26, 2012 7:37 pm

It's just the projectors, ballast, and bulbs I have for sale. The only things needed to make it 100% complete is the shrouds and harness. I sent you a PM.
clipper 03 rodeo
Zu Royalty

Postby clipper 03 rodeo » Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:02 am

I finally decided to re-do the retrofit on the Rodeo. Since it looks like it will be sticking around a while longer I want the best lighting possible for it. The Mini D2S 2.0 Projectors that were on it were a lot better than stock, but they are on the bottom of the list for the best performing projectors. I'm also going to use OEM projectors and do a "real" retrofit that involves cutting of the headlights and permanently mounting them instead of the plug and play reversable Minis. The results will defenitely be worth it though, much wider beam and further throw.

I will be using OEM FX35/45 projectors, if you look on The Retrofit Source they have their popular FX-R projectors, which are FX-Replicas of the OEM FX35/45's and are known for their wide width so it should be pretty awesome. I will post pics of the progress as I go, but I won't be officially starting until a couple of weeks most likely. I also have some cool goodies i'm going to be throwing in with the build so stay tuned!

New parts my build is going to consist of:

OEM FX35/45 Projectors
FX-R Clear Lenses (to give it a nice sharp colorful cutoff, the OEM FX lenses are frosted)
Morimoto 3five 35w Ballast
OEM Phillips or OEM Orsam CBI bulbs.. haven't decided on which ones yet.
White LED Rings inside of Gatling Gun Shrouds
NEW - 2016 GMC Sierra All Terrain
NEW- 2017 Jeep Renegade Latitude 4x4

TRADED IN -2004 Clipper Blue Isuzu Rodeo - 3.5L DI - Aisin Auto Tranny - 3" Lift, Calmini Upper Links, Skyjacker Shocks (extended rears), 32" Procomp AT Tires, OEM 15" Snowflakes, Headlight Projector Retrofit, Bull Bar, ect..

TOTALED =( -2003 Clipper Blue Isuzu Rodeo

For this post the author clipper 03 rodeo was thanked by:
Dingbat
clipper 03 rodeo
Zu Royalty

Postby gabriel3hc » Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:17 pm

Nice Job!!!!
--White 99 Passport-- 3" Inde4x Lift, Black 15x7 Steels w/31x10.5x15 BFG A/T, Yakima Roof Rack, 00'-02 Headlight assembly and grille, Reverse Glow Gauges, New Sony deck, Alpine component 6.5", 500wt Alpine amp & 12" Kenwood sub.

*Future additions*: Winch bumper, Custom frame sliders, Custom rear bumper with swinging rear tire mount, Locking hubs, 5% tint
gabriel3hc
Drives on Dirt

Have thanks: 1 time

Postby AGonzalez » Thu Jan 15, 2015 4:01 pm

I have an '02 Rodeo LS, is there going to be any difference? Do you have plastic or glass headlights? Lastly, did you have to cute any part of the headlight to install these? If you need top reach me, my # is 409-951-0007
AGonzalez
Drives on Pavement

Postby tleppin » Fri Jul 15, 2016 11:52 am

Thanks for the info! I have a 99 and swapped the 2000 grille and headlights and got the H1 projectors and mini x5-r shrouds. Very happy with the lights!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
tleppin
Drives on Pavement

Previous

Return to Hall of Fame