T case hybrid build- 92 auto gears into mua5- Done !!!

Here are all of the best threads. Alert an admin to nominate a thread

Moderator: Staff

Re: T case hybrid build- 92 auto gears into mua5- Done !!!

Postby bradzuzu » Fri Jan 27, 2012 3:18 pm

Thanks to you and our bs-ing it became a reality !!!
bradzuzu
Donor
Donor

Have thanks: 369 times

Sponsor

Postby prospector1 » Mon Jan 30, 2012 2:18 am

I am getting ready to get my 89 trooper mau5 v6 tranny and would love to get a lower low gear while I am at with out spending 675 for the tera lows. So do you think this would work on a mau5? Hmm any one have some I can try?
prospector1
Mi Amigo

Have thanks: 1 time

Postby bradzuzu » Mon Jan 30, 2012 2:52 am

Should work fine I believe. Find an auto t case between 92-95 I think. If it fit in my 00 case, I don't see why it wouldn't change out in yours either. Just make sure to put the transfer case in low and spin the output flange to verify the 2:66:1 ... Also you could use the back case assembly to change over to a fixed shaft, instead of the slip yoke style.
bradzuzu
Donor
Donor

Postby prospector1 » Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:00 pm

ok next step is to find a auto tcase.
prospector1
Mi Amigo

Have thanks: 1 time

Postby foytiX » Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:28 pm

Has anyone installed a double'r I saw it mentioned early on when talking about ratio's and mph's.
This gear swap is very interesting as I have a 94 auto for parts :twisted:

bradzuzu wrote: Also you could use the back case assembly to change over to a fixed shaft, instead of the slip yoke style.

Ok, brad I'm dumb on this issue :lol: what's the advantage here :?:
'90 trooper 2.6 MUA 3" BL 33's, 5.38 gears, 12 bolt locker, and more http://forum.planetisuzoo.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=499
'94 Trooper MUA "theBeater"....http://forum.planetisuzoo.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=67019
'94 trooper ls.....parts and engine donor
'95 trooper limited.....1" hockey puck lift http://forum.planetisuzoo.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=66472
'98 trooper.........parts and trans donor
foytiX
Almost Joe Isuzu

Have thanks: 86 times

Postby bradzuzu » Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:05 pm

A fixed yoke setup got rid of vibration issues that I was having for one.. In the event you break a u joint you can still drive and not dump out your fluid.. In the short amigo it gave just a little bit more length too..

Bonuses : if a slip yoke,, it's a Chevy spline so you can upgrade yokes at will.. And if you added another t case ,you theoretically plug it right in.. I still have my old case back half , but I think in changing the gears I need to stay with the output shaft that's in there.. When I install my 205 t case it'll just couple to the fixed flange via one u joint..
91 amigo sas toy front leaf- traded off :(
2000 amigo sas d44 wagonear 4 link
custom built buggy ffor the dirty stuff

My build up page
Four link pics
Intake R&R - port and polish

Sometimes trying is all you can do, but when you succeed , that's something to be proud of...
bradzuzu
Donor
Donor

Postby foytiX » Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:28 pm

bradzuzu wrote:Bonuses : if a slip yoke,, it's a Chevy spline so you can upgrade yokes at will.. And if you added another t case ,you theoretically plug it right in.. I still have my old case back half , but I think in changing the gears I need to stay with the output shaft that's in there.. When I install my 205 t case it'll just couple to the fixed flange via one u joint..

This I'm really curious about, I could plug in another isuzu transfer case? Or would I have to get a divorced t.case? Also how would the front drive shaft clear the foremost t.case? Sorry for so many questions, I've never done any upgrades to the trans/t.case. Also this would be on the mua5 for the 2.6 would that make a difference for having the chevy spline?
'90 trooper 2.6 MUA 3" BL 33's, 5.38 gears, 12 bolt locker, and more http://forum.planetisuzoo.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=499
'94 Trooper MUA "theBeater"....http://forum.planetisuzoo.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=67019
'95 trooper limited.....1" hockey puck lift http://forum.planetisuzoo.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=66472
foytiX
Almost Joe Isuzu

Postby bradzuzu » Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:48 pm

Nope !! All the output shaft splines are the same I believe,, atleast from 90 up..
I'm going with a 205 because it has a bigger spread between the input and output yokes.. My plan is to use a two piece shaft and squeak it through the cross member and t case body.. Or cut a section out if the cm and put in a pipe round and use that to house the carrier bearing ..

I few members have gone as far as to cut down the front t case and cap it.. Not sure if they broke apart though .. It might be to much torque with a fixed shaft.. Divorced will seperate load and torque I hope ,, we'll see :)

My build up page
Four link pics

Sometimes trying is all you can do, but when you succeed , that's something to be proud of...
bradzuzu
Donor
Donor

Postby foytiX » Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:51 pm

thx, I guess I need to look and see what others have done
foytiX
Almost Joe Isuzu

Postby trooper T/diesel » Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:50 am

in the 2wds there was 3 different splines over all years 88 up there all 26 spline...
86 and 87 there was 17 and 26 spline all older 2wds are 17 or 10 spline 1980 and back....

but in the 4wds there's only one 26 spline that i know of.

4wds 79/87 have the smaller drive line, and 88/97 have the bigger one. after that 98/04, ive not a clue...on spline count or if the drive line got bigger :?:
all 4wds use the same 26 spline 1979 to 1997 that i know.

i can take a 26 spline yoke from a 1979 4wd LUV and plug it in a GEN2 trooper trans, granted it has the small yoke and is worthless for that auto but it fits..... :|

For this post the author trooper T/diesel was thanked by:
bradzuzu
trooper T/diesel
Almost Joe Isuzu

Have thanks: 21 times

Postby bradzuzu » Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:08 pm

Thanks trooper T !! Good to know,, I can add that the fixed yoke spline from 90- 01 atleast is the same.. The front output is also interchangeable but same size through out.. But some troopers had a cv coming off the front output didn't they ?? And vx's ??

My build up page
Four link pics

bradzuzu
Donor
Donor

Postby trooper T/diesel » Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:00 pm

after typing it and reading. hears some old school info :lol:

the older 81/85 late model MSG 4sps are 5" shorter then the 86/87 MSG5sp front drive line.
same trans just 5" longer for the O\D
all the MSGs use bolt up on bolth ends of the front drive line, no splines.

the MUA is a different trans length and bigger drive line so no easy interchange there.
now granted when doing a 12 bolt up-grade to a 84/86, the 86 10 bolt drive line fits the 12bolt with the 100% stock 86 drive line
so maybe there's some interchange for the front drive line??

79/86 and 87 trooper there like a front drive car, hard mounted axil to frame, and CVs out to the tires.
but i thought all 4wd Isuzu's where that way?
or are you meaning a CV from the trans to the axil??? i don't think there are any of those.

excluding the 87 trop there all 26 spline 1986 back, not 17 spline in the hub that 88 up have, there all 17 spline, best i know.
theres a split about 83/84 the hub splines are the same but the bolt pattern is different, i can't take widely available manual hubs off a LUV 79/82 and put them on a 84/86 trooper :( :( thus OE manual hubs for a 84/86 trop are like un-obtaneum
trooper T/diesel
Almost Joe Isuzu

Have thanks: 21 times

Postby bradzuzu » Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:32 pm

I think the tod t cases have an output cv flange of some sorts , along with vx's... I think I've seen pictures and talk but that's it.. As far as I know the flange spline are still the same..

My build up page
Four link pics

bradzuzu
Donor
Donor

Postby SRN » Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:44 pm

OK, so this may be a stupid question but: if you had the same generation vehicle (2nd) could you just pull the t-case from the auto and bolt it right up to the manual? I read through your whole report (great, job BTW) and while I'm confident I have the mechanical aptitude to do what you did, it'd be a hell of a lot easier if I could just bolt that sucker up!
Stephen Nielson

stephennielson.com
SRN
Super Trooper

Have thanks: 16 times

Postby bradzuzu » Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:41 pm

If your vehicle has an auto in it then you would be able to unbolt and swap t cases .. The MUA 5 speeds are all one piece integrated..
One other thing worth mentioning in swapping these gears (as I'm writing this I'm remembering these are non syncroed ) , but I think there was room for them, so these gear sets could be put into the mid to late 90's rigs (manual Trans) easier than my late model , because the shifter already has the longer throw in the shifter rails... (De-tent locations)

My build up page
Four link pics

bradzuzu
Donor
Donor

Postby SRN » Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:31 pm

Ok, next question. By swapping all the synchro components over, would this give you the capability to shift on the fly?
I've been looking through my FSM and your writeup side by side and think that I'm gonna give this the old college try (my history degree has to be worth something! :D) in the summer.
Stephen Nielson

stephennielson.com
SRN
Super Trooper

Have thanks: 16 times

Postby bradzuzu » Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:49 pm

I really think its possible , the spacing was there ... But if the gears don't have the synchro bevel then no it won't work.. I'd have to scan back through this to see if I changed all of the gears or just the low drive side along with the tail shaft.. Just remembered the center cluster (counter shaft) is one piece so all the gears got swapped.. Maybe the gears did have the tapper for the synchro's , it would be inside the bevel... Be a great write up to add to this !!

My build up page
Four link pics

bradzuzu
Donor
Donor

Postby psguardian » Mon Mar 25, 2013 6:18 pm

The one case of double Isuzu t-cases I saw was not street safe, for one reason: the cut & capped front t-case had half the fluid volume & would overheat at highway speeds.

You would need to create an oil cooling system for the front t-case. A shared fluid system might be an option, but the complexity of making sure neither case was starved of fluid makes it unlikely.

~psguardian
hot 2.6L build
Her Rig: '06 TrailBlazer Ext 4.0L Strait 6 (my Daily Driver till my rig is street legal)
Dae wrote:Jerry is the Chuck Norris of Isuzu's, he could build one blind folded with one arm behind his back if he had to. :lol:

PNW Zoo Facebook Group
psguardian
Almost Joe Isuzu

Have thanks: 26 times

Postby troy » Sat Aug 23, 2014 3:45 am

psguardian wrote:The one case of double Isuzu t-cases I saw was not street safe, for one reason: the cut & capped front t-case had half the fluid volume & would overheat at highway speeds.

You would need to create an oil cooling system for the front t-case. A shared fluid system might be an option, but the complexity of making sure neither case was starved of fluid makes it unlikely.

~psguardian

On mine, i drilled holes so the tcase and tranny shared an oil bath. I later added a pump and oil cooler to help cool the fluid on long road trips. Anyone know what temps a normal non chopped in half tcase gets up to.
troy
Drives in Mud

Have thanks: 2 times

Postby bradzuzu » Sat Aug 23, 2014 12:29 pm

Most gear cases get up in the 200 range, I would imagine the cut down case would see 300 plus..

My build up page
Four link pics

bradzuzu
Donor
Donor

Postby troy » Mon Aug 25, 2014 5:17 pm

Mine would sit around 225 if i remember, but i would turn on the pump and run it when going on long trips and it would cool it down quite a bit.
troy
Drives in Mud

Have thanks: 2 times

Postby bradzuzu » Tue Aug 26, 2014 1:57 am

225 isn't that bad really,if you use synthetic it might even run cooler.. Didn't you drill ports into the Trans case so they'd share fluid anyway ?? I'd imagine that'd keep the temp down..

I need to work on my 205 t case install but it's so tight under there !!

My build up page
Four link pics

bradzuzu
Donor
Donor

Postby jacovolmer » Wed Jul 20, 2016 2:46 pm

Hi, very old thread but I just need help, spotted something in a pic that bothers me.

We are changing all the gears in the TC and the hub clutch with that big nut wont come off, I dont have a puller, BUT i dont want to remove that, problem is the middle shaft wont come out because the hub clutch is still in place. Please see the pic I am attaching, its your pic, the bit in red needs to come out, I want to change that bearing, the other shaft and gear is in the way though but your pic suggests you got it out without removing that gear you trying to pull.

Thanks in advance!
Jaco
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by jacovolmer on Wed Jul 20, 2016 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jacovolmer
Drives on Pavement

Have thanks: 0 time

Postby jacovolmer » Wed Jul 20, 2016 3:06 pm

Had a dumb idea, removed my comment in this post :)
Last edited by jacovolmer on Wed Jul 20, 2016 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jacovolmer
Drives on Pavement

Postby jacovolmer » Wed Jul 20, 2016 3:27 pm

lol, its not that! I should not guess as an IT guy!
jacovolmer
Drives on Pavement

PreviousNext

Return to Hall of Fame